Korean Cosmetics, is it standard?

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
LdyPixie

Korean Cosmetics, is it standard?

Post by LdyPixie » Nov 28th, '07, 10:17

In most kdramas I've seen, the female lead usually has a vanity dresser with piles and piles of cosmetics littering the entire surface. I was just wondering, what is that stuff? Particularly those paper masks things. Because if there's some secret to facial care, I definitely want to know. But I also wanted to know, is it standard to have that much stuff? Of course I understand that dramas are dramatizations, but I've also been told that a lot of Koreans tend to be conscientious about their looks. There's nothing wrong with looking good!

The only things sitting on my dresser is some lotion, astringent, and perfume. I feel like I'm missing out or something.

belleza

Re: Korean Cosmetics, is it standard?

Post by belleza » Nov 29th, '07, 00:24

Because if there's some secret to facial care, I definitely want to know. But I also wanted to know, is it standard to have that much stuff?
Generally that's the stereotype. If you go to the local market at midnight without makeup, you're probably not Korean. ;) In fact, if you have a lot of Korean friends, it's really useful to ask them advice on beauty tips and general makeup advice for your skin tone and maintaining clear skin.

Back in the 80s, Korean women used to wear pounds of junk (I noticed this with my friends too.) Bright lipstick, way too mascara, just a gaudy mess. And sometimes when you see older ajuhmma characters, they still do the makeup in that way. Then in the 90s, it transitioned toward a more naturalistic look, as you see today.

It's not really about projecting a youthful, innocent image, per se. You don't want to look like you're 13 years old. Korean notion of beauty is intrinsically tied to projecting an image of professional success, which is kinda drilled into you in your preteens. So, a 15 year old is capable of looking 25. And the 45 year old is capable of looking 35. Then having this foundation, then you can move it toward looking "trendy."

kaasbris

Re: Korean Cosmetics, is it standard?

Post by kaasbris » Dec 3rd, '07, 02:29

LdyPixie wrote: But I also wanted to know, is it standard to have that much stuff?
Yes. I am a guy so don't know anything about it, but my mom and sister have lots of cosmetics - too many IMO still keep buying when new version is available.

And that "Mask" thing. It's quite popular - even some guys do it every night to keep skin young. Sorry I don't know exact name but I call it "pack".