North Korea Publicly Executes Youths For Watching S.K Dramas

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
christaluvsdrama

North Korea Publicly Executes Youths For Watching S.K Dramas

Post by christaluvsdrama » Aug 31st, '07, 05:14

As many of us know, North Korea isn't the best place to ever live right now. The news on this is some few months old, but I just recently heard about it and thought to share it with everyone.

Seoul Authorities are doing a crackdown in North Korea for imports of South Korean pop culture such as tv drama's, movies and music. South Korean Entertainment has already taken the world by storm as there are many ppl around the world who love all the dramas, movies and music. N.K & S.K are next door neighbors basically, so its only natural that the many ppl want to absorb each others entertainment. Though in N.K is its under the dictatorship of a communist Kim Jong-il, so whatever he says goes ya know. Some would buy it when crossing the border into China or some would watch through Chinese TV Satelite signals, but doing so came at a heavy price for some youths.

http://www.rfa.org/english/korean/2007/ ... orea_wave/
:wub: :thumleft: Image :thumright: :wub:
ImageImage
Love will come to you like the blowing of the wind....Quote by me

ktnew

Post by ktnew » Aug 31st, '07, 05:46

its so sad to know that this can happen to people for such an innocent thing....my thoughts are with their familys. I hope something can be done about the situation with NK, theres no need for such things to happen! :'(

babydancer

Post by babydancer » Aug 31st, '07, 05:53

So basically..all the Korean dramas from SK are banned?
That sucks for the people who doesn't have the freedom to watch SK dramas :(

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Aug 31st, '07, 08:48

i didnt think Kim Jong-il would behave like this to the korean's. although its North and South, its still all Korea. is he jealous or something. i guess the North doesnt have pop songs then. i feel sorry for the North and hope one day they will be joined in peace

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Aug 31st, '07, 08:55

how can they do that????
all youth's have the right to enjoy themselves!!!!!!!!!
[/size] :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Aug 31st, '07, 12:58

They don't deserve to be publicly executed after watching Winter Sonata - A public flogging should suffice! Heck, I'd probably volunteer if I had to endure Choi Ji Woo for 20 long hours.

But all jokes aside, this is just totally wrong.

Chrisswe

Post by Chrisswe » Aug 31st, '07, 13:08

Its really sad that there are places like this still left on earth. I'm ashamed of belonging to the same species as Kim Jong Ill. I really hope northkorea gets "liberated" someday.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Aug 31st, '07, 13:27

Obviously Kim Jong-il doesn't want people to see the dramas because he feels they glorify Capitalism by featuring rich characters and showing their wealth. The same reason why Meteor Garden was banned in Mainland China.

namja23

Post by namja23 » Aug 31st, '07, 14:48

This kind of thing makes me wonder if Unification is even possible nowadays.
With all the foreign pressures, will Korea ever be what it once was?

dokidoki.00021

Post by dokidoki.00021 » Aug 31st, '07, 21:56

^Yes.

I know people will be confused by this....but my mom is a supporter of DPRK (N.Korea) because growing up and raising me and my two sisters the country was very helpful to us. I don't agree with communist beliefs but my mom isn't aganist the country and it's ways. Where as my uncle is a supporter of Mindan so growing up there were lots of arguements between my mom and her brother. Even though she lives in South Korea, has finally established herself as a South Korean citizen and to an extent embracies South Koreans she finds their depiction of Communism wrong. I've been to North Korea only once and there's not many things I remember but it wasn't as people think, honestly. Well, I don't want to give my opinion of this (not that it will be bias, it's just.....I don't want to) but I just want to say in a few years the situation will get better, I know.

aa

Post by aa » Sep 1st, '07, 05:49

dokidoki.00021 wrote:^Yes.

I know people will be confused by this....but my mom is a supporter of DPRK (N.Korea) because growing up and raising me and my two sisters the country was very helpful to us. I don't agree with communist beliefs but my mom isn't aganist the country and it's ways. Where as my uncle is a supporter of Mindan so growing up there were lots of arguements between my mom and her brother. Even though she lives in South Korea, has finally established herself as a South Korean citizen and to an extent embracies South Koreans she finds their depiction of Communism wrong. I've been to North Korea only once and there's not many things I remember but it wasn't as people think, honestly. Well, I don't want to give my opinion of this (not that it will be bias, it's just.....I don't want to) but I just want to say in a few years the situation will get better, I know.
:scratch: Count me as one of the confused. Case-by-case I suppose it helped that your family benefited or more like your mom, but what about the many thousands to the millions of other North Koreans there who don't benefit or are under the false impression that they are benefitting... (rhetorical question). Your family must've been part of the more elite group to have recieved help (of course this is just speculation based on other stories).

bodychariot

Post by bodychariot » Sep 2nd, '07, 00:52

Its just always a shame, even if North Korea is better than what we think we always hear stories like this...I would love to see N Korea unite with the south someday but I always wonder if that will ever happen. Also since I am an American national I cannot visit much of north korea other than when they have the mass games...someday i'd like to see that.

Tatsudoshiko

Post by Tatsudoshiko » Sep 2nd, '07, 01:12

This is outrageous.
It sounds like N.Korea just starting to become the new Hilter...well the president not the people. :unsure:

remoted

Post by remoted » Sep 2nd, '07, 01:24

babydancer wrote:So basically..all the Korean dramas from SK are banned?
That sucks for the people who doesn't have the freedom to watch SK dramas :(
They basically don't have the freedom to watch anything outside of North Korea.

I remember watching a docudrama about the mass games in North Korea. They showed a dancer from an elite family who received a television set from the government. There was only one channel, with programming relating only to communism. Plus, not many families in NK own a tv set, so contact with SK entertainment is hard to come by. Unless, they perform the risks that the article pointed out.

doohyunee

Post by doohyunee » Sep 6th, '07, 05:33

dokidoki.00021 wrote:^Yes.

sounds like your mom is a member of jochongryun living in s. korea.
note that in s. korea it's illegal to praise, spread, propagate, practice or even sympathize any ideology (communism for the most cases) which can be a threat to the nation, and can be jailed for max 7 years.
s. korea isn't that different from n. korea when it comes to national security, we do not allow any sign of communism, or at least, we used to be that way till 90's.
i would be very very careful if i were your mom.

PJB

Post by PJB » Sep 9th, '07, 22:28

It might sound strange, but I think the more influence that comes from the outside, then one day the North Korean people might sound a call to arms against the government. One pebble drop in the ocean can change everything surrounding it, afterall. That would have two ways of ending, either a bloodbath or a success.

Enki

Post by Enki » Sep 12th, '07, 05:57

I asked about this. It's an urban legend.

dima
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dima » Sep 12th, '07, 16:02

Néa Vanille wrote:Obviously Kim Jong-il doesn't want people to see the dramas because he feels they glorify Capitalism by featuring rich characters and showing their wealth. The same reason why Meteor Garden was banned in Mainland China.
Hmm dunno about that but the mainland Chinese I spoke to knew Meteor Garden characters which means they must have watched it. Could have been pirated though.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Sep 13th, '07, 05:14

It may very well be legally available now, but it was banned at some point.

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Sep 22nd, '07, 13:14

This kind of reports are nothing but propaganda. All I gotta say is don't believe everything you read, see, or hear.