Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Korean Sauna (Jjimjilbang)

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
Geisha

Korean Sauna (Jjimjilbang)

Post by Geisha » Jun 27th, '07, 21:55

i'm sure you've seen it in at least one Kdrama.... so i was wondering how they work. i found this page.... it looks very informative
http://english.tour2korea.com/03Sightse ... &kosm=m3_9

unlike a Japanese Sento, where you only get to bathe, here you can sleep, watch TV, eat, surf the net... and god knows what else!

so i was wondering.. has anyone been to one of these? they look so fun! and also if there are any here in NYC. i would love to go to one.

share pics and stories!!

Pao

boombarabam

Post by boombarabam » Jun 28th, '07, 07:37

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/28/fashi ... nd&emc=rss

Read this interesting article a while ago... :-)

shalaku

Post by shalaku » Jul 11th, '07, 08:25

ggod link.. thanks for sharing

vancouver927

Post by vancouver927 » Jul 11th, '07, 23:46

I love them!! The one bad thing is sometimes you can get stuck spending a lot of time there. Between the sauna, massage, pool and gym...

My mom and cousin said they were in there for like 7 or 8 hours once. :D

Up until May, I only saw them in Korea, but then I went to LA and I saw one. So I'm sure there must be at least a few in NY. There are enough Korean people there to support at least a few of them...

babyviolet

Post by babyviolet » Jul 12th, '07, 00:13

vancouver927 wrote:I love them!! The one bad thing is sometimes you can get stuck spending a lot of time there. Between the sauna, massage, pool and gym...

Up until May, I only saw them in Korea, but then I went to LA and I saw one. So I'm sure there must be at least a few in NY. There are enough Korean people there to support at least a few of them...
where's in LA?

tCx

Post by tCx » Jul 12th, '07, 12:54

vancouver927 wrote:I love them!! The one bad thing is sometimes you can get stuck spending a lot of time there. Between the sauna, massage, pool and gym...

my Korean friend told me that they have 1 in GVA (Greater Vancouver Area for you out of towners) too.. it's called JJ spa plus on Christmas Way in Coquitlam (behind Just Ladies Fitness)

vancouver927

Post by vancouver927 » Jul 12th, '07, 19:42

where in LA /

In between Western and Vermont and about a block north of Wilshire Blvd? I think there are a bunch of doctors offices right across the street from it.

I could have sworn I saw a building that said "찜질방" on it...

vancouver927

Post by vancouver927 » Jul 12th, '07, 19:45

tCx wrote:

my Korean friend told me that they have 1 in GVA (Greater Vancouver Area for you out of towners) too.. it's called JJ spa plus on Christmas Way in Coquitlam (behind Just Ladies Fitness)

Hey,

For the longest time my cousin and I thought that was an extension to the gym. Well I guess now I know what it is, thanks!

tCx

Post by tCx » Jul 14th, '07, 00:04

you're welcome.. and here's a little bit of a clip regarding that place....
http://www.cbc.ca/livingvancouver/?page=segment&sid=476

Rakkie

Post by Rakkie » Jul 15th, '07, 06:13

i've been to them plenty of times (it is cheap accommodation for the night!)

it's pretty weird the first time, being the only white guy and having to be naked
in front of all these korean men staring at you, but after that i got used to it.

some of the rooms i saw were saunas, icy cold rooms, rooms with hot rocks, sleeping rooms, comic rooms, internet rooms, restaurants, movie rooms

on weekends, lots of families will go together for the night,
and young couples do it as a romantic thing as well.

oh, and occasionally you will find a xenophobic one that will not let foreigners in.