Korean 16 and Japan 11..WHY?

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
1aco

Korean 16 and Japan 11..WHY?

Post by 1aco » Jun 25th, '07, 00:10

Hey..
This Q may sound stupid but I gonna ask anyway...

Does anyone know the reason why the Korean Drama are almost always 16 Ep... Do you find it an ok number? because sometime I think they just add things into the dramas just so they can reach that magical number...
The same goes for JDrama why 11.. there have to be a reason right????

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jun 25th, '07, 00:24

:lol I've wondered that myself. I think it's because of the way they schedule their shows, but that's just a guess. If there is some other reason please correct me.

groink

Post by groink » Jun 25th, '07, 03:35

Simple: Korean TV has three seasons per year. Japanese TV has four seasons per year.

--- groink

FoolyDooly

Post by FoolyDooly » Jun 25th, '07, 20:25

groink wrote:Simple: Korean TV has three seasons per year. Japanese TV has four seasons per year.

--- groink
Definately agreed. Korean things are "gae-pyun"-ed (개편; or programmed) as Spring-Summer, Fall, then Winter. Japan follows more-or-less 3-months broadcast schedule when things need a line-up change.

Hikari_sama

Post by Hikari_sama » Jun 25th, '07, 20:38

aaaahhhh *O* I've always wondered why was that...
now everything makes sense XD thank you for the explanation ^-^
and I think this way is much better, because I'm actualy used to watch american sitcoms and they're too mean u_u, there's usually one season per year.
but thank God in Asia is sooo not like that XD the dramas are too good for us to wait too long ;_;~ xD

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jun 25th, '07, 20:48

Actually, this year we are already on our 3rd Korean drama 'season'. The first one started in January, the second in March and the newest in May (meaning, in these 3 months, the bulk of new prime-time dramas started, although one or two had their premier the following month). Very many dramas have to air every year because Korean dramas air twice a week, usually on two consecutive days. This means, with a typical 16 episode Korean drama, it takes 8 weeks to complete the series, whereas a Japanese drama takes 10 to 11 weeks. However, there is more liberty given to Korean dramas in terms of how many episodes they may have, and there are a few dramas with 20-28 episodes every time a series of new dramas start which finish a little later than the rest. For this reason, it is difficult to put them into neat seasons.

Unlike Japanese dramas, Korean dramas also air commercial-free, so the typical KDrama episode is 60-70 minutes long to fill the timeslot.

Edit: did some reasearch and checked out the KDrama schedule thread on the With S2 board, and yes - definitely not just 3 seasons, at least not this year.

There are 3 stations in Korea that air Korean dramas, plus 2 cable ones which air about 2 indie ones a year that include horror and/or nudity, but let's not consider those. These 3 stations are SBS, KBS and MBC and they have two spots for trendy dramas per week - Monday/Tuesday and Wednesday/Thursday. There are also weekend dramas which sometimes get subbed, their main difference being that they may be up to 50 episodes long, or multi-seasonal, so the weekend dramas are special in a way. Weekend dramas also often deal with more unusual plots - for example, the current Air City, which is a detective/action drama, is a weekend drama.

Every 2 months, the bulk of new trendy dramas starts airing, 2 on each channel, with the weekend dramas starting earlier or later. So, at least for trendy dramas on the 3 main channels which air Mo/Tue and Wed/Thu, it's more appropriate to say they have 6 seasons.
Last edited by Néa Vanille on Jun 25th, '07, 21:13, edited 2 times in total.

FoolyDooly

Post by FoolyDooly » Jun 25th, '07, 21:09

Néa Vanille wrote:There are 3 stations in Korea that air Korean dramas, plus 2 cable ones which air about 2 indie ones a year that include horror and/or nudity, but let's not consider those. These 3 stations are SBS, KBS and MBC and they have two spots for trendy dramas per week - Monday/Tuesday and Thursday/Wednesday. There are also weekend dramas which sometimes get subbed, their main difference being that they may be up to 50 episodes long, or multi-seasonal, so the weekend dramas are special in a way..
Technically, four. KBS has Station 1 and Station 2.

I'll take over the drama timing. Most of them are at night. Slots are monday-tuesday, wends-thurs, friday only, weekday only, and weekend only. Most dramas are 9PM-12AM, but some weekday dramas are shown in morning, all of them being in KBS.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jun 25th, '07, 21:23

Friday and Daily dramas never get subbed, though, and are pretty much a non-issue, so I didn't mention those.

What the OP was asking about are trendy dramas, the ones which air from 9:55 to about 10:55 twice a week.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jun 25th, '07, 21:25

This kind of makes me wonder why Taiwan has such bizarre scheduling. The average is about 20 or 30 episodes and a lot of the shows air more than once a week. I always thought that was strange. Though I guess Korean does that often too.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jun 25th, '07, 21:32

The way Korean dramas are aired is probably their biggest flaw, and to me their only one. Imagine how stressful it must be to film 2 hours worth of material per week, all that while the show is already airing with the network ready to change things around to please the viewers. Even though there are a few who are able to produce great writing regardless of pressure, most notably Kim Ji Woo, for the majority of writers it's very difficult to write well under the circumstances.

FoolyDooly

Post by FoolyDooly » Jun 25th, '07, 21:52

Néa Vanille wrote:Friday and Daily dramas never get subbed, though, and are pretty much a non-issue, so I didn't mention those.

What the OP was asking about are trendy dramas, the ones which air from 9:55 to about 10:55 twice a week.
Yea, they're rarely subbed. Only exception I seen were Hanulmankum Ttangmankum (High as a sky...).

And I agree. Scheduling is very, very, bizzare.

Hikari_sama

Post by Hikari_sama » Jun 25th, '07, 22:10

Wow! :blink Much more confusing than I thought! XD But I got the idea. I didn't know the drama production ws that big. I knew it was big, but i'm really impressed. XD But I still have a doubt... For example, some drama is recording the episode 11 and 12 this week, but that week on TV they'll be exhibiting both? They should be at least two weeks advanced, shouldn't they? Because for example, if happens something wrong with 11 and 12 episode's recording they can fix it calmly because on TV the drama is still on the episode 8. They're kind of dumb if they don't take and advance into the recording before starting to exhibit the drama :| And yes it will be stressful and HARD to everyone, actors, producers... And how do you know all of that Néa Vanille? *-* Do you have acess to these channels over there in Germany or you just searched for this kind of information yourself?

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jun 25th, '07, 22:49

I got that information from a schedule thread on another forum.

I don't know how long in advance the episodes are shot.. but it does seem to me like they are finalizing episodes shortly before they air. There was an incident about a year ago with a Korean drama called Wolf, in which 2 of the main actors got into an accident on set after 2 or 3 of the scheduled 16 episodes had been aired. I believe they were shooting episode 4 at the time. The show had to be cancelled due to this.

This is why pre-shot dramas are generally better, not only do shows not have to be cancelled because someone got into an accident, but also because it allows the writers more time and leeway to finish dramas the way they want them to. I don't know whether Japanese dramas completely finish shooting before they start airing, but I do think that Japanese drama writers almost always finish writing in advance, which I think is the much better approach.