Korean Food that you start eating after watching K-Drama!

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
Choknut

Korean Food that you start eating after watching K-Drama!

Post by Choknut » Apr 28th, '07, 23:22

Hi everyone! Obviously i'm not korean... I've been watching korean drama for about 3-4 years now, so I've seen a lot :D and I have to say that it really affected my eating habits!!! I wasn't fond of spicy food so I was never really into Korean, Viet, Thai etc.. 'cause of the the spicyness: but everything changed after watching Korean Drama:

My List: Have you ever seen KDrama without these foods??? :D

1. Ramen --- OMG! They eat so much ramen in k-dramas! at first i was like, that's the 10th pack of ramen already on this episode... but what's so weird is, the more you watch it, I started to crave for korean RAMEN! not the cheap/tasteless nissin's ramen version. It has to be the spicy, red, and fat once !! The Shin RAMEN!!! :D
Oh yeah! this is embarassing, but I started eating it on those iron pot and try to SLURP it like the way they do it, while it's boiling, of course!

2. Korean BBQ (Bulggogi --- beef) You see this on every drama!!! I love it when I wrap the meat in those lettuce to make wrap.. I get upset if i don't get to cook my own meat (****embarrass).. heheheh it ruins the experience if you don't get to cook! right? it taste different... 8)

3. Kimchi -- I didn't know that there's so many types of Kimchi.

4. Dukbokgi -- you always see the actors eating these in the street corners. There's always an ajjuma that sells these in many k-drama. It took me forever find dukbokgi! not a lot of korean rest. sell it! it's so red and super spicy!! It killed my taste buds but I still ate it!!

5. Bean Paste Soup: I forgot what they call this.. This is LDG's favorite in Sweet 18..hehhehe.. I love it when they start eating it while it still boiling!

FINALLY!!! SOJU: ahhhhh! soju! I tried it several times!!! I'm not a drinker... so didn't empty the bottle..hehehehehe!! did you ever find yourself making the gurgling sound that they make after having a SHOT??? :P

When you find yourself eating and drinking these stuff, you're obviously a sign that you're a K-Drama addict. Anyone out there experiencing the same thing? :w00t:
Last edited by Choknut on Apr 29th, '07, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.

desikuri06

Post by desikuri06 » Apr 28th, '07, 23:46

lol...Yes same goes 4 me,,BTW soju is alchahol rite?...2 bad i can't drink any:(..poor me.

Choknut

Post by Choknut » Apr 29th, '07, 01:07

desikuri06 wrote:lol...Yes same goes 4 me,,BTW soju is alchahol rite?...2 bad i can't drink any:(..poor me.
Yep! I don't really like it that much!!! I can probably drink like 3 shots of suju in total...but it is fun trying out something different and experience something you see so often in TV!! :D

(try it when you turn legal...hehehe ehehe just to taste... not to get drunk! unless you have someone to carry you on their back! :whistling: )

jest2

Post by jest2 » Apr 29th, '07, 01:10

From Only You and Delicious Proposal . . .
I dropped by a Korean shop in the city to try Zajang Mein. (Noodle with Black Bean paste)

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Apr 29th, '07, 16:55

Nice topic! Here's what I started eating (and drinking) after watching k-dramas:

Ramen - My first ever k-drama Full House I saw cups of Ramen all over SHK's hotel room. So I thought if it's good enough for her, then it's good enough for me. I've been eating it ever since, probably at least every 2nd day.

Soju - Tastes kinda bitter, but if you drink it in one go, it's quite nice. Goes well with Korean food. You'll be hard pressed to find a k-drama that doesn't have a bottle of Soju lying around somewhere.

Jjajangmyun - Not sure of the spelling, but it's the black bean sauce noodles you'll see Han Ye Seul's character crave for in Fantasy Couple. Generally I don't really like it that much, but it does hit the spot once in a while.

Shikhye - A very sweet refreshing drink (rice punch). I actually found out about this whilst looking for rice wine (also in Fantasy Couple), but only discovered the rice punch. One of my favorite drinks at the moment.

I have eaten some other stuff at Korean restaurants but can't remember the names. One of them is a spicy beef dish with rice, kim-chi and sweet potato. I can't get enough of this one....and usually have it at least once a week.

Some others I can't remember and plenty of stuff still to try. One of them being live octopus legs as seen in My Name is Kim Sam Soon, and also a whole live baby octopus as seen in the movie Oldboy. But it's not available in Australia so I'll have to wait until I travel to Korea to sink my teeth into those slimy little buggers :roll

dhkimboa

Post by dhkimboa » Apr 30th, '07, 05:29

i wont say i started eating korean food since i started watching kdramas cause im korean :P

btw, this is a real nice topic ^^
cheers!

chiakisama

Post by chiakisama » Apr 30th, '07, 05:42

That's so funny, I totally agree. I just tried jajangmyun for the first time, but I didn't like it. Is it supposed to be bland? And then this afternoon I ate kimchi octopus, very good. Does anyone know what Kim Sam Soon's mom and sister are eating out of a metal bowl that looks so delicious while she's eating her diet steak, and then she sneaks it at night? Whatever it is, I'm dying to try it....

baby_shin

Post by baby_shin » Apr 30th, '07, 05:57

chiakisama wrote:That's so funny, I totally agree. I just tried jajangmyun for the first time, but I didn't like it. Is it supposed to be bland? And then this afternoon I ate kimchi octopus, very good. Does anyone know what Kim Sam Soon's mom and sister are eating out of a metal bowl that looks so delicious while she's eating her diet steak, and then she sneaks it at night? Whatever it is, I'm dying to try it....
LOL~~
I think they call this bimbimbap?? (spelling??)
it's kinda mix of everything they have in the fridge with rice and kimchi, just like what SHK always eat in the FULL House.
I think for Korean, as long as there are kimchi, anything will taste nice :)

I'm not korean but I LOVE korean food!!
Have you guys tried making kimchie bokum bap? (kimchie fried rice)
its very nice!!
use your leftover rice and mix them with kimchi on the stir fry pan, it's like the chinese fried rice but with kimchie :)

btw, just finished my lunch and it was the Kimchie ramen LOL~~
On Saturday I made some Bulgogi beef and pork, and eat with kimchi ...YUMMY!!!
I should have married a Korean LOL~

babyviolet

Post by babyviolet » Apr 30th, '07, 06:08

I was going crazy looking for the black bean noodle coz I watched fantasy couple. I even bought the instant black bean noodle in korean supermarket. One time I went to korean town in LA and looked for the black bean noodle and they told me that it's chinese food not korean, is that true?

elden41

Post by elden41 » Apr 30th, '07, 06:38

babyviolet wrote:I was going crazy looking for the black bean noodle coz I watched fantasy couple. I even bought the instant black bean noodle in korean supermarket. One time I went to korean town in LA and looked for the black bean noodle and they told me that it's chinese food not korean, is that true?
It's partly true. It's considered Chinese/Korean and is a little more difficult to find than the aforementioned dishes. This thread is really making crave now.

nadesico
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by nadesico » Apr 30th, '07, 06:57

haha, nice topic!
From Fantasy couple:jajamyung;She was eating it at each episode, I finally found it last week and it was really delicious!!
From Dal Ja Spring: Ginseng chicken(don't know the korean name).I didn't think I'll be able to find that dish in my favorite restaurant...Everybody should try it, it's almost my favorite dish.It's good for stamina!!
From Kim Sam Soon: many, many dishes!!Bibimpap, soju, ramen and in particular that pork barbecue you eat with lettuce leaf...ha, korean cuisine is the best, really

dhkimboa

Post by dhkimboa » Apr 30th, '07, 07:00

omg.... 2 it's am here bout to go to sleep
and you guys are just making me hungry...

I should go to sleep now

LOVE LIVE TO HIS ROKING THREAT!

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Apr 30th, '07, 16:47

Jjajangmyun!!

han ye seul in fantasy couple
and manager lee in witch yoo hee
both of which im currently watching

it looks so good! and i love how they always get the black paste all over their face while eating it.

Choknut

Post by Choknut » Apr 30th, '07, 19:55

kobe23 wrote:
Jjajangmyun - Not sure of the spelling, but it's the black bean sauce noodles you'll see Han Ye Seul's character crave for in Fantasy Couple. Generally I don't really like it that much, but it does hit the spot once in a while.
Hehehehehe...
Oh! I forgot about that! because i didn't know the name? Is it suppose to be sweet or spicy like the other korean food? I have to taste that.. they do eat a lot of those in fantasy couple, delicious proposal, and super rookie.. i'm sure there's more drama!!!

One thing that I don't think i have the nerve to EAT :crazy: .. and the Live Octopus!! I'm too scared!! (Kim Sam Soom) ... Also, You know sometimes they have some fresh green Pepper!! And they just BITE it, like it's nothing!! I'm so fascinated with that :D

baby_shin

Post by baby_shin » May 1st, '07, 05:23

found this website: http://www.trifood.com/chajangmyun.html

make me wanna eat them alllll........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » May 1st, '07, 05:36

i started eating jjangmyun after watching fantasy couple. after watching her eating that every episodes makes everyone craves for it.

and i like to eat the dishes in my love patzzi where kim jae won was eating with jang nara and the dishes seems really delicious.. :roll

chiakisama

Post by chiakisama » May 1st, '07, 05:49

Thanks baby_shin, great avatar. I think I need to try Bibimpap.
Choknut, I just tried jajangmyun at a place in SF after watching everyone eat it in Witch Amusement, and it was really bland, not sweet or spicy at all. I don't know what I was expecting, but everyone always looks so happy eating it, I thought it would be comfort food like mapo dofu or something. Maybe I'll try to make it myself.
Nadesico, where did you find it and what did it taste like?

Number 11 Ox

Post by Number 11 Ox » May 1st, '07, 05:50

chiakisama wrote:That's so funny, I totally agree. I just tried jajangmyun for the first time, but I didn't like it. Is it supposed to be bland?
As other posters noted, it was originally a Chinese dish. The first zhajiangmian I tried was cooked by my uncle (he's from Sichuan province in China), and it was fantastic and mouth-burningly spicy. The noodles get darkened, but they're not smothered in thick sauce -- the noodles themselves get "dyed" during the cooking and end up brown-coloured. My uncle's version also used ground beef and green peas!

When a Korean friend introduced me to the Korean version in New York, I was totally disappointed -- it was sweet rather than spicy and -- like you said -- totally bland in comparison.

When I eat the Korean-style in Beijing, I add a ton of chili pepper to it, which makes a world of difference. While watching Fantasy Couple, I ate it on a regular basis!

I'm glad that they mention Sichuan-style in one of the later episodes (one of the best romantic scenes ever, where they mention the many different varieties). I'd hate to think Koreans never got to experience Chinese-style zhajiangmian.

angel_rina

Post by angel_rina » May 1st, '07, 05:52

I started eating korean food when my korean boss treat us in a korean restuarant..
hehehe
Here's my favorite korean food.

1. Kimchi: yum yum

Pogi Kimchi - made with whole cabbages
Bossam Kimchi - wrapped in large cabbage leaves

2.Bulgogi - beef barbeque.. so yummy

3. Samgupsal (im not sure if the spelling is correct)

and of course

4. Soju - :lol
-

chiakisama

Post by chiakisama » May 1st, '07, 05:56

Number 11 Ox, your uncle's version is what I want to try. Unless you got the recipe, guess I'll start looking at Sichuan takeout restaurants :)

AnimeLocoChika

Re: Korean Food that you start eating after watching K-Drama

Post by AnimeLocoChika » May 1st, '07, 09:40

Choknut wrote:
1. Ramen --- OMG! They eat so much ramen in k-dramas! at first i was like, that's the 10th pack of ramen already on this episode... but what's so weird is, the more you watch it, I started to crave for korean RAMEN! not the cheap/tasteless nissin's ramen version. It has to be the spicy, red, and fat once !! The Shin RAMEN!!! :D
Waaa...Shin Ramen is my all time favor ramen :D :wub: . I think it's the spiciest ramen i've ever tried **unless i add in some hot sauce :thumleft: **

umm the rice cake from... **let's see Lovers in Paris when the main girl made the guy some and he hates everything about it (the sweet, the sour, the spicyness) but still eat it anyway** .. is really good. i don't know what it's called in korean though.

Korean(along with Thai, chinese, viet, and sushi) just became my favorite type of food. But it's really hard to find a good restaurant where i live. But i have some korean friends so i always go over and raid their fridge :P :P

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » May 1st, '07, 12:57

Choknut wrote:
kobe23 wrote:
Hehehehehe...
Oh! I forgot about that! because i didn't know the name? Is it suppose to be sweet or spicy like the other korean food? I have to taste that.. they do eat a lot of those in fantasy couple, delicious proposal, and super rookie.. i'm sure there's more drama!!!
The version I ate was kinda salty....but not that salty....it's kinda bland really :) It wasn't spicy at all, but perhaps you have to specify whether you want it spicy or not. They also gave me some of that yellow stuff that looks like lemon from a distance. It was in Fantasy Couple as well. Anyone know what that is?
One thing that I don't think i have the nerve to EAT :crazy: .. and the Live Octopus!! I'm too scared!! (Kim Sam Soom)

Pfft...nothing to be scared of. The octopus legs wiggle around just like worms, which I'm sure everyone has eaten before, so it shouldn't be a problem :P What IS scary however, is eating the WHOLE octopus, it looks like you can get strangled by it and die of suffocation.

Here's a youtube video of these two American guys eathing a whole octopus:

*** WARNING: THIS VIDEO CONTAINS SOME DISTURBING IMAGES ***

Click at your own risk!

arabian

Post by arabian » May 1st, '07, 13:13

I'm not the type of person who try anything easily..
I usually think million time before I eat something new..
But the one thing I want to try it is kimbap ( if the spelling right) it look delicious..

Choknut

Post by Choknut » May 1st, '07, 19:23

kobe23 wrote: Pfft...nothing to be scared of. The octopus legs wiggle around just like worms, which I'm sure everyone has eaten before, so it shouldn't be a problem :P What IS scary however, is eating the WHOLE octopus, it looks like you can get strangled by it and die of suffocation.

Here's a youtube video of these two American guys eathing a whole octopus:

*** WARNING: THIS VIDEO CONTAINS SOME DISTURBING IMAGES ***

Click at your own risk!
hehehehe! I'm really open to other culture, especially in food.. and would try something once... But nothing ALIVE!!! :crazy: just me... I give Props on people who could do it!!!
I saw the clip, hehehe.. crazy.. i saw Old Boy too... I'm scared that it going to try to climb back UP! ***faints

hakkablood

Post by hakkablood » May 3rd, '07, 00:03

I always loved Gimbop . I ate those before i watched k dramas.

Vivagirl

Post by Vivagirl » May 12th, '07, 07:20

oh i loved to try bibimbap.. the mixed rice with kimchi... i have never tried kimichi before but i saw how they do it in snow queen... and the bibimbap.. i saw in kim samsoon, full house and many other series... looks so delicious... and the jjajangmyun... i have seen it in some series like witch yoo hee, goong s etc... now then i know that the black sauce is bean paste so its not suppose to taste spicy which i initally thought would be lol....

i only tried the bulgogi (is that the correct word?).. we were given uncooked meat & hotpot and we cook the beef and also metal hot plates to cook them... plus some mashed garlic and seasonings... it was interesting.. too bad we didn't have the chance to have soju...

tCx

Post by tCx » May 13th, '07, 08:14

angel_rina wrote:
3. Samgupsal (im not sure if the spelling is correct)
It's Samgyupsal (pork belly), and I do crave those for a few weeks.. it's best eaten with soju.. just like they did in the movie... I even tried to find the recipe and cook it at home myself, but it's just not the same.

Oh Mul Tang (fish cake soup), the one that they have on the sticks on the side stall. That's also good.. the broth is good too..

man.. i'm getting hungry now, even though it's past bedtime.. too bad there's not enough ingredients in my fridge to make some bimbimbap

boombarabam

Post by boombarabam » May 17th, '07, 01:15

Surprisingly, the celebs in korea are even eating in the corner of the street... Found this photo...
Attachments
fish cake stick.jpg
fish cake stick.jpg (159.98 KiB) Viewed 10847 times

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » May 17th, '07, 01:33

boombarabam- But that doesn't count. That was a scene in Full House. I'm pretty sure since I remember that dress she's wearing

alexwinter

Post by alexwinter » May 17th, '07, 04:34

^

I think she was having a snack during the shooting.. or just wearing the same dress..no?
I have seen that pic in the korean website, and it was circulating as an paparazzi pic, if it was one of the scenes from the drama, the person who posted must not have posted...also you can see the people in the background...they are all watching and staring like crazy...
I don't think any drama would include a scene with school girls with cameras in hands in the background when the character is acting...and is the ajumma an actress from the drama too?

mittens

Post by mittens » May 17th, '07, 12:44

za jangmyun- I had this crave after watching fantasy couple.. i was expecting it to be very tasty but its just average.. but i like it though..

tang su yuk- it is more like the (philippine) sweet and sour pork.

JJ1106

Post by JJ1106 » May 18th, '07, 16:57

bibimbap & bulgogi...whenever i got the chance to eat out at a korean restaurant,
these 2 items will always be in my must-eat list.
and i've also picked up the habit of eating a mouthful of rice at one go..
w/out leaving any trace of food on the spoon!

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » May 19th, '07, 05:56

My old girl used to love Jap chae and JjaJangmyun.

Hmmmm.... I kind of miss her because she actually loved me and cared for me.... :pale: :cry:

yoonho

Post by yoonho » May 19th, '07, 06:46

Jjajangmyun....
Kimbab...
bibimbab (Full House)
n now i wanna try mandoo after i watched Hello Miss...

draco

Post by draco » May 19th, '07, 07:09

Mandarin House's ( L.A. K-town) Jjajangmyun is the best!!!!!! oh god as a matter of fact.. I'm craving for it right now... lol

cutekid

Post by cutekid » May 19th, '07, 15:16

this is an interesting topic.
well, been watching korean dramas for some time now, not that addicted to their food though. i still like our own cuisine.

the korean food that i've tasted so far is the korean bbq, ramen, kimchi and a host of other things that i can't remember what they are called.

there are lots of korean restaurants in the philippines, so i get to try some of it from time to time. we have one just in front of the hospital were i work. i don't know but i don't have a liking to korean foods but they are tasty and palatable to the mouth

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » May 19th, '07, 18:03

cutekid wrote:

there are lots of korean restaurants in the philippines, so i get to try some of it from time to time. we have one just in front of the hospital were i work. i don't know but i don't have a liking to korean foods but they are tasty and palatable to the mouth

You know what, I kinda agree with you. Even though I have gotten into some Korean foods and drinks over the past year from watching k-dramas, I still find that Chinese/Vietnamese food is WAY better than the korean food that I have tried so far. There's just too much of a heavy reliance on kim-chi (which I don't like) since they eat it with pretty much everything.

But heh, food is only secondary when Korean girls are so much prettier :D

Superkyle

Post by Superkyle » May 19th, '07, 18:26

i havent tried it but i really want to try Jjajangmyun,

it looked so good in Fantasy Couple...

anglvue

Post by anglvue » May 20th, '07, 00:49

chiakisama wrote:That's so funny, I totally agree. I just tried jajangmyun for the first time, but I didn't like it. Is it supposed to be bland? And then this afternoon I ate kimchi octopus, very good. Does anyone know what Kim Sam Soon's mom and sister are eating out of a metal bowl that looks so delicious while she's eating her diet steak, and then she sneaks it at night? Whatever it is, I'm dying to try it....
after rewatching my name is kim sam soon, went to the local Korean restaurant with my bff and had some. i like it with lotsa chili but it was so HOT. i had about four cups of water. delicious!

namilussah

Post by namilussah » Jun 12th, '07, 04:56

Recently i have been trying to find recepies for jajangmyun on the net specially after watching Fantacy Couple and Goong S. i actully found some, but the ingredients are hard to find in my country like the black soy bean paste :scratch: . i wish if there was a korean restaurant in UAE that serves korean dishes with the original tast.

Am also craving to eat korean kimchi dumplings after i watched Hello Miss! they eat alot of delisious looking food in that drama YUM YUM :-)

mandaraya

Post by mandaraya » Jun 12th, '07, 05:19

RAMEN is JAPANESE!! ;p

tCx

Post by tCx » Jun 12th, '07, 19:54

mandaraya wrote:RAMEN is JAPANESE!! ;p
it's actually chinese.. and korean do have their version of ramen (spelled ramyun?) but they are all the same basically.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramen

mandaraya

Post by mandaraya » Jun 12th, '07, 22:02

tCx wrote:
mandaraya wrote:RAMEN is JAPANESE!! ;p
it's actually chinese.. and korean do have their version of ramen (spelled ramyun?) but they are all the same basically.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramen
oh, what i meant was that the word/spelling of RAMEN is japanese and not korean nor chinese at all.

Choknut

Post by Choknut » Jun 12th, '07, 23:27

mandaraya wrote: -------------

oh, what i meant was that the word/spelling of RAMEN is japanese and not korean nor chinese at all.

huh?? pardon me but I don't get you point.. RAMEN being a japanese word?? .. it doesn't apply to the topic or conversation?? am I missing something here??? :scratch:

Anyways, I just have some jajangmyun, but it the instant one... they didn't have it in the korean restaurant .. I have to find anew place... Also, I had some Bean Paste soup.. doen jang chigae .. it's so spicy and good with white rice!!! they eat it a lot in Sweet 18.. You guys should try it!!! :D

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Jun 12th, '07, 23:38

That thing in Full House where Song Hye Gyo's character starts putting rice and a bunch of random stuff together and adding some sauce. Looks really good and I think I've tried it before but not really sure if its the same thing. I agree with kobe23, some Korean food are good but I don't think I can eat Korean food everyday for the rest of my life but I'm going to Korea in like a week so I guess I'll have to get used to it.

mandaraya

Post by mandaraya » Jun 13th, '07, 02:40

Choknut wrote:

huh?? pardon me but I don't get you point.. RAMEN being a japanese word?? .. it doesn't apply to the topic or conversation?? am I missing something here??? :scratch:

Anyways, I just have some jajangmyun, but it the instant one... they didn't have it in the korean restaurant .. I have to find anew place... Also, I had some Bean Paste soup.. doen jang chigae .. it's so spicy and good with white rice!!! they eat it a lot in Sweet 18.. You guys should try it!!! :D
it actually does apply to this topic because you mentioned it yourself. sorry, but i just wanted to point out that in korea it is called ramyun, not ramen.

oh and yeah, korean food is bomb!

gummonster

Post by gummonster » Jun 13th, '07, 03:33

After watching Fanasy Couple and other ones i would really like to eat jjajangmyun. it looks so good. But too bad, i don't know korean food are so yeah. but jjajangmyun looks soooooo gooood, man.

tCx

Post by tCx » Jun 13th, '07, 22:35

OvertheRainbow wrote:That thing in Full House where Song Hye Gyo's character starts putting rice and a bunch of random stuff together and adding some sauce. Looks really good and I think I've tried it before but not really sure if its the same thing.
It's called bimbimbab, mixed rice. Only it's not as pretty as the one they made in the restaurant but it's the same.

brian55112

Post by brian55112 » Jun 13th, '07, 22:49

ive gone to korean restaraunts and had Kimchee stew (attic cat), and Bulgogi (??). I have loved Thai food for 10 years, but honestly, i wasnt impressed all that much with Korean meals. Interesting though.

brian55112

Post by brian55112 » Jun 13th, '07, 22:53

PS, it was Amrayu's blog that turned me on to Bulgogi.
PSS, Ive had 5 bottles of Chamusil Soju ! good stuff!

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jun 13th, '07, 23:25

Along with Thai food, Korean is my favourite (I love, love spicy food!). I especially like Bibimbap, Kimbap, Spicy Rice Cakes, Samgyeopsal, Kimchi Stew and the spiciest Ramyon they have.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jun 13th, '07, 23:52

mandaraya wrote:
Choknut wrote:

it actually does apply to this topic because you mentioned it yourself. sorry, but i just wanted to point out that in korea it is called ramyun, not ramen.

Eh? Ramen, ramyun, and lo mein are all corruptions of the Chinese term which sounds to me like "low mean" and means wheat noodles mixed with stuff and not fried.

Sonaa

Post by Sonaa » Aug 13th, '07, 09:58

*sigh* I love Banana milk! <3 You can't find it anywhere. I drank it all the time in korea~ :wub:
Oh and melon ice cream too <3

I did see banana milk in Coffee prince, which made me want it with renewed vigor. And the banana ice cream too! I had that 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately the same store didn't sell banana milk. I was so sad.

Sonaa

Post by Sonaa » Aug 13th, '07, 10:02

pokute wrote:
mandaraya wrote:
Choknut wrote:

Anyways, I just have some jajangmyun, but it the instant one... they didn't have it in the korean restaurant .. I have to find anew place... Also, I had some Bean Paste soup.. doen jang chigae .. it's so spicy and good with white rice!!! they eat it a lot in Sweet 18.. You guys should try it!!! :D [/color]

Eh? Ramen, ramyun, and lo mein are all corruptions of the Chinese term which sounds to me like "low mean" and means wheat noodles mixed with stuff and not fried.
Does it matter how we spell it? If we enjoy the food. We enjoy it! Foods will often morph. It's lucky there are more korean stores in the states. When my mom first came here she had to use western ingredients to make Korean food <3 She became VERY resourceful!

Anyways.. if you want Jajamyung, it'll be hard to find in most korean restaurants. Like someone said earlier, try chinese/korean restuarant. If you try just chinese or just korean restuarant, you might get a weirded out look.. OR you can try instant. It is still very good. I suggest getting the package with the premade sauce. It's in a little plastic packet. Just cook the noodles and squeeze the sauce on. I pay around .79 cents or something per packet. When I went to LA I got a mega pack. Easy to make and filling<3 Wash your dish right away though. It gets stuck quite fast when dry.

This one:

Which package to buy here CLICK

Sonaa

Post by Sonaa » Aug 13th, '07, 10:08

Also try this snack<3 It's a rice cracker? But light and puffy! I get this one ALL the time. It was probably in a K-drama somewhere<3

YUMS

majing_28

Post by majing_28 » Aug 13th, '07, 11:43

after watching full house i keep on eating bibimbap here in japan, everytime we go to the food court thats the only one i order.. oh and the ice cream that she gave to lee young jae in the swing (actually lee young jae took it from her) hihihi not sure if its ice cream or an ice candy in a plastick container in a shape of a coke... they have it here in japan so happy.. :cheers: oh and ramen yeh but i was eating it even before... japanese ramens are really good :roll by the way nice topic :-)

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Aug 13th, '07, 11:49

Haha, Sonaa, I love banana milk, too! :O I drink it almost every day here in Korea. I also like Shikkhye, a sweet traditional drink made of rice and aloe. Korea definitely has nice beverages to go with the good food!

I had jjajangmyun the other day for the first time and wasn't too impressed honestly. Like someone already pointed out, the Korean version is rather plain and tasteless. Looks better than it tastes.

Sonaa

Post by Sonaa » Aug 13th, '07, 18:57

Néa Vanille wrote:Haha, Sonaa, I love banana milk, too! :O I drink it almost every day here in Korea. I also like Shikkhye, a sweet traditional drink made of rice and aloe. Korea definitely has nice beverages to go with the good food!

I had jjajangmyun the other day for the first time and wasn't too impressed honestly. Like someone already pointed out, the Korean version is rather plain and tasteless. Looks better than it tastes.
*cling* banana milk!!! :cheers:

blueseeker

Post by blueseeker » Aug 13th, '07, 19:01

Boy am i glad am not the only one.....i have tried everything that has been mentioned here so far. In fact i went as far as torturing my boyfriend and family by going to every korean or japanese restaurant i heard of, not to mention my trips to these countries.....is this a sickness?

pasv

Post by pasv » Aug 14th, '07, 22:48

LOL it's nice to see that everyone has the munchies after kdramas too... jeez especially coffee prnice. I'm brewing a pot right now!

I lack kimchi right now though -.-

mabeth830

Post by mabeth830 » Aug 26th, '07, 05:49

speaking of JAMJANGYUM, i had it yesterday coz i'm really curious how it taste, I ordered it with mandoo (pot sticker), the taste was fine but its too heavy thats why i don't know how EC (from Coffee Prince) manage to ate about 4 bowl :salut: . Becoz of this KDRAMA, korean food became my favorite, my fridge now is full of different kimchi esp the cabbage kimchi coz i found out that the korean instant noodle will taste better if you put cabbage kimchi, green onion & egg. I love korean bbq too but for me the best korean cuisine is their Soft Tofu Soup w/ diff kimchi on the side, oh its so yummy if you put the steamed rice in the hot pot soup and then put some anchovies. :lol

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Aug 26th, '07, 06:35

Yesterday I discovered another Korean dish that promptly made my favourite's list! (okay, this is sort of off-topic as I discovered it since I live in Korea, not because of any Korean drama, but bear with me, please. Let me make a food recommendation! XD).

I tried something called pattpingsu (or however you want to romanize it), which is frozen ice with red beans and rice cakes. You spill milk over it to dissolve the ice and eat it like you would ice cream! It's tastes VERY Korean (the red beans do it) but it's the only solution I've found to the swelteringly hot Korean summer and it's delicious to boot! And it's not as fattening as most other ice cream as it's basically fat-free milk, ice, red beans and rice cakes, none of which is particularily high in calories to my knowledge.

Pattpingsu! :wub:

Ssang

Post by Ssang » Aug 26th, '07, 06:43

I haven't tried everything but my favorite ddeok is sool ddeok and yok pop.

Yok pop is that brown-colored rice ddeok with chestnuts and raisins, made with brown sugar, etc..

Sool ddeok is basically a rice cake. As I understand, it's made or somehow baked with sool (alcohol). The reason why I like it so much is that it's soooo soft. The texture is like a baby's butt and has a very nice fragrance. :lol

I'm glad people here eat kimchi. I love kimchi. I never liked it as a kid. But nowadays I wouldn't eat my ramen without it. And of course it goes great with bulgogi and lettuce. Or in kimpop. Or in mandoo (dumplings). Or nengmyun. Or just about anything.

bluebyul34

Post by bluebyul34 » Nov 8th, '07, 12:08

Yesterday I discovered another Korean dish that promptly made my favourite's list! (okay, this is sort of off-topic as I discovered it since I live in Korea, not because of any Korean drama, but bear with me, please. Let me make a food recommendation! ).

I tried something called pattpingsu (or however you want to romanize it), which is frozen ice with red beans and rice cakes. You spill milk over it to dissolve the ice and eat it like you would ice cream! It's tastes VERY Korean (the red beans do it) but it's the only solution I've found to the swelteringly hot Korean summer and it's delicious to boot! And it's not as fattening as most other ice cream as it's basically fat-free milk, ice, red beans and rice cakes, none of which is particularily high in calories to my knowledge.

Pattpingsu!
OMG I've been craving pattbingsoo nonstop for the past week!!!! and its WINTER and i go to school in SD right now so its much harder (and expensive >:T) to find (as opposed to LA) ~~ yumm.. it's so good when there's fruit and fruity pebbles and almonds and misu-kaloo on it ... on top of the red bean and rice cakes *DROOL**** sighhh..

i haven't been to korea since grade school.. is the pattbingsoo there really that plain? curious because all the places around where i live put in tons of stuff (like fruit, sometimes ice cream, cereal, etc. )

i was up because i was hungry (its 4am and i just ate a goroggae and shikae =T) and i noticed this thread on FOOD =) bibimbab sounds so good right now...

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Nov 8th, '07, 23:27

You can get all kinds of pattpingsu variations, but you need to go to a coffee shop for that. I usually get the (plain) Lotte one from the supermarket. It is healthier and cheaper. :-)

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Nov 27th, '07, 13:43

Does anyone here know what kinda rice they use at Korean restaurants and how they cook it? Chinese restaurants usually use long-grain rice and tend to cook it very dry, which I don't really enjoy. Korean rice just suits me perfectly. It's almost as if it was custom made to my tastes. Either that or I was a Korean in my previous life. Probably the latter :)

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Nov 27th, '07, 16:14

Kobe23 wrote:
Does anyone here know what kinda rice they use at Korean restaurants and how they cook it? Chinese restaurants usually use long-grain rice and tend to cook it very dry, which I don't really enjoy. Korean rice just suits me perfectly. It's almost as if it was custom made to my tastes. Either that or I was a Korean in my previous life. Probably the latter
Koreans use similar rice as Japanese, probably the species may vary a bit. The rice is called "short grains rice."

Not sure if you can buy from here: http://www.koamart.com/shop/15-2058-ric ... _5_lbs.asp

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Dec 3rd, '07, 14:57

I've just completed episode 1 of Coffee Prince and I must say, I probably will never eat Jjajangmyun again. Ever.

LatentSweets

Post by LatentSweets » Dec 12th, '07, 20:44

I definitely started eating choco-pie after seeing Thank You

x-dolly-x

Post by x-dolly-x » Jan 25th, '08, 07:39

omg i had kim bap when i went on holiday...

it was gorge!!!

ctfazra

Post by ctfazra » Jan 26th, '08, 16:16

i've only tried kimchi..but not the fried rice one..i crave for it especially after Coffee prince..wanna eat a mouth full straight from the pot..haha..
really wanna try some ramen too..walking at night and have ramen at a stall by d road side (just like PSH n lee wan in Tree of Heaven..so romantic!) =)
by d way i can't drink soju.. i'm not interested either ;p

ctfazra

Post by ctfazra » Jan 26th, '08, 16:29

if anyone here from malaysia, could u suggest places that serve korean food here? plzzzz..it's so difficult to find. tq so much! =)

leenzy

Post by leenzy » Feb 3rd, '08, 04:13

i love to watch KDRama n mostly the food they eat..huh..it look delicious..but i dont know where can i get all the things in Malaysia esp in home town...if i have chance to do that, i want to try Jjajangmyun and kimchi... :)

sponge_girl

Post by sponge_girl » Feb 18th, '08, 16:42

here's my list:

kimchi - from k-restaurant and by me
kimchi stew - from k-restaurant and by myself
Bulggogi - from k-restaurant
Jjajangmyun - at home

my husband doesn't like korean food so i have to resort to making it myself. the best place is on youtube with Maangchi. i've tried making her kimchi and jjajangmyun. OMG, it turned out good and yummy. i just need to get myself to the k-store and buy some more ingredients to make her other stuff.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Feb 19th, '08, 10:57

I still can't get myself to like kimchi no matter how hard I try. Is it an acquired taste? Like, do you need to eat it for 2 years before you can appreciate it? Anyone like it instantly? Love at first bite....