KOREAN BBQ HOUSE -How to ask them to stop cooking nicely

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
delsxyz

KOREAN BBQ HOUSE -How to ask them to stop cooking nicely

Post by delsxyz » Jan 30th, '07, 18:06

I love Korean BBQ. But I can't use Korean BBQ place for business talk or
intimate conversation. Unlike BBQ restaurants in Japan, (where customers do cook meat. ) for example, they do not let us cook our meat the way we want. ( When to eat,
how meat should be cooked (rare, mid rare, etc.)

" Can we cook by ourself?" " Then, they giggle and keep on cooking as if ..."
Dining does require talking, too. If a waitress(?) is close by, we cannot talk so openly, can we? So I want to know how Koreans living in USA deal with this problem. Any secret button to push? No matter where I dine, ( LA, NY, Chicago, SFO, Orlando, Miami,
South Carolina, etc.), Korean BBQ places do offer " I will cook, you just eat, thank you." services only. This is not the same as we eat sushi at sushi counter. Sushi chef usually caters many customers at the same time. Unless they get orders, they don't bother.

I always warn Japanese friends who just came to USA that we cannot cook
meat by ourselves.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 30th, '07, 18:28

That is just ridiculous. They WILL let you cook if you want to, and just what do you talk about that the waitress would be so interested in? Are you discussing some criminal activity? Of course, I can see that if you were undercooking the meat and giving everyone in your party salmonella poisoning, the waitress would probably grab the utensils away from you and ignore any and all entreaties from you in the interest of saving your life.

elden41

Post by elden41 » Jan 30th, '07, 18:31

I don't know how to help with what to say because my conversation skills in Korean are extremely limited. However, I don't know what places you've been to, but I've been to dozens upon dozens of different places throughout CA, and I'm always able to cook the meat the way I want. I agree that the server sometimes cuts the meat or sometimes puts the raw meat onto the grill without asking you.

delsxyz

I just asked some japanese friends

Post by delsxyz » Jan 30th, '07, 19:17

I asked some japanese friends about this... and some gave me several urls (of the japanese sites) Out of which, I found this very similar to what I have tried to explain.

Here it goes
「一人前」 の肉がテーブルに運ばれてきたと思ったその瞬間、ウェイトレスやウエイターがそれらを一気にグリルに乗せてしまう。肉厚があるカルビやミノはともかく、焼きすぎたらうまくないタンなどの場合は本当に困ってしまう。薄切りのタンは 1分もすれば火が完全に通ってしまうが、1分以内にすべてを食べることなどほとんど不可能だ。カルビやミノだって焼きすぎはうまくない。
 とにかく黙っていると、よほどサービスが悪い店でない限り、そのようにされてしまう。これが韓国流のサービスらしいが、おいしく食べたい者は、あえてそのサービスを丁重に断り、自分で一枚一枚焼いて食べた方がいいだろう。何やら韓国人にいわせると、一枚一枚焼いて食べるその日本人の姿はみみっちく見えるらしい。
(http://www.lvtaizen.com/rest/html/yakiniku.htm)

It sounds like the difference of "Service Definition". But this writing was done by
Japanese, so I really want to hear from Koreans living in USA. If I order meat for 4
for (actually 2 people), as I am not Kobayasha Takeru, I want to take time to
enjoy all meat. But if the service definition is differnt in Korean mind, if I refuse a lot,
it might hurt waitress's feelings. This Japanese says "あえてそのサービスを丁重に断り" ...how did he decline the service without hurting korean feelings.

--found this at http://www.brooks-bilson.com/blogs/food ... 6C9D42BD64
Korean BBQ at Arizona
"Our waitress placed all of the meat on the grill at once. The result was that all of the meat was done at the same time. I would have preferred to grill the meat in smaller batches so that we didn't end up with a big pile of meat that was mostly cold by the time we got to it. Grilling preference aside, the meat was nicely marinated and very tender and juicy when grilled. "
So if we went into this situation, do we have time to talk nicely with friends or
discuss some business matters ? If we do, we end up with " very well done burned
meat".

babyviolet

Post by babyviolet » Jan 30th, '07, 19:54

So you're saying that you've been all over korean BBQ and always get " I will cook, you just eat, thank you." services? THat's weird coz whenever I go to korean BBQ, I always get "cook yourself we're too busy, thank you" service. Why don't you go to a buffet korean BBQ so you can pick the meat and cook it however you want. If you live around LA or OC area I can recommend you some places to go.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 30th, '07, 19:54

I think you need to take some assertiveness training classes or something. Showing the waitress the results of google searches on your blackberry is probably not going to impress her.

delsxyz

????

Post by delsxyz » Jan 30th, '07, 20:11

pokute wrote:I think you need to take some assertiveness training classes or something. Showing the waitress the results of google searches on your blackberry is probably not going to impress her.
???? I don't really understand your attitude. I am asking the best way to
decline Korean way of service in a good manner. Yes, I can cook meat by myself
but I don't want to hurt Korean feelings.

What I am saying is that google search shows the similar problems. (i.e I am not alone
in this experience. Take Fort Lee in NJ, I went more than 10 different fancy Korean
BBQ places. And at every restaurant, I had to tell waitress so many times to interrupt what they do. (i.e. Let us grill our meat, OK?) I want to learn proper way to decline
this korean service in Korean langauge.

PS
At Manhattan, there was a good Korean BBQ place called WooLae Oak. There, we could grill meat by ourself. Yeah, I had many business lunch and dinners, too. Too bad, this restaurant went under.

delsxyz

Thanks

Post by delsxyz » Jan 30th, '07, 20:16

babyviolet wrote:So you're saying that you've been all over korean BBQ and always get " I will cook, you just eat, thank you." services? THat's weird coz whenever I go to korean BBQ, I always get "cook yourself we're too busy, thank you" service. Why don't you go to a buffet korean BBQ so you can pick the meat and cook it however you want. If you live around LA or OC area I can recommend you some places to go.
Thank you for response. But I can't take business friends to such places.
( I end up with French, Chinese and Japanese food nowadays for business
lunch or dinner. And I really wanted Korean BBQ for a change. Japanese steak house
is different. Chef entertains.)

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 30th, '07, 20:25

Everything you are saying is just ludicrous. You must be pissing the waitress off somehow to get such consistently bad treatment. I've gone to places where I was the only white guy out of a hundred diners and never had any trouble getting them to let me cook, or any kind of "attitude" at all. I take my family out for Korean BBQ at least once a week, and we always have a great time. It's gotta be something YOU are doing.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jan 30th, '07, 20:38

Pokute is just being funny and sarcastic, dont get defensive.

But seriously, i think its just you. I asked some people after reading this because this is 100% NOT what happens when me and my wife goes, and no one knows at all what you are talking about. YOu might be overly sensitive to this.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 30th, '07, 20:42

What do you mean "just"? This takes effort. Maybe even talent.

mimmi

Post by mimmi » Jan 30th, '07, 20:54

pokute wrote:What do you mean "just"? This takes effort. Maybe even talent.
I think it takes talent, because for one thing, I could use it at work sometimes, but I always end up sounded nicely....but there are times I really wanted to be sarcastic but just can't find the right way to say it....hmm, maybe that's what I should wish for :lol

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 30th, '07, 21:00

mimmi wrote:
pokute wrote:What do you mean "just"? This takes effort. Maybe even talent.
I think it takes talent, because for one thing, I could use it at work sometimes, but I always end up sounded nicely....but there are times I really wanted to be sarcastic but just can't find the right way to say it....hmm, maybe that's what I should wish for :lol
Just ask yourself at those times: "What would pokute say?". WWPS?

But don't try it on the waitress at the Korean BBQ.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 30th, '07, 21:45

babyviolet wrote:So you're saying that you've been all over korean BBQ and always get " I will cook, you just eat, thank you." services? THat's weird coz whenever I go to korean BBQ, I always get "cook yourself we're too busy, thank you" service. Why don't you go to a buffet korean BBQ so you can pick the meat and cook it however you want. If you live around LA or OC area I can recommend you some places to go.
I agree. Usually, they just dump the ingredients on the table and let you cook yourself. They sometime might stop by if you're going too slowly and they need the plates back/ you to eat faster

If in NY, try the places in Flushing. You'll pretty much have to beg for attention :lol

babyviolet

Sometimes, I keep pushing the bell but still nobody come. Co

Post by babyviolet » Jan 30th, '07, 21:59

auroragb wrote:
I agree. Usually, they just dump the ingredients on the table and let you cook yourself. They sometime might stop by if you're going too slowly and they need the plates back/ you to eat faster

If in NY, try the places in Flushing. You'll pretty much have to beg for attention :lol
Sometimes, I keep pushing the bell but still nobody come. Coz mostly in korean BBQ, they don't have many waitress.

delsxyz

I don't know how to put it...

Post by delsxyz » Jan 31st, '07, 01:26

I am talking about fancy zagat rated type of restaurant (at least 2 stars). Not the one in small shopping plaza (next to nail places, liquor store, etc.) Flushing Queens will never be a choice of business lunch or dinner. ( I am talking about uptown to Midtown type restaurant.) There are small bbq places in westchester, they just dump food and never
bother again. But I can't use such a restaurant for business lunch. OK? Iron Chef Morimoto's restaurant in PA or NY is absolutely minimum for business entertainment.

I really want to hear from Korean people. Business with Japanese usually require
nice lunch or dinner. If educated korean mind for waitress at bbq place is to grill
meat ,then, without hurting waitress' feeling, how should I respond? This is the
question.

Unless you are Korean, or you have done real business lunch, please do not
respond, will you?

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jan 31st, '07, 02:34

I'm not korean, my boss was. i worked in a trading company a few years ago (not enough time for thigns to change). we went to client lunches and we NEVER had any problem. your "problem" is totally foreign to me.

why not just say "we can do this ourselves" and shoo the waitress away.

seriously, you are getting all defensive cause you are not getting answers. think why this might be.

delsxyz

Post by delsxyz » Jan 31st, '07, 02:57

nikochanr3 wrote:I'm not korean, my boss was. i worked in a trading company a few years ago (not enough time for thigns to change). we went to client lunches and we NEVER had any problem. your "problem" is totally foreign to me.

why not just say "we can do this ourselves" and shoo the waitress away.
seriously, you are getting all defensive cause you are not getting answers. think why this might be.
Thanks for responding. I am not offensive nor defensive. All I want is some kind of
magic phrase. May I grill by ourselves? , We can do this ourselves. Just give her
$20 bill with thanks and tell her that we must talk privately.... I've done a lot. But it looks
like they puzzle when we decline or insist. Important thing in business lunch is to make sure the clinet feels good.

If there is no vital answer, then no choice but take clients to better reliable places where service (in this case, the store makes sure that the clients do enjoy and come back) counts. Maybe I end up with French and Japaense all the time.

ps
At the back of Presidential palace in Seoul Korea, there was an eel restaurant. There, they cut and serve (grill) fresh water eel at your table. Yes, I enjoyed a lot. Because there is no way that I can cut and grill eel by myself. There is no such unagi eel restaurant in Japan. I can pick which eel to cook and observe the chef to cut it.
(By the way presidential guards were at the parking lot. When I was taking some
pictures , they came to claim the film. ) When in Rome, do as... I follow Korean Customs
when I was in Seoul. Come to think of it, I had not done any business lunch nor dinner
at BBQ place in Seoul. The closest was this eel place.

Toritorisan

Post by Toritorisan » Jan 31st, '07, 03:05

I'm not too sure what type of people you are doing business lunches with (i.e. Japanese, Korean, etc.), but I used to do business lunches with Japanese clients. For me, I never took them to a place where they had to cook their own food because most clients want to relax or focus on talking business rather than concentrating on cooking food. We also took them to eat Western food since they could eat Asian food all the time in Japan.

However, I have been to an upscale Korean BBQ restaurant (not with clients though), that cooked my meat for me. But I think they cooked it for me because I was paying like three times as much that I would have paid at a lower scale restaurant as it was part of their service. Since you are going to more upscale places, I think they consider it part of the service. I just let them cook it for me, but if I wanted to do it myself, I would have just asked. I don't think it would have offended anyone at all. If it REALLY worries you, I recommend calling the restaurant in advance and just find out their protocol in regards to how meals are served.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jan 31st, '07, 03:45

I am, for the first time in a D-Addicts thread, rendered speechless. There are apparently depths of inanity miles and miles beyond anything I ever imagined... That anyone could proceed so nakedly through life and survive is proof of... Proof of... Well, something.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Jan 31st, '07, 06:28

Toritorisan wrote:However, I have been to an upscale Korean BBQ restaurant (not with clients though), that cooked my meat for me. But I think they cooked it for me because I was paying like three times as much that I would have paid at a lower scale restaurant as it was part of their service. Since you are going to more upscale places, I think they consider it part of the service. I just let them cook it for me, but if I wanted to do it myself, I would have just asked. I don't think it would have offended anyone at all. If it REALLY worries you, I recommend calling the restaurant in advance and just find out their protocol in regards to how meals are served.
Indeed, if delsxyz is really worried, he can ask in advance when you make reservation to note to allow to cook your own food. I'm sure they will be more than happy to accomodate

Frankly, I just have them cook it in the back and serve it when it's cooked. This way, I don't have smoke in my face, which is distracting to conversation. The only time when cooking your own food is worthwhile is when you don't trust the kitchen or you want something to do to DISTRACT from conversation. But if you are going to somewhere renown for its food, it should not be a problem.

@delsxyz:
As for your comment about Zagat. If you really read it, you should know some of the best Korean restaurants ARE in Flushing. :roll

Athaclena42
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Athaclena42 » Jan 31st, '07, 06:36

pokute wrote:I am, for the first time in a D-Addicts thread, rendered speechless. There are apparently depths of inanity miles and miles beyond anything I ever imagined... That anyone could proceed so nakedly through life and survive is proof of... Proof of... Well, something.
lol....you said it.

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Jan 31st, '07, 06:58

Though delsxyz's problem may sound stupid to others but I don't see anything wrong for him to ask for help.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Jan 31st, '07, 19:07

there's nothing wrong with asking, but if you dimiss EVERY answer what becomes the point of asking for help?

the solution here is simple, find someone korean to help you call the restaurant, tell them prior EXACTLY what you want even if its particular, and go from there, and you'll be a-ok. there is no korean bbq conspiracy - if from asking and getting prior commitment to what you want cant help you, then try therarpy, cause nothing will.

thats what i would do if i wanted something to be perfect, confirm before time. if a question is too silly to ask prior to confirm, then its not a problem anyway, no?

Ssang

Post by Ssang » Feb 1st, '07, 07:51

A simple "I'll cook the food myself, thanks" should work. If that doesn't, I suggest you ask again.

There's no cultural or ethnic barrier in using communication, you know. If a person doesn't understand, there's no special "for Korean" way to handle that problem other than to restate request and try again.. I've been to many restaurants in NJ and NY, and most places the beef is cooked by the customers and are given help if needed.

lovedorama
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by lovedorama » Feb 1st, '07, 08:05

There's no need to come down on delsxyz for asking this question. I did kind of thought odd at first, but it's perfectly okay... Read all of his postings... He/she simply wants to know the right way to do things, considering the difference in culture.

delsxyz, to put it simply, the upscale Korean barbeque houses think preparing/cooking the meat for you is part of the service. The waitresses come by from time to time to make sure you're alright. But if you want to flip the meat yourself, there's nothing wrong with that. I think they would probably be grateful because some places are really busy. Also, don't feel out of the norm. Some do ask to be "left alone", so you're not the only one there. It's all about the preference and of course, being business in nature, I can see how you might want to be left alone. There's always a flip side to things, people.

English will work, but if you want to say it in Korean, there are 2 choices:

1) "Jae Ga Hal Kkeh Yo. Gam Sa Ham Ni Da" - I'll do it myself. Thank you.

But if you're uncomfortable telling them you'll do it yourself, then ASK...

2) "Jae Ga Hae Do Dwel Kkah Yo? Gam Sa Ham Ni Da" - May I do it myself? Thank you.

Both phrases above are formal, so either of them will work :)

Then the waitress won't linger at your table. The waitress will understand. She'll just glance your way from time to time to see if you need "refills" on your side dishes from then on. Hope this is what you are looking for. I personally appreciate your thoughtfulness in wanting to know the "right" way.

delsxyz

Thank you, lovedrama

Post by delsxyz » Feb 1st, '07, 19:36

Thank you lovedrama. I will use Korean phrase from now on.
PS
Once the Japanese big shot wanted to go to Orlando (Universal and Disney place) before he must fly back to Japan. So we flew from JFK to Orlando and rented a car and had a good time, including Golf, etc. This big shot found a Koran BBQ place and he wanted to treat me to Kalbi, Bulgoki, tongue, etc. (Note: This is not a fancy, upscale Korean Restaurant. It was next to Hanamizuki Japanese Restaurant.
I was gonna take him to either Rangetsu or Hanamizuki ( Japanese) , but he found Korean Yakiniku BBQ signboard . Another fact: He speaks good English. He does not
speak Korean. ( Neither do I.)

Then, came the problem. Like a typical Japanese gentleman, who likes to make sure how the meat should be grilled ( like only 2 pieces on charcoal Burner at one time), had enormous amount of difficulty in dealing with this waitress. In the end, food was delicious, but he was offended very much.
(Note: Total number of customers at that time in the restaurant.
2 tables only ( 1st table: 2 (just us) 2nd table ( 8 Japanese ) Total # of waitress" 2
This group of eight ( Also complained about grilling meat by waitress. )

In this instance, there was no way for me to make reservation in advance. We just found the restaurant nearby the hotel ( along side of International Drive) Everything was OK, (Universal Studio, 18 holes of Golf, etc) up until Korean BBQ. This restaurant experience virtually ruined his day. ( Guess how much effort was needed to
recover this problem. I had only 1/2 day to make it happen for this xx million dollar
contract)

Another thought:
It looks like my problem is very popular among Japanese. A friend of mine who had
given me several url pages gave me more. He used " xx の焼肉店" in goo or google.
But again, manjority of people will call these as "stupid" or something but the fact
remains.
(1) Woman(NY)
それにしても、韓国焼肉店の店員さん、
情け容赦なく、一度に、大量のお肉を、鉄板の上に置くのは、
なんとかならないものかなぁ。
ゆっくり、自分達のペースで食べたいんですけど。。。
(2) Man (NJ)
そんなこんなで、夜はコリアンBBQを食べた。一人前の量が半端じゃなかったよ。
味は美味。おかげで満腹太郎になった。
でも肉はこっちで焼かせてくれー。(おまえ(ウエイター)が焼くな~!)
(3) woman (Hawaii)
そして、さっきのと全く同じポークのお皿と一緒に、慌てて戻って来て、無言で既に細切れになっている
豚肉を、ハサミで チョキチョキチョキチョキッ! 
「つーか、もう切れてるってば、そのポーク...」  凄いシラの切り方だっっ!!
しばらく呆気に取られながらもポークを見守っていた
我々ですが、皆だんだんとお腹が膨れて来ているし、
マイペースで焼きたいだもんで、「あ~、もういいです
よ~。 後は、自分達で焼きますから~。」

と言った瞬間...

そのウェイトレスさんは、いったい何を思ったのか、
ドバ~ッ!
っと、ポークを一 気に全部 流し込んじゃった...    んぎょっっ!!  

カルビと牛タンは、一枚ずつ綺麗に少し離して載せてくれたのに... ヤケクソになっちゃってるよ、彼女。
しかも、まだ焼けてないカルビが載っかっているという
のに... 豚の菌が付いたら、いやや~!
ていうか... どうやって、広げればイイんですかい、
このポーク?
そして、一部始終の写真を撮っている私に腹が立った
のか、「Are you Japanese?」 と聞いて来たので、
返事をしたら、「フンッ!」 って、鼻で一言... 

事前に写真を撮っても良いかと承諾を得ているし、ブース席だし、誰にも迷惑は掛けてはいない筈ですが、きっと日本人とか、観光客が嫌いな方なのでしょう。 気持ちは、判らないでもありませんが、何も
そこまで悪態をつかなくっとも...

(This #3 seems to be very close to what had happened in Orlando to my business
client.)

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Feb 1st, '07, 21:24

:lol i find it funny that you could not control a waitress in a restaurant to a degree that you say. im at a loss as if you are just a pushover, just real sensitive and exageratting, or had the experience from hell. i also find it funny you are looking on message boards to back up your silliness. message boards are message boards, i can post NIKO IS KING OF THE WORLD and use it as proof of my greatness.

i feel good you got your answer though. Ganbare!! in your future multi million dollar dealings. :lol :lol :lol just make sure you dont go to korean bbq.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 1st, '07, 21:32

NIKO IS KING OF THE WORLD!

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Feb 1st, '07, 21:40

With this thread, at least the YA Entertainment execs will now know how to make the waitresses stop cooking their meat

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 1st, '07, 22:02

True. This thread was a valuable public service for the elite executive class.

delsxyz

Good luck

Post by delsxyz » Feb 1st, '07, 22:14

Good luck! to
Anyone who cannot believe what I had mentioned:
Anyone who thinks that I am making up stories or url or copy and paste of
each individual's writing to be false:
Anyone who does not have to deal with typical Japanese:
(And if you become intimate and play Golf, most likely, dinner will be Korean BBQ)

If an occasion presents itself in future, just remember this thread.
(Memorise Korean phrases)

If you go to Japan, do visit Japanese BBQ house (which is more upscale than
that of Koreans) or Korean BBQ places. You must grill meat by yourself.
(If you go to Japan and if you visit Sukiyaki or Shabushabu House, they might
do some work ( initial cooking) but you must cook the rest.

Watch typical Japanese drama, you will see Yakiniku BBQ scenes. Watch who grills. Someone posted SMAPxSanma's Christmas Special. There, Kusangai was complaining about a girl who grills meat and offer it to him. Kusanagi says I have my pace and the preference of meat. So I hate a woman who offers meat to him at Yakiniku Restaurant.

----Addition to these
Toritorisan wrote:
I'm not too sure what type of people you are doing business lunches with (i.e. Japanese, Korean, etc.), but I used to do business lunches with Japanese clients. For me, I never took them to a place where they had to cook their own food because most clients want to relax or focus on talking business rather than concentrating on cooking food. We also took them to eat Western food since they could eat Asian food all the time in Japan.

---Nabe (Pot), Shabu Shabu, Sukiyaki ... If you go to an authentic Japanese
Restaurants, you cook by yourself. (See above) When it comes to Yakiniku
or Korean BBQ, many Japanese prefer to grill meat by themselves. There was once
a restaurant in Midtown Manhattan, called "Kicchou". (Kiccho owner retired and
closed the restaurant.) In Osaka, if you want to dine in Kicchou, you need to tag along
Kicchou's long time client. Otherwise, you cannot dine there. 20 years ago, dining at
Kicchou, Japan cost minimum $1000 for two oeople. ( I was lucky enough to dine
there.) There is no classy restaurant in New York now. So nabe, shabu shabu, sukiyaki
will be served as " finished dish. If you go to Japan, these will come in raw. You must
cook them by yourself. And you enjoy every minute of it.

auroragb wrote:
Frankly, I just have them cook it in the back and serve it when it's cooked. This way, I don't have smoke in my face, which is distracting to conversation. The only time when cooking your own food is worthwhile is when you don't trust the kitchen or you want something to do to DISTRACT from conversation.

---Unlike ordering steaks, (except at Japanese steak houses), Japanese like to
bbq meat by themselves. Yes, smokes, smell of garlic, etc., shall be problematic.
But definitely they prefer cooking by themselves. Partly because that's how they
eat at Korean BBQ restaurants (owned by Koreans or Japanese or any one)
in Japan. If you are accustomed to it, and BBQ is one of top 5 favorites ( like sushi,
tempura, shabu shabu, etc.), they will get very upset when waitress dumped all
meat all of a sudden to a hotplate .

Note: I really really want to hear from Koreans ( living in USA or Japan) and Japanese (living in USA or Japan) You might want to correct my observations , which in turn
helps me in future.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Feb 2nd, '07, 14:50

this gets funnier and funnier. i had an ex gf like this. "WAIT, IS THAT WAITRESS LOOKING AT US? WHY? DOES SHE NOT LIKE US??"

seriously dude, this whole thread should have been

Q:CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO TELL THE WAITRESS TO LET US COOK OUR OWN MEAT IN KOREAN?
A:

Done.

:lol but your way was much more entertaining. I also like how you wrote IF YOU DEAL WITH TYPICAL JAPANESE PEOPLE like none of us ever have. :lol

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 2nd, '07, 16:54

For the last few days I have been keeping a group of *TYPICAL JAPANESE PEOPLE* in stitches by emailing them the URL of this thread.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Feb 2nd, '07, 18:20

nikochanr3 wrote:Q:CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO TELL THE WAITRESS TO LET US COOK OUR OWN MEAT IN KOREAN?

:lol but your way was much more entertaining. I also like how you wrote IF YOU DEAL WITH TYPICAL JAPANESE PEOPLE like none of us ever have. :lol
Good point, the literal answer to the topic question
How to ask them to stop cooking nicely
would have been to translate:
"Please cook poorly for us."

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 2nd, '07, 18:23

Or "cook nasty for me"... Which would probably get you incinerated.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Feb 2nd, '07, 18:33

pokute wrote:For the last few days I have been keeping a group of *TYPICAL JAPANESE PEOPLE* in stitches by emailing them the URL of this thread.
YOU KNOW SOME? :w00t:

ive been keeping busy posting IM KING OF THE WORLD now that i have message board proof. Good fun. :lol

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 2nd, '07, 18:44

My experience as an elite professional gaijin has taught me, beyond any shadow or shred of doubt, that oxymorons are safe when used as directed.

aa

Post by aa » Feb 4th, '07, 02:27

if you say "i want to cook the meat. it's okay you don't have to cook for me" they'll let you. heck it's saves the waitresses/waiters the time of having to do extra things. they won't feel offended by it.

Toritorisan

Re: Good luck

Post by Toritorisan » Feb 4th, '07, 02:49

delsxyz wrote: ----Addition to these
Toritorisan wrote:
I'm not too sure what type of people you are doing business lunches with (i.e. Japanese, Korean, etc.), but I used to do business lunches with Japanese clients. For me, I never took them to a place where they had to cook their own food because most clients want to relax or focus on talking business rather than concentrating on cooking food. We also took them to eat Western food since they could eat Asian food all the time in Japan. [/b]
---Nabe (Pot), Shabu Shabu, Sukiyaki ... If you go to an authentic Japanese
Restaurants, you cook by yourself. (See above) When it comes to Yakiniku
or Korean BBQ, many Japanese prefer to grill meat by themselves. There was once
a restaurant in Midtown Manhattan, called "Kicchou". (Kiccho owner retired and
closed the restaurant.) In Osaka, if you want to dine in Kicchou, you need to tag along
Kicchou's long time client. Otherwise, you cannot dine there. 20 years ago, dining at
Kicchou, Japan cost minimum $1000 for two oeople. ( I was lucky enough to dine
there.) There is no classy restaurant in New York now. So nabe, shabu shabu, sukiyaki
will be served as " finished dish. If you go to Japan, these will come in raw. You must
cook them by yourself. And you enjoy every minute of it.
I used to live and work in Japan and I only went to "cook your own food" genre restaurants with friends and family. For me, it's kind of strange taking business clients to those kinds of restaurants (even high class ones), but everyone's idea of a good meal is different.

Personally, if I am going to buy an expensive meal, I prefer Japanese Kaiseki and the service that comes with it (if I'm going to spend that much, I'd rather relax and just be served. :-) ).

delsxyz

KAGURAZAKA....Mmmm Great place. Pontocho, Kyoto....

Post by delsxyz » Feb 4th, '07, 11:06

I used to live and work in Japan and I only went to "cook your own food" genre restaurants with friends and family. For me, it's kind of strange taking business clients to those kinds of restaurants (even high class ones), but everyone's idea of a good meal is different.

Personally, if I am going to buy an expensive meal, I prefer Japanese Kaiseki and the service that comes with it (if I'm going to spend that much, I'd rather relax and just be served. :-)
----You're absolutely right. ( I mentioned Kiccho as an example already. Once I went to
Kagurazaka ( location place of the Japanese drama " Haikei Chichi ue sama) You must
spend a lot of money there. Yes, "Geisha san" will show up there. Yes, you need to be
introduced by someone to even make reservations. Yes, I prefer to be entertained that way. My second choice will be going to Onsen (Hot springs) at Hakone and Izu.
Possibly the closest I mentioned in NY is Iron Chef Morimoto's restaurant or his previous
employer "Nobu" restaurant.

My original question comes from the fact that if a client himself wants to dine at
Korean BBQ Restaurant, what is the best way to ...? But unfortunately, many did not
understand the problem. ( Just being lucky I guess.)

Romi80

Post by Romi80 » Feb 6th, '07, 09:20

as a korean that eats in ft.lee every other day, i think you have a problem. you are just not being straight forward. if you go to a classy or decent korean bbq restaurant they will at the very least know some basic english. so just tell them you want to cook meat yourself, make sure they understand (most of them are bad @ english). your either being too shy or you feel embarassed to tell the waitress/waitor that you want to cook yourself. I see white people all the time that eat in korean bbq restaurants. They often want to cook the meat themselves and they are very straight forward, so waitresses don't bother them. You will not insult them by telling them you want to cook it themselves, less work they have to do.

nikochanr3

Re: KAGURAZAKA....Mmmm Great place. Pontocho, Kyoto....

Post by nikochanr3 » Feb 6th, '07, 16:09

delsxyz wrote:I used to live and work in Japan and I only went to "cook your own food" genre restaurants with friends and family. For me, it's kind of strange taking business clients to those kinds of restaurants (even high class ones), but everyone's idea of a good meal is different.

Personally, if I am going to buy an expensive meal, I prefer Japanese Kaiseki and the service that comes with it (if I'm going to spend that much, I'd rather relax and just be served. :-)
----You're absolutely right. ( I mentioned Kiccho as an example already. Once I went to
Kagurazaka ( location place of the Japanese drama " Haikei Chichi ue sama) You must
spend a lot of money there. Yes, "Geisha san" will show up there. Yes, you need to be
introduced by someone to even make reservations. Yes, I prefer to be entertained that way. My second choice will be going to Onsen (Hot springs) at Hakone and Izu.
Possibly the closest I mentioned in NY is Iron Chef Morimoto's restaurant or his previous
employer "Nobu" restaurant.

My original question comes from the fact that if a client himself wants to dine at
Korean BBQ Restaurant, what is the best way to ...? But unfortunately, many did not
understand the problem. ( Just being lucky I guess.)
Everyone understood the problem. Everyone told you JUST TELL THE WAITRESS. What solution did you want? :scratch:

auroragb

Re: KAGURAZAKA....Mmmm Great place. Pontocho, Kyoto....

Post by auroragb » Feb 6th, '07, 19:43

nikochanr3 wrote:Everyone understood the problem. Everyone told you JUST TELL THE WAITRESS. What solution did you want? :scratch:
I think what delsxyz wanted was a way to show off the client. He probably felt that speaking Korean was the most impressive way to do it. But he wasn't sure if there was a better way.

So, he phrased the question in a vague fashion, forcing us to play guessing games by shooting down suggestions that achieved the stated purpose but not the true purpose and telling us that we had reading comprehension and etiquette problems. Until lovedorama finally played along and did the translation that he wanted (but did not state) to begin with

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 26th, '07, 17:24

Went last night to SOOT BULL JEEP in L.A. I will never be able to stand eating at any other Korean BBQ, because I will be thinking "Damn, I could be eating at SOOT BULL JEEP!!".

The food is cooked over charcoal, the atmosphere is dense with smoke, it's close to 50 degrees above the outside temperature inside, and you will reek of smoke for days afterwards. BUT, you will eat food that will kill you and send you to heaven!

Sorry, didn't want to start a new thread just for that.

DarkAvelon

Post by DarkAvelon » Jul 4th, '07, 21:29

i've NEVER heard of a korean BBQ restaurant that cooks for you..... my family always cooks ourselves when we go to korean restaurants... weird

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Jul 4th, '07, 23:02

Welcome to D-Addicts!

groink

Post by groink » Jul 4th, '07, 23:13

DarkAvelon wrote:i've NEVER heard of a korean BBQ restaurant that cooks for you..... my family always cooks ourselves when we go to korean restaurants... weird
The places you go to are more likely self-serving, no-frills type of places. In Hawaii, Camellia's is a self-serving buffet style place, where you must walk around with a tray and hunt down the food yourself. But at many of the other places, they bring the raw ingredients to your table, and at least start cooking the food so that you get the idea on what to do (many of the Korean BBQs in Hawaii are visited by tourists.)

--- groink