Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

TV Drama Ratings?

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
jpwoof

TV Drama Ratings?

Post by jpwoof » Jan 26th, '07, 07:59

Where can I find the tv ratings for Korean Dramas that are currently being aired?

EDIT: I found this link, but can't read it:
http://www.tnsmk.co.kr/rating/main.asp?menu=Gi_Daily

Annessa

Post by Annessa » Jan 29th, '07, 08:37

well... you can always check soompi, since there's often ratings posted there, with the titles of the shows translated. sometimes the ratings for a specific drama will be posted in its respective thread. but you can always find updated postings of a list of top ratings for the week in the news thread in the kdrama/movies section.

which show's ratings are you looking for?

jpwoof

Post by jpwoof » Jan 29th, '07, 15:35

nothing in particular. I just wanted to know the highest rating show every week.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Jan 29th, '07, 15:54

jpwoof wrote:nothing in particular. I just wanted to know the highest rating show every week.
Thats easy...the answer is Jumong...as long as that drama runs its unbeatable and the last episodes hit 50%.

jpwoof

Post by jpwoof » Jan 29th, '07, 16:01

and that's in Korea? if so, then it's pretty interesting.

If the avatar that you have right now is Jumong, I think I'm going to check it out.

EDIT: man.. 80 episodes? I wonder if it's being subbed in english.

Annessa

Post by Annessa » Jan 29th, '07, 20:36

daily dramas and historical dramas usually rank pretty high up there. dramas like the 16 episode miniseries that are popular here (either d-addicts or soompi) are not always ranked as high in Korea.

Joo Mong has been dominating in the rankings, and it will likely continue to do so till the very last episode... no surprise there. i started watching the show, and i would recommend it... but since it's so long, i decided to download other dramas instead and just buy the dvd sets to watch later. there are currently english subs available, and i assume they will be finished eventually. it is a long series, so if you're patient, definitely check it out.

I clicked on the link for weekly ratings (the link you provided goes to daily ratings).
the top three for the last week in Korea was...

Joo Mong
Like Land and Sky (this is a daily drama starring Han Hyo Joo)
Noona (older sister)

also, dramas that are being subbed and made it in the top 20 are Dal Ja's Spring with 18.2% (#12) and Queen of the Game at 16.6% (#20). i didn't bother translating the entire list, since most of those shows are not being subbed anyway. but if you want to know the ratings every week, just check out soompi... or twitch-x, i think he posts ratings on his site too.

jpwoof

Post by jpwoof » Jan 29th, '07, 20:44

Tremendous help Annessa! Thanks much for shedding some light! :) I will surely check soompi for the ratings too.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 29th, '07, 22:29

Daily dramas and historical dramas have a much broader audience than the typical dramas we discuss here at d-addicts, hence the higher ratings. I wouldn't say something with higher ratings is necessarily better, it just means 60 year olds watch these shows too, as opposed to the smaller market of light hearted series which seems to appeal primarily to younger viewers.

I don't know anything about Jumong, but at 80 episodes, one would assume it's incredibly draggy.

Annessa

Post by Annessa » Jan 31st, '07, 21:29

^ oh, i totally agree. personally i don't think higher ratings always equates to better dramas (i guess that can be subjective too)... there have been really good dramas that didn't fare too well in the ratings or were overshadowed by another hugely popular drama. i was just pointing out what's generally true about the ratings.

and due to more viewing options, ratings don't often reach as high as 50-60% anymore. Joo Mong recently hit 50%, but it doesn't happen that often. there are other historical dramas currently airing like Yeon Gae So Moon and Dae Jo Young, which aren't doing nearly as well. while I haven't watched the more recent episodes of Joo Mong, i stil lthink there has to be something good about it to pull in so many viewers... this drama started out around 17% or some odd number, but as the weeks went by, the ratings kept on climbing.

of course, you can always go by others' recommendations if you're looking for another drama to watch. lots of kdrama fanatics on d-addicts and soompi!