dating in Korean culture

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
horndogbuddhist

dating in Korean culture

Post by horndogbuddhist » Sep 22nd, '06, 02:11

HELP! I am a guy who has been currently talking to this Korean foreign exchange student and I get the vibe that she might want to date me...BUT the thing is that I don't know any of the customs that comes along with Korean girls...HELP please...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: ok so I am quite novice at dating Korean girls, I think cuz I am just a "dumb" American (who despite having a Chinese background) really have no idea what I am doing. However, in heding all of your advice, I do thank you 2 for the suggestions. I must say that I am a lot more humble in my actions and thinking now. :salut: :salut: !fighting!

What I need to know are practices and cutural taboos from a Korean cultural perspective. I've recently found out that any physcial contact, outside of a VERY serious relationship is really not a good idea....hence why she's mad at me right now....this type of thing..help anyone who knows????
Last edited by horndogbuddhist on Sep 29th, '06, 03:40, edited 2 times in total.
Check me out at www.myspace.com/horndogbuddhist OR www.cyworld.com/ (name wujiaqi0514)

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Sep 22nd, '06, 02:35

Well a tip for dating women is show them something that other guys haven't showed them. She doesn't need you to show her korean culture, she can get that from korean guys. Why walk 20 blocks to buy milk from that new grocer when you can just get the same one 1 block up? There is no reason unless you heard it tastes different want to taste it.

Show her something she didn't experience, american/whatever country you're from dating. And every now and then throw some korean culture stuff just to let her know that you're thinking of her feelings (you don't have to really, but just pretend you do). Just don't be a pervert, dress nicely (shoes, belt, hair, those things matter), and smell good.

And try to do something you don't do on normal dates. I got one girl to like me by taking her to a street performance (I don't spend money, and she has a good time). She had so much fun, she actually ended up calling me for another date. good luck.

Baek

dd

Post by Baek » Sep 22nd, '06, 14:04

Try to show you as a strong guy...and it's good to give present or..pay the bill for her sometime..and be with her until she gets home.. she'll think you are romantic

Gyopo

Post by Gyopo » Sep 28th, '06, 04:00

Toss your money at her. Like literally take out your money from your wallet and throw it in her face. That'll wow her.

ToriQ

Post by ToriQ » Sep 28th, '06, 04:16

Gyopo wrote:That'll wow her.
Maybe in the worng way! :crazy:

Gyopo

Post by Gyopo » Sep 28th, '06, 05:07

No way, that's the way to go. She's an international student. By definition, she's probably from Seoul and fairly well off. She'll adore all the money you dump on her. Rarely do I find any International students from Gyongsangdo, Chollado, or whatever. Always Seoul.

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Sep 28th, '06, 20:29

Gyopo wrote:Toss your money at her. Like literally take out your money from your wallet and throw it in her face. That'll wow her.
She's not a hooker... I don't think that'll wow anybody but yourself.. :roll

kameleon

Post by kameleon » Sep 28th, '06, 21:24

She's already speaking to you and seems to appreciate you as you are until now. I would tell you to keep being yourself and to be nice to her. I think that it is her job to teach you about korean culture and stuffs, you only have then to show your interests in it. I hope it won't be fake interest in order to date her.
I don't have such experience with k girls and can't tell you how they are, it was just general advices.
anyway good luck and aja aja fighting!! :cheers:

horndogbuddhist

Post by horndogbuddhist » Sep 29th, '06, 03:34

Gyopo wrote:Toss your money at her. Like literally take out your money from your wallet and throw it in her face. That'll wow her.
Dude, you need to grow up JUST a little and realize that some people actually want to become more informed about other cultures and practices....how about we throw some money your way and maybe get you an education? AND no she's not looking for some dumb American to throw money at her. I am a grad student trying to get my Master's in Education...so NO I don't think that she really cares about money.
Check me out at www.myspace.com/horndogbuddhist OR www.cyworld.com/ (name wujiaqi0514)

wickedseahorse

Post by wickedseahorse » Oct 24th, '06, 05:01

does anyone NOT have a thing to say about this?!?!?1

ephesus
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ephesus » Oct 24th, '06, 05:13

horndogbuddhist wrote:Dude, you need to grow up JUST a little and realize that some people actually want to become more informed about other cultures and practices....
This coming from the 28 year old guy who is asking for advice on how to date a girl (?)
Not to mention the fact that if you don't understand her enough to know how to date her, what exactly ARE you attracted to?

That said, Asian girls in general want you to spoil them and let them act like children. When in Asia, women's rights go backward about 20 years. So in reality, although "throw money at her face" may be a bit too direct, it's probably pretty correct.

If you think that's "too general" since there are obviously exceptions, then you should probably not be asking for advice on a web forum. ;-)

XxLenaxX

Post by XxLenaxX » Oct 24th, '06, 23:20

I had a korean bf once and his family was really strict at first, I was scared they wouldnt let him date me at first but later they liked me so it wasnt too bad but it took a while. You just have to be very respectable towards them, they're real specific on that. but i'm also asian (viet) so I know the manners thing is a big part of it. yeah, they are quite strict on their kids dating outside of their race (And we did not break up because of his parents but b/c he moved away and long distance was too hard.)

gyuudon

Post by gyuudon » Oct 25th, '06, 14:15

The Korean girl my friend was dating suddenly disappeared along with my interest.

Hah, I don't know. They were from Busan. So I don't know the difference between that and Seoul.

Edit: But from what I hear, they can be aggressive sometimes or more... higher maintenence. The ones I experienced weren't that bad... except for the disappearing and all.
And regarding that "physical" contact thing, they didn't mind it at all. In fact, ther other girl pretty much inititiated it. It just depends on the girl I guess.

horndogbuddhist

Post by horndogbuddhist » Oct 25th, '06, 20:52

ephesus wrote:
horndogbuddhist wrote:Dude, you need to grow up JUST a little and realize that some people actually want to become more informed about other cultures and practices....
This coming from the 28 year old guy who is asking for advice on how to date a girl (?)
Not to mention the fact that if you don't understand her enough to know how to date her, what exactly ARE you attracted to?

That said, Asian girls in general want you to spoil them and let them act like children. When in Asia, women's rights go backward about 20 years. So in reality, although "throw money at her face" may be a bit too direct, it's probably pretty correct.

If you think that's "too general" since there are obviously exceptions, then you should probably not be asking for advice on a web forum. ;-)
Well yea...since I've not dated that many TRADITIONAL asian girls...well yea...