Same moments in K-Dramas that gets you frustrated.

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
vexate

Same moments in K-Dramas that gets you frustrated.

Post by vexate » Apr 25th, '06, 20:34

Have anybody else notice and feel frustrated from the same type of scene over and over again in alot of the K-Dramas? I would point some scenes out but i dont want to spoil it for people that havent seen a drama mentioned and what not. and the scenes pretty much repeats themselves through out the series but at different places.

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Apr 25th, '06, 20:41

I've noticed that a lot of times, they have a time fast forward near the end. As in, two or three years pass.

vexate

Post by vexate » Apr 26th, '06, 01:34

Yea, well i still love watching them. Just gets boring sometimes because the thing you hoped would happen or when you forsee it happen, it goes away in the blink of an eye in the next episode after getting your ""Closure"" of what you hoped for.

Kookie315

Post by Kookie315 » May 5th, '06, 12:48

Even though I loved Full House and My Girl and A Love to Kill, etc, I see a lot of repitition in the shows. It's probably just to make the shows longer, but they shouldn't do that. And also something I don't like is in most of the shows there is always someone who is selfish and wants to break up the main couple because they think they are in love with one of them. I really can't stand that, and I don't know why anyone would want to play those roles because you can't help but hate those characters.

vexate

Post by vexate » May 5th, '06, 16:54

aye aye i agree with ya there. alot of times i get close to not finishing the series cause they keep repeating the same thing over and over in each ep and its gets tiresome.

also true what u say about the antagonist of the bunch in the shows but sometimes the antagonist is favored. well for me anyways but bnot all the time heh.

mystiq

Post by mystiq » May 5th, '06, 17:15

Oh, what I totally don't understand is like, why is it in Korean dramas that when the characters get frustrated, they don't switch off their cell, but rather *plonked* the battery outta the cell. Doesn't it spoil the cell, or makes it lose the info in it?

Happened in 3 dramas that I've watched so far - My Lovely Samsoon, Wonderful Life, Save The Last Dance.

shiny plastic

Post by shiny plastic » May 5th, '06, 19:04

one thing that really bugs me about K-dramas is the dialogue. Why can't they simply answer with a "yes" or "no" instead of crying everytime. The leading female actress always bugs me the most as she's unrealistically nice and can forgive anyone on cue. Way too idealistic and barely adds to the dimension of the character.

One another thing I noticed is that they'll randomly throw in some sort of tragic momment just to use as a cliffhanger. At times it feels way too over the top and wish they'd stop trying to push tears out of us.

Kookie315

Post by Kookie315 » May 5th, '06, 21:06

vexate wrote:aye aye i agree with ya there. alot of times i get close to not finishing the series cause they keep repeating the same thing over and over in each ep and its gets tiresome.

also true what u say about the antagonist of the bunch in the shows but sometimes the antagonist is favored. well for me anyways but bnot all the time heh.
What show and antagonist have you favored? I've probably never seen it then, because the shows I watch have really evil and mean antagonists.

Noor

What I hate the most about Korean Drama

Post by Noor » May 6th, '06, 19:19

Hi

There is one thing that irritates me about Korean dramas. Some people might think it is insignificant, but to me, I find quit annoying and it really devalues the whole series. In some dramas, so often cameras catch thing are not supposed to be seen by the audience. I screenshot some of these scenes.

So far, I’ve seen only 4 Korean dramas. Only in one of them such a mistake was not made, or at least I did not notice it if there was one. It was “My love patzzi”

My first Korean drama was “Winter Sonata”.

Episode 01:

[img]http://afnan86.jeeran.com/question/Wint ... a_01q2.JPG[/img]

[img]http://afnan86.jeeran.com/question/Wint ... a_01_2.jpg[/img]

Episode 06:

This thing is not only totally out of place, but it is also moving:

[img]http://afnan86.jeeran.com/question/wint ... [t1]q2.JPG[/img]

[img]http://afnan86.jeeran.com/question/wint ... [t1]_2.jpg[/img]

Episode 15:

[img]http://afnan86.jeeran.com/question/Wint ... a_15q1.JPG[/img]

[img]http://afnan86.jeeran.com/question/Winter_Sonata_15.jpg[/img]

My second drama was “Snow White”. I liked it. It wasn’t as gloomy as my first one. I have a question though, why is it that they eat all the time?

Episode 10: someone please tells me what the hell is that guy doing there?

[img]http://afnan86.jeeran.com/question/Snow.White10q1.JPG[/img]

[img]http://afnan86.jeeran.com/question/Snow.White.10.jpg[/img]

My fourth drama, and the best one I’ve seen. I really was happy, this one was clearly much more expensive. The difference between this drama and the others is significant. I loved it and wished for it to continue the way it was. However, for my disappointment, I saw the last thing I wanted to see! It was the microphone again!

[img]http://afnan86.jeeran.com/question/Goong.14q1.JPG[/img]

[img]http://afnan86.jeeran.com/question/Goong.14.jpg[/img]

What do you think?

Noor

kenderkin88

Post by kenderkin88 » May 6th, '06, 19:41

Well.. I think you're being a little too nit-picky. :blink I've only noticed stuff like that in one of my Kdramas, and I don't even remember which one it was, now.. I never would have noticed the one in Goong, either, if you hadn't pointed it out. [I barely noticed it when you DID point it out. How bright is your screen, that you were able to notice that? :blink ]

I think that mistakes like that are forgivable.. The episodes are on a schedule, and sometimes the editors might be too rushed to pick up on stuff like that. As long as the story and acting are good, I'm perfectly willing to overlook such slight mistakes.

But that's just me. I tend to be oblivious about stuff I'm not expecting to see. :whistling:

And who knows? Maybe you just got unlucky and happened to download all of the series like that.. Maybe the rest are fine. ^.^

Quadrono

Post by Quadrono » May 6th, '06, 20:05

When I opened this thread I was expecting something along the lines of the Ten Commandments of K-drama :lol

As for those mic moments... I tend to find the whole thing more amusing than unforgivable :roll
Those mistakes, which I didn't even notice when I watched those kdramas (I did however notice the cameraman quite a lot in LSIH though)... it didn't really spoil the whole thing for me or make the whole experience of those drama less enjoyable... I focus more on the actors and actresses themselves than on the surroundings :-)

Romance

Post by Romance » May 6th, '06, 20:13

do you remember the scene from sorry i love you? :D in the first ep i think at the harbor when the whole crew is captured on screen

Quadrono

Post by Quadrono » May 6th, '06, 20:16

Lol. I seriously did not notice that until someone posted the screenshot here. :lol

Childhoodless

Post by Childhoodless » May 6th, '06, 20:21

Technical mistakes such as those are not limited to K-Dramas.

There are plenty of other examples of boom mics in shots and obvious evidence of crew members in television and movies, regardless of budget.

I know of 2 quick examples right now: Spiderman, and Stargate.

There is a scene in which J. Jonah Jameson is meeting Peter Parker for the first time, and if you look closely enough, you will see the boom mic pop in.

Stargate: If you look at Kurt Russell whenever he's wearing his sunglasses, you can easily see the camera and crew in the reflections. It's glaringly obvious.

No matter how big the budget, people are still people. And people are not infallible. Mistakes will happen.

deathviasatellite

Post by deathviasatellite » May 6th, '06, 20:31

hahaha i found that quite funny

neena

Post by neena » May 6th, '06, 20:59

lolz, I didn't notice those sort of things....BUT I do notice this:
-They're long and kinda boring. (Sometimes I wish they'd be shorter)
-In almost every drama there is a love triangle, that's boring.
-The girl is always innocent looking and not very rich.
-There is always a girl who plays the villian...she seems to always look prettier then the heroine and richer too.
-Someone important in the drama dies in the end. (that really pisses me off)

ONe thing I like about Kdramas:
LOTS OF EYE CANDY!

I've seen a lot of Kdramas but never finish them to the end. (Not even the most famous one right now, Goong) The only kdrama I've seen from beginning to end (and I also own the original DVD) is Winter Sonata with Bae Yong Jun and Choi Ji Woo. Thats a classic!

jockesama

Post by jockesama » May 6th, '06, 21:05

Hi, I've noticed the same thing when I've watched two k-dramas. Things that shouldn't be there.

This is from "Resurrection" episode 13, at 23min53sec. You can clearly see the microphone sticking out from above.
[img]http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/6683 ... p130xd.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img420.imageshack.us/img420/925/ ... dit0xb.jpg[/img]

This is from "Sweet Spy" episode 7, at 40min34sec. There is a head sticking out inside the police station.
Actually the police woman in front hasn't got her key with her and can't get inside. So there's supposed to be no one in there. Actually it bothered me a bit. I think it's someone from the crew.
[img]http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4170 ... p074ak.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/8219/s ... dit2ij.jpg[/img]

lilkrnjasheekx

Post by lilkrnjasheekx » May 7th, '06, 01:16

haha i remember in an episode of my girl, the sound mic was in the shot. it was so blatant..
it reminds me of those really horribly produced low budget tv shows. u'd think they'd have enough money to just re-do the shot!

ilot

Post by ilot » May 7th, '06, 01:36

neena wrote:lolz, I didn't notice those sort of things....BUT I do notice this:
-There is always a girl who plays the villian...she seems to always look prettier then the heroine and richer too.

!
you forgot another one boring theme, there's always a contract between the hero and heroin. I'm getting sick of it recently. The 'contract theme' seems to be applied in most korean comedy romance drama.

Oh, and about the head of microphone, I thought I am the only one who does noticed it. It was appeared in 1 % of anything as well besides all the drama that you mention before. :scratch:

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » May 7th, '06, 01:48

wow...I would've never noticed any of that if you hadn't pointed it out..well, maybe the first one yeah. I don't really watch K-dramas so I wouldn't be able to point out any flaws. Good eye though..
Last edited by albertoavena on May 7th, '06, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.

jinjin

Post by jinjin » May 7th, '06, 01:58

all these errors are pretty common...it even occurs in US tv shows, like friends..
dun take it hard.. :mrgreen:

veritati

Post by veritati » May 7th, '06, 02:11

ONe thing I like about Kdramas:
LOTS OF EYE CANDY!

I've seen a lot of Kdramas but never finish them to the end. (Not even the most famous one right now, Goong) The only kdrama I've seen from beginning to end (and I also own the original DVD) is Winter Sonata with Bae Yong Jun and Choi Ji Woo. Thats a classic!
I agree with most of these assessments. Seriously, Korean dramas tend to drag too much. Even 16 episodes seems long, but you have some that are 26 episodes. It depends on the storyline, but still, they can make it a lot shorter. And those intruding microphones do get to me sometimes. These dramas are done by professionals, but when I see that it makes me feel like I am watching a low-budget, amateur production. It just devalues my regards for the drama. I've never once seen it in a Japanese drama. And why can't they make a drama where the family is not an issue? In almost all korean dramas, the parents always disapprove of a relationship due to differences in class and status. This rich-and-poor theme is getting boring. And the number one thing I hate about Korean dramas is the ridiculous fashion promotion/placement. It's nice to be fashionable, but every character wear some crazy outfit in evey scene. It just doesn't fit into the scene/situation/their job/status in the drama. And it's not only that, but some of these clothings are ridiculously fashion faux pas. Who in real life wears dress shirt without sleeves. Or who would wear vests over t-shirts? Or who would wear crazy, funny color all the time? And those scarves that they have the guys wear are just unbearable sometimes. One last thing that I don't like about korean dramas is how they try to censor a brand or logo, especially of cars. You know they are driving a Mercedes, but they try to put a blob on it and it gets annoying. And they do it in some scenes, but not others. Why?

luith

Post by luith » May 7th, '06, 02:25

Ahahaha, that's making me laugh so much, because it's so true. Although, one instance... I thought Maya was a lot uglier than Hana in Tree of Heaven. She was just... eh.

kenderkin88

Post by kenderkin88 » May 7th, '06, 02:32

veritati wrote:And the number one thing I hate about Korean dramas is the ridiculous fashion promotion/placement. It's nice to be fashionable, but every character wear some crazy outfit in evey scene. It just doesn't fit into the scene/situation/their job/status in the drama. And it's not only that, but some of these clothings are ridiculously fashion faux pas. Who in real life wears dress shirt without sleeves. Or who would wear vests over t-shirts? Or who would wear crazy, funny color all the time? And those scarves that they have the guys wear are just unbearable sometimes.
Well, it MIGHT just be the Korean fashion now. They are, after all, in KOREA, not in America. Fashion varies around the world--just look at some of the photo shoots some time, and you'll see what I mean. Not all of them are like that, though. In My Girl, the only one with the crazy outfits is Yoo-rin. It all depends on the mood of the show, too.

Seriously, Korean drama is quickly becoming my favourite genre. The subject tends to be more interesting than Japanese dramas, in my opinion, and they're less likely to go off into bizarre, uncharted territory than Taiwanese dramas are. The acting is usually excellent, and for the most part the technical stuff is great. Frame-intruding objects aside, the camera work is generally very well done. The sound is MUCH better than in Taiwanese dramas, in my opinion [none of that obnoxious background fuzzing when no one is talking, thank you!], and often better than Japanese dramas, too. I love the colours in Korean drama, too. They're so..VIVID. Very appealing to the eye.

The fact that some of the men are utterly gorgeous helps, too. :wub:

caryncyh

Post by caryncyh » May 7th, '06, 02:39

erm, i probably only have two shows that have the same type of ending and this two dramas are part of a 4-drama-serial based on, yep, season. well, this two had the same type of tragic ending, almost. one of the main characters either have a terminal disease and will die, leaving the other so heartbroken or something bad happens to one of them and they have to part.

another similarity that seems to be hot commodity these days are the whole "love-hate" relationship. they first started out hating each other and all of a sudden, bang! they're in love. sometimes it happens so fast i don't see why or how hate can turn into love.

and sometimes i actually pity the supporting character where they like this person so much they'd do anything for them but the other person does reciprocate the love and instead go about loving the other main character who's mean to him/her. *shruG*

KoreanMania

Post by KoreanMania » May 7th, '06, 02:44

What frustrates me most is when the guy have fallen for the girl and he acts so obvious to show how much he likes her, but she just can't seem to see it, thinks that she's always standing in his way and starts turning to the other guy for comfort.. and vice versa. Wish sometimes they would stop beating around the bush and just say the magic words :wub: But well, I guess that's what makes drama more interesting and keeps us glued to our seats :lol

expo1970

Post by expo1970 » May 7th, '06, 04:00

korean dramas have lots of technical problems because of the way they are made. korean dramas are shown two episodes per week and so filming is often rushed. it's not very rare that a shot that was taken today is already on tv on that same night. also, actors and actresses are often not even reading a script because a script has not been written. many times the actors/actresses are just adlibbing. korean dramas are also very low budget. coupled with their kenchanayo~ spirit, they often don't do retakes when things not supposed to be on screen appear on screen. the most common example of this is extras. korean tv dramas do not clear out the area before taking a shot, so random people are in the background, these people who appear to be extras are not actually extras.

on top of which, korean dramas often repeat the same plotline because shows that are popular are forced to continue whereas in other countries, they end regardless of popularity. this explains why in many dramas, the same character gets hit by cars more than once, characters get diseased easily, or fly off to another country. the once creative story writers are forced into reusing ideas because of a bad system. the fact that there isn't much competition between tv networks doesn't help much too. but i'd say the biggest factor is that korean dramas have yet to develop their own original ideas and unique stories because dramas are still relatively new to korea. if the koreans get as much experience and funds as the japanese, for example, they'd probably start polishing their work more. this is just a matter of bad environment, i think.

hanib

Post by hanib » May 7th, '06, 04:06

^
^ for the crazy outfit of Yoorin , I think it's really cute and suitable with her image and personality . I especially adore her earring styles , woww too much and too cute <3

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » May 7th, '06, 04:14

I disagree that only korean dramas have errors within their films. I have a sharp eye and I notice many things that happen within the film. I watch both Korean and Chinese dramas and have noticed that both have multiple (at least one) errors in every drama. It's either errors they have missed or errors they feel of no need to correct. Such errors are, the microphones, trucks/cars in the background (in ancient drama), capture of a crew by accident, etc.

But I agree about the Korean "instyle" fashion. They just annoy the heck out of me, somet of the things they wear are ok, and some are to the extreme like who would actually wear that. Sometimes they OD on the mix and match kind of style where it gets to the point that it's out of control and plain ugly.

vexate

Post by vexate » May 9th, '06, 15:59

im too busy to watch the actors/actresses to even see the mics or reflection of crew members but i remember seeing a mic head just once but forgot which drama it was but since that happens in every drama series, i guess its irrelevant to be shocked and what not.

vexate

Post by vexate » May 9th, '06, 16:11

Kookie315 wrote:
vexate wrote:aye aye i agree with ya there. alot of times i get close to not finishing the series cause they keep repeating the same thing over and over in each ep and its gets tiresome.

What show and antagonist have you favored? I've probably never seen it then, because the shows I watch have really evil and mean antagonists.

I liked the girl that was agianst Bi's true love, the one whom "Lied" her way into being with Bi for all those years in a love to kill.. ANother Drama is from stairway to heaven, the step sister
that tried to steal KSW from the heroine of the drama. They lie!!! their way into the heroes heart :(. I guess its not all that evil but it made both the leading actors to get into those depression states a couple of times. One antagonist i really hated but also has nothing to do with relationships between couples is from THe Glass Shoe i think, the girl who pretended to be the Lost sister of the big corporate working Sister that the Grandfather owns. I really disliked her and felt bad things should fall upon that character.

ksaz

Post by ksaz » May 9th, '06, 17:28

I think it's true, there is always some kind of contract in the drama. and what is boring to me is that there is always four people how are in love of the people who don't love them. For example that happend in goong, wonderful love, full house.... , and what i heat the most is the most of the time "the guy does'nt know how show his feeling for the girl" i mean come on???? they should learn right???

but even though some times it gets kind of obviuos what is gonna happen, i still love korean dramas!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

ephesus
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ephesus » May 9th, '06, 17:35

Blepharoplasty; enough said.
Last edited by ephesus on Jan 1st, '08, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.

DITA

Post by DITA » May 10th, '06, 05:19

well, i think kdrama is always about love triangle. and some plot had been repeated and can be found in other drama too. which will make the drama less memorable...