who else watches kdrama with their parent(s) ?

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
Jpizzle

who else watches kdrama with their parent(s) ?

Post by Jpizzle » Aug 22nd, '05, 03:44

The nice thing about kdramas is that the majority of them are "family" friendly. Unlike some American TV which I wouldn't watch with my parents.. lol (I'm not a prude.. its just weird)

My oma is more crazy/hooked on kdramas than I am.. its kinda scary. She hella bugs me to watch the next episodes of shows.. I'm like.. its still DLing calm down.. and she completely zones out in front of the comp screen hahaha.

Its nice since I don't speak korean, she can translate better than the subs and can also translate the korean expressions/sayings which don't get translated very well into english.

anyways, I know I'm not alone.. share your stories <3

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Aug 22nd, '05, 04:38

I watch K-dramas with my mum all the time. It's our shared pastime. :D I watch K-dramas with my dad too, but he needs some persuasion from my mum before he does watch, because he prefers watching sports or sleeping. :lol But the funniest thing is, when he gets hooked on a drama, he'd make us watch with him till the wee hours of the morning! Usually I'd be the first to give up & go to bed. :P

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Aug 22nd, '05, 04:39

Aha! Did ye know that I just bought the Philips Divx player this afternoon so my mom can watch the .avi files on TV? Just a moment ago, they were all in the living room, my two aunties, my uncle, my mom, my sort-of grandma...all of them watching a kdrama :lol
It's such a beautiful sight! :mrgreen:
My mom keeps whining that she doesn't like watching dramas, but when I make her start, she's even worse than me. She'll finish a 20 hrs drama within a day!
That's why I started hiding the next episodes before I go to work. What really annoys me, is that she likes to compare the main characters from Lovers in Paris(her first kdrama) with whoever she is watching currently. A while ago, I heard her say: She's copying "aja-aja" 's facial expressions; she doesn't cry as good as "aja-aja"; "Paris" is still a better president than this guy.
Oh btw, "aja-aja" is Kim Jeung-Eun and "Paris" is Park Shin Yang from LIP...
ay, ay, ay...my mom...*sigh*

white.raine

Post by white.raine » Aug 22nd, '05, 04:40

Haha, my parents are white. I don't know how open they would to be to the concept of foreign television shows. They have no problem with movies, but shows I think would be too much effort among other things.

TNF
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by TNF » Aug 22nd, '05, 04:55

my mom introduced me to my first kdrama All About Eve back in 2000 or 2001. She was more hooked than I was, but I caught on to the series around the middle lol, so I missed quite a lot.

crazylazy_chief

Post by crazylazy_chief » Aug 22nd, '05, 05:03

Yeah, I watch k-drama with my mom....though I mostly watch the kdrama that is airing on tv, the only time that I watched a k-drama with her on the computer is 18 vs. 29, lol, I still remember she forced me to watch two eps with her at 2am in the morning on a SCHOOL night. :| :crazy: :pale:

And now, me and her is watching Dae Jang Geum together on tv...heh, though my dad doesn't watch it with us, because he finds k-drama with too much crying, I guess...LOL, I still remember me and my mom were watching Glass Slippers, and we were bawling our eyes out, while my dad just shook his head and went to sleep. :lol My dad is the type that I would watch Jerry Springer, and fear factor with, while my mom is the type that I would watch kdrama with. :whistling:

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Aug 22nd, '05, 05:30

I've watched an episode or two of Dae Jang Geum with my step dad, but that''s about it. My parents were major drama addicts at a time I couldn't care less about Korean or Asian tv. But they were addicts, I tell you! They'd eagerly rent vhs tapes from the local K store, pop that baby into the VHS and watch with much smiling and glee. I remember coming from the airport one day and the main objective, of all things, for my mom was that I drive her home in time for her to catch her drama. Saranghamnida, eomeonim.

crazylife123
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by crazylife123 » Aug 22nd, '05, 05:37

My parents are watching chinese dramas right now. If my dad didn't have work, he would stay up til 3am in the morning to watch them. My mom could watch 10-15 hours straight. She's an addict. Let me see...$0.50 for each VHS tape...$200 a month...400 tapes? LoL

lilyella

Post by lilyella » Aug 22nd, '05, 06:12

my mom and i watch korean series together. she is so addicted to them and that's the reason why we have those original dvds of them. she watches some episodes all night that my dad is already complaining when it is already 3 am and she still does not want to sleep yet.

Jpizzle

Post by Jpizzle » Aug 22nd, '05, 07:38

jaycee05 wrote:Aha! Did ye know that I just bought the Philips Divx player this afternoon so my mom can watch the .avi files on TV? Just a moment ago, they were all in the living room, my two aunties, my uncle, my mom, my sort-of grandma...all of them watching a kdrama :lol
It's such a beautiful sight! :mrgreen:
My mom keeps whining that she doesn't like watching dramas, but when I make her start, she's even worse than me. She'll finish a 20 hrs drama within a day!
lol thats so funny. My mom did the same thing with winter sonata.. watched all day all nite.

How does the divx player work (im tech nub.. sorta). Just burn the file onto a cd then it plays in the divx player? How does it work out subs and stuff?

btw its comforting to know that other people watch dramas with their parents :)

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Aug 22nd, '05, 08:22

My mother, my aunt, her daughter, her friends are all kdrama addicts and they bug me ALL THE TIME to get more kdrama. :roll

capucine

Post by capucine » Aug 22nd, '05, 08:31

My mom and me watch "Full House" together. :mrgreen:

PJB

Post by PJB » Aug 22nd, '05, 08:55

Hehe I've never been able to get my mom to watch kdramas, she doesn't like anything with subtitles. :glare:

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Aug 22nd, '05, 23:12

Jpizzle wrote: lol thats so funny. My mom did the same thing with winter sonata.. watched all day all nite.
20 hrs of Winter Sonata in one day!? What's up with BYJ and Mothers? :lol
I guess, your mom would beat my mom anytime, though she havent seen WS yet.
I only make her watch the good kdramas--the type that are meant to be "marathonized"
Jpizzle wrote:How does the divx player work (im tech nub.. sorta). Just burn the file onto a cd then it plays in the divx player? How does it work out subs and stuff?
The one I bought was Philips DVP642/37--it was cheap too, about $73CAD(plus tax, went up to 90 bucks) US$59.00
It can play DVD,VCD,SVCD, et cetera, et cetera, but who cares about those, what I care about is its divx/mpeg4 compatability :mrgreen:
Meaning it would play any avi files that were encoded using divx 3.11,4.x and 5.x. If you right click on your avi files you can see the compression used. I was also surprised that it played my XVID files, but at first the video would shake a lot, but it'll settle down later. As for the subs, it supports .sub, .srt, and .smi. Just burn them on a CD-R/DVD-R as data and the manual had an insert explaining how to play the files with the subs.
The bad news is that it can't play ogg--my animes :-( and mkv --Dae Jang Geum :cry: ...well...you can still extract and then re-encode them with divx or play them in ur pc...I don't mind watching them on my pc...I only bought it for my mom coz she hates watching dramas on the monitor, and it gets quite tiring connecting my laptop & speakers with the TV upstairs.

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Aug 22nd, '05, 23:23

I'd have no chance of getting anyone I know to watch anything foreign :P

evildevil

Post by evildevil » Aug 23rd, '05, 01:14

My parents dont like K-drama. They only watch TVB. I dont really feel like watching K-drama with them. Lolz I"m weird. Not just K-drama, TVB and any other serie as well. I just feel wat the romantic part, i feel so awkward if they're around. Haha. At any romantic scene or kissing scene, my mom or dad would be like "ur too young" or "kiss kiss kiss ... always kissing". That just ruin the whole serie ahhaha.

I remember last time I was watching Sam Soon, the part Hyun Bin decided to come back to the hotel to hear wat his ex wanted to say. Then Sam soon told him she likes him. My dad translated it the sub into vietnamese in a funny way. I was like ... its supposed to be quiet at that time ...

If my mom understand english, I believe she would enjoy it. I like watching Dae jang Geum with her. But she doesnt want to cuz the sub was too fast.

kood
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kood » Aug 23rd, '05, 01:28

Not I, but my younger siblings do, to translate.

Romance

Post by Romance » Aug 23rd, '05, 01:45

my mom thinks asian shows are bad and that asian people are ugly :( Guess its hard to just take something like that after all those years with western shows, shes still the best mom in the world though ^^

P0KEY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by P0KEY » Aug 23rd, '05, 01:57

teehee, this is an interesting topic 8)

i watch dramas with my parents all the time, especially my mom. we are major drama addicts; our drama watching together is probably our "mother daughter" time XD my dad also watches with me and my mom, especially lovers in paris. But when it`s just me and my mom, we stay up like little kids (we pulled an all nighter once --24 hours nonstop-- watching this one show called Symphony of Rain and Thunder) and my dad would wake up and find us still watching, and would have to scold both of us XD he complains that he has to take care of two kids instead of a wife and a child XD

when i watch with my mom, it`s like watching with a best friend, nothing really embarasses me when awkward moments and stuff comes up :lol

but one drama i couldn`t watch with her was GTO XD that one was a little too extreme..

Jpizzle

Post by Jpizzle » Aug 23rd, '05, 05:45

haha these stories are cute

thats what I like about kdramas. The romance is very mild (in comparison to american television) for the most part.. the subject matter is rated "PG" usually.. so it doesn't make me feel awkward to watch it with my oma.

jaycee- thanks for the info! I'm really going to look into getting one of those.

to set the record straight.. she didn't watch WS all in one nite lol.. that would be too much. It was like over the course of a week.. but it that sitll added up to like 2-4 hrs each night which is a lot for her.

mallorn

Post by mallorn » Aug 23rd, '05, 10:47

Haha, whenever me and my sister watched K-dramas on TV, my parents would pretend that they weren't interested, but then they'd suddenly ask us to turn up the volume or not block the screen. :D So yes, in a way...

takkichi

Post by takkichi » Aug 23rd, '05, 10:53

My mom and I don't live on the same island so we don't have a chance of watching them together. My mom loves K-dramas. I on the other hand love J-dramas. I've only seen 1 K-drama so far.

telethrow

Post by telethrow » Aug 23rd, '05, 21:04

My first Kdrama was sweet 18. I burn it with english subs on it. She saw me watching it and she was hooked. She kept telling me to dl more. The strange thing is her english is not very good but when it comes to reading subs sometimes they're too fast but she can read them and understand.

My mom even makes my dad watch them with her at night until 2 in the morning. Then she brings them to our store and watching them there too. That woman is more addicted than me.

P0KEY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by P0KEY » Aug 23rd, '05, 23:08

telethrow wrote: My mom even makes my dad watch them with her at night until 2 in the morning. Then she brings them to our store and watching them there too. That woman is more addicted than me.
haha, your mom and my mom would have a lot to talk about :lol

Bi's girl

Post by Bi's girl » Aug 24th, '05, 05:11

tikleabubble wrote:my mom introduced me to my first kdrama All About Eve back in 2000 or 2001. She was more hooked than I was, but I caught on to the series around the middle lol, so I missed quite a lot.

man...talk about that movie!!! i love that movie!!it made me cry :cry: !

anyhoo...i would love to watch with anyone in the family except for my mom!! yikes :crazy: !! she kept on talking ...any movie that i get addicted to it, she hates it!! and when she hates, she starts giving negatives comments, i always fight with her on that! :argue: !! whenever i watch a movie with her, i have to watch it again the next day(alone) so i would understand and enjoy the movie more better!!!
Attachments
All About Eve3.jpg
All About Eve3.jpg (27.91 KiB) Viewed 9278 times

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Aug 24th, '05, 05:27

jaycee05 wrote:
Jpizzle wrote: lol thats so funny. My mom did the same thing with winter sonata.. watched all day all nite.
Yeah, I need to find out too! My mum has been so smitten with BYJ since Winter Sonata that she has been buying all the Malay-subbed VCDs of his past dramas that are available. The titles that aren't available, she tells me to somehow download them or trade for them. :blink

bugsie

Post by bugsie » Aug 24th, '05, 06:02

Jannah wrote:
jaycee05 wrote:
Yeah, I need to find out too! My mum has been so smitten with BYJ since Winter Sonata that she has been buying all the Malay-subbed VCDs of his past dramas that are available. The titles that aren't available, she tells me to somehow download them or trade for them. :blink
lol :D my mom is also a fan of BYJ since she watched winter sonata. i don't get it, i think there is somthing in BYJ that mothers like.

son_yejin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by son_yejin » Aug 24th, '05, 08:48

i watch korean dramas with my mom ALL THE TIME.
it's like, everyday, she'll bug me for new stuff to watch, and keeps hounding me for Bae yong joon, Jo In Sung or some of her other 'men' to watch.
and i watch it with her, it's so much more fun then watching it alone definitely..
we relate so much better to each other now that this korean dramas thing that we share has almost become a nightly routine!

son_yejin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by son_yejin » Aug 24th, '05, 08:53

Jannah wrote:
jaycee05 wrote:
my goodness..
i see a trend here.. mothers have somewhat of an affinity with actor bae yong joon??
i mean, yeah, i liked him in winter sonata too, but not to THAT extent.
my mom keeps asking me when his latest movie April snow will be released.
and on my part, i find her stuff (dramas from his older times) to dl, and i actually convert them to vcds for her to watch(since her eyes hurt from watching from the comp screen).

she loves him like hell, says he's manly..err.. i guess..
aish.. the things i do for my mom.

P0KEY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by P0KEY » Aug 24th, '05, 14:02

Bi's girl wrote: anyhoo...i would love to watch with anyone in the family except for my mom!! yikes :crazy: !! she kept on talking ...any movie that i get addicted to it, she hates it!! and when she hates, she starts giving negatives comments, i always fight with her on that! :argue: !! whenever i watch a movie with her, i have to watch it again the next day(alone) so i would understand and enjoy the movie more better!!!
omg, i totally agree.. if i`m watching something with a friend (like meteor garden or whatnot) and my mom comes in, she always always will spoil it for the new person watching.. she`ll say things like "Oh, he`s the fake half brother that daomingsi`s mom paid to make shan cai leave daomingsi..." or "Oh, didn`t shan cai save daomingsi by saving him from being hit by a chair?"

aghh it really pisses me off... :crazy: . luckily, when i watch stuff with her, we both have never seen the drama we`re watching, so she can`t spoil things for me :-) but i can just never watch things over again with her, she always spoils things

xbtcmdx

Post by xbtcmdx » Aug 25th, '05, 05:26

w0w....ur parents are totally cool
as if i could ever get any1 in my family to watch the dramas wit me....no actually, as if i could just get them to stop scolding me for watching kdramas. im sooo addicted to kdramas but because i noe every1 in my family hates it whenever they see me watching kdramas, thats why i can only watch like 4 episodes a day at most. My mom's always getting on my back about how american movies are so much better than dramas and im wasting time watching dramas. She even thinks that I'm crazy and whenever we have an arguement (which happens like once every week) about me not studying enuff and watching too much of these dramas, she always goes "see? ur starting to talk rubbish becuz u watched too much of those dramas" :argue:

ARGHH....i cant even watch my dramas in peace :"""(

During these 2 months of summer, I only had a chance to watch 5 series and get yelled at everyday for watching them.

Cuz my mom can't understand neither english or korean, that's why she could never see how great kdramas are :hissy:

P0KEY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by P0KEY » Aug 25th, '05, 05:29

xbtcmdx wrote:w0w....ur parents are totally cool
as if i could ever get any1 in my family to watch the dramas wit me....no actually, as if i could just get them to stop scolding me for watching kdramas. im sooo addicted to kdramas but because i noe every1 in my family hates it whenever they see me watching kdramas, thats why i can only watch like 4 episodes a day at most. My mom's always getting on my back about how american movies are so much better than dramas and im wasting time watching dramas. She even thinks that I'm crazy and whenever we have an arguement (which happens like once every week) about me not studying enuff and watching too much of these dramas, she always goes "see? ur starting to talk rubbish becuz u watched too much of those dramas" :argue:

ARGHH....i cant even watch my dramas in peace :"""(

During these 2 months of summer, I only had a chance to watch 5 series and get yelled at everyday for watching them.

Cuz my mom can't understand neither english or korean, that's why she could never see how great kdramas are :hissy:
aww, you should get a drama for her in a language that she can understand (subbed) and let her think it`s a movie... then she`ll get hooked and then it`ll be your chance to say "told you so" :P

hehe, actually now that i just reread that, it feels very mean XD but hey, it might work

xbtcmdx

Post by xbtcmdx » Aug 25th, '05, 17:24

P0KEY wrote:
aww, you should get a drama for her in a language that she can understand (subbed) and let her think it`s a movie... then she`ll get hooked and then it`ll be your chance to say "told you so" :P

hehe, actually now that i just reread that, it feels very mean XD but hey, it might work
well, that would be nice but apparenlty, there are no vietnamese subs

dianevee

Post by dianevee » Aug 26th, '05, 06:22

I do! My mom and I watched Winter Sonata, Beautiful Days, Miss Mermaid, Full House, All About Even, Sweet 18 and Attic Cat together. We're both hooked and the good is that we get to bond more. And recently since I've been working late I was unable to watch drama with her so she bought me the whole CD collection of Sweet 18 ain't that sweet!!!

bloopy_babo

Post by bloopy_babo » Aug 27th, '05, 03:00

actually my parents have always watched korean dramas from the korean tape store. haha but then i jus got into them so now i download them and my dad makes me download x-man[variety show] a lot tho. but now my mom is makin me download fashion 70s wit subbies. cuz my dad doesnt like to translate while he is watchin it.

by the way.. my dad is korean but my mom isnt.

it is fun watchin it wit my dad tho. my mom talks to much.

Bi's girl

Post by Bi's girl » Aug 27th, '05, 05:08

bloopy_babo wrote:it is fun watchin it wit my dad tho. my mom talks to much.
i'm with you on that!!! the moms!! always talks!! :x

P0KEY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by P0KEY » Aug 27th, '05, 06:49

Bi's girl wrote:
i totally agree :glare:

OmGj0n4th4n

Post by OmGj0n4th4n » Aug 28th, '05, 06:30

haha my parents are obbessed wit kdramas

Carn

Post by Carn » Aug 28th, '05, 06:40

My mom and dad like Damo, although my mom seems mostly confused by it. ^_^; She got my dad hooked on Winter Sonata..she, my sis and my dad were outside watching it. They even stayed up until 1 in the morning for a few days, which is amazing considering my mom usually sleeps at 9. =\ Oh, and my dad watched Lovers in Paris with my mom and liked it! So now my sis and I are going to make my parents watch Bright Girl's Success Story with us. ^_^
P0KEY wrote:
Bi's girl wrote:
Dude, when watching Damo, my mom always goes "What? What happened? Huh? What did she say?" :crazy: I agree, it is much more fun watching it with my dad XD

Bi's girl

Post by Bi's girl » Aug 28th, '05, 17:08

Carn wrote:My mom and dad like Damo, although my mom seems mostly confused by it. ^_^; She got my dad hooked on Winter Sonata..she, my sis and my dad were outside watching it. They even stayed up until 1 in the morning for a few days, which is amazing considering my mom usually sleeps at 9. =\ Oh, and my dad watched Lovers in Paris with my mom and liked it! So now my sis and I are going to make my parents watch Bright Girl's Success Story with us. ^_^
P0KEY wrote:
Bi's girl wrote:
Dude, when watching Damo, my mom always goes "What? What happened? Huh? What did she say?" :crazy: I agree, it is much more fun watching it with my dad XD

your mom and my mom have that common!! they always talks. I mean if my mom talk about positives stuff then that wouldn't bother me...but she always talks about negatives stuff! like yesterday, i was watching "lovers in Paris", my mom came in my room and started saying that those people in that movie are so ugly!! OMG.. IT'S SO ANNOYING!! I HAVE TO YELL AT HER TO MAKE HER GET OUT OF MY ROOM!! :x

Bi's girl

Post by Bi's girl » Aug 28th, '05, 17:08

Carn wrote:My mom and dad like Damo, although my mom seems mostly confused by it. ^_^; She got my dad hooked on Winter Sonata..she, my sis and my dad were outside watching it. They even stayed up until 1 in the morning for a few days, which is amazing considering my mom usually sleeps at 9. =\ Oh, and my dad watched Lovers in Paris with my mom and liked it! So now my sis and I are going to make my parents watch Bright Girl's Success Story with us. ^_^
P0KEY wrote:
Bi's girl wrote:

your mom and my mom have that common!! they always talks. I mean if my mom talk about positives stuff then that wouldn't bother me...but she always talks about negatives stuff! like yesterday, i was watching "lovers in Paris", my mom came in my room and started saying that those people in that movie are so ugly!! OMG.. IT'S SO ANNOYING!! I HAVE TO YELL AT HER TO MAKE HER GET OUT OF MY ROOM!! :x

nikeg

Post by nikeg » Aug 28th, '05, 18:23

when i was at home if my mom saw one episode that she liked she was hooked and had to watch the rest of the shows with me... ballin like 24/7... sigh... as for my dad he tapes almost all the kbfd dramas for me... recently i got glass slipper complete ode to han river soon and super rookie... getting the next batch soon hehehe... i think its gonna be mr housewife and kim sam soon... hehehe its awesome he doesnt watch any though, but if he heres the theme song hell know which one its from

NiikuraKaoru

Post by NiikuraKaoru » Aug 28th, '05, 18:43

Bi's girl wrote:
P0KEY wrote:

my mom does that too o_o always saying "omg this drama is stupid cuz in real life blahblahblah would happen" o.o i tell her that i like it and if she doesnt she can just not watch .-. then she sits quietly and doesnt say n e thing for about another 10 mins haha. right now im watching Full House, and my mom keeps sayin "wtf is wrong with this guy, he doesnt like her but he's just a jealous ass!" .-. -covers ears- thank god i dont read subbiez with my ears huh >_<

Carn

Post by Carn » Aug 28th, '05, 18:56

P0KEY wrote:aww, you should get a drama for her in a language that she can understand (subbed) and let her think it`s a movie... then she`ll get hooked and then it`ll be your chance to say "told you so" :P

That's like giving crack to someone who's trying to get you off it. XD

Anyway, that's not really mean.. :roll What would be mean is giving her a drama with the wrong subtitles. :lol

Bi's girl: My mom hasn't gotten to that stage yet :pale:

PJB

Post by PJB » Aug 28th, '05, 20:18

If I ever do watch anything with my mom, regardless of what it is, she always talks now and again or asks a question and looks at me for like 20 seconds! And I'm like.. TV is that way you might miss a vital bit! Then next episode she goes "I didn't remember seeing that bit"

rlynxen

Post by rlynxen » Aug 28th, '05, 21:21

No, but my dad likes the chinese-dubbed version kdramas played on KTSF. However, when I'm home, he's always watching a series I've already seen. I sit with him once in a while, but that's it because I can't stand hearing anything dubbed.

rainidy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rainidy » Aug 28th, '05, 22:14

haha, my mom also talks alot while watching dramas. :D She usually talks on the phone while watching a drama and misses half the drama.haha. Her voice would be so loud that I couldn't hear what was going on and have to turn up the volume. :crazy:

PJB

Post by PJB » Aug 29th, '05, 07:27

Oh, I'd never allow that much talking. banned from room! :P

ml_heart

Post by ml_heart » Sep 17th, '05, 13:23

yes my mom is as crazy about Kdramas as I am. She in is love with Bae Yong Joon!!!

busyizzy

Post by busyizzy » Sep 18th, '05, 14:31

My mom's loved K-drama a lot longer than I have. In fact, she's the one who first got me to watch them! She's watched a ton of more things than I have too. xD; Hmmm, I know she was watching A Star In My Heart (별은 내 가슴에) I think it's called, and I was totally hooked, and I watched one or two shows every season after that. xD; My mom would watch like 5-6 shows! xD Crazyness. Every night, she'd come home from work and she'd make dinner, and then we'd all watch K-drama over dinner, then she'd do hjer work while putting on more K-drama, either in the living room or her room.

My dad used to not watch K-drama except for the historical ones, but lately, he's watched a lot of drama including Lawyer, My Name is Kim Sam Soon, and the Returning Singles. I dunno why he's started watching them all of a sudden, but he's gotten more obsessed with watching new episodes than my mom and me! @.@

kc_l_4ever

Post by kc_l_4ever » Sep 18th, '05, 14:49

i got hooked onto korean drama by my mom...as she was the one watching them first. then i started watching way more than her and i kept introducing good korean dramas to her and she would want to watch them episode after episode...now that school has started, she would just watch 1 or 2 episodes during dinner and stuff...we're currently watching dae jang geum...she is crazy about it!!! lol

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Sep 18th, '05, 23:39

busyizzy wrote:My dad used to not watch K-drama except for the historical ones, but lately, he's watched a lot of drama including Lawyer, My Name is Kim Sam Soon, and the Returning Singles. I dunno why he's started watching them all of a sudden, but he's gotten more obsessed with watching new episodes than my mom and me! @.@
:lol That's cute. Seems like more & more dads are getting hooked on K-dramas.

qwertyness

Post by qwertyness » Sep 23rd, '05, 18:26

when i start watching a new series i always ask my mom if she wants to watch it too. it's cos she only watches a kdrama when sees the first episode with me! it's weird LOL but once she starts watching she can go on for like 9 hours non stop! and she won't let me watch the next episodes without her otherwise she'll drag me in front of the tv and make me see those episodes again hahahaha!
PJB wrote:If I ever do watch anything with my mom, regardless of what it is, she always talks now and again or asks a question and looks at me for like 20 seconds! And I'm like.. TV is that way you might miss a vital bit! Then next episode she goes "I didn't remember seeing that bit"
LOL my mom is like that too! she even makes me pause the player so she could ask me her looooong question/s! hahahahah!

Lena83

Post by Lena83 » Dec 10th, '05, 14:11

Okay, this was an older thread, but I was lmao and had to post in it.

I'm a big anime fan, and my family calls me an anime freak. Then I got into my first kdrama, Full House. I watched a few episodes, then started telling my mom about it. Then she wanted to check it out. Since then she's been hooked.

We've watched Full House, Delightful Girl, My Name is Kim Sam Soon, Sorry I Love You, Wonderful Life, The Last Dance Is With Me, All About Eve, and now I got her to watch a jdrama, Hana Yori Dango. I've seen alot more jdrama, but this is her first.

Its funny reading through this thread. My mom is like alot of these mothers. When she starts watching a drama, she's totally addicted. Wanting to watch all the episodes straight. Staying up sometimes till 3-4 am. She doesn't really talk at all during the drama, which is awsome. She starts getting loud though when there is fighting over a girl or guy or a really romantic scene, those almost kiss or accidents. Getting all excited. Its hilarious. I tease her sometimes that I'm not gonna download the rest of the episodes or let her finish watching them. She then threatens me, sometimes it gets scary :/// But its all fun. She's like "You better have all those episodes downloaded" or "You better get busy with that". LOL I'm like "sorry, I can't make the download go any faster".

My dad would never watch drama. First off, he's originally from Mexico. He can read English, just not fast enough for the dramas. And he probably wouldn't get alot of the translation meaning. My mom is white. She probably can read these subs faster than me. Which I read pretty fast myself.

Since we've first watched Full House, she's been in love with Bi. She's almost 47 and she's like "that little cutie, he's sexy". hehehe. She says I watch too much anime, but then she's right with me in these dramas. She says I'll marry an asian guy someday. I say hella yeah, if he looks like some of these goodies :P Well, I didn't exactly say that to her. :wink:

dmaechan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dmaechan » Dec 10th, '05, 14:24

my cousin watches it with her mom.... i wish i could watch 'em with my mom too but she hasn't got the time....too busy with work...but at least i have my lito sis to watch it with^^

mallepa

Post by mallepa » Dec 10th, '05, 14:34

Haha my parents both secretly love them XDD We spent two days watching all 16 eps of Kim Sam Soon XD From Saturday 2pm till like 1 in the morning, and then we all went to bed. When I woke up on Sunday, they were already watching the last few eps without me LOL XDD My dad loves them more than my mom does, and he keeps bothering me and asking me 'which one are we gonna watch next?' and stuff XD

lil_vi3t_cupid

Post by lil_vi3t_cupid » Dec 11th, '05, 02:05

i've only watched 2 with my parents, Autumn in my heart and stairway to heaven, buh thats about it. I usually just burn them for my parents to watch on TV without me. i like sitting in my room and watching it alone ^^

sin

Post by sin » Dec 11th, '05, 02:10

yeah, watching dramas with my mom is great.. we dont talk much and im in college now... but scince ive got an internship back in houston, I live with her once more and we watch drams 24/7! im talkin bout kdramas jdramas and movies galore!

its a great bonding tool... and thanks to all the subbers out there! I dont speak korean, and now that my mom doesnt have to translate for me.. we can watch em together and understand it all.

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Dec 11th, '05, 08:17

I watch with my mum too!! We are both as big an addict as each other!! We both discuss the drama and the characters. And luckily she doesn't talk during the watching!! I hate watching anything with my older brother though because he always picks out silly stuff or when things don't make complete sense or when there is a mistake somewhere he will point out like he made a discovery that no one found but in actual fact everyone noticed as well but we don't want to spoil the drama and so we ignore it because afterall is is a drama and not reality...so lucky he oesn't walk any dramas!! Mum loves watching Song Seong Hun (male) and Choi Ji Woo (female) and I love Lee Byung Hun (male) Lee Young Ae (female)..haha!!

If I can find the dramas in cantonese dub then my older sister will watch with us too but me and mum will watch korean, cantonese or mandarin dub as long as its a good drama doesn't matter what language!!

dramalover

Post by dramalover » Dec 12th, '05, 16:16

LOL, it seems like most of you watch dramas with your mom, as do I. Another thing that is similar is that my mom too is more kdrama crazed then I am and I'm the one who started watching first. I swear she hogs the tv from the time she gets home from work until she goes to sleep (my dad hogs the other tv). I don't even get to watch my primetime tv shows anymore. The only time I can watch tv is late a night, thanks to time zone shifting I am able to sometimes catch my primetime shows (satellite tv).
Why are mom's more kdrama crazed then we are???

Hey "sin" is your signature picture a picture of Toronto? That looks like the CN tower.

aa

Post by aa » Dec 13th, '05, 02:04

:-) It's nice reading about everyone bonding and stuff... bonding with parents is a good thing :thumleft:

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Dec 13th, '05, 02:07

ehehe.. my mom and I first bonded over a k-drama while on vacation in Philippines. We were watching Green Rose, definitely great [except I was disappointed for the rushed ending, or so it seemed].. Now I think I'm going to make her wattch Autumn Fairy Tale with me.. watching something you both like is always a good way to bond :D

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Dec 13th, '05, 02:15

my dad and i is a big fan of chinese drama. we always watched those chinese series together.my dad like the historical/kung fu type while i like the more modern version. my mom understood chinese so sometimes if the series has no subtitle she'll translate for us.it's a fun thing to do whenever i'm home

my mom is a big fan of korean series. everytime there's a new series on tv she said." okay this is my time to watch tv" she like all about eve,hotelier,winter sonata and autumn in my heart.
Last edited by milleu87 on Dec 13th, '05, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.

flipnicity

Post by flipnicity » Dec 13th, '05, 02:15

it all started for my parents with My Sassy Girl... after that they were hooked! buh I first got my parents into dramas while I was watching Meteor Garden... they just sat down with me one day and my mom got so into it that she would sleep at 1-2 in the morning so she could keep watching! X___x since then theyve watched almost every single drama/movie that Ive seen... and they get mad if I watch without them... so now I download dramas not only for myself buh for my parents... not that I mind... its better than them telling me not to watch them! its funny to see how into it they get! =)

Currently watching: A Love to Kill, Hana Yori Dango and Autumn Tale...

gellie_bean

Post by gellie_bean » Dec 13th, '05, 07:07

I remember I started my parents w/ Korean movies... namely, My Sassy Girl, and my dad loved that one.. haha his favorite Korean song is "I believe" lmao :clap: But their first drama experience was with Meteor Garden because it was so popular in the Philippines, so I was extremely determined to get it. We watched MG1&2 & Meteor Rain for 1 week straight and barely left the house... didn't do ANYTHING. It was that bad! :sweat:

But then their first kdrama experience was Full House and my mom didn't like it THAT much, then she watched Winter Sonata and boy, I sure agree with everyone else in here in saying that my mom ABSOLUTELY fell in love with BYJ. She watched Winter Sonata TWICE in like 3 days or something. Absolutely crazy marathon. Then she watched Stairway to Heaven in ONE NIGHT. I was like :shocked: when I saw her at 5am STILL AWAKE!! Crazy! Then when me and my dad finally watched it we were up for all hours watching it until the wee hours of the morning! Haha. Now my dad's all like... "any new movies or drama with Kwon Sang Woo??" XD And whenever we see Choi Ji Woo he'll be like "She's gonna get eye cancer because she's always crying so much" or something along those lines

My parents are the type that NOBODY interrupts during their "dramas." Either that or if they have some important activity that they absolutely CAN'T miss, they'll tape them. My mom's actually seen more kdramas than me, even most of my jdramas! She doesn't like jdoramas as much, but whenever it's kdramas she ALWAYS bugs me for new eps or subs even if they haven't come out yet... so I've sorta resorted to hiding them in my room and locking the door. LOL mean, yeah I know. And my dad watches kdramas on AZN Television all the time and I just HATE IT when he won't stop making commentary! I My mom and I just laugh at him now cuz he gets so into it, all talking to the TV and everything. :P But at least I have people that will SUPPORT my ADDICTION :wub:

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » Dec 13th, '05, 07:14

Saddly my parents don't like to watch anything they don't understand, especially if they have to read the subs. :| But if its with my cousins thats a whole different story we would watch in the computer and when a hot actor comes out we would start screaming and giggling. Then our parents think we gone crazy :lol

kazfz

Post by kazfz » Dec 13th, '05, 07:20

hmmm...i do watch them with my mom ^^....but shes always working so most of the time i watch them alone ....bored :cry:

my dad think korean drama are stupid lol.....after my mom bought lots of vcd lol

tnguyet

Post by tnguyet » Dec 23rd, '05, 05:47

Lol, my mom was the one that introduced me to K-Dramas. I believe it was March, she brought Stairway to Heaven with Kwon Sang Woo and Choi Ji Woo and after that I was hooked. She loved Dae Jang Geum and Lovers In Paris for sure. Hehehe...

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Dec 23rd, '05, 18:24

hmm nope. We watch the shows separately. I give my dramas for my parents/siblings to watch once i'm done with them. I'm the one obsessed with foreign dramas. I'm the one in charge of d/ling japanese and korean dramas.

although, i watched one drama with my dad once (Romance w/ KJW) . it was weird watching a romance with him

Bear-Bear

Post by Bear-Bear » Dec 23rd, '05, 20:17

I do. =D My mom, my brother, and I enjoy watching Chinese-dubbed Korean dramas on TV. When A Tale of Autumn aired, my dad watched it with us.

babo_ck

Post by babo_ck » Dec 23rd, '05, 21:09

yea i watch it with my dad. i hate watchin it with my mom tho cuz she talks too much.

skachild

Post by skachild » Dec 25th, '05, 13:33

im only watch full house and dae jang geum with my parents... the rest of the drama i usually watch it by myself or wit my friends... Dae jang geum will be the most coolest drama i have watch especiallyfor me and my family, we will talk about the story line every time the drama end... so it really make our family relationship more better... :thumright:

n0_rulez

Post by n0_rulez » Dec 25th, '05, 14:58

the only kdrama my family watches is dae jang--geum
as for the rest, im the only one left sitting in the living room.. -.-

kiyami

Post by kiyami » Dec 26th, '05, 05:55

My family's Korean so sometimes I watch it with my parents, but most of the time they've already seen it. --; Heh, they have a habit of spoiling the end for me or discuss the actors when I'm trying to watch it.

Sometimes I watch jdrama with my mom, but ^^;; she spends a lot of time either asking me about what's happening or comparing Korea with Japan (School, everyday life, etc.)

devotee

Post by devotee » Jan 4th, '06, 13:33

My mom insists on me not watching anything before her, so we watch it together (its the same with Anime)....Usually I back it up, and then during breaks we sit and veg out :D Well, I try to veg out, but my mother always has other things for me to do :blink once I'm home..

The funny thing is, that once we've started a series though, Chances are we'll finish it in that night!

She's a huge fan of Kim Sung-soo (from watching full house), she dislikes Bi's new drama... and I think we watch more Korean movies then series....