i swear they look alike

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
ackirom

i swear they look alike

Post by ackirom » Jun 1st, '12, 13:01

Has anybody else ever watched a drama thinking the actor/actress was someone else??

OK. So, like, OMG, currently watching The History of the Salaryman right now. Awesome show btw, everyone should watch it. One of the main characters has this awesome red hair, and it reminded me of another main character with red hair. It wuz from the drama, Take Care of the Young Lady, with Yoon Eun Hye. So then I remembered another drama she was in... a terrible one. One where she played this big clunky string instrument, and she attended some arts school, and she had a love/hate relationship w/some other dude, who played guitar. I couldn't remember the name of that drama, so I looked up Yoon Eun Hye in the wiki, to see the list of the dramas she was in. Surprisingly, it wasn't listed! :O

So then I was like, no way! I definitely saw that drama! So then I tried to search for the guy, but didn't know his name. I know I definitely saw him in a real korean band with something "blue" in their name. Lately, I don't download dramas anymore, I just stream them, from dramafever. I'm more impatient now so =P Anyway, because I signed up for an account there, I was able to trace the history of the shows I watched, including the reviews of the shows I did. Lo and behold, the drama's name? Heartstrings!!! So then I scrolled at the list of actors, and I couldn't find Yoon Eun Hye! I'm like, wut the... it's some other chick called Park Shin Hye... :scratch:

I know I saw that name while watching the drama thinking this is the same girl from Coffee Prince. The 'Hye' part of the name must have confused me. But I was more shocked, that even after watching the entire Heartstrings, I kept thinking it was her! I thought, "Wow! How dedicated she must be to have gained weight to play this role!"

Sadly, it is only now, as of this writing that I realize, they are completely two different people. :glare:

So now I'm thinking. Am I alone in this? Am I the only other person who has ever had this happen to? I mean, jeebus, it's been so long since I watched Take Care of the Young Lady and Heartstrings... and I only realized they were two different people after watching a drama that has no relation wutsoever with the two actresses :-(

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 1st, '12, 13:05

ackirom wrote:Has anybody else ever watched a drama thinking the actor/actress was someone else??
No.
8)

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Jun 1st, '12, 13:26

I confounded at the first look Matsumoto Jun and Mizushima Hiro in Tokyo Dogs, but only for a few seconds :lol I think they could be brothers :P

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jun 1st, '12, 14:13

That's funny, the same things happened to me with the two actresses (not with Jung Ryu Won though) but that was when I first started watching kdramas, I watched first "Coffee Prince" and then "You're beautiful" in the same period ,I thought they were the same actress!I guess I wasn't familiar with asian faces!

ackirom

Post by ackirom » Jun 2nd, '12, 17:05

Sham26 wrote:That's funny, the same things happened to me with the two actresses (not with Jung Ryu Won though) but that was when I first started watching kdramas, I watched first "Coffee Prince" and then "You're beautiful" in the same period ,I thought they were the same actress!I guess I wasn't familiar with asian faces!
Those are exactly the two actresses I was talking about. Yoon Eun Hye (Coffee Prince) and Park Shin Hye (Heartstrings, You're Beautiful). LoLz, I never confused Jung Ryu Won w/anybody. The sad thing is, I didn't even realize this until months after I had watched both dramas :doh: The realization was just such a shock to me that I had to, like, i dunno, share it :lol

xk

Post by xk » Jul 2nd, '12, 02:47

^ To me both actresses looked quite different. Never thought they two look alike. Also their voice is very different too.

The closest ones I have encountered seem to be the following actresses:

Han Eun Jung - http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Han_Eun_Jung

Ha Ji Won - http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Ha_Ji_Won

One of my family members was watching a movie Haeundae (2009) and thought the actress was Han Eun Jung when it's actually Ha Ji Won. I proved her wrong.... :D

To me Ha Ji Won is prettier.... She was the main actress in the series "Hwang Jini" (2006). She looked absolutely gorgeous in that drama wow.

I learned about Han Eun Jung when I watched the drama "Seoul 1945" which was a good drama. But I never found her to be attractive... LOL :cheers:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 23rd, '12, 23:38

I forget the names of most actresses, but i confuse them just on very few occasions...well one time i had this one pic(here in forum) with Lee Da Hee, but i thought it was Han Hye Jin(well i had her in mind at least). The funny thing is, that it was just one picture and LDH had this faceexpression, which reminded me of HHJ, although the appereance of these two has nothing in common.

The other two actresses i confuse every time till this very day are
Hyun Young: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Hyun_Young
and
Yoo Seo Jin: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Yoo_Seo_Jin

I don't know why, but i confuse them every single time.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 24th, '12, 07:47

As of now I have not confused two different actors. Mostly I don't pay much attention to the very young and very plastic ladies. I like the slightly old and quite old ones who have some acting experiance under their belt.

The thing that gets me at times is seeing an actor in a drama and I know I know them. I recognize their faces but somehow their features look slightly different. I can never bring them to mind sometimes for quite a while in an episode. I know the face but something is different. Obviously they are older or the hair is different or even a mustache is added. Frustrates me but eventually the light goes on and then I am satisfied and pleased to see an old friend.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jul 24th, '12, 08:45

Thats the problem with especially korean dramas. The women are casted as mainleads in their 20s and at that point most of them don't have much experience, to be good. As soon as they hit 30, they are mostly cast for some ahjuma or old virgin roles. I don't know, why the koreans do this. I mean women begin to look like women(and not girls) around 30+-3-5 years. You just have to look at their beauty contests. Ms. Koreas were never over 22. And they send these 18-22 yo to the Ms World or universe contest, where 9 out of 10 winners are 25+.

MCGar

Post by MCGar » Sep 4th, '12, 20:52

I'm very new to Asian dramas and when I convinced my friend to watch You're Beautiful with me I was very hesitant to exclaim that the lead actress and supporting actor looked soooo much like the leads in Heartstrings.
I had to wiki them to be sure. Afterwards, I was very relieved that I wasn't stereotyping Asian features.
To be fair though, at the beginning of You're Beautiful the actors looked different then they did near the middle episodes. I'm not sure if it was styling or makeup. Also the lead actress looked alot younger than in Heartstrings which I had seen first.