History of Kpop

Discuss the Korean music industry.
mukundala

History of Kpop

Post by mukundala » Mar 15th, '15, 03:03

I've recently started a blog in which I will be showcasing the best content of Asian Media - http://subsplease.com/. As a starter I've written a brief history of Kpop highlighting the key artists and their songs that set the trends.

http://subsplease.com/2015/03/kpop-history/

Please read it when you find the time and let me know what you think. It would be great if any corrections or additions are suggested as it will help me improve the article.

kahuna808

Re: History of Kpop

Post by kahuna808 » Mar 15th, '15, 08:58

Not sure when you started watching K-pop but you miss mentioning a lot of K-pop groups from back in the day.
Yes you could not mention S.E.S. (Sea, Eugene, Shoo) without Fin.K.L.(Fine Killing Liberty). But Fin.K.L. was more than just Lee Hyori. Yes she went on to have a great solo career. But I would not even consider her the lead singer of that group. How about some of these other girl & boy groups. Like Diva, R.ef (Rave Effect), Uptown, Swi-T (Songs Will Tell), Baby V.O.X. (Voices Of eXpression), Sechkies & H.O.T. (High Five of Teenagers) (another 2 groups that you could not mention with out the other one), N.R.G. (New Radiancy Group, Roo'Ra, G.O.D., Turbo, Clon, Sechkies, 1TYM, S#arp, Shinhwa (still going strong), Jinusean, Young Turks Club, Koyote, Jewelery (old school members), & who can not forget when it comes to summer hit songs & the group Cool (my favorite). When I think of the Madonna of Korea, I think of Uhm Jung Hwa.

mukundala

Post by mukundala » Mar 16th, '15, 05:10

Hey. Thanks for the reply. Your list ha a lot of bands I have never even heard of till now. This calls for more research :P

I started watching Korean variety shows from 2009 and that's how I got exposed to Kpop. Not exactly a fan of the music given that I'm more inclined towards hard rock and metal, but I like how Kpop has evolved over the years and how significant it is part of Asian Media currently. Having worked in the TV industry for a long time I'm interested in the business aspect of this genre. That's why if you notice the article focuses a lot on the bands/artists who managed to become popular in countries other than Korea and also who set the trends for future artists.

Some of the bands in your list (H.O.T for example) should have definitely featured in the article but I've missed out because of incomplete research. I'm planning to post a continuation of that article with the bands I've missed out and special mentions of other famous bands. Will wait for more feedback from readers before I post.

Thanks again for your feedback :D

kahuna808

Post by kahuna808 » Mar 16th, '15, 07:53

Mukundala, over at allkpop.com do a search for "Way Back Wednesday". Lots of info in those articles. Really brought back some memories for me.