Question - Why address TVB network specifically?

Hong Kong, Taiwanese and Mainland China entertainments goes here.
groink

Question - Why address TVB network specifically?

Post by groink » Jul 4th, '06, 00:02

Newbie question in progress...

I've noticed through the years that when people asks for dramas, they specifically ask for TVB dramas. Reading around, it appears that TVB is a Hong Kong television network.

So my curiosity is kicking in... Asking for TVB dramas to me is like asking for dramas from a specific Japanese TV network like TBS, Fuji TV, etc. With that, why do people ask specificaly for TVB dramas rather than ask something more generalized like Hong Kong dramas?

--- groink
Last edited by groink on Jul 4th, '06, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.

~sea~

Post by ~sea~ » Jul 4th, '06, 00:13

eh..I think TVB is a Hong Kong based company which shows a lot of dramas from Hong Kong. They have a lot of stars whom are really popular that sign contracts with them and they produce many dramas each year. Other than TVB, there are other companies such as ATV etc. I guess that's why some people will ask specifically for TVB dramas. (personally I find TVB have a much higher quality dramas which include plot and casts, than ATV so which is why I would request TVB myself)

dorkee

Post by dorkee » Jul 4th, '06, 00:24

TVB is mostly a Hong Kong series based company.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVB
They do have other branches in mainland China, etc.. but most people will know TVB for Hong Kong series.

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Jul 4th, '06, 00:30

:lol Hmm, I never really thought about it before, but I guess ~sea~ is right. When you say TVB you're looking for a particular standard. Besides even if you were trying to by one them on YesAsia you have to look under the TVB section.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 4th, '06, 01:18

Corrected my initial post. Thanks!

I'm totally unfamiliar with the Chinese/HK/etc. genre of dramas. Seeing TVB is overwhelmingly the favorite, are there specific reasons why this is so? Do the artists sign contracts directly with TVB? Or, does TVB work directly with the talent agencies (like the Japanese)? Are the screenwriters also on contract with TVB? And, is there any signs of TVB applying some form of pressure within the industry? I would think all the TV networks would be on an even playing field - considering based on earlier posts there are only two TV networks out there. Curious to learn with only two TV networks, why TVB is so different?

--- groink

~sea~

Post by ~sea~ » Jul 4th, '06, 02:11

Hmm..hard to say why it's my favorite. I suppose it's probably because I've only watched their dramas for years. I don't live in HK myself, but I do get a bit of news about their media. I know TVB puts a lot into promoting their new series, and the stars that keep their contract with TVB will be keep being promoted, so you'll often see them in the news, out on events and stuff. Not to familiar on how they decide who to promote or where they get the person in the first place though. TVB has been HK's oldest television broadcasting compaines (so I've been told) so I guess they do have a certain status in the television world.

Well from what I know, ATV pays their stars more, but they don't promote as much as TVB. You're more likely to see TVB stars out there. Which is why many new stars start off with a contract with TVB but once they're more well known they might move out and do movies, advertisment, or go off to ATV for more cash. (Most of the time though, once the star moves out of TVB I almost never hear about them anymore) I don't know much about screenwriters, I find that in TVB dramas they have better plot than ATV dramas and more meaningful dialogue. I admit TVB does occaisionally have their silly dramas where you ask wth is going on and who the heck wrote that **** but they have a better standard in general.

Well that's me and my limited knowledge and understanding of tvb. I'm not so familiar with any other broadcasting companies so in my mind it's TVB and ATV.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Jul 4th, '06, 04:12

@groink, TVB is the most popular drama televion broadcasting network in Hong Kong. A lot of the HK stars have to "graduate" from TVB school of acting before becoming a lead in a drama. However, another way for a lot of the female stars to sign a contract with TVB is through the Miss Hong Kong & Miss Chinese International pagaents. A lot if not all of the TVB celebrities are actors/actresses as well as singers.

There are a lot of HK celebrities from America, Canada, and even Tahiti (namely Ella Kwoon) who have entered the pagaents and ended up with singing or acting careers. In all TVB dramas, the same supporting actresses/actors, extras are used over and over again so it's not surprising when you see a familiar face that you can't quite remember. :lol

Another HK based television broadcasting network is ATV. However, it isn't as popular because the actors & actresses aren't as "red" (hong) which means they aren't as widely known. From what my parents told me, those who signed with ATV earn more money and they can act better which is a shame because I really think a lot of the newcomers' acting (with TVB) is really overrated. There's a lot of room for improvement but I find it ridiculous that in some dramas, they start off with leading roles whereas the veterans are left with the supporting roles.

I think the reason for being so is because they attract the teeny-bopper viewers which in turns give the dramas higher ratings than ATV dramas. I noticed that lately, a few better known TVB contractees are switching over to ATV (namely Nicholas Cheung, Esther Kwan, & Sunny Chan) because of the higher salary.

Groink, a few TVB dramas I can recommend to you is the classic "The Return of the Condor Heroes 1983" starring Andy Lau.

another would be "Shang Hai Tan (Shang Hai Bund/Beach) 1985" starring Chow Yun-Fat.

I watched and rewatched them with my parents every two years or so.

for the series from the late 90's and more recent dramas, I recommend:
War & Beauty (2004)
Where the Legend Begins (2002)
Untraceable Evidence I & II (1998 & 1999)
Secret of the Heart (1998)
Burning Flame I & II (2000 ?? & 2002)
Healing Hands I - III (1998, 2001, 2005)
Detective Investigation Files I - IV (1995, 1995, 1997, 2000)
Armed Reaction I - IV (1997, 1999, 2001, 2004)
Justice Sung I & II (?? & 1999)
Lethal Weapons of Love & Passion (2005)
Country Spirit (2002)
Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre (2000)
Witness to a Prosecution I - III (1999, 2002, 2005)
Triumph to the Skies (2003)
Plain Love (1994)
The Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain (1999)
Dark Tales (1996 & 1997 i think)
Return of the Cuckoo (2000)
Mystery Files (1997)
Journey to the West I & II (1996 & 1997 ??)
At the Threshold of an Era (1999, 2000)
Golden Faith (2002)
Kindred Spirit (TVB's longest lasting drama....spanning from 1995 - 2000)
File of Justice I - V (1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997)
War of the Genders (2000)

Although TVB is widely popular with the Cantonese speaking audience, I noticed that we have virtually no subs for these series here at D-Addicts (well aside from Jem's mandarin-dubbed captures that is) meanwhile we have plenty of Taiwanese dramas subbed. :( I can help with TVB subs (if anyone is interested) but the "HK lingo" is sometimes hard to translate into English. :scratch:

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Jul 4th, '06, 14:32

There are a variety of opinions on which decade/s that TVB dramas were at its best in terms of acting, plot, music and characterizations. Personally, I preferred the TVB series back in the 80's to late 90's - even for Martial Arts series (despite the lack of fancier costumes and beautiful set designs).

80's TVB series I really enjoyed:

Police Cadet I and II (Tony Leung from Hero, Chungking Express and In the Mood for Love) had his early starring roles in this series.
The Feud Between Two Brothers - Sibling rivalry is a horrible thing.
The Price of Growing Up - the finiest acting ever in a modern series - especially the ending
Turbulent Decade (imagine what Tantei Kanzoku could be if it was longer and spanned over 10 years)

90's TVB Series:

The Final Verdict (I was trying to sub this but it got too difficult for one person) - the quote "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" describes the plot and the characters of this series....
Conscience - the abusive conflict between a young woman and her mother
The Green Hope - I think this was available by Jem in mandarin. By far one of my favourites - it's about two brothers in which one has schizophrenia and how they learn to support each other and overcoming obstacles. I was crying a lot when I first watched this one.
The Greed of Man - the stockmarket, greed, money, and a crazy guy...lol...

Some of the international HK film stars like Chow Yun Fat, Tony Leung, Maggie Cheung, Stephen Chow (Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle) etc. used to star in TVB dramas. So the talent (back then at least) ran deep. I highly recommend as a newbie and you want to check out these actors' early works - the series they starred in would be a good starting place. The problem is because they're old series - there are no english subs...which is too bad...I believe some of the TVB series now are being released with english subtitles.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Jul 4th, '06, 18:16

^I agree....The Green Hope was good....I think it was the only TVB series that Stephen Fung co-starred in alongside Bowie Lam. It was really sad and touching to see how much Bowie had sacrificed for Stephen (being the one who had schizophrenia).

And "The Greed of Man" was one of those first TVB series that made controversial news in HK. Cheng Siu-Chow (Adam Cheng) did an incredible job portraying Ding Hai........I hated his character but I was in awe at the anger he was able to get out of me. I'm glad Mr. Cheng has renewed his contract with TVB and I quite like his father figures in his newer series. As a child, I remember him as the husband of "Fai Fai" (Lydia Shum) and the host of the TVB award shows.

fuddleduddle

Post by fuddleduddle » Jul 4th, '06, 18:29

personally i feel that most TVB actors/actresses are better than ATV's. especially those who are experienced. TVB tends to immediately push new people into their dramas(miss HK, singers etc.). but keep in mind, there are over 3000 employees in TVB and only about 800 in ATV. so you get quite a mixture of people in every drama, and a mixture of casts.

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Jul 22nd, '06, 21:25

lilswtangel wrote: And "The Greed of Man" was one of those first TVB series that made controversial news in HK. Cheng Siu-Chow (Adam Cheng) did an incredible job portraying Ding Hai........I hated his character but I was in awe at the anger he was able to get out of me. I'm glad Mr. Cheng has renewed his contract with TVB and I quite like his father figures in his newer series. As a child, I remember him as the husband of "Fai Fai" (Lydia Shum) and the host of the TVB award shows.

I've never hated a character that much before - yet he was so pathetic at the same time that I had to feel sorry for him. Though I really really hated his sons a lot more. They were like the devil's children lol. Besides the Price of Growing Up, this series had one of the most memorable endings....

Usually I find TVB series' endings can be a let down - for example Point of No Return, To Catch the Uncatchable, etc....

chocomocha

Post by chocomocha » Jul 24th, '06, 09:53

TVB and ATV r like the main drama netwrk in HK .. just say the director in tvb makes the drama more entertaining! ..This is my own opinion thru watching ATV and TVB dramas for many yrs.. I always seem to perfer watching TVB... and i would relise there's a differnce between ATV and TVB drama! .. just by watching 1 episode.. tells alot!

Its like a differnece between China and HK dramas! .. You can say its the director that makes the drama what it is!

..Anywayz, I perfer TVB becoz the drama is easy to follow, straightforward and lively! ATV recently have produce some hit dramas.. but the style of the drama is still differnt! Just say if ATV has a differnt director.. mayb things mite change! ..

Just say TVB mite go all the way to produce a drama, like travel to a foriegn country.. But i havent seen ATV do that yet!

TVB have been around for a long time.. i dnt think they work with talent agencies from japan.. they are able to produce there own talent! .. :-) and plus, the style of the drama is differnt .. korean, japanease, china, taiwan and hk have differnt drama style.. if they were working with talent agencies .. i'm sure the drama style would be similar if you get what i mean.. but i dnt see any differnce with their style of acting since yrss ago! ..
any signs of TVB applying some form of pressure within the industry?
They are a big successful company.. not sure about that.. mayb!

since ATV and TVB have differnt style of filming.. only if you seen a range of their dramas that you can relise the difference! .. But i think the drama sounds better in chinese than translated in english! .. since the drama was aimed for chinese ppl to watch i dnt think they care much about translating.. like for example, the HK Movies english translation is really bad.. it dosnt match with what the actors/actress actually said!

groink

Post by groink » Jul 24th, '06, 18:13

Thanks for the information, guys!!! Very VERY interesting. I'm actually going to start watching my very first Chinese drama - Return of the Condor Heroes 2006. I've already downloaded the first 33 episode, so I'll be watching this series along with Komyo ga Tsuji.

--- groink

sxhugsnkissesxs

Post by sxhugsnkissesxs » Jul 24th, '06, 21:54

i loooooovvvvveeeeeeeeee TVB. i can never stop watching it!