Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

YESASIA and English subtitled Chinese series! Please read!

Hong Kong, Taiwanese and Mainland China entertainments goes here.

Should YESASIA release Chinese series w/ English subtitles?

YES
97%
NO
3%

Total votes: 173

Sangwoo-oppa

YESASIA and English subtitled Chinese series! Please read!

Post by Sangwoo-oppa » Feb 19th, '05, 14:20

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know everyone's opinion about YESASIA releasing Chinese series with English subtitles. YESASIA is contemplating this idea and I think that if there is a consensus that Chinese series with English subtitles will SELL very well, then this might convince them to release. Many Korean dramas already have been English subbed beautifully by YESASIA and for that, I'm so grateful! But there are many Taiwanese and TVB series that I would love to have subtitled. I am Chinese but my knowlege of the language is limited. I would love to fully understand what it is that I'm watching. Not only will having series English subbed can help me, but it can also benefit those who love Chinese series who do not understand the language.

Subtitling a series makes it more accessible to the public. Personally, I would love to have MARS, DETECTIVE INVESTIGATION FILES (TVB), METEOR GARDEN (the released DVDs of this series has horrid subtitling by another company) subtitled and I would buy these series in a heartbeat. There are many, many more AWESOME Chinese series that deserve to be subtitled because they are cult hits and because fans like us would love to see that happen.

PLEASE put your opinion below whether or not it would be a good idea for YESASIA to release Chinese series with English subtitles. Or better yet, if you really want to make this happen like I do, you can e-mail the very kind Tom Larsen at tom@yesasia.com to convince him to release English subtitled Chinese series.

Can this actually HAPPEN? Yes, I believe that it can! Look at how many Korean dramas are released with English subs. The same can happen for Chinese series as long as we petition and request for it. YESASIA is already flirting with this idea, so why not convince them that they are going to benefit from this movement (as will us fans, who want to see our series subtitled) :)

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME and PLEASE leave a comment in SUPPORT of YESASIA releasing English subtitled Chinese series.

:wub:

LastDragon

Post by LastDragon » Feb 19th, '05, 15:09

I would love to see that happen.
I'm in the same boat as you Sangwoo-oppa, i'm chinese too and i understant most of the Cantonese but Mandarine is what i do not know. Even when it is in cantonese i still have some trouble. It would be great is YESASIA added english subs to Chinese series!

I think many ppl would agree with this, its just who would speak up and tell them. :-)

cherryflavored_Keita

Post by cherryflavored_Keita » Feb 19th, '05, 15:09

Honestly, I would killl to see YesAsia release Chinese series with English subs!! (okay, that was a highly figurative statement, but you get the picture) Here I was thinking "Gosh how I wish YesAsia would do the same for MARS that they did for those Korean series, but I probably shouldn't hold my breath..." But look!! I see this! This is really, really good news.

Personally, I think that selling the Meteor Garden series in English would make a lot of money for them, because EVERYBODY knows of it, and a lot of people will buy it if it is released in an easy-access way like this. I myself have wanted to see the series, but I can't, because the series is rarely seeded and the real DVDs are at a sky-high price in a language I can't understand!

And MARS..... oh boy would I love to see that on DVD. I'm completely obsessed with the show right now, it's so good! Hopefully this one will be released as well! And as long as we're dropping names, I'd love to see Lavender as well. I'm currently enjoying it as Chinese SoM!!

I loved the Korean series releases, because it's economical for me and also in English (I know about five sentences in Korean.....) Currently I'm saving up to buy Attic Cat and Love Letter, actually! Hopefully in the future they will release I'm Sorry I Love You, beacuse I would do ANYTHING to get that series on English DVD (not being figurative there!!)

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Feb 19th, '05, 15:34

I'm not big on Chinese language series, but there are a couple I'd like to see like The Rose and 100% Senorita :-) So I voted yes. I think Japanese series are the main ones they can't pull off, so if they can do Chinese, then they should really consider it. I think there would be a great market for them without Engrishy subs.

Carn

Post by Carn » Feb 19th, '05, 15:49

neonkinpatsu wrote:I think Japanese series are the main ones they can't pull off, so if they can do Chinese, then they should really consider it. I think there would be a great market for them without Engrishy subs.
Just curious, why do you say that? ^_^ Is it a lack of demand for Japanese dramas subtitled in English?

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Feb 19th, '05, 15:55

Carn wrote:
neonkinpatsu wrote:I think Japanese series are the main ones they can't pull off, so if they can do Chinese, then they should really consider it. I think there would be a great market for them without Engrishy subs.
Just curious, why do you say that? ^_^ Is it a lack of demand for Japanese dramas subtitled in English?
Someone explained it pretty well in the Ebay sellers thread :-) I seriously don't think it'll ever happen for Japanese series.

lolipss
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by lolipss » Feb 19th, '05, 16:33

neonkinpatsu wrote:
Carn wrote:
Someone explained it pretty well in the Ebay sellers thread :-) I seriously don't think it'll ever happen for Japanese series.
that sux :glare: YESASIA should really start doing e-subs for jdrama :P they would attract a lot of customer from it. iam pretty sure of it :P

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Feb 19th, '05, 17:23

I personally would love to see any and all asian dramas subtitled to English so that we could finally get them all.

Why in heavens name they would not consider translating Japanese series is beyond me considering ho wmany Japanese are going to the US and UK.

The interest should be made mutual somehow.

Anyhow... thats just my cultural desires to see more dramas spread, instead of being bogged down by the usual and everyday english speaking stuff I guess.

clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer

Post by clouds421 » Feb 20th, '05, 06:49

I actually bugged them a couple of times about The Rose... :P

Warner Bros HK has released Meteor Garden and Tomorrow on DVD w/ English subs for quite a while already--and I thought Tomorrow's subs were pretty good though I haven't seen MG. I asked them (Warner) about it, too, but apparently they have no plans for future projects, which I think is such a shame, 'cause they did such a pretty good job.

kargeo

YES YES Yes yes...

Post by kargeo » Feb 20th, '05, 07:34

I vote yes!!

Thanks for bring this up... I actually have been thinking about it for whole two weeks (can't sleep well).

Why? Even I can't on Japanese or most Korean, at lease I could do the Cantonese (but I'm not good on Mandarin...). Anyway, I’m actually interested to sub it (my first one might be “Heart of Fencing”? but can’t find a raw video yet), However, I'm the type of person give up very easily especial half way, so I was thinking that maybe I could do some episodes and let others do some too, even it’s quick short….

(since the statistic show there are many Chinese here, and hopefully and least half of them might be like me. Personally, I think they should really help if they did download the K/Jdrama. I also understand time is $$, maybe half or one full eps only? There are many Korean series dubbed in Mandarin or with Chinese subtitle they should be able to help, and so for Japanese. Later just let the "professional" improve it? For those who don't understand Chinese might should also considered in helping doing the timing or grammar check)... not sure if my idea is too naive or not??

However, I also found out some discussion about "eBay seller" on Japanese series. Then I come up with idea that for those who subbed the drama series, they should also considered giving their permission of their translation to Yesasia [YA] or even TAISENG [TS] for free or whatever (well since the translator is "volunteer" and seem not trying to earn an income out of it?)... .

(Most of you should've heard about TS , since I also found TS did some eng drama too - mini version, they have the right on many Asian series and movie, I think they also do English translation on some movie - the dubbed version)…

Then only Y or T has the copyright (of course it's the case when they have the $$ to buy them first) that way there should not have any eBay seller dare to sell illegally.

If the companies took our translation, hopefully they would also make correction before publishing. Then they should also considered giving us discount if we bought from them.... because personally I like to collect original DVD.

“Tai Seng's two-disc Special Edition DVD of The Master Swordsman is presented in a fat keep case with attractive artwork. The package back has the label's helpful guides to language tracks, audio choices (DD 5.1 and DTS original Mandarin, DD 5.1 Cantonese and DD 5.1 English) and special features. Hong Kong cinema expert and author Ric Meyers and a Tai Seng marketing man provide a commentary with plenty of background for all the fans (I think they say that this is a television version of what was also a movie). There are trailers (promos, really) and Cast interviews. The show is 200 minutes long.”

Taiwan star Jimmy Lin (Lam) and Singapore star Christopher Lee’s ancient Wu-Xia novel (similar to the movie by Andy Lau “The Dual”) drama series “The Master Swordman” (Lu Xiao Feng: Fight/War Before and After ~ director by Daniel Lee of Jet Li’s Black Mask) was released with subtitled in English by Taiseng? That’s what I really want for it to have Cantonese, Mandarin and English (introduction/commentary/interview) with English subtitle.

Original 20 episodes edited and condense/cut in to short version mini series; it’s interested that they cut anything boring/unnecessary part, just like the “movie” version of Endless Love. You may pm me for the soft sub if you like, but I won’t be able to upload the video, find it yourself to see if any or buy it since it’s not that expensive… Please note Yesasia seem not having it, but you may check it @
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 66-1825508 ~ therefore I think we should also “encourage” TS for it on http://taisengentertainment.com/ ?

Just find the part II of The Swordman LXF in Mandarin with English subtitle @ http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=

Starring by Peter Ho of Starry Starry Night, an another new TV drama version "Hidden Tiger, Crouching Dragon" 20eps cut into 4eps being subbed by TS @ http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/p ... s/did-106/ and comments can be find in the TV version @http://us.yesasia.com/en/prdTransfer.as ... 001809012/

If Y or T want to do it only by their own without getting any translation from here, it’s not bad either, I still will vote for YES. Good luck to them and good luck to all of us - the d-addicts.
Last edited by kargeo on Feb 23rd, '05, 06:54, edited 6 times in total.

cococrust
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by cococrust » Feb 20th, '05, 07:49

I voted yes, not because I would really buy a eng-subbed Chinese series. But I would like it to be subbed because I know of people who express big interest in Chinese series, but couldn't plunge into it because of the language barrier.

I am happy if more and more people embrace Chinese series, just like Kdrama or Jdoramas.

:unsure: :roll
coco

Sangwoo-oppa

Post by Sangwoo-oppa » Feb 20th, '05, 15:52

Thanks so much everyone for supporting YESASIA and Chinese subtitled series. I really feel so relieved that so many of you feel the same way as I do. English subtitles will only benefit all of us because it makes language barriers disappear. I'm going to give Tom Larsen the link to this view this poll and hopefully, by reading our comments, he can consider subtitling Chinese serials. There certainly is a market out there, considering how many Chinese folks there are all over the world. There are many, like myself and Last Dragon, who do not fully grasp onto the language, and there are others who do not understand it at all. I just think that subtitling Chinese series is such an amazing idea!

Cherryflavored_Keitam, I would KILL for an English subtitled original DVD of MARS, too. I would honestly pay a ludicrous price for it. I'm contemplating buying the fab-subbed version of it via EBAY, but it is not the original version because the seller has ripped it off of the VCDs. I'm kind of a quality-freak, so I'm just hanging onto a small shred of hope that YESASIA will heed all of our pleas and launch a Subtitling Project for Chinese series. They did it so wonderfully for Korean dramas. It would be so amazing if they did the same for Chinese dramas.

Kargeo, I really enjoyed your post about subtitling from Taiseng and YESASIA. I really love your idea about fansubbers volunteering or offering either company to rights for their subtitles. That would definitely help cut down the cost of the DVDs and I'm sure that would make life so much better for both parties.

Clouds421, I'm glad that the subtitled version of "Tomorrow" is better than "Meteor Garden." Gah, "Meteor Garden" was simply atrocious. I don't know who Warner hired for translation, but the grammar and spelling mistakes were unforgivable. They messed up really simple phrases such as "I love you" (they spelled it "I lov you") and gender meanings were messed up ("she" was sometimes referred to as "he"). Thank goodness I didn't buy this horrible "Meteor Garden" DVD but my friend owned it and I borrowed it off of her, intending to buy it if it was good. Good thing I viewed it first before forking over the dough, because "Meteor Garden" bombed in subtitling.

THANKS so much again everyone :wub: for putting your two cents about this issue. I'm crossing my fingers that YESASIA or any other company that is willing to subtitle Chinese series can launch this project off the ground. My dream would come true if that happened and I believe that it really can.

In Kargeo's words, GOOD LUCK TO US!!!

Sangwoo-oppa

Post by Sangwoo-oppa » Feb 20th, '05, 16:01

Just a quick rant to Cherryflavored_Keita :P

I own LOVE LETTER, the K-drama from YESASIA. Subtitling is impeccable and sound/picture quality is gorgeous. However, I only enjoyed the first half of the series. I thought the second half was not nearly as compelling or cohesive. But that's just my humble opinion. I don't regret buying this series since it was so beautifully translated but the plot itself loses steam after the second half. You can PM me if you want to know what it is that I didn't like about the second half :roll but overall, LOVE LETTER was a great buy at a decent price.

Talking about saving up money for goodies, I'm currently eyeing ATTIC CAT, too. And I can't wait till YESASIA released STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN with subtitles!

Oh and I completely agree with you hands down about METEOR GARDEN being subtitled. It is by FAR one of the most popular Chinese series EVER with a fanbase that is phenomenal. Some of my Caucasian friends who have never seen Chinese series have heard of METEOR GARDEN through the Internet grapevine. That's how popular it is. MARS, also, has a huge cult following, but since it was just released in June 2004, it is not as famous as METEOR GARDEN. But I know that this fan base will grow because I find MARS ten times better than METEOR GARDEN in terms of acting, plot and addictiveness *grins* Gah, I'm such a MARS fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:

guess1

Post by guess1 » Feb 20th, '05, 21:32

It's like you read my mind. I just recently started watching chinese drama and i wish they came in english subs. I saw that Meteor Garden DVD had english subs and wanted it but it's out of stock. I also asked my parents who went to Taiwan for vacation to get me it but they didn't have it on DVD. I really want to get Meteor Garden and Mars on DVD with english subs because the quality is better and I don't know chinese.
Plus it's so hard to get the official DVDs in Toronto cause they ones sold here are a little questionable. I was at a chinese video store looking for the DVD set of Meteor Garden and I found it but the box was open and they wanted to sell it to me.

ericf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ericf » Feb 20th, '05, 22:11

I voted yes but I con't care either way. I don't really want to watch Chinese dramas. I want Japanese dramas with english subtitles. If Yesasia can't see that there is a demand for Japanese dramas, and not at all as much interest in the Korean drama series they are looking all over for, then they are blind.

I don't get the way they keep announcing Korean drama series. I wrote to them asking why not put out some popular Japanese seires with english subtitles instead. I didn't get an answer.

I don't believe there is a problem with the Japanese not wanting their series licnesed outside of Japan. I think it might be licensing costs or something else that makes it a problem. Yesasia aren't explaining why they don't listen to people's wishes about this. That makes them look bad to me.

I may some day buy a Korean drama but as of now I have only seen 1 of those that might be worth buying (Full House). Most Korean dramas seem to be unfocused and boring. Sorry if I upset people when saying this. I simply love Japanese dramas.

ericf

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Feb 20th, '05, 22:40

ericf wrote:I voted yes but I con't care either way. I don't really want to watch Chinese dramas. I want Japanese dramas with english subtitles. If Yesasia can't see that there is a demand for Japanese dramas, and not at all as much interest in the Korean drama series they are looking all over for, then they are blind.

I don't get the way they keep announcing Korean drama series. I wrote to them asking why not put out some popular Japanese seires with english subtitles instead. I didn't get an answer.

I don't believe there is a problem with the Japanese not wanting their series licnesed outside of Japan. I think it might be licensing costs or something else that makes it a problem. Yesasia aren't explaining why they don't listen to people's wishes about this. That makes them look bad to me.

I may some day buy a Korean drama but as of now I have only seen 1 of those that might be worth buying (Full House). Most Korean dramas seem to be unfocused and boring. Sorry if I upset people when saying this. I simply love Japanese dramas.

ericf
I wouldn't jump to blame Yesasia. The problem for Japanese dramas with English subs on DVD is not necessarily the proposed demand although there may or may not be enough of one. It is more likely cost AND obtaining the rights. Even if they were likely to be able to obtain the rights (which I don't think they are willing to give the rights), the cost would probably be much higher. Japanese DVD's with no subs at all run around $200 US per boxset (sometimes more, sometimes less), as most of us know. What if they ended up costing that much or more due to the cost to obtain rights and produce new sets? That may or may not pose a problem with making the sets sell outside of Japan.

For an experiment, let's just say that guess is somewhat accurate and they cost $250 US at the end, *if* it were done. If they don't sell, profit is not made, deal goes bust. Sure, if people want it, there is proposed demand. But if in the end the cost is too high for those that originally demanded and they don't buy, profit goes down. No profit, no product. This is, say, if it was legitimately done which I still feel is very doubtful to happen.

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I don't feel it's likely. For whatever reasons the Japanese production companies may have for not giving rights for dramas (if the proposal came up and it were rejected), they *do* give rights to animes for distribution overseas. I think that is one of their biggest sources of profit to the overseas market, unfortunately. They probably do well enough with that and don't wanna lose money. People of all ages buy anime although it's a cartoon (as well as manga and miscellaneous related items). I think Japanese companies would probably stop there when it comes to overseas marketing of television shows for sale as to not risk losing more money on a drama experiment.

As for why it's more common now for so many Korean movies and dramas to have English subs, I don't know :lol Different country, possibly different reasoning and cost :unsure:

^Many of the above were my personal opinions so don't flame me if you disagree or are disappointed that it *might* be true :P

kargeo

English subtitle

Post by kargeo » Feb 20th, '05, 22:45

I don't know about MG in English is not perfect, just to let you know that TS has the copyright of that series in Cantonese so I think it might be best to ask TS first. But they seem to like more to dub alot hk movie in English subtitle...which is strange to me. I thought most people would like to listen to original language and English sub...

Did any of you notice the English subtitle that HK TVB release “Beauty and War” ~ I’ll definitely recommended it, but I don’t have a chance to view the subtitle if it’s good or not, but you may check them out @ http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... beauty+war ~ it’s also being sold on eBay for $125…

groink

Post by groink » Feb 20th, '05, 23:24

ericf wrote:I don't believe there is a problem with the Japanese not wanting their series licnesed outside of Japan. I think it might be licensing costs or something else that makes it a problem. Yesasia aren't explaining why they don't listen to people's wishes about this. That makes them look bad to me.
Sorry for the following off-topic post... I can symphathize with ericf's frustration. I feel the same way on most points. However, I don't think it's YesAsia's fault for the lack of English-subbed Japanese merchandise. There are several issues they might be faced with:

LICENSING and DISTRIBUTION - For example, licensing of the songs and other BGMs beyond television transmission (DVD region-1, for example). There may also be other contractual and licensing-related issues that we don't know about, such as a clause in Sorimachi Takashi's contract restricting the distribution of his performance in HOTMAN 2. I used to be a member of the Hawaii Association of Recording Artists (HARA) as a studio musician, and in some of my contracts there were clauses like (in laymen's terms) "You can use my performance on CD and cassette, but not on 8-track or reel-to-reel." If they wanted to sell my work on 8-track, an entirely separate contract would need to be created and signed.

FINANCIAL and MARKETING - Right now, an average 12-episode Japanese drama DVD box set, region-2 with no English subtitles, cost over 19,000 yen (about US $200). Tacking on English subtitles and additional licensing fees for the music, the price would shoot up let's say an additional US $50 (purely hypothetical price there - no math behind it). The English speaking community is already complaining about US $89.00 for The Sopranos 4th Season DVD box set.

Seeing you brought up Korean entertainment as a comparison, the Korean industry isn't as restrictive as the Japanese. From what I've heard from people at KBFD-TV, licensing fees for Korean content are pennies in comparison to the Japanese content.

Basically, it isn't YesAsia that's to blame. It's the Japanese companies for making it a financial and marketing hell for someone to come up with the "people's wishes". If YesAsia told you what I just mentioned above in a more professional e-mail response to your question, you'd think YesAsia is full of it and are just making up excuses. And, having a distribution company like YesAsia saying negative things about another company or market would be very bad for them. So probably a no-response is better for everyone than a response stirring up further controversary.

--- groink

Pale-MuN

Post by Pale-MuN » Feb 20th, '05, 23:28

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT HAPPEN! <3 :)

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Feb 20th, '05, 23:42

This is an issue that seems so obvious to me that I often wondered why companies haven't already cashed in on it. Why the heck not put eng subs in with releases and expand their market? I'm sure they've got their barriers to overcome, but I'm also sure the eventual gain they'd get from sales of series with eng subs would more than make up for any inital costs they'd have to deal with to get it done.

I mean, if your everyday citizen, who doesn't really get any tangible benefits from doing so and doesn'tt usually have professional equipment to work with, can still find the time and audience for fansubs, isn't that saying something about the potential market? It seems almost ridiculous that the suppliers have to be convinced of this fact...

wakopin

Post by wakopin » Feb 20th, '05, 23:48

groink I think you are both right and wrong. Licensing issues in Japan are really difficult, however, look at the Taiwan editions of Japanese CD's. They sell in Taiwan at the equivalent price of a Tawinese CD, not for 3200 Yen exchange. That's 1/3 the price of the Japanese edition and it's just as good (it's a cd) and it's just as authentic (EMI-Toshiba, JVC, etc. all cross license), and it often includes a Chinese translation of the lyric sheet in addition to the original Japanese lyric sheet.

There are licensing restrictions that prevent the reimportation of these CD's which essentially prevent the Japanese consumer from benefiting from these price reductions.

What can we extrapolate from this? Maybe for the non-Japanese market, they can sell the 190,000 yen DVD package for 65,000 yen equivalent with English subtitles. Use the recent ban on re-importation of Japanese media products to protect the local market, yet allow a non-Japanese county to enjoy the Japanese Dramas.

I really don't think it is that difficult anyway. Maybe with Hotman 2, however it is the media companies that really control the show. I believe that they will change their mind once they realize that they can get an additional revenue stream. Something is better than nothing.

But remember, while I would also want to buy these DVD collections, be careful for what you wish for. YesAsia will become the interested party in preventing unauthorized distribution of this kind of video product. Anything they license, they will have an interest in preventing the fan-sub equivalent from being distributed.

I really do think there is a really significant market in the US, Canada and UK for English language subs of the Japanese TV shows. If only for overseas Japanese who would want to have their own copy for their kid's language learning. Include a Japanese sub with the English sub and you have an incredible language learning tool in every box. And that's cracker jack, even without the secret toy surprise.

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Feb 20th, '05, 23:59

groink wrote:
ericf wrote:I don't believe there is a problem with the Japanese not wanting their series licnesed outside of Japan. I think it might be licensing costs or something else that makes it a problem. Yesasia aren't explaining why they don't listen to people's wishes about this. That makes them look bad to me.
Sorry for the following off-topic post... I can symphathize with ericf's frustration. I feel the same way on most points. However, I don't think it's YesAsia's fault for the lack of English-subbed Japanese merchandise. There are several issues they might be faced with:

LICENSING and DISTRIBUTION - For example, licensing of the songs and other BGMs beyond television transmission (DVD region-1, for example). There may also be other contractual and licensing-related issues that we don't know about, such as a clause in Sorimachi Takashi's contract restricting the distribution of his performance in HOTMAN 2. I used to be a member of the Hawaii Association of Recording Artists (HARA) as a studio musician, and in some of my contracts there were clauses like (in laymen's terms) "You can use my performance on CD and cassette, but not on 8-track or reel-to-reel." If they wanted to sell my work on 8-track, an entirely separate contract would need to be created and signed.

FINANCIAL and MARKETING - Right now, an average 12-episode Japanese drama DVD box set, region-2 with no English subtitles, cost over 19,000 yen (about US $200). Tacking on English subtitles and additional licensing fees for the music, the price would shoot up let's say an additional US $50 (purely hypothetical price there - no math behind it). The English speaking community is already complaining about US $89.00 for The Sopranos 4th Season DVD box set.

Seeing you brought up Korean entertainment as a comparison, the Korean industry isn't as restrictive as the Japanese. From what I've heard from people at KBFD-TV, licensing fees for Korean content are pennies in comparison to the Japanese content.

Basically, it isn't YesAsia that's to blame. It's the Japanese companies for making it a financial and marketing hell for someone to come up with the "people's wishes". If YesAsia told you what I just mentioned above in a more professional e-mail response to your question, you'd think YesAsia is full of it and are just making up excuses. And, having a distribution company like YesAsia saying negative things about another company or market would be very bad for them. So probably a no-response is better for everyone than a response stirring up further controversary.

--- groink
I'm going further off topic too but we have similar explanations. And yeah, I was one of those complaining about the prices of the Sopranos boxsets :lol My sister had me buy them from people on Ebay who bought them wholesale. I think the most expensive US boxset I personally bought was a season of the Simpsons, which cost around $45 at the time, but I think that's still reasonable and average. I have very few DVD's compared to most but considering how broke I am now, I can't get 'em yet. When I'm financially stable I'll definitely be buying more, both foreign and domestic :mrgreen:

Yesasia's Korean boxset prices are still pretty reasonable considering the licensing issues, the work put in, and the fact that it's foreign, but even they are kinda steep for some people. If Japanese sets were out, they'd probably cost 3 times as much as the Korean sets and I still think less people would buy them based on price alone. But I still don't see Japanese companies even allowing the rights to be bought for this purpose. Lots of tangled red tape to go through, I think.

Anyway, back on the subject, I think Chinese series would be feasable. I do think Tomorrow's price is a little bit steep but that is my personal opinion. It's still do-able though, and more worth it than MG because the subs are nice. I probably just say that it's a bit steep because I'm broke :lol Again I'm not a big Chinese series watcher, but I tend to go for the ones based on Japanese stories :lol

kargeo

Licensing J-Drama?

Post by kargeo » Feb 21st, '05, 01:36

I didn't watch much Japanese Drama even though it's hot. Aren't there about 50 Jdrama being licensed to published in China VCD just about $1 and episode? (and all others like DVD are illegal). (not sure about Hong Kong, Taiwan and Malay)… Well, my point is even China can’t get; I don’t understand why USA can’t…

washi

Post by washi » Feb 21st, '05, 02:08

since this topic has kind of spread to english subs of japanese dramas as well, let me say that yes i wish it would happen and that i would purchase several series.

however, i disagree with those that say there's a large market for this. Taking d-addicts as a group of highly likely purchasers, i believe few will purchase while the large number will wait until someone re-encodes them and uploads them here.

look at korean dramas. nearly every popular series has been recently released, many with excellent subtitles at reasonable prices, yet demand for the raws+fansub or tv-ripped version remains very high.

we at d-addicts are an alternative to non-subbed dramas but are also one of the reasons why there isn't enough market.

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Feb 21st, '05, 02:16

washi wrote:we at d-addicts are an alternative to non-subbed dramas but are also one of the reasons why there isn't enough market.
Though there are a lot of fansubs here, I'm sure if subs were actually released with the so-called official copy of something, people would still buy them. Heck, people buy official series without subs even if they don't understand them!

Also, I highly doubt everyone is internet-oriented and has the patience to ask and beg for seeds if they didn't catch a series during a hot time, dl, wait, and then possibly spend a lot of time converting between formats and encoding if they want to watch on the tv. Not everyone has access to high speed internet, so for a lot of people, they would never think to go to the internet. Places like d-addicts might be taking away some potential customers, true, but there're still plenty out there... :-)

Sangwoo-oppa

Post by Sangwoo-oppa » Feb 21st, '05, 04:13

Mind if I give my $0.02 cents on this issue, too? :P Hmm, this topic was mostly about English subtitled Chinese series and it has led to so many great avenues for discussion.

Washi, I think that indeed, there are MANY of us who are wanting subtitled dramas and begging for seeders etc. I, for one, am such a D-addict fanatic :wub: I just totally adore all of the fabsubbers out there who take their time to bring us such goodies. However, D-addicts is a way for me to test out a series first to see if it's good enough to buy. Yes, I do buy plenty of my dramas via YESASIA, mostly because I want the DVD original quality and I like the pretty box sets :P I can't always afford it but that's what saving up means. D-addicts is a beautiful way to test-drive a drama to see if it's worth owning and that's what I do.

Calcifer10000, I completely agree with what you'd stated. Indeed, D-addicts caters to an overwhelming number of folks, but when it boils down to it, there are so many other folks out there who doesn't have cable internet or doesn't have the patience to wait for seeding etc. Also, for those die-hard fans of dramas, I know that many will buy the original DVD sets if their life depended on it (figuratively speaking, that is). I know that I'd do almost anything for MARS original DVD release with English subs. I don't think that D-addicts really deters anyone from buying a drama if they really wanted it. There is SO MUCH potential customers out there who will buy and buy some more. I, myself, do both - I download and then buy if there's a series that I practicularity like :P I think that there's a HUGE market for Chinese English subbed dramas. It's unfamiliar territory but there's so much potential there. That's why I began this thread in the first place. I want to see companies like YESASIA bringing forth Chinese series that we can all appreciate and watch over and over again.

By the way, Neonkinpatsu, I'm blown away by your post. It makes total sense why companies aren't going to attempt to release Japanese series. I think that the license from the companies *are* ludicrous. I know that for Anime licences, North American distributing companies can go bankrupt if there isn't enough market for that certain Anime. Japanese movies/series/Anime, it seems, want a lot of profit for their products and giving out licenses away isn't what they seem to be doing easily. Like you, I don't believe that the blame is on companties such as YESASIA. They can only do so much. But, if the Japanese companies don't co-operate, then their hands are tied, regardless of how much fans want their Doramas subbed.

cherryflavored_Keita

Post by cherryflavored_Keita » Feb 23rd, '05, 04:23

Sangwoo-oppa wrote:Just a quick rant to Cherryflavored_Keita :P

Oh and I completely agree with you hands down about METEOR GARDEN being subtitled. It is by FAR one of the most popular Chinese series EVER with a fanbase that is phenomenal. Some of my Caucasian friends who have never seen Chinese series have heard of METEOR GARDEN through the Internet grapevine. That's how popular it is. MARS, also, has a huge cult following, but since it was just released in June 2004, it is not as famous as METEOR GARDEN. But I know that this fan base will grow because I find MARS ten times better than METEOR GARDEN in terms of acting, plot and addictiveness *grins* Gah, I'm such a MARS fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub:
Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind while buying my K-series!!

Yeah, I definately agree about the craziness of the potential selling power of MG. In fact, I wrote this to Tom Larsen, as the email address you posted suggested:
Mr. Larsen,

Recently, I have heard that in addition to the fantastic service YesAsia
has provided in the form of English subtitled Korean drama series on DVD,
the company is considering doing the same for certain Chinese language
drama series. I feel that it would be a wonderful idea and would gladly
support it!

Honestly, I have been hoping to see many Chinese language series subtitled
on DVD, but all of my hope kind of died out because of there being no
version of these series that is provided in that fashion. When YesAsia
began providing Korean series on DVD, though (which, as I said before, is
so great!), I became heartened. Maybe seeing many of the great Taiwanese
series I like on DVD could be possible!

Hopefully, YesAsia will consider putting gems like MARS, Lavender, Dolphin
Bay, and (of course) the Meteor Garden series on English subtitled DVD.
You would certainly have a customer in me! And, especially with all of the
F4 fans across the world, I could imagine how many other customers you
would find by releasing series that feature its members. Personally,
although I don't really consider myself an F4 fan (although I am a big fan
of the show MARS, which starred Vic Zhou of F4), I would buy the Meteor
Garden series just to see what it was all about! Can't you imagine all of
the people who'd be willing to do the same?
And he emailed me back!! With this:
Thank you for your email. I really appreciate it. I am in charge of the
project to release more and more Korean TV dramas on DVD with English
subtitles. I hope we can release more and more in 2005. Thank you for your
support and encouragement.

I have forwarded your email to Joseph Lam. Joseph is leading the project to
evaluate whether we should release Taiwanese TV dramas on DVD with English
subtitles. Please feel free to contact him directly in the future at
josephl@yesasia.com

Thank you for your great feedback.

Tom
I'd suggest more people to start sending those emails, because it obviously helps. Hopefully, we'll be able to see these series on DVD soon. Everyone, Show Your Support!

Sangwoo-oppa

Post by Sangwoo-oppa » Feb 23rd, '05, 15:37

Cherryflavored_Keita:

THANKS so much for emailing Tom Larsen. He's such a great person and always responds back with prompt emails, even though I'm sure that he is such a busy man. And WOHOO, he gave you Joseph Lam's email address?! That's so cool! I'm gonna go bug Mr. Lam now...hhehee.... :P as I am totally supporting Eng subbed Chinese DVDs! Your email was so profoundly convincing! Ever thought about a career in Criminal Law? 8) Hopefully, Mr. Lam will be able to launch projects for MARS and METEOR GARDEN and LAVENDER, among other awesome Chinese series! Subtitling TVB series is also a really good idea, since some of their series is quite good.

You know, I can SERIOUSLY see this happening in the future! I was a Korean drama fan for years - even before it hit popularity in Asia. I had to resort to asking my cousin in Hawaii to ship tapes of them in Eng subbed (since they air Eng subbed K-dramas over there) over for me to watch. Never in a million years would I imagine that K-dramas would be available in crystal-clear DVD quality AND with superior English subtitles! It's like a dream come true to me! :wub: So that's why I have confidence that if we REALLY petition for this to happen, IT WILL HAPPEN.

SO C'MON EVERYONE - PLEASE e-mail Mr. Lam and let him know that the world wants Chinese series with English subtitles!!! :P Thank you!!!

yergie

Post by yergie » Feb 26th, '05, 03:13

:D hope it happens..
i mean chinese series is so much better than korean series and theirs sub for korean series :x

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Feb 26th, '05, 07:28

Why would anyone vote no? :O

umaynoire

Post by umaynoire » Feb 26th, '05, 07:46

Kai Lien wrote:Why would anyone vote no? :O
O_o;; yeah... x_X
oh well ^_^ survey says, "majority wants english subs!"

apples

Post by apples » Feb 26th, '05, 07:48

definitely a yes! although i haven't bought much from yesasia other than movies. But I think they would earn a lot from chinese dramas cos there's so many chinese in the world(though most understand the language). It would be a shame if such good dramas can't be accessible to others who do not understand the language.

laiyee

Happy Hongkie

Post by laiyee » Feb 26th, '05, 12:02

I'm so glad that so many people want to sub chinese dramas....as a hongkie living in AUS for 7 odd years, I talk abourt TVB series with my cantonese-speaking friends. Now very happy to see alot more people would take interest in chinese dramas. By majority voting yes, hopefully Yesasia would have eng-sub chinese series!! :D
btw any of u follow hk entertainment? :P

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Feb 26th, '05, 12:23

definitely YES!!!!!!!! why shouldn't they? it'll be great for their sales since Taiwanese dramas like MG, MGII, Lavender, At the Dolphin's Bay, and Mars are so popular~ and not only that, it'll offer an oppurtunity to those who don't understand a word of Chinese (whether Cantonese, Mandarin, or any other Chinese dialect) a chance to understand it.

also, some of the older TVB dramas are pretty great, too!! they should have them available in Canto and not always Mandarin dubbed since I feel that any dubbed series just ruins the natural look of the series itself. The too pleasant Mandarin speaking dubs puts a damper on the real emotions that the actors try to convey in their scenes. so instead of only having dubs, they should also have another option such as English subs for non-Cantonese fans. :-)

and yea Kai Lien, i wonder the same thing....
why would anyone vote no?
i mean i understand both Canto and Mando......so i've watched quite a lot of good series on VHS/DVDS with my parents and I think it's great that they should be shared to the community.

Sangwoo-oppa

Post by Sangwoo-oppa » Feb 26th, '05, 21:37

Tom Larsen just wrote back to me and he's pleased that we're doing our best efforts to e-mail Mr. Joseph Lam to bug him about releasing Eng subtitled Chinese series, so YAY! Tom is supporting us on this project too, so that's AWESOME. Keep up the fantastic work, everyone. But, the drawback is that Tom warned me that even if this project is launched, the legalities about subtitling a series will take a while. But nevertheless, as long as Mr. Lam realizes that there is a huge untapped market out there of potential buyers for Eng subbed series, then in my book, we WILL make this HAPPEN! ^_^ Keep it up everyone!!!

Hmm, and just like all of you, I wonder why some ppl voted "No" to this idea? :blink

KooZai

Post by KooZai » Mar 23rd, '05, 23:07

This is a super idea! :D I noticed that there are korean series with english sub but none of the chinese series has sub. Quite dissapointing. :-( Really hope that chinese series can be subbed as well....how could it not sell????They're as good as korean's and there are quite many non-speaking chinese fans out there!!! :roll

fantasydream3

Post by fantasydream3 » Apr 11th, '05, 20:50

Yesasia should definetely release some Chinese series with English subtitles! Although I understand fluent in both Mandarin and Cantonese, there are people out there who don't. It would be great if these great dramas can be shared and understood by audiences who don't understand Chinese. By releasing Chinese series with English subtitles, Yesasia can spread the greatness of Chinese series, hehe :D.

ericf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ericf » Apr 29th, '05, 20:33

It's been a while since anyone posted in this thread but I wanted to make a comment.

I noticed that Sangwoo-oppa, in his first proposal wrote that yesasia have beautifully translated the korean series that they have published.

This is not very true. They have "translated" them alright but as it seems the "translation" is only of about 70% of the dialogue. I'm watching Rooftop Room Cat right now, I'm on the 10th episode, and it's getting more and more frustrating. There's just so much that isn't translated at all! It's not just about small expressive sounds or single words. It's about whole sentences that have important (and sometimes less important) meaning to the understanding of the actions of the characters.

Here are some examples from episode 10:

Yesasia: Totouta:

46.39 into episode 10: Jung-Eun and her boss
Came back OK? How was your trip?
Why are you here? How come you're here?
I'm here to pick you up. I came here to give you a ride.
My dad loved the present. my dad liked the present from you
Thanks again. so much. Thank you.
Glad to hear that. that's good.
Did you really come to the station to get me? anyway, you really came to the
station to give me a ride?
I wanted to see the good food well, actually I'm interested in the
from the birthday party foods. you brought some birthday
foods, right?
Sorry, I only brought back two servings oh chief..
I brought foods for just 2 people.
I can give you a little. no foods to share with you, but..
okay, I'll give you some.
'cause it's good to share birthday
foods.
I guess I need to buy you dinner thank you so much,
I'll buy you dinner tonight.
Well, there's omethingimportant I need oh, I can't make it tonight.
to do today. I've got something to do.

is that right?

Let's go out some other time okay, let's have dinner next time.

Later in the episode ( about 47.49) Hye-Run and Kyung Min

What are you doing here? Hye-ryun, how come you're here
without giving me a call?
I thought you'd be here I came here to take you outta this
place.
Didn't you promise to leave in you promised to get outta here
3 days? Today is Day #3 within 3 days.
today is the 3rd day.
I know right..
I'll be leaving in just a little while I was about to leave this place.
Let me say good bye but Jung-eun went to her parents'
home for some family thing.
to Jung-Eun first so..I think at least
I have to say goodbye to her
before I leave..
Pack your bags pack up.
Huh? I said, pack your bags uh? pack up now.

I'll take you to your grandpa's house I'll take you to your granpa's house.

uh.. why?
Let's go! you don't wanna get out?
Ok, ok yes, I wanna get out..
I really want to..uhm..
Let's go, let's go okay, let's get out!
by your car... drive me to my granpa's house!

Later at 48.43 Jung-Eun and her boss

Wait a minute hold on a second.
What? what are you doing?
I said I'd share my food with you I'm sharing my foods with you.
Cook it again, later, got it? don't forget to keep these
in your fridge, okay?
No. It's Ok you don't have to do this for me.
I was just joking I was just kidding, you know.

No, you live alone it's alright.
You need some food you're living alone. so don't miss free
foods.

You can eat this take it.
it's yours.
See you later I gotta go home, bye!
Good bye thanks, bye!

Yet a little later (56:50) Jung-Eun and Mom on the phone

Hello What did you do? hello?
( you took the memorandum? )
Sorry, mom I'm sorry, mom.
You bring that back right away ( take the memorandum back to
me right now, )
( or I'm coming to your place tomorrow. )

Mom, I'll handle it mom,
let me handle this situation,

I don't like that I don't wanna force him to do something for me
by this kinda piece of paper.

Are you crazy? ( you must be insane! ya! )
What? ( whom are you talking to? )
Nothing ( oh, never mind. )
Talk to you later ( I'll talk to you later. )
Mr. Yoo, this is Jung-Eun chief,
it's Jung-eun Nam.

Have you eaten dinner? you had dinner?
It might be too late Yeah if you haven't had dinner..uhm..
well, but I'm afraid it's too late for dinner..
right, it's too late.

I thought so yeah, it's too late..

What about a late snack? how about some late snack, then?

Well, these are some pretty obvious examples of dialog where the yesasia translation is very much shortened or the dialog is not translated at all. I'm quite sure that totuta knows the difference between:
Cook it again, later, got it? don't forget to keep these
in your fridge, okay?
This must be a mistranlation on yesasia's part. and at the end this conversation:
What?
Nothing
makes absolutely no sense. Totuta's translation:
( whom are you talking to? )
( oh, never mind. )
does make sense.
Also, they keep translating What? as Why?
This is consistent with the whole translation job.

You can see that yesasia don't have native english speaking translators nor do they translate what is being said as they should. They are summarising what is being said most of the time. I don't call that translation.

If you want your series fully comprehensible you have to contact yesasia about this. If there is a an e-mail adress that one can write to then I'd like to use it to ask them about the shortcomings of their present translations.

Mabye something can be done in future series to prevent this half hearted way of converting the korean dialogue to an english "make short sentences because people can't take time to read all that text" "translation".

ericf

YHY

Post by YHY » Jul 4th, '05, 08:07

Take the survey, they have Detective Investigation Files :-)

http://us.yesasia.com/specials/surveyas ... survey.asp

insanekyo

Post by insanekyo » Jul 4th, '05, 12:28

That's wierd. There's no Mars english subs? I'm watching it on TV (I live in California btw) and it has both mandarin and english subs.

yergie

Post by yergie » Jul 5th, '05, 05:18

Kai Lien wrote:Why would anyone vote no? :O
i know..
this is a yes yes only..kekek.
i would die to see.. frog prince with english sub..watching it every sunday..lol..
too bad.my chinese is sooo bad........
PLEASE SUB YESASIA>>PLEASE>>>

nedayaj

Post by nedayaj » Aug 4th, '05, 07:55

I would really love if alot of the mainland/ taiwan ancient series came out with subtitles.. Like Chinese paladin, Paradise, Magnificent healer, Wind and Cloud, huan zhe ge ge 1-3, legend of dagder lee.. and etc..

gerlee

Post by gerlee » Nov 15th, '06, 23:10

Hi guys!! do you know where I can download the Meteor garden? please help me!!

tncdel

Post by tncdel » Oct 30th, '09, 02:08

I would also like to see all Korean dramas with English subtitles. It makes no sense to not avail the profit from a whole segment of the world that speaks English, the second most commonly spoken language in the world. By not including English subtitles, the producers are missing out on many hundreds of millions of potential customers.

A historical drama like the 200 episode "Emperor Wang Guhn" and all others should definitely include English subtitles.

thumberlina

Post by thumberlina » Jan 6th, '10, 19:45

so good, i love Chinese series very much, i just bought "Four women conflict" with English subtitled on Yesasia after for a long time

angelic.me

Post by angelic.me » Mar 2nd, '10, 16:58

It'll definitely be good if they put English subtitles on Chinese dramas. Actually for all dramas. I know my Chinese so I don't have a problem with that but it'll be great for all the other language dramas like Japanese and Korean. I do hope they translate them correctly though. As Ericf had said, there is no point in summarizing the dialect, that is not call translating. Hope Yesasia fixes the problem and find good translators! Not dialogue summaries.