Are you interested in Japanese dramas with Japanese Subs?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.

Are you interested in J-Drama that are (except English subtitled)

Raws (without any subs)
26%
Japanese Subbed
46%
Chinese Subbed
14%
Japaneses+Chinese Subbed
6%
Anything will do!!!
9%

Total votes: 35

okumasama

Are you interested in Japanese dramas with Japanese Subs?

Post by okumasama » Nov 27th, '04, 00:16

That's a quick poll. Just to know what you are interested in since I've got so many dramas but the problem is not much time to subtitle everything... I won't ask you to pick a drama from a list since I would like to pick the ones to subtitle: if I don't have any interest for that drama subtitling is really a pain... So that's a poll to find out how many people are really intersted in additional non-subbed (raw) releases or Japanese subtitles releases. I know many people look forward on practising their Japanese through dramas so dramas with Japanese subtitles displayed doesn't sound a bad idea... Mind that this is about DVDs. The procedure required to get the DVDs ripped and encoded with their Japanese(or/and Chinese) subtitles is not that hard or time consuming so that could be really fast. Anyway here is the poll.

Note: if you are voting for raws mind that this is not about the latest dramas raws. I don't have neither a sattelite dish to record them, neither access to download them. It's about older series (well eventually everything gets out to DVD after a few months) ripped from DVD to raws. As for the Chinese subtitles... well it is a question to this poll but I won't really release anything with Chinese subtitles. You can get almost every available drama from the Chinese BitTorrent sites that carry Chinese subs so need to repear here.

I am releasing the drama "Maria" soon with Japanese subtitles so you can actually get a taste and test yourself to see if you can actually understand the drama any better with the subs. I think it's a great help to Japanese language students... Of course no help for people that still learn hiragana but it would be fine for Intermediate students. Listening it's very hard but when you are also reading what you hear it's superb.
Last edited by okumasama on Nov 27th, '04, 01:34, edited 2 times in total.

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Nov 27th, '04, 01:18

well, i'm probably not in the majority, but i voted for chinese subtitled. without english subtitles, that's the next best thing, cause i can't understand any japanese at all. :) i might not even download if it's chinese subtitled, cause it's a hassle for me to read. but if it's for a drama that i really want, and the chances of seeing english subs are slim (i.e. Itazura Na Kiss) then i'll download. but that's just me. :roll

delsxyz

just a note

Post by delsxyz » Nov 27th, '04, 02:09

At abmj, lately Dust Off had added Romaji dialogs to
key scenes.
This really helps us(me) to learn the Japanese
language.
Ex
{\fs12\a3}Asunaro White Paper
Chapter 5
{\fs20}I don't need half-baked kindness.
{\fs12}Chuuto Hanpana Yasashisawa Iranai.

{\fs20}Could you stay with me until the dawn?
{\fs12}Kono Mama Asamade Isshoni Irareru?

Bigger font (20 point) is English and smaller font (12Point) is
Japanese. And both are color coded.

delsxyz

just a note

Post by delsxyz » Nov 27th, '04, 02:23

At abmj, lately Dust Off had added Romaji dialogs to
key scenes.
This really helps us(me) to learn the Japanese
language.
Ex
{\fs12\a3}Asunaro White Paper
Chapter 5
{\fs20}I don't need half-baked kindness.
{\fs12}Chuuto Hanpana Yasashisawa Iranai.

{\fs20}Could you stay with me until the dawn?
{\fs12}Kono Mama Asamade Isshoni Irareru?

Bigger font (20 point) is English and smaller font (12Point) is
Japanese. And both are color coded.

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Nov 27th, '04, 06:59

As you already know Okumasama, I'm definitely interested in Japanese subs. :lol For me it helps verify my listening comprehension and beef it up, as well as beefing up my reading. So there will be much less holes in my understanding the drama as opposed to watching them raw.

As for the reference to romanizing, I think it's kinda odd, but maybe that's just me :blink I guess for fun, but I wouldn't feel it's seriously fitted to assist with learning. For subbing I would only see it as the biggest help in romanizing song lyrics for those who cannot read Japanese and wish to know the lyrics to sing along only. Other than that, I don't see it as much help for those learning Japanese unless they cannot read Japanese well, to verify what they hear, but only that. But with many peoples' different preferences on romanizing, things can get sticky too. I don't think it helps all that much because I think to learn Japanese it's a definite to learn how to read it. I know a lot of people hate or have trouble with kanji, but it really is important for things such as homonyms (well, sorta, it's the closest thing I could think of to describe them), when the context of the phrase doesn't exactly tell you the meaning. I guess for me hiragana and kanji are better for practice and learning....
Nothing can ruin a career faster than an office party.

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Nov 27th, '04, 07:28

I voted for raw's because it leaves the door open for soft subs.
Soft subs are more helpful when learning too and when it comes to the sub language I would say english. Since apprently i dont speak Chinese, Korean or Japanese (yet)
:blink $zipCode = strtoupper($zipCode); // it is not the case of being sensitive... XD

lazerus

Post by lazerus » Nov 28th, '04, 06:08

I voted for Japanese subtitles (transcription). I am not quite ready for raws. Seeing the words while hearing them really helps me to understand and retain them. I am also more likely to look up a word if it is displayed on the screen.

For me, if it’s in romaji it is often *very* awkward, the words take longer to read, and then it takes more time to associate the correct meaning (with the romaji). The kanji characters make reading the subtitles faster and easier. Granted, some kanji are more difficult to look up, but if the subtitles include furigana it’s even more awesome!

I agree that soft subs are even better. But I can understand why few people would want to provide them. Is it possible to softsub in Japanese with furigana too? I have been meaning to try doing just that. As for leaving the door open for soft subs, isn’t there a dark background for the soft sub characters, which would allow English (or another language) soft subs over the Japanese hard sub?

Does anyone have a list of Japanese Dramas (and/or Movies) that come with Japanese subtitles?

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Nov 29th, '04, 07:45

Seeing that this is also related to the JP subs post going on I should add, it might for eductional purposes be of value to have a romanized JP sub file.

Perhaps a step to delegate down to those already knowledgable in Japanese to learn more from for us who are not yet there....

Or as you suggested, hiragana/katakana only for a starters sounds even better.
At least it's easier to look up in a dictionary than a kanji /*glares over at my 9 inches of Kanji dictionaries.

ne-, sempai... :) /* winks to neonkinpatsu
:blink $zipCode = strtoupper($zipCode); // it is not the case of being sensitive... XD

amrayu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by amrayu » Nov 29th, '04, 08:01

neonkinpatsu wrote: As for the reference to romanizing, I think it's kinda odd, but maybe that's just me... I guess for me hiragana and kanji are better for practice and learning....
The idea of romaji for dialog is strange to me too. I've learned from my japanese teachers that using romaji is like a crutch. I've seen some students who had to write out ALL the romaji for hiragana and kanji in their textbooks. :crazy:
Follow SARS-Fansubs on Twitter now!
Get up-to-date info on dramas and fansubbing!

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 29th, '04, 08:27

amrayu wrote:
neonkinpatsu wrote: As for the reference to romanizing, I think it's kinda odd, but maybe that's just me... I guess for me hiragana and kanji are better for practice and learning....
The idea of romaji for dialog is strange to me too. I've learned from my japanese teachers that using romaji is like a crutch. I've seen some students who had to write out ALL the romaji for hiragana and kanji in their textbooks. :crazy:
Agree with all y'alls... :lol:
I think it'll help your listening skills if you go at it completely blind. From the sounds, you can always look up the words in the dictionary. And if you can't find it that way, it gives an excuse to crack open that kanji dictionary and actually use it... ^_^;;;

As an educational tool, I honestly can't see this as being very useful for absolute beginners trying to learn the language from scratch. It might just be me, but I think you really need to have a fairly good grounding in the basics for this to really help. For absolute beginners, I do think subs in your native language are more helpful... Otherwise, it's complete grammar overload, particularly since colloquial language tends to have a lot more variations than taught in classes.

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Nov 29th, '04, 08:33

amrayu wrote:
I would guess you ment "White out" not write out.

I have heard this before too and it astonishes me to think that teachers would be this way. I know they are (and not only in Japan or in language teachings) however, the fact remains.

I flunked everything in school. Until I decided to learn my way. (English as well in fact)
Then it stuck I came back and clocked out with tests and straight A's and the very same teachers said, well you see it wasn't to hard. With a glare I left mumbling something like "not thanks to you"

If anyone learns, and if it is even one student who learns by doing something the "wrong way" and then has the ability to re-learn or teach others, then as such it should be not only permitted but endorsed and allowed.

There is no goal in it self to TEACH but to LEARN.

No matter how you reach the goal, the one and only time in life I would say that the journey is unimportant, and the goal everything, is when it comes to learning.

First when you have the knowledge obtained, can you start using it and thereby experiencing.

On an even more vital note, when using IME or any other tool of choice, you still have to input Romaji so the computer understands. Saying that Romaji is not useful is like banning the use of English/Latin keyboards from the very start and as such the purpose of learning a language to be able to work with it or use it is for ever defeated.

Well nuff ranting about that, I bet most in here knows what I am getting at.
I doubt anyone in here would know the actual meaning of the words, hiragana or katakana, had there not been a Hepburn system to start with.

/* goes and sits in a corner again.

Edit >>
(Please note this is not anything against anyones point of view. I simply cannot stand teachers who think dictatorships are good and their way is the only way.
The amazing thing about education is that you learn NEW ways. Not stick to the old that does not work for everyone.)

amrayu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by amrayu » Nov 29th, '04, 08:59

techie wrote: I would guess you ment "White out" not write out.
I have heard this before too and it astonishes me to think that teachers would be this way. I know they are (and not only in Japan or in language teachings) however, the fact remains.
No, "WRITE OUT".. as in, writing out all the syllables for ALL hiragana/kanji.
Romaji is okay in the beginning. But even the romaji system is sketchy (like neon mentioned).
In defense for my High School Japanese teacher, she made learning japanese very enjoyable. If she hadn't made it enjoyable, I wouldn't have studied Japanese for as long as I did (8+ years). I'm sorry for those that had bad teachers. :-(

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Nov 29th, '04, 09:07

amrayu wrote:No, "WRITE OUT".. as in, writing out all the syllables for ALL hiragana/kanji.
Ah ok.. well I've experienced and had friends who did too, the other kind.

Well I should retract my lil' verbal slap over your teachers head then..

hontoni gomen na.... ooops

ほんとに ごめん なさい

:D

amrayu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by amrayu » Nov 29th, '04, 09:16

@techie:
:) 頑張って ね!
ganbatte ne! :lol

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Nov 29th, '04, 09:23

amrayu wrote:@techie:
:) 頑張って ね!
ganbatte ne! :lol
漢字 いつも 漢字 。。。 大変 とても 大変

But I will take any advice to heart offered here at d-addicts.

...thank heavens for babelfish
Mind you I have no teacher, no school or nothing.
Only dorama to back me up at the time being.

kawaii~ne

Post by kawaii~ne » Nov 29th, '04, 10:06

I don't care about subtitle... Because I can't read both Japanese and Chinese... It will very good it it has English Subtitle... But If not, it's ok ^^

I just want to only watch.. sometime I can't understand their word for all... But I can guess the story from their act... It has a lot of chalange hahahaha ^^

deadhippo

Post by deadhippo » Nov 29th, '04, 10:07

i vote for raws and soft subs
that way the subs can be removed after youve read anything
and can then concentrate on listening

although i know others want to practice their reading
i want to practice my listening comprehension :)

yakitori

Post by yakitori » Feb 18th, '05, 05:06

Dead Hippo said:
i vote for raws and soft subs
that way the subs can be removed after youve read anything
and can then concentrate on listening

although i know others want to practice their reading
i want to practice my listening comprehension
I totally agree. Though my Japanese is terrible, at least i'll be able to read some Japanese words. I've been wanting to improve my Japanese so having them as soft subs will be great to enhance understanding and then remove to improve my listening comphrehension.

Thanks for the offer, Okumasama!! :D