Dramas for learning Japanese?!?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
AlJazeera

Dramas for learning Japanese?!?

Post by AlJazeera » May 2nd, '09, 20:42

So I've been around this site a few times, picking up a few shows here and there, but I visited the forums to see if anyone had suggestions on what dramas I could watch to practice hearing and responding in Japanese? (well the response part is on my own, I know they can't hear me :D ) I'm just looking for shows that I can listen to people speaking, probably high-school or college age people so I can better accustom myself to hearing it and the different words they use. The shows can be subbed or unsubbed, if I find myself cheating with the subs I can just put a piece of tape on my screen or something :D
I searched through the older threads/posts, so I don't think there was any request really like this before, but I could have always missed it, but if there is, could I have a link to it?
Right now I'm studying Japanese in school and I've done some work on my own learning kanji and other things. I'm going to be an exchange student at Sophia University in the fall, and I want to be as good at speaking as I can before I get there. If you guys have anything at all to suggest, I'll gladly listen.

Thanks!
ありがとうございます!

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » May 2nd, '09, 22:21

Well any show in Japanese will help you in listening practice. I would just look through the drama recommendation thread for ones that would interest you because dramas that suck don't tend to hold your attention in any way. And since you want conversational things... avoid medical shows.

groink

Post by groink » May 2nd, '09, 22:34

Most young people speak Tokyo dialect nowadays. You mentioned Sophia University, so you probably want to stick with how people speak in Tokyo. I'd check out Orange Days.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

AlJazeera

Post by AlJazeera » May 3rd, '09, 16:55

Thanks for helping me out, I know it was sort of a weird question, but this helped.

BokuWaShinigami

Post by BokuWaShinigami » May 3rd, '09, 17:03

I agree; you might want to avoid dramas with lots of specialized technical jargon. :)

And as a random side note, I have a very good friend who is attending Sophia University and she really likes it there (she studied abroad there, and then later transferred there completely), so I'm sure you will have a great experience.
Image and Image
Currently Watching: Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Buzzer Beat, Orthros no Inu, Otomen, TEIOH

rowensage

Post by rowensage » May 3rd, '09, 17:12

I personally found akai ito relatively easy to follow and even though I have never formally studied japanese I still understood most of what was happening without subs.

dokilis

Post by dokilis » May 3rd, '09, 17:34

Depending on your level, there's a show for beginners called "Erin ga chosen" where an exchange student "challenges" little tasks set before her. Not really a drama so much, but a TV show to help foreigners practice Japanese with real-life situations

kaidanmono

Post by kaidanmono » May 3rd, '09, 18:10

I'm also a student of Japanese (3 years now) and I'm also constantly trying to find dramas that aren't too difficult (read: too jargon-filled). Recently I've been watching Ghost Friends (now airing) and I've found myself understand about 95% of the dialogue. The plot is not complicated and it's a light, comedy filled drama. The main character is in high school and most of the dialogue is in the futsuutai (non-polite form). I'd certainly recommend this one to you.

dabogy

Post by dabogy » May 5th, '09, 10:04

rowensage wrote:I personally found akai ito relatively easy to follow and even though I have never formally studied japanese I still understood most of what was happening without subs.
I second this. I typically read the subs when I watch, but for this one, I could go by ear. :mrgreen:

noobee

Post by noobee » May 25th, '09, 03:26

try my signature to learn Japanese
This user's account has been suspended. Because the user has ignore the mod's warnings to not reply with short useless messages, just so a spam link will show up on all his reply messages.

Louis__Armand

Post by Louis__Armand » Jun 7th, '09, 02:36

That's really useful, I'm always trying to understand and learn, so I'll be following the advices =D

epokw

Post by epokw » Jun 7th, '09, 10:26

Watch anything, as long as it's fun.

I think d-addicts will love this language learning method: http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com :)

I'm using it, it's been a year (a poor one at that :P) and I can understand 60-70% of what a dorama says without subtitles, and I trust that in 3-6 months that it will bump to 80-95%.

calimerina

Post by calimerina » Jun 9th, '09, 12:08

I think the dorama Orange Days is useful for learning japanese. It's a beautiful (love) story about a deaf girl so half of the time characters talk with the sign language but at the same time they speak out loud slowly or you see japanese subtitles or writing. They also say things in the simpliest way . It's a good start.