Have a quesiton about watching Japanese TV from overseas? Ask here!

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
pato

Re: Comparing Options for Watching Japanese TV from Overseas

Post by pato » Aug 19th, '15, 13:07

Vince3 wrote:
pato wrote: I dont have any problems yet with my iHome IP900 that i purchase from Lee at Shenzhen Sunvysat LTD's store but sometimes i worry.
I think now many people complain about them. Also i dont know what else you could do more then what you already did.
As for me to be honest next time i will renew my subscription for my iHome, i will just buy a new one with Yetta from FreesunTV. I bought 2 times different IPTV with her and i am more then happy with the service and if ever you need help or inforrmation you can talk with her very fast via skype or email.
Sorry i wish i could help you more!
Thanks for your reply, if I can make it work again I will definitely not renew my subscrition with them.
I'll follow your advice and buy from FreesunTV.
Anyway it's cheaper with FreesunTV.:)

supabakakun

Post by supabakakun » Aug 20th, '15, 14:49

Felt I should provide an update for Maige TV. Music On TV is working again, and I saw that NHK World is no longer on their channel listing.

luchojoazul

Post by luchojoazul » Aug 20th, '15, 20:27

i see this channel list from august?

Hedwig

iHome IP900 Problem

Post by Hedwig » Aug 21st, '15, 23:18

Vince3 wrote:Hello Guys, It's my first post on this forum.

I'm having a big problem with my iHome IP900 that I bought from Lee at Shenzhen Sunvysat LTD's store
(I bought it in december 2012 and it's the first time I have so much trouble with it).

Since the 5th of July, it can't connect to the server anymore, the blue LED on the front panel of the iHome doesn't turn on neither.
After runing the diagnostic software countless of time, I still have the same errors
(Upgrade URL Failed (1006), Home page Failed (1006).

Does anyone else here have the same problem, especially in europe?

I've read a lot about this topic on this forum and tried many things (the famous 246838, Formated the SD card, Changed the SD Card, Changed the secondary DNS for 8.8.8.8 or 114.114.114.114, Reseted the iHome and the router, I tried it in an other place to be sure that my connection and router were not the problems).

Of course, I contacted my seller every week since the problem started but Mr Lee doesn't answer, like sensui123 said previously
"am I at the mercy of my seller that holds the subscription?".

Is there anything else I can try to make it work again? Should I contact another seller?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S: Sorry for my poor english

Hi,

I am also experiencing issues with the box.

I bought the box in December '14.
The symptoms started roughly early July '15 with an increased lag in menu response and progressed into the system hanging at various stages eg. white screen, partial menu loading, buffering a channel. Let me note that if I managed to load a channel it would work fine.
I've ruled out WAN speed issues..It's steady at 22Mbps.
I emailed the vendor once and he told me to open the box and re-insert SD card. Of course that would have been too easy and made no difference. So I went further and performed a deep format on the SD card. This also made no difference. I started to read about this topic and came across a phenomenon called memory leak or memory overflow due to a flaw in the source code of the programming ( Linux and also earlier versions of android) I am attributing this due to the slow progression of failure with my iP900.

The other possibility is that connectivity to management servers is slow or interrupted i.e. possible overloading on their side.

Has anybody else experienced anything to that effect?

I am not far away from driving to the next river and watch a splash :|

UPDATE:

Two days after post above I am also having connectivity issues. Error code 1006 for Home Page URL and Upgrade URL. Manually entered primary and secondary DNS from my router. They both pass on the ping.
I've tried using different SD cards to my previous hang up issues. There was no improvement.
Have tons of other stuff connected to the router including a different IPTV box. All works with no problems.

UPDATE II:
I contacted Junia at freesuntv <junia@freesuntv.com> and described the second issue. They reset my box on server side and now I am connecting again.
However it's back to initial problem of menu hanging.
Am communicating with them about this issue. Will keep group posted.

UPDATE III:
No response to menu not loading or hanging from freesun.com. Did more reading about inherent memory overflow issue and did the followiwg:
1. Changed the SD card to a new one. Make sure it's formatted to FAT 32 with 32kb cluster.
2. Manually entered the DNS addresses from my broadband router into ip900 network configuration.
3. Turned on the unit and left it on for about two days.

I am not a code pro but thought that it would allow all the swap files to re-load and maybe purge the main memory of fragmented data... Just guessing really.

But it seemed to do the trick. I would say that the performance overall is back to 90% of what it was out of the box.
Crossing my fingers..
Last edited by Hedwig on Aug 29th, '15, 15:28, edited 3 times in total.

supabakakun

Re: iHome IP900 Problem

Post by supabakakun » Aug 21st, '15, 23:53

Hedwig wrote:

I'm having a big problem with my iHome IP900 that I bought from Lee at Shenzhen Sunvysat LTD's store
(I bought it in december 2012 and it's the first time I have so much trouble with it).

Since the 5th of July, it can't connect to the server anymore, the blue LED on the front panel of the iHome doesn't turn on neither.
After runing the diagnostic software countless of time, I still have the same errors

I've read a lot about this topic on this forum and tried many things (the famous 246838, Formated the SD card, Changed the SD Card, Changed the secondary DNS for 8.8.8.8 or 114.114.114.114, Reseted the iHome and the router, I tried it in an other place to be sure that my connection and router were not the problems).

Of course, I contacted my seller every week since the problem started but Mr Lee doesn't answer, like sensui123 said previously

Is there anything else I can try to make it work again? Should I contact another seller?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The symptoms started roughly early July '15 with an increased lag in menu response and progressed into the system hanging at various stages eg. white screen, partial menu loading, buffering a channel. Let me note that if I managed to load a channel it would work fine.
I emailed the vendor once and he told me to open the box and re-insert SD card. Of course that would have been too easy and made no difference. So I went further and performed a deep format on the SD card. This also made no difference. I started to read about this topic and came across a phenomenon called memory leak or memory overflow due to a flaw in the source code of the programming ( Linux and also earlier versions of android) I am attributing this due to the slow progression of failure with my iP900.

The other possibility is that connectivity to management servers is slow or interrupted i.e. possible overloading on their side.

I suggest buying a new SD-Card and inserting it the box. SD Cards wear out after after being written to many times. I had the same issues with my IP 900 and they went away after I replaced it with a new card.

jtvmania

Post by jtvmania » Aug 22nd, '15, 00:08

Hedwig wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Seems there are quite number of people affected by this symptom lately. Please let us know if new SD card fixes the problem. A lot of time it fixes after server side ID reset but some of people can not get it resolved.

Vince3

Post by Vince3 » Aug 22nd, '15, 16:08

jtvmania wrote:
Hedwig wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Seems there are quite number of people affected by this symptom lately. Please let us know if new SD card fixes the problem. A lot of time it fixes after server side ID reset but some of people can not get it resolved.
Didn't work for me with a new SD card. In my case it really looks like it's a connection problem.

Anyway, Thanks for your suggestion.

risu

Post by risu » Aug 24th, '15, 11:52

So i came back from holidays and noticed my IHome IP900 subscription has expired.
I'm very happy with the machine and the service, my wife put pressure on me to reactivate it asap, so i don't really compare with other products and renew the subscription with Mark from Aliexpress. It was 250USD, maybe i could negociate but i was in a hurry.

FYI it's not immediate and here's how it worked :
- I contacted Mark through message center but he didn't react so i used the aliexpress chat and "poked" him often
- He gives you a link to an IHome product you have to buy but you don't pay
- Once done, he changed the price and then you pay (had to poke him again once done)
- Then you wait 24h so the money is transferred to his account
- The next day i poked him again, he told me he will reactivate
- But he can't to it directly, he had to contact IHome company, it was sunday, less staff available, it will take few more hours.
- Eventually, my IHome was reactivated around 28h later.

Vince3

Post by Vince3 » Aug 24th, '15, 13:21

Hi again,

Thanks to everyone for your answers about my iHome problem.
So I've pretty much given up on fixing my iHome ip900.

I'm actually looking for a new box, which box and seller will you recommend me? (Uchi, iHome 2 and Hikari look pretty interesting)
For me, it's important to have the 7 days playback and of course the picture quality.

In advance thanks for your recommendation.

pato

Post by pato » Aug 24th, '15, 18:40

Vince3 wrote:Hi again,

Thanks to everyone for your answers about my iHome problem.
So I've pretty much given up on fixing my iHome ip900.

I'm actually looking for a new box, which box and seller will you recommend me? (Uchi, iHome 2 and Hikari look pretty interesting)
For me, it's important to have the 7 days playback and of course the picture quality.

IHome IP900 or iHome 2, i recommend Yetta from http://www.freesuntv.com. She will help you choose the best for you needs.
If you choose Hikari, me i bought mine with https://japannettv.com/shop/index.php?route=common/home. Hikari as some channels that you dont have playback option.
As for me iHome and iHome 2 or my favorite.

kdjtachi65

Post by kdjtachi65 » Aug 26th, '15, 21:39

Vince3 wrote:I'm actually looking for a new box, which box and seller will you recommend me? (Uchi, iHome 2 and Hikari look pretty interesting)

I can recommend Uchi TV. I've been very happy with the picture quality on both live and playback streams. My only complaint is the provider's apparent inability to get the Star channels back.

I'd also recommend World TV, but it only has a five day playback period. It does, however, have several channels missing (intentionally or otherwise) from the Uchi TV lineup, so that might be more of a deciding factor than the playback window length.

Both APKs are available from japannetv.com, and I understand Uchi TV can be had for quite a bit less from another vendor referenced recently in this thread.

joluex

Post by joluex » Aug 27th, '15, 08:59

Hello friends from Spain.
First say sorry for my English is very bad.
On Monday I get my Ihome2, buy in freesuntv page, and all very fast and very well. Even cheaper than I imagined.
When I contacted them, they sent me an app for android to prove that such work with my connection.
It works well, but some channels Kansai have more image quality and image for me a little, but I think it's a matter of buying a good cable rj45 lan.
Since I have 20MB internet connection but my tv is 15 meters in another room.
The problem is that when they sent me the app, the menu had another interface of ihome2.
They said that could change with the remote control ihome2.
You know how I change the menu interface?
Since I like to have it as they sent me in the app.

This is the image of the interface of the menu now.

And I want to put the menu inferfaz like this.
Can someone help me to put this interface to my menu of ihome2?

I hope your help.
Thank you.

risu

Post by risu » Aug 27th, '15, 09:34

Something maybe not mentionned about IHome IP900 : the remote control is pretty efficient.
I image it's a RF one, i can control the machine in any position, any place from my living room.
Not like all others i have which require to be right in front to work.

jtvmania

Post by jtvmania » Aug 27th, '15, 19:29

joluex wrote:Hello friends from Spain.
First say sorry for my English is very bad.
On Monday I get my Ihome2, buy in freesuntv page, and all very fast and very well. Even cheaper than I imagined.
When I contacted them, they sent me an app for android to prove that such work with my connection.
It works well, but some channels Kansai have more image quality and image for me a little, but I think it's a matter of buying a good cable rj45 lan.
Since I have 20MB internet connection but my tv is 15 meters in another room.
The problem is that when they sent me the app, the menu had another interface of ihome2.
They said that could change with the remote control ihome2.
You know how I change the menu interface?
Since I like to have it as they sent me in the app.

This is the image of the interface of the menu now.

And I want to put the menu inferfaz like this.
Can someone help me to put this interface to my menu of ihome2?

I hope your help.
Thank you.
It uses same server but two different app under different branding.

supabakakun

Post by supabakakun » Aug 27th, '15, 23:12

To my surprise Maige TV Added Tokyo MX 1 and Tokyo MX 2. All they need to add is all 3 Star Channels, and it would make me a very happy person. :D

risu

Post by risu » Aug 28th, '15, 11:24

supabakakun wrote:To my surprise Maige TV Added Tokyo MX 1 and Tokyo MX 2. All they need to add is all 3 Star Channels, and it would make me a very happy person. :D
A bit scary to know channels can appear and disappear without notice :unsure:

jsternbe

Post by jsternbe » Aug 31st, '15, 01:37

What channel is Tokyo MX 2 on? I only see MX 1.
supabakakun wrote:To my surprise Maige TV Added Tokyo MX 1 and Tokyo MX 2. All they need to add is all 3 Star Channels, and it would make me a very happy person. :D

luchojoazul

Post by luchojoazul » Aug 31st, '15, 04:12

casually a channel has been changed by fuji BS in 788

sbm888

Post by sbm888 » Aug 31st, '15, 05:24

does anyone know whether there are updates to the UchiTV or World TV apks?
i bought mine a few months ago, and not sure how they will send us updated apks if there are updates?

jtvmania

Post by jtvmania » Aug 31st, '15, 09:25

sbm888 wrote:does anyone know whether there are updates to the UchiTV or World TV apks?
i bought mine a few months ago, and not sure how they will send us updated apks if there are updates?
As far as I know, there are no updates for those apps. :-)

Postmastur

Post by Postmastur » Aug 31st, '15, 17:27

jsternbe wrote:What channel is Tokyo MX 2 on? I only see MX 1.
Reboot the MaigeTV would see both channel.

MaigeTV is now the only box that have all these 3 channels. AT-X HD, Tokyo MX1, Tokyo MX2.

jsternbe

Post by jsternbe » Sep 1st, '15, 10:26

Weird. No matter what I do I only see Tokyo MX 1. Anyway, if they would just fix the fact that they start recording programs 5 minutes late, Maige would be the main way I watch Japanese TV.

Postmastur wrote:
jsternbe wrote:What channel is Tokyo MX 2 on? I only see MX 1.
Reboot the MaigeTV would see both channel.

MaigeTV is now the only box that have all these 3 channels. AT-X HD, Tokyo MX1, Tokyo MX2.

kdjtachi65

Post by kdjtachi65 » Sep 1st, '15, 14:26

The latest entry for Windows users: JPHD. Just noticed it on Japannettv. I think it's the same Windows port of iHome discussed earlier.

reverendlove

Post by reverendlove » Sep 3rd, '15, 04:12

Hi everyone, I lurked this thread pretty hard while doing my research/fact finding before moving forward with a solution. My wife is Japanese, and as everyone reading this thread knows, Japanese entertainment options in the United States are limited and that's being kind. I found the information so generously provided within this thread to be invaluable during my decision making process, and wanted to give back with my own solution and experience, in hopes that someone else my benefit as well.

On to the good parts!

Kind of FYI, my setup is entirely hardwired CAT6. From input node to TV Box it's all hardwired, there's no wireless segment in the line, to be honest I don't think that makes too much of a difference because of where my access point is but it's a data point nonetheless. The reason I state this is, bandwidth does in fact make a substantial difference in picture quality and responsiveness as I discovered. More on that later...

For a TV box, I ended up going with an M8 Amlogic S802 quadcore off amazon for 58 bucks or so. They can be found here: http://amzn.com/B00JDCO22I

Mine shipped from China, had the latest rooted Android Kit Kat 4.4 OS installed, and worked just find out of the box. Input using the cheapo remote when in applications like Plex & the Google Play store can be either wonky or outright unusable but it's nothing a mouse/keyboard or touchpad remote can't handle. SlingTV on the other hand wouldn't work at all, I think it detects a rooted os and halts. If I had to choose again, I'd go with a different TV Box, something that played nice with SlingTV (we're cord cutting) and did not have a randomized MAC address, as that caused me some minor pain down the road (I'll go into detail later in the post).

Next, I chose the Uchi TV app based off other poster's experience. I found application to be stable and communication with Jimmy to be easy, I'm happy with my provider. Initially when we tried it out, we had 12Mbit DSL from CenturyLink, using their wireless router/DSL modem. The picture quality was pretty good but some channels were definitely a little fuzzy and pixelated. My wife and noticed when a channel was selected, the little circle would spin about 2.5 times, sound would come over the speakers first, then the picture would pop up. Overall I'd say it was acceptable.

Next I switched providers and went with Comcast's 105 Blast service & bought my own cable modem an Arris SURFboard SB6183 found here: http://amzn.com/B00MA5U1FW
The cable modem is simply amazing, worth every penny and I think it absolutely helps in regards to picture and sound quality.
For a router I'm using a heavily customized Untangle router, http://www.untangle.com/
I don't think one's choice in router be it a Linux appliance like untangle, or a Netgear off the shelf of Best Buy is going to be sufficient enough to move the needle on IPTV picture quality and sound. In fact, I'd wager any wireless AP/router combo provided by your ISP would be sufficient as well.

Anyhoo, after switching to Comcast my wife and I noticed a very discernable difference in picture quality, sound and responsiveness of the application. Channels open and start within about 3/4 of a circle turn and we think it looks great. It's equal to the T.V. Japan Channel we were getting with CenturyLink. I've attached some pictures of the Uchi TV over Comcast's 105 Blast package and you can judge for yourself.

So about that MAC issue I referenced earlier, Uchi T.V. is not compatible with TV Boxes that change their MAC address upon reboot. Meaning my TV Box was unsupported. I got around this by hard setting the MAC address using some instructions I found on the intarwebs. It works just fine now after reboot, but had I known earlier I again would have chosen another box. I tried cheating and switched it over to wireless as the M8 Amlogic has a static MAC but it didn't work, the Uchi T.V. application only references the ethernet MAC on my TV Box. So if you're interested in taking the Uchi app for a test drive, make sure your T.V Box has a static MAC.

All in all, we're very happy (at least she is, so that means I'm happy too) with the experience. My absolute, 100% primary concern was addressed and that was this setup HAD to operate and feel just like normal television. My wife is not a techie, she need to this thing to work like a T.V. toaster, push a button, get T.V. and it does. She's got a bunch of clear channels, Japanese commercials which she missed and more importantly a pipeline of her culture, pumped directly into our living room, I count that as a win.
20150903_033524851_iOS.jpg
20150903_033524851_iOS.jpg (308.81 KiB) Viewed 5513 times
20150903_033520221_iOS.jpg
20150903_033520221_iOS.jpg (391.27 KiB) Viewed 5513 times
20150903_033355363_iOS.jpg
20150903_033355363_iOS.jpg (205.68 KiB) Viewed 5513 times

supabakakun

Post by supabakakun » Sep 3rd, '15, 22:39

reverendlove wrote: All in all, we're very happy (at least she is, so that means I'm happy too) with the experience. My absolute, 100% primary concern was addressed and that was this setup HAD to operate and feel just like normal television. My wife is not a techie, she need to this thing to work like a T.V. toaster, push a button, get T.V. and it does. She's got a bunch of clear channels, Japanese commercials which she missed and more importantly a pipeline of her culture, pumped directly into our living room, I count that as a win.
My wife and I mentioned to each other a few weeks ago that we watch more Japanese commercials than US commercials. We weren't complaining, but thought it was amusing that we fast forward US commercials but will sit and watch Japanese ones.

Bigo

Post by Bigo » Sep 6th, '15, 15:46

which one has better quality? uchitv, jpPlayer or jphd?
Could you please provide official website for uchitv and jphd? I'm confused :(

kdjtachi65

Post by kdjtachi65 » Sep 8th, '15, 01:54

Bigo wrote:which one has better quality? uchitv, jpPlayer or jphd?
Could you please provide official website for uchitv and jphd? I'm confused :(
for Windows, you can grab a 3-day trial ($10USD) for jpPlayer from HERE.

You can grab a free trial for JPHD, and, if you have a rooted Android device, the free trials for Uchi TV, World TV and iHome II from HERE.

Check them all out and determine which best suits your needs.

Potbellypig

Post by Potbellypig » Sep 11th, '15, 21:22

Does anyone know if there is a service that will allow me to watch the NHK news and other shows with real time captions when they are available? Slingbox is the best way to go for this, but the service that used to be on facebook went to skyperfecttv and no longer offers NHK channels. Also NihonNamaTerebi may not be in service anymore because I tried to e-mail them and the mail bounced. I have UchiTV but of course that doesn't have the captions. Any ideas? I use these services to practice my listening so real time captions on the NHK news shows would really help.

Bigo

Post by Bigo » Sep 12th, '15, 17:36

maybe NHK World TV has subtitles in japanese or english, but about other channels I guess not

Potbellypig

Post by Potbellypig » Sep 12th, '15, 18:19

Bigo wrote:maybe NHK World TV has subtitles in japanese or english, but about other channels I guess not
NHK World TV doesn't have Japanese subtitles which is what I am looking for.

Bigo

Post by Bigo » Sep 12th, '15, 18:52

Potbellypig wrote:
Bigo wrote:maybe NHK World TV has subtitles in japanese or english, but about other channels I guess not
Then I guess other channels doesn't have them as well. As far as I know only specific channels from specific countries has subtitles, like sweden: english tv shows with sweden subs, if I'm not wrong. For japan I think the don't have them.

supabakakun

Post by supabakakun » Sep 12th, '15, 20:01

Bigo wrote:
Potbellypig wrote:
Then I guess other channels doesn't have them as well. As far as I know only specific channels from specific countries has subtitles, like sweden: english tv shows with sweden subs, if I'm not wrong. For japan I think the don't have them.
Some Japanese programs broadcast Japanese subtitles. For the most part none of the Japanese IPTV services provide Japanese subtitles unless they were mistakenly turned on at the server side during capture. (SlingTV is a smart DVR, so I don't count it as a IPTV Service) Once I saw MaigeTV had the Japanese Subtitles turned on for TBS, but it was later fixed.

bielsafication

Post by bielsafication » Sep 13th, '15, 04:54

kenji321 wrote:looks good. channel switching is practically instant.

from what I can tell the streams are in 720p. With a little bit of effort I was able to get the stream to play in vlc.

the stream comes off from here:
livestream.exe -s stun.tvapp.so -t t.tvapp.so -u 2BACBDD31B0CF0BA -p 85D5279CC011443DEAA725D12205B0CB3F41F48F -l 50056 -o 47634

with control commands coming from the main app do the channel switching:
http://127.0.0.1:47634/ctrl/play?streamid=175

then the stream is opened:
http://127.0.0.1:47634/?t=1657829&k=e22 ... a1bde16322

channel switching can be done manually (without the main app) by just using the control command url. the stream is not interrupted due to channel switches.

I haven't looked at how the channel list is pulled, where or how the user/pass values are generated, or how the stream key is made. But it's worth looking into.

let's see how long this app lasts or remains free. honestly it looks like something that ppl should be paying for compared to options I've seen.
Really appreciate this, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. i can't open it on vlc.
What i've done is i simply open network stream via vlc and enters "http://127.0.0.1:47634/?t=1657829&k=e22 ... a1bde16322" on the network url. But vlc said that your input cannot be opened.

I also tried to enter "http://127.0.0.1:47634/ctrl/play?streamid=175" what happened after that, the channel in the main apps suddenly change to BBC Knowledge, but nothing happened in the vlc side. tried to change channel via the main apps, but it didn't work as well. Nothing happened to vlc, not even error notification popped out.

Am i missing something?

jsternbe

Post by jsternbe » Sep 13th, '15, 15:42

It looks like Maige TV has not only added a few channels (Tokyo MX 2 has finally shown up on my end), but they have fixed it so that it doesn't lose the first 30 seconds of every program. Now if there were only a way to not have a graphic show up when you unpause, and if they added Channel Neco, it would be almost perfect.

Potbellypig

Post by Potbellypig » Sep 13th, '15, 22:21

supabakakun wrote: Some Japanese programs broadcast Japanese subtitles. For the most part none of the Japanese IPTV services provide Japanese subtitles unless they were mistakenly turned on at the server side during capture. (SlingTV is a smart DVR, so I don't count it as a IPTV Service) Once I saw MaigeTV had the Japanese Subtitles turned on for TBS, but it was later fixed.
Yes, that is what I understand. That is why I was looking for a sling box service that still offers NHK but it doesn't look like they exist anymore.

lvfizz

Post by lvfizz » Sep 13th, '15, 22:39

Potbellypig wrote:Does anyone know if there is a service that will allow me to watch the NHK news and other shows with real time captions when they are available? Slingbox is the best way to go for this, but the service that used to be on facebook went to skyperfecttv and no longer offers NHK channels. Also NihonNamaTerebi may not be in service anymore because I tried to e-mail them and the mail bounced. I have UchiTV but of course that doesn't have the captions. Any ideas? I use these services to practice my listening so real time captions on the NHK news shows would really help.
Check your PM.

Bigo

Post by Bigo » Sep 13th, '15, 23:24

bielsafication wrote:
kenji321 wrote:looks good. channel switching is practically instant.

from what I can tell the streams are in 720p. With a little bit of effort I was able to get the stream to play in vlc.

the stream comes off from here:
livestream.exe -s stun.tvapp.so -t t.tvapp.so -u 2BACBDD31B0CF0BA -p 85D5279CC011443DEAA725D12205B0CB3F41F48F -l 50056 -o 47634

with control commands coming from the main app do the channel switching:
http://127.0.0.1:47634/ctrl/play?streamid=175

then the stream is opened:
http://127.0.0.1:47634/?t=1657829&k=e22 ... a1bde16322

channel switching can be done manually (without the main app) by just using the control command url. the stream is not interrupted due to channel switches.

I haven't looked at how the channel list is pulled, where or how the user/pass values are generated, or how the stream key is made. But it's worth looking into.

let's see how long this app lasts or remains free. honestly it looks like something that ppl should be paying for compared to options I've seen.
Really appreciate this, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. i can't open it on vlc.
What i've done is i simply open network stream via vlc and enters "http://127.0.0.1:47634/?t=1657829&k=e22 ... a1bde16322" on the network url. But vlc said that your input cannot be opened.

I also tried to enter "http://127.0.0.1:47634/ctrl/play?streamid=175" what happened after that, the channel in the main apps suddenly change to BBC Knowledge, but nothing happened in the vlc side. tried to change channel via the main apps, but it didn't work as well. Nothing happened to vlc, not even error notification popped out.

Am i missing something?
what software are you talking about?

kdjtachi65

Post by kdjtachi65 » Sep 18th, '15, 15:39

And now I see the Windows JPHD program is now available with a $19 monthly subscription. With 40+ channels available and 7-day playback, this might be a JpPlayer killer if it can manage comparable picture quality.

kdjtachi65

Post by kdjtachi65 » Sep 18th, '15, 15:48

JapanNetTV is now also offering Hikari TV as an android APK. The channel list is identical to the Hikari TV box, so I imagine it's a straight port. This field is getting crowded, and that's a good thing.

supabakakun

Post by supabakakun » Sep 18th, '15, 23:33

kdjtachi65 wrote:JapanNetTV is now also offering Hikari TV as an android APK. The channel list is identical to the Hikari TV box, so I imagine it's a straight port. This field is getting crowded, and that's a good thing.
It also looks like they now have 7 day recording for all of the Japanese Channels. May have to try it out.

pato

Post by pato » Sep 19th, '15, 13:07

supabakakun wrote:
kdjtachi65 wrote:JapanNetTV is now also offering Hikari TV as an android APK. The channel list is identical to the Hikari TV box, so I imagine it's a straight port. This field is getting crowded, and that's a good thing.
It also looks like they now have 7 day recording for all of the Japanese Channels. May have to try it out.
Japannettv just told me that they will do the update for the hikari tv box soon so all channels will have the 7 days playback just like the hikari apk.

Benelucky

Post by Benelucky » Sep 20th, '15, 20:14

Hello,

After watching Japanese tv throught JpPlayer for 2 years I bought an iHome 2. I have it for a week now, and I am very happy with the quality and stability of the iHome 2. And the option that I can use WiFi is great.

But i find it a pity that you cannot record with the iHome 2. Does anyone know if there is a workaround to record on the iHome 2 or a way to capture the tv screen so that I can record Japanese tv shows?

Hoping that somebody can help me out! Thanks in advance!

pato

Post by pato » Sep 21st, '15, 03:52

Benelucky wrote:Hello,

After watching Japanese tv throught JpPlayer for 2 years I bought an iHome 2. I have it for a week now, and I am very happy with the quality and stability of the iHome 2. And the option that I can use WiFi is great.

But i find it a pity that you cannot record with the iHome 2. Does anyone know if there is a workaround to record on the iHome 2 or a way to capture the tv screen so that I can record Japanese tv shows?

Hoping that somebody can help me out! Thanks in advance!
You could always buy a hdmi game recorder.
I had one before and it work really well and i could record everything in my PC so it was awesome. This is the one i had:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00B2IZ3B0 ... ref=plSrch

Benelucky

Post by Benelucky » Sep 22nd, '15, 16:24

Thanks Pato! I will have a look into it :D

DoingyFuzz

Post by DoingyFuzz » Sep 23rd, '15, 04:36

Super-duper longtime lurker. My iHome subscription expired this week. I'd like help deciding whether I should renew or try a new box, but I can't seem to find a clear consensus in this thread.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1. 7 days playback
2. Best picture quality and loading/buffering
3. Easy setup and user interface--in other words, I want to be able to plug it in and not go crazy setting things up.
5. Must have Kids Station

I've been considering iHome II, but there seems to be mixed reviews her e. . .

I love you all--look forward to your insight!

risu

Post by risu » Sep 23rd, '15, 06:43

I would say : renew

DoingyFuzz

Post by DoingyFuzz » Sep 23rd, '15, 19:02

risu wrote:I would say : renew
Thanks, Risu. Any reason why you think I should stick with iHome? I mean, iHome II looks like it's great--more channels, VOD, and wifi. Also, WorldTV's interface looks good--I like the preview window.

Anyway, it's been a few days since our subscription expired. My little kids are going through Anpanman withdraw.

Thanks!

yokeichan

Post by yokeichan » Sep 23rd, '15, 21:03

My iHome subscription just expired also. Think I'm going to try Maige instead. iHome has been freezing and buffering a few times during shows recently. I changed the SD card and no improvements. I like the fact that Maige's renewal rate is only $85 per year and that they have an official site which gives a lifetime warranty for their boxes and a support link. They also offer a discount for people wanting to upgrade from the last model to the new model so I'm assuming they'll do that in the future as well.

DoingyFuzz

Post by DoingyFuzz » Sep 23rd, '15, 21:58

yokeichan wrote:My iHome subscription just expired also. Think I'm going to try Maige instead. iHome has been freezing and buffering a few times during shows recently. I changed the SD card and no improvements. I like the fact that Maige's renewal rate is only $85 per year and that they have an official site which gives a lifetime warranty for their boxes and a support link. They also offer a discount for people wanting to upgrade from the last model to the new model so I'm assuming they'll do that in the future as well.
But does Maige have 7 days play back? That's a must for me. Also, isn't the picture quality a mess? I don't care about any other channels--just Japanese channels.

furransu

Post by furransu » Sep 23rd, '15, 23:07

maige tv is quite good, has 7 days playback and picture quality is not bad at all. audio and video are always in sync. you can adjust stream video resolution in settings.

DoingyFuzz

Post by DoingyFuzz » Sep 23rd, '15, 23:44

I guess all those Maige channels just seems greedy to me . . . Again, I'm only interested in Japanese TV. Is there anyone here who has used all the different services and can vouch for one over the other. Perhaps a rolling vote would be good. (Or maybe someone smarter than me could make a stickey.)

I have to say, the ihome interface is clumsy--ff and rewind are odd. No full screen TV schedule (upcoming shows, etc.) I find myself staring at the blue menu screens a a lot. That said, picture and sound have always been spot on with no freezing.

kdjtachi65

Post by kdjtachi65 » Sep 24th, '15, 02:17

DoingyFuzz wrote:I guess all those Maige channels just seems greedy to me . . . Again, I'm only interested in Japanese TV. Is there anyone here who has used all the different services and can vouch for one over the other. Perhaps a rolling vote would be good.

I have to say, the ihome interface is clumsy--ff and rewind are odd. No full screen TV schedule (upcoming shows, etc.) I find myself staring at the blue menu screens a a lot. That said, picture and sound have always been spot on with no freezing.
If Kids Station is a must-have and you're willing to give Android a try, IHome2 and the now-available Hikari APK might be worth a test drive. World TV, whose picture quality and navigation are superior to IHome2's, is unfortunately limited to 5-day playback, and doesn't offer Kids Station. It does have Animax.

On the linux side, Hikari TV is generally voted right up there with the original IHome PQ-wise, and, as mentioned recently, the box will soon offer 7-day playback on all Japanese channels. When I get a spare moment I'm gonna test out the Hikari APK and see how it compares against Uchi TV and World TV. Twelve months scream by before you know it.

DoingyFuzz

Post by DoingyFuzz » Sep 24th, '15, 02:22

kdjtachi65 wrote: If Kids Station is a must-have and you're willing to give Android a try, IHome2 and the now-available Hikari APK might be worth a test drive. World TV, whose picture quality and navigation are superior to IHome2's, is unfortunately limited to 5-day playback, and doesn't offer Kids Station. It does have Animax.
Thanks! Any thoughts on the picture quality of ihome vs ihome II. Some say ihome II is worse, but others says it's great. Has anyone here used both and formed an opinion?

risu

Post by risu » Sep 24th, '15, 09:15

DoingyFuzz wrote:Thanks! Any thoughts on the picture quality of ihome vs ihome II. Some say ihome II is worse, but others says it's great. Has anyone here used both and formed an opinion?
Unfortunately people don't tell the display size and type they use to watch iHome.
It has a direct impact on the image quality you feel.

I don't trust people installing an APK on their 10" qHD tablet and telling me the quality is great.
With Set-top boxe systems, we can start comparing.
I watch iHome on a 40" Full HD TV and the quality is good most of the time. So far, nobody said there was a better quality on the same display type.

For your other interrogations, my personal thoughts :
- MaigeTV has a strange policy : sometimes channels disappear, sometimes others appear without further notice. Hard to trust ...
- Wifi, not a fan of this technology for video streaming ...

pato

Post by pato » Sep 24th, '15, 09:26

DoingyFuzz wrote:
kdjtachi65 wrote: If Kids Station is a must-have and you're willing to give Android a try, IHome2 and the now-available Hikari APK might be worth a test drive. World TV, whose picture quality and navigation are superior to IHome2's, is unfortunately limited to 5-day playback, and doesn't offer Kids Station. It does have Animax.
Thanks! Any thoughts on the picture quality of ihome vs ihome II. Some say ihome II is worse, but others says it's great. Has anyone here used both and formed an opinion?
For me the best TV box is still iHome IP900.
I love iHome II but the quality of picture is lower.
Hikari TV box picture is also really good. I would say same as iHome IP900.
Still today my no.1 choice is iHome IP900 but thats a personnal choice.

jsternbe

Post by jsternbe » Sep 25th, '15, 10:09

Maige TV currently has no Japanese channels at all. There are only mainland Chinese channels. Their official web page is also down. From what I have found out, they may be playing dead while president Xi is in the United States since the box is mostly sold in the mainland and they want to make sure that any news about the trip comes through official channels. We will see if it comes back to life. They have added 45 days to my subscription, so that makes me think that it is all politics that they are having to deal with.

supabakakun

Post by supabakakun » Sep 26th, '15, 01:32

pato wrote:
DoingyFuzz wrote:
For me the best TV box is still iHome IP900.
I love iHome II but the quality of picture is lower.
Hikari TV box picture is also really good. I would say same as iHome IP900.
Still today my no.1 choice is iHome IP900 but thats a personnal choice.
I am curious. Does Hikari have the same level of artifacts during high action scenes?

I currently have iHome, iHome II, and MaigeTV. iHome is used the most in our home.

pato

Post by pato » Sep 26th, '15, 04:03

I am curious. Does Hikari have the same level of artifacts during high action scenes?

I currently have iHome, iHome II, and MaigeTV. iHome is used the most in our home.[/quote]
I think it's pretty much same level of artifacts during high action scenes with Hikari.
It depends maybe on channels.

theslydog

Post by theslydog » Sep 27th, '15, 08:48

jsternbe wrote:Maige TV currently has no Japanese channels at all. There are only mainland Chinese channels. Their official web page is also down. From what I have found out, they may be playing dead while president Xi is in the United States since the box is mostly sold in the mainland and they want to make sure that any news about the trip comes through official channels. We will see if it comes back to life. They have added 45 days to my subscription, so that makes me think that it is all politics that they are having to deal with.
For me the Maige TV box it completely down and wont even connect to a server is just sits there trying then says the network is down.
Hopefully Maige TV is not kaput and has ceased to be...

Luckily we have a Slingbox 500 connected to a Panasonic PVR in Japan as backup and can use that. Time to fire up the HTPC.

From expats:
UPDATE:

你好,中秋节快乐,今天服务器暂时 面关闭、所有用户都无法连接、预计7 号前恢复、敬请谅解!

Translation:

Greetings, happy mid-autumn festival to you. Today the streaming servers are completely shut down temporarily. All customers will not be able to connect to the servers. Estimated recovery by 7 October. Please accept our apologies.

Fujiwara596

Post by Fujiwara596 » Sep 27th, '15, 10:31

kdjtachi65 wrote:And now I see the Windows JPHD program is now available with a $19 monthly subscription. With 40+ channels available and 7-day playback, this might be a JpPlayer killer if it can manage comparable picture quality.
If anyone is interested in this option I did a test run for that one.
1) Picture and audio quality vary on different channels.
2) Some channels may not load sometimes. (I had a 3 day trial run and on the first day フジテレビ and 朝日テレビ were not loading at all.)
3) 7 day playback is working
4) If you close the program sometimes you need to kill the JPHD.exe & player.exe processes in order to launch it again.
5) Video teardown effect on some channels (it can be my hardware problem though)

here is the short video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2hf2kCSfnM

here is some raw video captures (no sound)
https://mega.nz/#F!mUgRHCZA!1LBDtWFtXcqjdY8EMPdS7Q

jsternbe

Post by jsternbe » Sep 27th, '15, 13:29

Apparently there is some police action going on and they are playing dead until it blows over. Hopefully they didn't get caught up in it and come back. I guess we will have a clearer picture in a week or two.

theslydog wrote:
jsternbe wrote:Maige TV currently has no Japanese channels at all. There are only mainland Chinese channels. Their official web page is also down. From what I have found out, they may be playing dead while president Xi is in the United States since the box is mostly sold in the mainland and they want to make sure that any news about the trip comes through official channels. We will see if it comes back to life. They have added 45 days to my subscription, so that makes me think that it is all politics that they are having to deal with.
For me the Maige TV box it completely down and wont even connect to a server is just sits there trying then says the network is down.
Hopefully Maige TV is not kaput and has ceased to be...

Luckily we have a Slingbox 500 connected to a Panasonic PVR in Japan as backup and can use that. Time to fire up the HTPC.

From expats:
UPDATE:

你好,中秋节快乐,今天服务器暂时 面关闭、所有用户都无法连接、预计7 号前恢复、敬请谅解!

Translation:

Greetings, happy mid-autumn festival to you. Today the streaming servers are completely shut down temporarily. All customers will not be able to connect to the servers. Estimated recovery by 7 October. Please accept our apologies.

statrosa

Post by statrosa » Sep 30th, '15, 14:17

Fujiwara596 wrote:
kdjtachi65 wrote:And now I see the Windows JPHD program is now available with a $19 monthly subscription. With 40+ channels available and 7-day playback, this might be a JpPlayer killer if it can manage comparable picture quality.
If anyone is interested in this option I did a test run for that one.
1) Picture and audio quality vary on different channels.
2) Some channels may not load sometimes. (I had a 3 day trial run and on the first day フジテレビ and 朝日テレビ were not loading at all.)
3) 7 day playback is working
4) If you close the program sometimes you need to kill the JPHD.exe & player.exe processes in order to launch it again.
5) Video teardown effect on some channels (it can be my hardware problem though)

here is the short video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2hf2kCSfnM

here is some raw video captures (no sound)
https://mega.nz/#F!mUgRHCZA!1LBDtWFtXcqjdY8EMPdS7Q
I can confirm what Fujiwara596 writes above. I canceled my subscription for JPHD and will test Hikari APK tomorrow.

statrosa

Post by statrosa » Oct 1st, '15, 07:17

Hikari APK

I have been testing for a few hours now.
At the moment I have no video or sound.
So I can see the menu: Live TV, Movies and VOD.
And get all channel and programming info.

However nothing happens when I click on something.
By the way, switching between menus goes a lot faster if you use VPN (Japanese IP).

Japannettv informed me that my Single Core Android box was maybe not sufficient, however Skylive TV and Uchi TV run fine without any issues.

Secretly I'm hoping that this is maybe related to China not allowing any digital TV to exit the country around this period (Moon festival and birthday of the Republic) and that this will all be over after 6th of October. But I just don't know.
I'm willing to try another android box, so I haven't given up hope yet.

pato

Post by pato » Oct 1st, '15, 09:21

statrosa wrote:Hikari APK

By the way, switching between menus goes a lot faster if you use VPN (Japanese IP).

Japannettv informed me that my Single Core Android box was maybe not sufficient, however Skylive TV and Uchi TV run fine without any issues.

Secretly I'm hoping that this is maybe related to China not allowing any digital TV to exit the country around this period (Moon festival and birthday of the Republic) and that this will all be over after 6th of October. But I just don't know.
My Hikari box works fine so i dont think its related to China not allowing any digital TV to exit the country around this period.

bigfishpro

Post by bigfishpro » Oct 1st, '15, 14:06

Just got the JPHD and it works fine for me... I'm running it on Windows 7 Ultimate x64... I just got the 24hr trial which they extended to 3 days... It looks good so far, which might warrant a full on subscription... I'll test the $19 option first then might extend for a year...

statrosa

Post by statrosa » Oct 2nd, '15, 17:32

statrosa wrote:Hikari APK

Hey guys, I just tested Hikari APK, successfully. The problem was something with to low flash memory, so I removed some unnecessary apps.
Image is very clear. And so is sound.

I'm from the Netherlands and switching between channels and loading VOD is really slow, so I use Pure VPN for Japanese IP and everything is fast.
Yesterday JPHD started working again and I can also confirm clear image and sound.

Both apps are the best I have ever seen and almost as clear as a Slingbox with Skyperfect subscription.

kdjtachi65

Post by kdjtachi65 » Oct 2nd, '15, 20:23

statrosa wrote:Both apps are the best I have ever seen and almost as clear as a Slingbox with Skyperfect subscription.
Thanks for the update. I see that JapannetTV is now also offering the Hikari TV APK as a $30USD monthly subscription, so the two newest options also happen to be the most budget-friendly (at least in the short term).

Ah, risu made a good point recently about picture quality vs screen size, so just to establish a somewhat objective baseline, what size/resolution TV/monitor are you using in your tests?

statrosa

Post by statrosa » Oct 2nd, '15, 21:40

kdjtachi65 wrote:
statrosa wrote:Both apps are the best I have ever seen and almost as clear as a Slingbox with Skyperfect subscription.
Thanks for the update. I see that JapannetTV is now also offering the Hikari TV APK as a $30USD monthly subscription, so the two newest options also happen to be the most budget-friendly (at least in the short term).

Ah, risu made a good point recently about picture quality vs screen size, so just to establish a somewhat objective baseline, what size/resolution TV/monitor are you using in your tests?
Correct They are now offering 30usd monthly subscription.
Quality is 720p, TV is 42inch Philips Full HD.
So it also includes a video on demand page with a few pretty new movies.
To my surprise Attack on Titan had English subtitles.
The menu can be changed into Chinese and English.
Attachments
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG (339.36 KiB) Viewed 3909 times
IMG_0643.JPG
IMG_0643.JPG (427.87 KiB) Viewed 3909 times
IMG_0637.JPG
IMG_0637.JPG (393.07 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
IMG_0638.JPG
IMG_0638.JPG (383.96 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
IMG_0640.JPG
IMG_0640.JPG (328.24 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
IMG_0639.JPG
IMG_0639.JPG (348.08 KiB) Viewed 3911 times

zdzdz

Post by zdzdz » Oct 2nd, '15, 23:44

Is tvapp.so server down? It's not working for me.
The application states that it can't connect to the server. And the website itself won't open. Even in google results it won't show. :blink
ImageImage

fischer22

Post by fischer22 » Oct 3rd, '15, 08:36

zdzdz wrote:Is tvapp.so server down? It's not working for me.
The application states that it can't connect to the server. And the website itself won't open. Even in google results it won't show. :blink
Yes, it is down. You can still use BETV to watch though.

Fujiwara596

Post by Fujiwara596 » Oct 4th, '15, 13:22

fischer22 wrote:
zdzdz wrote:Is tvapp.so server down? It's not working for me.
Yes, it is down. You can still use BETV to watch though.
If anyone is interested in BETV option I did a test run of it (Its a free app).

Instructions from reddit
1) Install BETV
2) replace ppp.conf
3) Run BETV
4) watch specific channels

here is my short video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7yzk4nIcMc

here is zip archive with BETV install file, ppp.conf file and channels.png - japanese channels names to look for
https://mega.nz/#!zMRGFbIR!hb-x1zR4nf0- ... SYAc0xSpOI

tvwatcher

Post by tvwatcher » Oct 14th, '15, 08:48

Hi, I'm doing the 1 day trial of the uchi tv android apk, from tde-mall. I'm having a couple problems:

1. I can see the channel list. After selecting a channel I can hear audio but only see a black screen.
2. On the channel list, the right side of the screen is cut off.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this.

judithdayao

Post by judithdayao » Oct 14th, '15, 11:20

Fujiwara596 wrote:
If anyone is interested in BETV option I did a test run of it (Its a free app).

Instructions from reddit
1) Install BETV
2) replace ppp.conf
3) Run BETV
4) watch specific channels

here is my short video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7yzk4nIcMc

here is zip archive with BETV install file, ppp.conf file and channels.png - japanese channels names to look for
https://mega.nz/#!zMRGFbIR!hb-x1zR4nf0- ... SYAc0xSpOI
I LOVE YOU. YOU SAVED MY LIFE. MAY GOD BLESS YOU <3 :-)

kdjtachi65

Post by kdjtachi65 » Oct 15th, '15, 02:31

tvwatcher wrote:Hi, I'm doing the 1 day trial of the uchi tv android apk, from tde-mall. I'm having a couple problems:

1. I can see the channel list. After selecting a channel I can hear audio but only see a black screen.
2. On the channel list, the right side of the screen is cut off.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this.
What device are you running the app on? If it's unrooted, you're very likely to experience these issues.

Aristo82

Post by Aristo82 » Oct 16th, '15, 00:31

Does anybody know if Uchi TV supports rewinding and fast forwarding within previously recorded shows?

I am trying it out on my FireTV and have been very happy with the quality and reliability. But I can't figure out how to skip to a particular time within a pre recorded show.

Or maybe this is a limitation within the apk itself?