Japanese Face... Sharp?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
noobee

Japanese Face... Sharp?

Post by noobee » Sep 15th, '08, 15:41

Do you notice that Japanese superstars got sharp faces?

I wonder how do they do it? is it their descendants, surgery, sports or theres some technique to make it sharp with some face roller thingy...

anybody got any ideas?

gokidora

Post by gokidora » Sep 15th, '08, 16:36

Yes, Mitsubishi makes a special machine that does that, the 顔のローラー, but it's not sold outside of Japan. They claim it only works on Japanese because of their "unique physiology" but I think the real issue is concern about a renewed Korean Wave. It takes a lot of skill to use properly, so each agency jealously guards their in-house practitioner. A few months ago one of my friends at Ken-On snuck me in for a session and I got my features so sharp I could open letters with my chin and security started gaving me a real hassle at the airport. Now all I hear when I'm in Harajuku is girls saying "surudooooiiiii!"

noobee

Post by noobee » Sep 15th, '08, 16:42

lol with your chin?

ya japanese girls like sharp faces...

but i think its about sports also, some of japanese guys do neck exercise regularly

flip_warrior

Post by flip_warrior » Sep 15th, '08, 16:53

Many of those celebs have had some for of cosmetic surgery, so you can't really believe they were all born with what you believe to be sharp faces or features.

To me, Japanese women tend to have rounder chubbier faces, as they try to go for the Anime-doll look.

Sharp faces, to me, are more abundant in west, where the guys have chizzled jaws, sharp noses, sharp eyes, etc.

Japanese men tend to have softer, rounder faces, like an egg, compared to them.

Don't forget, many of these celebs are hand picked. That means they're not going to pic someone who is average. They try to choose a certain look to appeal to the current fad of style.

groink

Post by groink » Sep 16th, '08, 02:50

Keep in mind that there are different races of Japanese people. Ainu is one, which originated in Hokkaido. And then you have a mixture of Mainland Asian and Ainu. People with more Ainu blood tend to have less slanted eyes, thin pointed nose and narrower head. The more northern you travel up Japan, the more Ainu blood the people there have. The Japanese people with the more slanted eyes and wider head have more Mainland Asian than Ainu. The more south you travel, the more you'll find them. Interesting enough, many of my favorite Japanese artists are from Kyushu (Sakai Noriko's one of them), and they tend to have sharper eyes and a rounder head which are features I like.

And then you have Okinawan, among others.

--- groink

azntina

Post by azntina » Sep 16th, '08, 03:06

I don't think so because alot of my japanese friends have round face. Maybe since the shape is regarded as beautiful and preferred by the people there, so the directors choose actors with that face shape to promote. That's why you'll think everyone's like that but, in reality, it's not.

noobee

Post by noobee » Sep 17th, '08, 06:42

if you see ホスト or kyabakura girls, they also tend to have sharp faces..

powerKid

Post by powerKid » Sep 17th, '08, 15:03

What exactly do you mean with "sharp" faces? oO
Yes, Mitsubishi makes a special machine that does that, the 顔のローラー, but it's not sold outside of Japan. They claim it only works on Japanese because of their "unique physiology" but I think the real issue is concern about a renewed Korean Wave. It takes a lot of skill to use properly, so each agency jealously guards their in-house practitioner. A few months ago one of my friends at Ken-On snuck me in for a session and I got my features so sharp I could open letters with my chin and security started gaving me a real hassle at the airport. Now all I hear when I'm in Harajuku is girls saying "surudooooiiiii!"
Seriously??? Explain that :O

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Sep 18th, '08, 04:01

I think it's pretty obvious that gokidora was being sarcastic there...although there is something called a 顔のローラー, it looks like this:

I've seen similar "facial exercise" things sold on QVC:

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Sep 18th, '08, 13:46

groink wrote:Keep in mind that there are different races of Japanese people. Ainu is one, which originated in Hokkaido. And then you have a mixture of Mainland Asian and Ainu. People with more Ainu blood tend to have less slanted eyes, thin pointed nose and narrower head. The more northern you travel up Japan, the more Ainu blood the people there have. The Japanese people with the more slanted eyes and wider head have more Mainland Asian than Ainu. The more south you travel, the more you'll find them. Interesting enough, many of my favorite Japanese artists are from Kyushu (Sakai Noriko's one of them), and they tend to have sharper eyes and a rounder head which are features I like.

And then you have Okinawan, among others.

--- groink
You really know alot. :)
Very interesting.