[Movie Discussion]: Snakes and Earrings ("Hebi ni Piasu

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
lomsie

[Movie Discussion]: Snakes and Earrings ("Hebi ni Piasu

Post by lomsie » Jul 28th, '08, 14:44

Are they seriously going to make a movie of this book? The novel, by Hitomi Kanehara has many disturbing descriptions of brutal violence and murder, not to mention the outright nasty, dirty, brutal sadomasochistic sex scene in the book.

Don't get me wrong, I love this book, I own it. I'm really interested to see where the director will take it, about how they intend to show those intricately described scenes in the book. Pleased to see Oguri Shun in this movie, one of my favorites, he's one of the better actors in Japan, far above many others.

The article --> http://www.tokyograph.com/news/id-1783

"The original novel was the debut work of Hitomi Kanehara, who was only 20 years old when the book was published in 2003. It earned her two prestigious literary honors, the Subaru Prize for Literature and the Akutagawa Prize. Since then, it has been translated and sold in 105 countries.

The story follows the life of a 19-year-old girl named Lui, who begins to experiment with body modification after meeting her boyfriend Ama, and she impulsively decides to get her tongue split like his. Over the course of the novel, her life gradually descends into alcoholism, sadomasochistic sex, and violence.
"

Opinions? has anyone read the book? It's not very long, actually, just about 100 pages.

I'll admit, I'm excited for it.

ainhoa

Post by ainhoa » Aug 4th, '08, 00:16

the 2 minute trailer, if you haven't seen it.

I got so excited when I first heard they were going to make a movie out of this book. The sadomasochistic sex and murder scenes will probably be watered down a lot though.

Snakes and earrings is amazing. Hitomi Kanehara is so hardcore. Her other novel that was translated into English, Autofiction, is also really good.

lomsie

Post by lomsie » Aug 4th, '08, 17:14

Ou, thanks for the link, it looks pretty good. Shiba-san is really different from what I imagined, but he looks pretty good for the part. Ama is exactly as I thought. I hope the actors fill in the shoes well!

I understand that the sex scenes would be watered down, but that brutality was a big part of the book, and not just with the sex, but with the violent fights Ama has, and Lui's piercing and tattoos...like I said, I'm really interested to see how the director takes it. I can't wait for it to be up on d-addicts or somewhere on the web, lol.

ILoveKoyuki

Post by ILoveKoyuki » Nov 13th, '08, 22:29

anyone kno when its comin out on dvd

nanachan707

Post by nanachan707 » Jan 12th, '09, 20:50

I've read it's coming out the 23rd january. you can already pre-order in some sites.
I was also wondering how they'd bring the hardest scenes into the movie. I must admit I had some trouble reading about the stretching of the hole in her tongue... anyway, looking forward to seeing it too!

Modvind

Post by Modvind » Mar 13th, '09, 19:58

I saw the movie recently. I must say, the sex and violence scenes are pretty explicit relative to other Japanese movies. By far the most intense I've seen - not that I usually go for that kind of stuff, so don't take my word for it.

Overall, I really didn't like the movie much. I feel that any real message was lost among the, to me, somewhat unsavoury scenes.

Someone is bound to argue that I missed the entire point, in that those scenes were an integral part in what was communicated. That may be so in the book (not that I read it), but I still feel that the movie disappointed. I expected more based on the trailer.

\end rant :roll

nanachan707

torrent link

Post by nanachan707 » Mar 13th, '09, 20:56

just in case anyone hasn't seen it yet and is interested, avistaz has uploaded two torrents. I haven't checked them out, but I use this page as my main source of asian movies and it works pretty well. anyway, I'm leaving the links (note: you must register to download, but it's a free account):
[Mod edit: Links removed. Please do not directly link to movie torrents or downloads. Letting people know what site to go to should be sufficient. Thanks.]

virilevocalist

Post by virilevocalist » Mar 13th, '09, 21:02

Registration on Avistaz is closed. Any idea when it's reopened? :O

jive talkin

Post by jive talkin » Apr 11th, '09, 06:35

i'm actually quite dissapointed in the novel. its basically written like a blog entry by someone who had been looking at BME for awhile. and implying that people with body modifications are F-ed in the head. (by the actions of the guys she associates with)
i don't see how it got an akutagawa award, its more like a keitai novel than anything. the writing is very simple, but she does redeem herself by admitting she (the character Lui) doesn't have a strong vocabulary.

but, the movie was exactly on point with the novel, from the foreign guy getting her to the club, to the teeth (oguri shun and fujiwara tatsuya) and the ending which she realized what had actually become of her boyfrined.

Modvind

Post by Modvind » Apr 11th, '09, 10:04

virilevocalist wrote:Registration on Avistaz is closed. Any idea when it's reopened? :O
Now, actually. :-)
jive talkin wrote:i'm actually quite dissapointed in the novel. its basically written like a blog entry by someone who had been looking at BME for awhile. and implying that people with body modifications are F-ed in the head. (by the actions of the guys she associates with)
Meh, sounds like an untalented and inexperienced author trying to get attention by shock value only. Guess I shouldn't blame the director for the movie giving me the same feel then... :roll

It's funny though, the overall premise is quite good, how could she not be able to add anything more than that? There's plenty of relevant themes related to body modification, alcoholism, S&M, and violence, yet the movie doesn't ever make a real attempt at disclosing any of those, but more or less attributes Luis alcohol abuse to "bad company". How do you manage to write something so superficial, even if you're inexperienced? Lack of research? Not caring? Or is she just a plain old horrible author? :whistling:

lomsie

Post by lomsie » Apr 11th, '09, 15:50

You also have to remember that you're reading a translation. I've always wanted to read the book in Japanese, because you'd be surprised at the things that get lost in the translation. I remember reading a few Banana Yoshimoto books that got terribly butchered by the English translation, so it really depends on who is taking the book on. Some translators do their work "word for word" (although it's kind of impossible) and others translate according to the intent. So I'm really interested to see how the book reads in Japanese.

I haven't seen the movie, so I can't make any judgments. Is it anywhere on the web for viewing or dL?

MyNinjaWay1984

Avistaz V.I.P entry requirements.... luck!

Post by MyNinjaWay1984 » Apr 20th, '09, 11:37

Hi can anyone tell me how i can get an account in Avistaz?

Everytime I go there registration is closed... so annoying.

I am looking for the Kung Fu Hip Hop soundtrack, anyone know where i can get it????

Thanx

MyNinjaWay1984

Avistaz V.I.P entry requirements.... luck!

Post by MyNinjaWay1984 » Apr 20th, '09, 11:38

Hi can anyone tell me how i can get an account in Avistaz?

Everytime I go there registration is closed... so annoying.

I am looking for the Kung Fu Hip Hop soundtrack, anyone know where i can get it????

Thanx

P.S. i know this is probably not the right place to ask about it but i googled avistaz and this came up as a link.

damascus

my rip

Post by damascus » May 3rd, '09, 23:35

If you want to see this amazing film, my custom rip with custom English subs is on The Pirate Bay and well seeded at the moment This is not like any other Japanese film I have ever seen!

r3ika

Post by r3ika » Jul 21st, '09, 05:47

hhmmm.. question:

does Lui [yuriko yoshitaka] really had those things? it looks real.. :mrgreen:
the split tongue etc.

generalpaper

Post by generalpaper » Jul 28th, '09, 13:03

of course not..haha... but yea really looked real..

=D

fubukiami

Post by fubukiami » Aug 2nd, '09, 03:16

I enjoyed both the novel and the movie. :)