[movie discussion] 5 Centimetres per Second

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
Keizou

[movie discussion] 5 Centimetres per Second

Post by Keizou » May 22nd, '08, 19:57

Summary (taken from my blog)
Tono Takaki and Shinohara Akari are close friends who become separated after graduating from high school because of their families moving. They keep in touch with each other through letter mail, but they’re afraid that they’ll never see each other again. One day, Tono decides to visit Akira.

Just wondering what everyone else though of this

I recently watched it and it's one of the best I've seen...it received the highest rating for a J-movie on my blog (9/10)

I wrote a review of it on my blog, if anyone's interested (includes screenshots)
http://keizou.blogspot.com/2008/05/revi ... econd.html

Also, here's the ANN link:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=6696

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » May 22nd, '08, 21:56

ahh, I've got this downloaded but I haven't gotten the chance to watch it yet. I'll probably watch it tonight and let you know what I think :-)

zenitse

Post by zenitse » May 23rd, '08, 12:19

I find this movie is really amazing. Actually, just as other works of Shinkai Makoto. If you had seen any of his movies, watch this one as well. The animation is approaching perfection, story and music are as great as usually. Simply one of the best :)

333free

Post by 333free » May 23rd, '08, 12:29

It certainly stands out from the crowd, the way the light shines into the train carriage is pure eye candy.
Just sit down and let the movie slowly wash over you.

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 23rd, '08, 14:13

I really want to see this!

sukoon

Post by sukoon » May 23rd, '08, 14:19

it's a must to watch *period*

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » May 23rd, '08, 23:08

Ahh I didnt get to watch it last night. I decided I really wanted the 720P version and finally got it around 530AM :lol
Tonight's the night to watch it for me :thumright:

The Commodore

Post by The Commodore » Aug 24th, '08, 18:28

I read about this in a magazine a while ago, and now that you've reminded me of it, I think I'll go find it!

noobee

Post by noobee » Aug 24th, '08, 18:59

the title is really interesting
This user's account has been suspended. Because the user has ignore the mod's warnings to not reply with short useless messages, just so a spam link will show up on all his reply messages.

The Commodore

Post by The Commodore » Aug 25th, '08, 14:20

I started watching it yesterday.

Throughout the movie, they mention that the speed at which cherry blossoms fall to the ground is 5 cm per second. Cherry blossoms have an important role in the story. That's where the title comes from. : )

MochaValencia

Post by MochaValencia » Aug 29th, '08, 12:30

I've been a fan of Japanese animated films for a while, and I must say, I loved 5 Centimeters per Second. Others may be bothered with the pacing, but I actually find it poetic. It's a bit talky, but I think the storytelling style is effective, not to mention that it matches the mellow mood/theme of the film. Plus, the story is complemented by the artwork. I don't use this word much, but it's breathtaking. It's a much watch for me too! I love it as much as I do Toki wo Kakeru Shuojo. :thumright: