Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Manga done by Non-Japanese, would you read it??

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
rossier

Manga done by Non-Japanese, would you read it??

Post by rossier » Jan 9th, '08, 19:21

First of all, im sorry if this topic have been discussed before.
Second, sorry for my bad english.

I'm just curious, what do you guys think of mangaka outside Japan (other nationality)?
I've read alot of article on the issues and most of it are against it, saying that each country must have their own identity to their drawing.

My personal opinion is, it's normal to be influenced by the manga style drawing. Influenced and copying is different. I knew an artist who copied others, in the end ppl just remember him as someone who tried to be that certain mangaka.Of coz there is no originality and identity. Yet it's different when an artist who are exposed to manga art yet draw in his / her own style and identity. I myself grow up with sailor moon but i dont draw my character to look like them. I draw it as i see it in my mind in my own style.

I myself wouldn't mind reading manga by artist of other nationality as long as the content is original and not trying to be what it's not. It would be really wierd to read a manga that was set up in a America and the main character is a western boy who grow up in New York but bring bento to school T-T" or the girls wearing a Sailor uniform =_=". It's like wearing bikini during winter..

What do you people think? would you read manga done by non-japanese mangaka?

groink

Post by groink » Jan 9th, '08, 19:31

My understanding is that, for years, Japanese manga have been illustrated by outsiders. I remember one of my anime friends telling me this about 15 years ago. His explanation was that the labor in places like South Korea was cheaper.

Regardless, it doesn't matter to me whatsoever. Just because someone learned his craft in Japan or is Japanese by race doesn't mean his work depicts the craft more accurately than someone else. Only an otaku would have the details on who the artist of these books is. The other 98-percent of the manga fan population wouldn't even know.

--- groink

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Jan 9th, '08, 20:00

would i read manga if its non japanese? yes, i have read english translated chinese manga. and to be honest, i prefer the look of chinese manga. the stomriders comic [amongst others] are superb in design and colour. almost looks CGI on a comic

never seen korean manwa so i can't say what that looksl ike

AshanishiLynn

Post by AshanishiLynn » Jan 9th, '08, 20:01

Yes I would!

For one I am an aspiring manga artist myself and I'm black

the manga/anime style is just that, a style
it only originated in Japan, but even that style came from early works of Walt Disney, Archie Comics, Betty Boop, Felix the cat etc, and I hate that people ignore that.

I have seen non japanese/asian
perfect the style already

anyone can do it

I think it's sad that just because it's not made by a non japanese
it would get overlooked.

If japanese can make rap and r&b
why can't non japanese make manga??

The world belongs to everyone

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Jan 9th, '08, 22:13

groink wrote:My understanding is that, for years, Japanese manga have been illustrated by outsiders. I remember one of my anime friends telling me this about 15 years ago. His explanation was that the labor in places like South Korea was cheaper.
I think he was talking about anime being outsourced, actually. There are a lot of anime nowadays that get outsourced to South Korea, China, etc. American animation often gets outsourced to these countries too.

As for manga, there aren't a lot of non-Japanese mangaka that are published in Japan but this is changing. There is a manga, Shin Angyo Onshi, that runs in a seinen magazine and it was written and drawn by 2 Korean guys. I think they've done other manga for this magazine as well. There was also a shoujo manga created by a Korean that ran in Margaret last year. Some manhwa, such as Goong, have also been translated into Japanese.

The seinen manga magazine Morning^2 also had an international manga contest in which the winner's story would be published in the magazine. Many of the contestants were other Asians but the winner was from the UK, IIRC. Kodansha, the publisher of Morning^2, is also currently translating Fred Gallagher's webcomic MegaTokyo into Japanese and will be publishing it in another magazine, Faust.

For doinkies, I don't really care what nationality or race a manga/manhwa/manhua/comic book author is as long as he or she has a good story, good characters, and can draw well.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jan 9th, '08, 22:35

AshanishiLynn wrote: For one I am an aspiring manga artist myself and I'm black
Weren't you an aspiring actress just a few months ago...? :lol

And of course I would. I love Korean manhwa (and I like that I can actually read them in their original language! Yay for knowing Korean!), although I still prefer Japanese manga overall because they just have so many more different titles out there (of course, the Japanese manga market is tons larger).

As for reading manga by non-Asians or Westernized Asians, I still would, but in my opinion those manga just aren't up to par in quality with manga drawn in Asia. There is a small, but lively community of published German mangaka in Germany, but both their drawings as well as their stories/pacing are far inferior to those in the works of famous Japanese mangaka. Not to mention I felt the fact that German people were drawing about people named "Yuki" or "Shouta" and desperately trying to make them act Japanese seemed kind of... silly?

AshanishiLynn

Post by AshanishiLynn » Jan 10th, '08, 05:08

Néa Vanille wrote:
AshanishiLynn wrote: For one I am an aspiring manga artist myself and I'm black
Weren't you an aspiring actress just a few months ago...? :lol
I am both

:salut:

I draw alot of manga and anime

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jan 10th, '08, 07:26

You guys do realize that manga is basically the same as comics? :scratch:
(And before ppl start equating comics to what you find in the funny papers or the superhero variety, I want to remind ppl of the range comics have. e.g. MAUS, any one of Wil Eisner's works, Jimmy Corrigan, Strangers in Paradise, Adventures of TinTin, etc...)

Are you talking about comics drawn in the style of manga (i.e. big eyes, rounded features, etc)? Are you talking about the format (i.e. serial comics that build a story, as opposed to the 3 panel panes in the newspapers)? Or are you actually talking about a Westerner writing and releasing in Japan, targeting the Japanese market?

In any case, as long as the content is good, who cares what nationality the person is? (Besides, there are always pen names you can hide behind :fear:).
Last edited by mizune on Jan 10th, '08, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Jan 10th, '08, 07:35

I like reading Manhwa...since I only read shojo (i don't really like the shounen style of drawing.. though I love shounen anime) ... I find manhwa's a bit more interesting because they seem a bit more.. edger? darker? ah perhaps just the ones i've read.