Stream Japanese TV on your computer with KeyHoleTV

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Apr 1st, '09, 10:37

texastva wrote:Damn all the major broadcast channels are missing from Keyhole TV tonight! I guess I will try to use TVAnts to see if I can see Waratte iitomo tonight even though it will eat up a lot of my bandwidth. F#@Jing Comcast and their bandwidth limit!

Wuueezzzz Diago is on today!
When did comcast ever get a bandwidth limit? oO
I've had them for like 6 years and never heard of it
VSS: Warui Yatsura

ssih

Post by ssih » Apr 1st, '09, 10:46

kuro570 wrote:When did comcast ever get a bandwidth limit? oO
I've had them for like 6 years and never heard of it
Seriously? Everyone has a bandwidth limit. Typical low end is 4 or 5Mbps download and 2Mbps upload. Better (more expensive packages) might give you 10 or 20Mbps.

There are sites that you can go to that will test your speed limit and tell you what it is, but you need to find one that is geographically close to you.

sidewalkrebel

Post by sidewalkrebel » Apr 1st, '09, 22:27

all of the major broadcast networks on keyhole tv are missing on mine aswell. It's been like that for a couple days. :( I have the new version of keyhole tv, is this happening on older versions too?

groink

Post by groink » Apr 1st, '09, 23:12

ssih wrote:Seriously? Everyone has a bandwidth limit. Typical low end is 4 or 5Mbps download and 2Mbps upload. Better (more expensive packages) might give you 10 or 20Mbps.
10 Mbps or more - you're talking about ethernet speeds at that point, as some companies PCs on the same switch can't even speak to each other faster than that. I think 4 or 5 Mbps is pretty darn good for 95-percent of the Internet population. That's why IMO it is better to download everything to a hard disk, and then watch the video from the hard disk, vs streaming directly from the source.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

ssih

Post by ssih » Apr 2nd, '09, 00:04

Well surely - you're only as fast as the weakest link. But as far as your provider goes, they always have some sort of bandwidth limit, even if you're talking directly with their closest server. There HAVE been times when I was downloading a torrent (or more likely a few at a time), and I was speed bound by my provider's limit. When I'm seeding, I'm almost always always hitting my 2Mbps limit.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Apr 2nd, '09, 00:51

With my service, Jnet, I use the HD (640x360) + Kansai package (ABC/Yomiuri/Kansai/MBS/TV Osaka), which streams at 1mbps and I still have moments where my stream hiccups (like right now, ahahaha), so I always download my dramas because nothing beats downloading and receiving a near dvd quality file.

As for missing stations, KeyHole is like PeerCast -- there's someone relaying the stream... cept, I don't think bandwith is piggybacked among everyone listening. Anyway, when a station goes down its probably because the broadcaster turned off his computer or something. KeyHole, the program itself, doesn't air these stations. Its just a relay.

texastva

Post by texastva » Apr 2nd, '09, 01:11

Comcast has a 250GB monthly cap for residential subscribers. So I can't use TV ANTS as much as i would like since it uses more bandwidth when streaming than Keyhole TV does. I prefer to download my files so I can watch them when I can, but that also eats up a lot of bandwidth. Also in my household we like to like to watch any show we missed from broadcast or cable TV on-line. I have MLB TV, and NFL Gameday radio on my PC. Also the future Mrs. gets homesick so watching TV on Keyhole or TV Ants (even with the lag) makes her feel a little bit closer to home, even though none of these services have stations from the Fukushima area.

We average about 240GB a month so we have to really watch our bandwidth usage.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Apr 2nd, '09, 03:05

What? I have never experienced this bandwith cap on Comcast....

texastva

Post by texastva » Apr 2nd, '09, 03:15

This has been recent. Since August of this year because by October we were getting phone calls and e-mails from Comcast saying we were exceeding our bandwidth download/upload limit.
Maybe this is something that is only for the markets that use to belong to Time Warner once Comcast took them over.

Also again all the major Japanese broadcast stations are off Keyhole TV. Lucky for use that RBK is showing Waratte Iitomo so we can watch before calling it a day.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Apr 2nd, '09, 03:18

I guess so, because I use the hell out of my internet connect with Comcast and I never had recieved a notice or phone call saying I exceeded my bandwith. Then again, my area used to be Adelphia before Comcast took over so maybe it just rolls over.

Oh and thanks for the reminder about Waratte Ii tomo because YTV's new Omoikkiri is soooooo boring.

I think KeyHole is a bit ... too hoggy for the quality of the stream. That's why I pay for my stream, I rarely have a drop and my stations are guaranteed there 24/7. I also get extra perks too like downloading and the like. I love it :wub:

texastva

Post by texastva » Apr 2nd, '09, 03:34

Is jnet out of Japan or China? I know it is a bit expensive, but if it worth while then maybe I can see if I can get it so my fiancée can watch her shows in better video quality.

Does Jnet have the lag in the stream as TV ANTs? The one thing about Keyhole that we like is that it is in real time so it feels like we are actually watching TV live in Japan, well maybe on a crappy set, but still.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Apr 2nd, '09, 04:07

Jnet company office is based in Thailand, but all their banks and business is in Japan. But their advertised and supported by Fujisan.com, a Japanese bookstore, and several other websites and they have permission to do this streaming so I find it more legit then... the other options. Its weird, though... to describe... but lemme screencap my stream right now....

HD Stream

MD Stream, when streaming its like.... 480x180 or something.

The HD aired earlier today, I downloaded it cause I wanted to rip a CM from it. The MD aired sometime last week. MD stream tends to get really ... blurry if there's a lot of action going on in the stream (its only 500kps). The LQ is like Keyhole quality but a step up.

I never watched TV ANTs so I don't know. But when I have Toku Mornings with my friends here and in Japan on Saturday nights (we watch Kamen Rider/ Super Sentai) I notice I have like a 30 second lag from my friend in Japan.

I actually watched Horrible Raw's until it went bye bye to find out it was just a relay of Jnet anyway.

I used to get the Kantou/Kansai package but I realized that I watched more Kansai then Kantou and just subscribed to Kansai. I also subscribed to the HD stream. You might wanna jump quick on signing up because they're about to close down their HD registration for the year like... SOON. Its only open to the first 100 customers.

http://us.jnet.ne.jp/

I pay a total of.... 45 - 50 a month right now. But its worth it cause I can download the episodes after airing, I can record them if I know Imma miss a recording. Its waaaaaay worth it.

It can get pricey, because HD on top of the Kantou/Kansai package is 70 dollars a month. But, one region + HD works out to about 55 dollars a month.

There's also the additional channels like Sun, NHK E, NHK G, Animax, WOWOW, etc -- Which are extra.

texastva

Post by texastva » Apr 2nd, '09, 04:22

Thanks for the info. The link you provided did not work but we can always do a web search. TV Ants streams are nice, but they take up a lot of bandwidth (between 34 to 58 kb per second). Plus those ads are annoying.

We thought about buying a slingbox and seeing if it could work in Japan. But I doubt it would work.

texastva

Post by texastva » Apr 2nd, '09, 04:25

Thanks for the link!
We are looking at it now (^_^)

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Apr 2nd, '09, 04:26

If you're living in Japan right now the link won't work as it blocks off Japanese users. Jnet is designed for "Japanese abroad".

Weird though.

I never messed around witih a Slingbox because its just too much money for my tastes.

texastva

Post by texastva » Apr 2nd, '09, 04:35

We are living in Texas right now so I was able to open the link. My future sister in law lives in the Tokyo area so we thought about trying using a slingbox to see if it was possible to sent the TV single to our PC here in Texas.

lwq

Post by lwq » Apr 13th, '09, 11:15

Anyone knows how to watch NHK BS2 or BS-Hi? I wanted to stream them to watch shounen club.

Kati-Chan
Location: Praising Jesus while flying through a GALAXY followed by a GHOST who is singing an UMBRELLA serenade

Post by Kati-Chan » Apr 13th, '09, 12:11

The uriptv hide01 mentioned doesn't work at all for me. KeyholeTV has stopped working for me too again ... seems like my computer is a nexus where no normal scientific computer laws count!

mitch179

Post by mitch179 » Apr 26th, '09, 14:48

I'm so happy a mac version of KHTV is now available.
I must say, I do watch it quite a bit, although Australian internet, being what it is, always makes it hard to stream online TV, but after next week, all that should change for me :D

meowthy

Post by meowthy » May 2nd, '09, 12:46

this is so cool!!!!!!!!!! i am watching full house with japanese subtitles. :) also i am watching the quiz show (sho sakurai)! so happy! :)

dabogy

Post by dabogy » May 4th, '09, 09:12

Awesome, gonna try it out. :mrgreen:

Kati-Chan
Location: Praising Jesus while flying through a GALAXY followed by a GHOST who is singing an UMBRELLA serenade

Post by Kati-Chan » May 8th, '09, 10:22

Is it just me (again) or is asahi on ants tv down?! The other channel's aren't working proper either ?!

btw keyhole tv refuses to work ... again.. I really don't know what this is ... I think my computer is alive :lol

meowthy

Post by meowthy » May 8th, '09, 12:45

mine is working w/o problems at all..

Kati-Chan

Post by Kati-Chan » May 9th, '09, 21:26

For me all Japanese tv channels are down. All j channels as in Fuji TV, TV asahi and TV Tokyo. It's like there is no real stream anymore ?!

reverend

Post by reverend » May 10th, '09, 10:54

looks like fuji is back, tokyo is listed on the tracker but not working, no sign of asahi

Oropher

Post by Oropher » May 12th, '09, 08:01

is it just me or is Jnet dead ?
I've sent them emails with no reply so far ><

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 13th, '09, 00:13

Yeah, looks like its down. I won't sweat it until it lasts until Saturday, cause then that's Quiz Show day for me LOL

den4

Post by den4 » May 13th, '09, 06:45

Well, it's good to know that I'm not the only one with Jnet down....might have to try these streaming tv stuff soon.... :(

meowthy

Post by meowthy » May 15th, '09, 14:10

i really hate that bayfm disappears in keyhole every friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its the only day where i want to listen to that radio show. PS. its massu's master hits. :( twice. it disappeared twice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a prank.

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » May 15th, '09, 18:19

Well you guys we really can't complain, after all its not like we're paying for the service or anything. We should be grateful that someone made the program and that if not most of the time at least somewhat works right? ^.^

den4

Post by den4 » May 15th, '09, 19:38

JNET or J Network Service is a paid service....and it's been down for nearly a week now....with no info on what happened that I can find...sounds suspicious to me....anybody know what is going on?

meowthy

Post by meowthy » May 16th, '09, 12:43

@kuro570 yeah im still thankful that the 3 drama tv stations are always there.

bayfm is back. im sure next friday this will disappear. :I

anyone knows how to watch OR where to watch NHK BS??? keyholeTV doesnt have this channel. THANKS! :]

JosylovesJUN

Post by JosylovesJUN » May 20th, '09, 20:07

Does anyone know a program to watch besides KeyHoleTV?
Cuz I don't know if it's me but KeyHole doesn't work,, yesterday I dl it and it worked normal but today it kept saying "Login times out. Check your Network" and I've clicked on Offline button many times and restart my computer but it still doesn't work.. :-(

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 20th, '09, 20:10

It looks like J Network Services is out of business because I checked my bank account and I got a refund for this month's services.

Wow, that's sad. It was a great service, it sucks it went. But I'm glad that they gave me my money back for services not rendered.

falcom4ever

Post by falcom4ever » May 23rd, '09, 09:56

Hello people !

Last year I was using TVants to watch japanese channels. I found most of japanese channels : FujiTV, AsahiTV, NHK G, NHK BS-1, Animax, etc... I only had to search writing : 日本.

But days after days, the channels was disapearing..... And today..... I couldn't found anymore Animax, NHK, and even FujiTV!!!!!

The only channles I get, are the baseball ones and CGN TV.... If I click on FujiTV I get that :

Yay I like the rainbow bridge, but .... Don't see how instressing is to watch that XD~.

Is it normal with TVants? Do you have the same problems, or I'm I missing something ?

PS: I fink that KeyHole have a too ugly quality to be usable for now :(. freshverse.com is great, but there isn't nhk g or nhk bs-1 :/....

Dino67

Post by Dino67 » May 23rd, '09, 16:23

I have same problem with TVants now too.

Kati-Chan

Post by Kati-Chan » May 25th, '09, 09:30

Yeah, Fuji TV, TV Asahi and TV Tokyo are not streaming anymore. Sometimes they start streaming but nothing is to see / happens. For keyhole tv ... it has stopped working for me again. I always get the login time out error. Meh.

akira117

Post by akira117 » May 26th, '09, 21:43

I like pie
Last edited by akira117 on May 27th, '09, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 26th, '09, 22:22

Great find.. ;) Thank you

Kati-Chan

Post by Kati-Chan » May 27th, '09, 08:54

I dare to ask where those streams are from! Apart from that good quality and stuff but :cry: it seems to be sum TOO good quality for my bandwidth?! For me it goes perfect for a little moment and then the picture keeps lagging until it stops but the sound goes on and on.

reverend

Post by reverend » May 27th, '09, 12:40

i think it might be best if we didnt talk about them at all in an open forum

Kati-Chan

Post by Kati-Chan » May 27th, '09, 12:46

*shuts mouth*

reverend

Post by reverend » May 27th, '09, 17:48

:whistling:

Arashiness

Post by Arashiness » May 27th, '09, 17:53

hm keyhole tv is really lagging for me ,__,
i wonder if there is a solution for this problem ;_; or is it just me X.x

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » May 27th, '09, 18:35

Does keyhole really take up that much bandwidth? I've never had a problem with it outside of the occasional missing channels.

P.S. If I see another Proactiv commercial on it I swear to Raptor Jesus I'm gonna go Maou and murder someone >.<

akira117

Post by akira117 » May 27th, '09, 20:25

I don't know how people can watch keyhole, the quality is so unbelievably crap

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » May 27th, '09, 21:02

akira117 wrote:I don't know how people can watch keyhole, the quality is so unbelievably crap
The more you watch it the less you notice lol
At least for the most part the video isn't out of sync with the sound or cracks up cause if it did I would total stop using it for video.

akira117

Post by akira117 » May 27th, '09, 21:36

kuro570 wrote:
akira117 wrote:I don't know how people can watch keyhole, the quality is so unbelievably crap
The more you watch it the less you notice lol
At least for the most part the video isn't out of sync with the sound or cracks up cause if it did I would total stop using it for video.
Yea I guess I could see that, it's like playing Wolfenstein when it came out the Nazis made you jump. :P

http://www.cescg.org/CESCG-2000/MHadwiger/figure2.jpg

And yes if you did the math on that I was 4 years old when it came out :shhh:

Arashiness

Post by Arashiness » Jun 11th, '09, 14:20

is it just me, or did the TBS disappeared from keyhole O_O just some weeks ago i watched smile and other shows on tbs ôO and then for a few weeks i didn't watch anything with keyhole and now i can't find TBS anymore O__O?!

Chen Yisi

Post by Chen Yisi » Jun 11th, '09, 14:42

I have no problem with TBS, it's still here for me.

Arashiness

Post by Arashiness » Jun 12th, '09, 08:26

does TBS has a japanese name or something now oo?
because there really isn't "TBS" anymore in my list o.o

max789

Post by max789 » Jun 14th, '09, 14:59

Hi

Does anyone know what has happened to Kansai TV on Keyhole TV? It was there yesterday for all programs but now it seems only a baseball program is available.

If anyone knows of a place/way to watch Kansai TV online, I'd appreciate it if he/she could provide some pointers.

Thanks!

flavenne

Post by flavenne » Jun 14th, '09, 15:30

Arashiness wrote:does TBS has a japanese name or something now oo?
TBS, Fuji TV, Nihon TV, TV Tokyo are listed under their Japanese names. If you click on each Japanese name, you'll see the English name. C'mon, it's not that hard :)
Do explore a bit and you'll find TBS again!

Nee-kun

Post by Nee-kun » Jun 15th, '09, 08:10

Tvants was good but now japanese channels don't work... :cry: WHY ? TT-TT

Arashiness

Post by Arashiness » Jun 17th, '09, 13:01

flavenne wrote:
Arashiness wrote:does TBS has a japanese name or something now oo?
TBS, Fuji TV, Nihon TV, TV Tokyo are listed under their Japanese names. If you click on each Japanese name, you'll see the English name. C'mon, it's not that hard :)
Do explore a bit and you'll find TBS again!
ah thx somehow i found it again O_O wondering why i didn't see it for a week O_o yeah it must be there...just wondering what happend with my eyes xD

anitabanita48

help

Post by anitabanita48 » Jun 19th, '09, 15:09

I just got Keyhole tv and it wont let me log in. I dunno what to do and I wanna make sure it work cuz I wanna see da TVXQ concert marathon/ Please help. I press da offline button to log in and it says I cant. :( :-(

xtraordinarilynaked

Post by xtraordinarilynaked » Jun 19th, '09, 15:14

I've been getting the same problem trying to watch VVV6 and it wont work. I don't know what's wrong with it.

blacque

Post by blacque » Jun 19th, '09, 15:59

yeah...it says "login timed out. Check your network"...is everybody else havin the same problem as well...?

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Jun 21st, '09, 01:37

Anyone know if its possible to record the music from the radio stations, I've noticed that almost all the best stuff goes through while I'm sleeping. Since I really only use it for the radio this would help me out greatly.

Teclo

Post by Teclo » Jul 3rd, '09, 05:43

The channel I'm trying to watch is Tokyo MX. Is that on KeyHole normally or has it never been supported? If it hasn't, does anyone know how I could watch it?

Edit
I just re-read the first post and saw that Tokyo MX is mentioned. I can't find it though, I've checked it in English and the writing in Japanese too.

muteki808

Post by muteki808 » Jul 7th, '09, 04:53

i have finally read thru this whole thread and am a bit confused right now. as i understand keyhole tv is of bad quality but seems to be the most reliable. tv ants has very limited amount of japanese channels but better quality and the other tvuplayer i think it was called doesnt have anymore japanese channels. and the streaming sites are all down. well geez i dont know what to downoad right now.... LOL

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Jul 12th, '09, 06:09

This site http://www.streamtorrent.com/ looks good for the future. There are no main Japanese channels yet, but looks promising. Works like torrents works. More people the better.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Jul 13th, '09, 02:42

kuro570 wrote:Anyone know if its possible to record the music from the radio stations, I've noticed that almost all the best stuff goes through while I'm sleeping. Since I really only use it for the radio this would help me out greatly.
Get a audio mixing program like audacity, set your recording settings to run through your stereo mix, not mic, and hit record.

bugmenot3

Post by bugmenot3 » Jul 31st, '09, 13:36

A current list of working channels as of July 31, 2009
Here's something for all of you google lurkers:

Working Video/Audio:
sakura
Swiss TV SF2
CNBC
TV Tokyo
TV Asahi
TBS
MBS 19:30-20:54 / WTV / ABC
KBS
Nihon TV
Angel Navigate (Anime broadcast, not a real channel)
Housou University
Fuji TV
Some channel that starts with Nihon/Japan in Japanese, also says 2Mbps and TVstream2.8.jse

Audio Only or Radio:
HBC
AFN Tokyo Eagle810
inter FM 76.1 Tokyo (good quality)
RF 1422
JOCR AM558 Alternative
AFN-Radio FM (America Forces Network)
AFN-Radio AM (America Forces Network)
MBS Radio 1179 Osaka
J1FM HardcoreJ
ABC Radio 1008 Osaka
FM yokohama 84.7Mhz
J2 Anime/Hardcore ONE

Password protected:
Quicksand1
Quicksand2
Penroi05
test
MK
off
R1
Chu! Channel TV
km
mitest
big

Anime spotted on:
Nihon TV
Tokyo TV
KBS
TV Asahi (I believe)
Angel Navigate (Not an official chanel of Japan)

I can't guarantee this for accuracy. Channels change pretty much every day. I also might have skipped a few because I'm not very fluent in Japanese yet, and I didn't have an input method editor installed on this computer.
Also, Tokyo MX was on yesterday but it's not on today.
For those of you who care, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is said to air today (7/31) at 12:30PM (Central US) on Tokyo MX and I'm sad that it's down :-(

Hope this helps whoever
-anon

kuro570

Post by kuro570 » Jul 31st, '09, 18:13

Ladymercury wrote:
kuro570 wrote:Anyone know if its possible to record the music from the radio stations, I've noticed that almost all the best stuff goes through while I'm sleeping. Since I really only use it for the radio this would help me out greatly.
Get a audio mixing program like audacity, set your recording settings to run through your stereo mix, not mic, and hit record.
Thanks, I'll look into the program. ^.^

fizbaz

keyholetv problem

Post by fizbaz » Aug 23rd, '09, 08:16

somebody plz help i downloaded the program and did everything i shoud have done but when i want to watch a channel the video isnt coming only something like a drawing colored i white wats the problem any help would be appreciated. and if u want i cud send u a pic of it

Proudlikeagod

Post by Proudlikeagod » Aug 30th, '09, 22:33

I have both TVants and Keyhole TV running at the same time and it seems like theyre not playing the same thing when theyre on the same channel. Is it broken or am i stupid?

cocomonk22

Post by cocomonk22 » Aug 31st, '09, 04:14

TvAnts is a bit slower than Keyhole TV. In addition, some of the TvAnts channels are labeled with the wrong channel, so check a tv guide to check which channel is actual playing.
『Comparing Options for Watching Japanese TV from Overseas』
Discount for Japanese TV for D-Addicts members, PM if interested

Nee-kun

Post by Nee-kun » Sep 7th, '09, 11:33

on tvants -> the truth (with the help of keyhole tv) :

TBS -> TBS

Tv Asahi -> NTV (bad quality)

Fuji Tv -> Fuji Tv

NTV -> NTV (good quality)

Tv Tokyo -> Asahi Tv

So, there isn't Tv Tokyo...

If this list change can you update it ?

roselovesice

Post by roselovesice » Sep 8th, '09, 18:36

Hello everyone :)
I was wondering if you can also stream the streaming shows in keyhole tv?
sorry if this was asked already....i didn't read all them pages...
I want to watch Orthros No Inu but it's at 8 am & i have school starting at 7am so i am going to miss it
so i wanted to just know if we can stream it also from keyholeTV althought keyholeTV is a streaming site...
So yeah i'm just wondering...it'll be a pleasure if someone help reply. lol Thanks :D
btw, sorry if this sounds confusing. rofl.

t1n9

Post by t1n9 » Sep 9th, '09, 13:50

just wondering... does this work in Japan? cos it worked for me in singapore and now tt im in japan, it doesnt work anymore (and the tv in my hostel shows stupid things... i cant find tbs and stuff on the channels)

sally chan

thank you

Post by sally chan » Sep 10th, '09, 09:33

so much! this program changed my life! i always dreamed of looking my favorite programs!!! :cheers:

cocomonk22

Post by cocomonk22 » Sep 15th, '09, 09:18

There is also a KeyholeTV for iPhone called i-KeyHoleTV. For OS3 iPhone, make sure to use i-KeyHoleTV_OS3.
『Comparing Options for Watching Japanese TV from Overseas』
Discount for Japanese TV for D-Addicts members, PM if interested

kakudy

Post by kakudy » Sep 27th, '09, 22:44

Sorry to everyone,

sopcast channels were all down,

m(_ _)m
Last edited by kakudy on Jul 10th, '10, 18:32, edited 2 times in total.

yamapi6

Post by yamapi6 » Sep 27th, '09, 23:22

omgg woahh

sugeii desu ne
thanks alot! can't wait to watch some NEWS
Let''s share the wonders of Japanese hairstyles at Tokyo Hairstyles!!