What do Japanese People think of American Remakes?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
Post Reply
User avatar
Karate-ka
Posts: 652
Joined: Sep 19th, '07, 15:18
Location: Netherlands, in a town called Brunssum

What do Japanese People think of American Remakes?

Post by Karate-ka » Jan 1st, '08, 21:06

I dont know if this has been dicussed before, so sorry if it is...

Lately ive been wondering, what do the Japanese People think of the American Remakes of theire Movies???

I know for a fact that most of the Non Asians/Japanese(refering to Asian fans of Japan) Fans, dont like the idea.

As for me i dont like it either , because in my opinion its not original for American Producer/directors to make a remake. They beter licends it and show them original in theaters.

So yeah what do you guys think?
Pretty white t-shirt and pair of jeans, thats all real man need ya know(No they need a job and a Diploma)
Image

User avatar
nicha89
Posts: 57
Joined: Jun 5th, '07, 21:26
Location: Thailand, Finland, USA

Post by nicha89 » Jan 1st, '08, 21:15

i don't know what the japanese think, but I don't like it either. how many people do u think know that they are remakes? i mean, some people probably assume that american movies are original. I haven't seen so many american remakes though. i wonder if they make them as good as the originals
*~Image Image~*
- RabuRetta

User avatar
Mrs-Nishikado
Posts: 169
Joined: Apr 5th, '07, 20:26
Location: yamapi's bed

Post by Mrs-Nishikado » Jan 1st, '08, 21:32

i HATE the idea!!
The film The Ring for example,the american version WAS NOT scary.And in the japanese one i was there pissing my pants off.I think japanese people make wayy better films than the americans

User avatar
Karate-ka
Posts: 652
Joined: Sep 19th, '07, 15:18
Location: Netherlands, in a town called Brunssum

Post by Karate-ka » Jan 1st, '08, 21:44

Next year they even make remakes of Manga/Anime series...

DragonBall... I hate the lead actor like if they know whats the best...

http://www.dragonballmovieblog.com/

Anyway ist not a rumour anymore this year they realy goint to make one.
Pretty white t-shirt and pair of jeans, thats all real man need ya know(No they need a job and a Diploma)
Image

User avatar
Mrs-Nishikado
Posts: 169
Joined: Apr 5th, '07, 20:26
Location: yamapi's bed

Post by Mrs-Nishikado » Jan 1st, '08, 21:56

I HATE IT WHEN americans make anime and manga into english!
its sooo frikin unbearable,even thought im a dbz fan i aint gonna watch it!
Image

User avatar
Hanazawa Rui
Posts: 187
Joined: Feb 4th, '07, 12:01
Location: U>A<E - Dubai

Post by Hanazawa Rui » Jan 1st, '08, 22:02

about the movies first i didn't know that they where remarks but then when i found out i couldn't believe it ...............n i waz like NOWAY but then when i made some researches i got really pissed ............. when i heard about the ring (japanese) HAVE TOO SEE IT ..... i downloaded it but im scared to watch it :P :P :P


well i really hate the idea of those American movies that are remarked
DeVOtioN
Image

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2023
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Jan 1st, '08, 22:11

Repeating what has been said in other topics:

- The primary reason for the remakes is that most Americans are uncomfortable watching Asians. You won't hear of this on Asian-driven message boards. But in many other message boards and blogs, this is a HUGE issue among viewers. Re-producing Asian movies with American-like faces is necessary. Google around for "cultural identification".

- Dub is better than subbed. Most Americans cannot read English subtitles. Seriously! Reading comprehension in the U.S. isn't as high has in other parts of the world. Also, "speed" reading of subtitles is difficult for those who aren't used to watching video with subtitles.

- Some Asian movies contain concepts that are not digestible by American viewers. Especially when the content involves things like spirituality, religion, traditions and customs, etc. In the re-makes, quite often they're re-written to fit the taste of America.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

User avatar
yuidiot
Posts: 2
Joined: Nov 9th, '05, 19:18

Post by yuidiot » Jan 1st, '08, 22:24

It all comes down to money. The original Shall We Dance? was well received by critics when it was released in the US, but had a limited distribution. The re-make had Jennifer Lopez so it naturally had national distribution and made a bit more, despite being far inferior to the original. It's not just re-makes of Japanese movies, I've found that the original from ANY country is always better than the big budgeted U.S Hollywood remake.

User avatar
atskv9
Posts: 730
Joined: Aug 6th, '07, 00:09

Post by atskv9 » Jan 1st, '08, 22:34

I'll second what groink said about subtitles. I have few very friends who actually enjoy watching with subtitles over a dubbed version like me. Then again, I have very few friends who actually enjoy Asian media like me. It really seems like some Americans don't have the attention span or are able to pay attention to more than just watching the video at once, much less watching something a movie that doesn't have explosions every 5 minutes.

User avatar
jigenbakuda
Posts: 107
Joined: Nov 18th, '07, 04:43
Location: Jacksonville Florida

Post by jigenbakuda » Jan 1st, '08, 23:26

I know its not drama, but the resident evil movies... the old school mario brothers movies, power rangers, I could go on, but, they all suck, why? Because they should of stayed true to the source material. I have no problem with an american remake, if it stays close to the source material, or just tell me its different from the source material (like advent children, it was ff7, but it was another story regardless of when the movie took place[oops that was a japanese remake]), thats acceptable. But most remakes take everything I like about the source material out and then give it to me.

I prefer subtitles, I watch english stuff with sub-titles... But I too, know many a person who can not stand them. But I've been watching sub-titled japanese stuff since the mid 90's, so I guess its different for me. I ABHOR english voice acting! If it is dubbed, I will not watch it.

But I understand the reasons why its changed and americanified. Movie companies would rather leave the group of people who made it popular and serve the movie to a new fan base, I guess a richer fan base ??? and I also agree with all of groink's points
So bored that you are reading my siggie, then be bored at my blog - Zebes "if one sets a trap, is it not the victims fault for falling in?" - Toga Kiryuu
Image

User avatar
mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Posts: 2002
Joined: Dec 15th, '03, 17:45
Location: undercover admin

Post by mizune » Jan 2nd, '08, 00:51

I thought this was supposed to be a discussion about what Japanese ppl thought about the remakes as opposed to what we personally think.... ^_^;

I'm not Japanese, but I don't think they mind as much as you guys do. More than anything else, I have a feeling they'd be more curious (or incredulous) as to why anybody would want to be remaking them in the first place. Look at the latest project Hollywood is choosing to remake: Dragonball? O_o; Now if that doesn't generate a WTF, I don't know what will... ^_^;;;

Besides that, the reason why I say I think they'd be curious is that it's only within the past few years that Japanese cinema has really found its way out of the art house and into the minds of the mainstream population. In the past, most Japanese ppl I've met actually prefer American movies over their domestic productions because they frankly thought Japanese movies were boring. That stylistic "quietness" praised by critics that is often associated with Japanese art films doesn't do anything but bore your average movie viewer -- whether that person is Japanese or not and especially not at the price of a movie ticket in Japan. And I'm not even going to get into the horror film industry...

Another thing to consider is that one of the unique aspects of Japanese society is the affinity to take something they like and adapt it to whatever and however it fits them the best. I don't know that anybody would see a remake as an offense (Well, they might after they see the final product, but that's a different conversation. I'm just talking in general about the idea of a remake :fear: ). Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Anywho, I may be completely wrong, but... meh... that's my opinion about what most Japanese ppl would think.

In any case, there are so few American remakes coming from Japanese sources compared to Korean that I don't know if it really qualifies as a trend to get bent out of shape about. I also defy anybody who makes huge general statements that all American remakes are crap. I can give a dozen examples of remakes that worked well, but for Japanese sources the Magnificent Seven is a great movie and a great tribute to Kurosawa's Seven Samurai.
Read the D-Addicts FAQ before asking questions.
No movies here, so please don't request. Check the Asian Movie Torrent Links.

User avatar
doink-chan
Posts: 249
Joined: May 17th, '05, 22:21
Location: The happy land of doinks
Contact:
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Jan 2nd, '08, 01:14

I'll agree with what mizune said, though I do admit that the DB live-action film sounds really, really doinky. ^^;;

For that matter, there have been J-dramas/J-movies that were remakes. Taiyou no Uta was a very loose remake of a Hong Kong movie. My Boss My Hero was based on the Korean movie of the same name. And there is the upcoming My Sassy Girl J-drama which will change the plot significantly.

Likewise, there are K-dramas and K-movies that are remakes. There was a Korean movie remake of Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai o Sakebu a few years ago, and 101st Proposal and White Tower were both remakes of old J-dramas.

Let's not even get into the parade of Taiwanese dramas based on shoujo and josei manga (with some seinen mixed in)...though these are more "adaptations" than "remakes".

For me, the idea of a remake is not necessarily bad...it depends on how the remake's handled. For all I know the Dragon Ball movie might be excellent. But I think it has a much larger chance of being doinky.
Image

User avatar
8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 630
Joined: Sep 29th, '05, 03:17
Location: Fansub addict
Contact:

Post by 8thSin » Jan 2nd, '08, 03:17

I'm not Japanese either, though I speak nearly fluent Japanese.

There were many Hollywood remakes I thought were crap, but I really liked Godzilla, which was just not possible with a typical Japanese budget.
CG >>>>> Guy in a costume wreaking havok vs plastic model.
Even Gojira 2000, made a year later, was a piece of crap compared to it. (but I have to admit, there is one scene in 1984 Gojira that I would never forget, and "Gojira vs Mosura" was just awesome)

For exactly the same reason, I'm glad Dragonball movie is going to be made in the US. CG might be cheaper now, but it still cost a fortune for ones that are convincing.
It might be still be a huge mistake to make a live-action movie of Dragonball, but at least it's guaranteed enough money will be spent for realistic CG and possibly an experienced Chinese martial arts director.

User avatar
techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 597
Joined: Oct 18th, '04, 02:37
Location: 99% sure, Studying.

Post by techie » Jan 2nd, '08, 03:42

I agree with all of the above.

And yes I'm not Japanese, but "interpreting a cultural side of it" I guess you could say we dont need to ask them what they think. Instead ask yourself what you would say about your nations movies being altered to suit the "taste and litteral abilities" of another nation. If the US is that good, why dont they learn to read first is what I always said, and i say that with a sense not to stir up bad feelings from the US populus towards the rest of the world, but they should perhaps give their own board of education a solid kick in the complexity to begin with.

On another topic, what yupsets me even more, provided I recall the quotes correctly here...

The lead actress in the US version of Ringu, made a statement after the release of Ring II to the effect,

"It is flattering to see so many other movies copying artistic elements from the Ring, as copying is the best display of flattery to the original." - implying Ring I and Ring II in US edition was some sort of an original.

:blink :blink :blink

Is she solid thick or just totally clueless as to where The Original was made??? :crazy:
:blink $zipCode = strtoupper($zipCode); // it is not the case of being sensitive... XD

Kazuya_
Posts: 141
Joined: Jun 30th, '07, 10:32
Contact:

Post by Kazuya_ » Jan 2nd, '08, 03:47

I am Japanese-American but I don't qualify for this topic. However, the native Japanese that I know, don't seem to have an generalized sense of indignation about Japanese entertainment remade into Hollywood adaptations.

The possible exception would be a specific project that is near and dear to a person's heart and the fear that the US version would totally butcher what they cherish.

The one thing that I notice of the Japanese that I know, at least in the DA demographic, is that they are very much into western culture and entertainment, whether that be music, fashion, movies, etc... They're also much more interested in seeing Hollywood movies rather than Japanese ones, which seem to come off as boring.

I know that when I 've asked them if they would like to see a movie in a theater here, they 've all been excited about seeing a US movie, in spite of the fact that it was in english and they didn't understand the language as well.

At least this is according to the Japanese that I know.

GhstDreamer
Posts: 229
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 01:15
Location: In Kant's Transcendental Mind

Post by GhstDreamer » Jan 2nd, '08, 03:52

Mrs-Nishikado wrote:I think japanese people make wayy better films than the americans
That's a bit of an overgeneralization. Just as there are a crapload of lousy American films, there are a crapload of lousy Japanese films - basically like any other country.

Paraphrasing what groink already repeated from other posts - in general the average North American (including us Canadians) aren't comfortable watching a cast of all Asian faces on screen - exactly the same as listening to an Asian band even if they are fluent in English. An all Asian cast pretty much freaks people out. A sprinkling of an Asian doctor, scientist, computer engineer or accountant here and there on television and on film is digestable and understandable but an all Asian cast doing your average daily routines is viewed as strange and alienish. So hence, the American remakes of Asian films like The Ring, Infernal Affairs, Ju-on, Shall We Dance, etc. Thank-god they haven't found a way of remaking Kung-Fu Hustle...lol...

Being non-Japanese, I have no way of knowing whether they like remakes of their films. Personally, I myself don't like remakes of Hong Kong films - kind of makes me grimace thinking they're planning to remake of Enter the Phoenix and Confession of Pain.
Image

User avatar
techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 597
Joined: Oct 18th, '04, 02:37
Location: 99% sure, Studying.

Post by techie » Jan 2nd, '08, 03:57

Kazuya_ wrote:I know that when I 've asked them if they would like to see a movie in a theater here, they 've all been excited about seeing a US movie, in spite of the fact that it was in english and they didn't understand the language as well.
In all fairness, I guess it's the same reasoning behind many of us non-asians being here.
"The grass is always greener on the other side..."

In case you notice a blunt twist in my posts from previous years, Its the only new-years resolution that will be kept by me for this year.
Although painfully obvious and sometimes rudly blunt, no frills, no fuss, just plain honest.
(and as I told my staff members and colleagues, if you dont like it, go away :D)

ok that last is with a sense of wry humor.
:blink $zipCode = strtoupper($zipCode); // it is not the case of being sensitive... XD

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2023
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Jan 2nd, '08, 04:24

techie wrote:
Kazuya_ wrote:I know that when I 've asked them if they would like to see a movie in a theater here, they 've all been excited about seeing a US movie, in spite of the fact that it was in english and they didn't understand the language as well.
In all fairness, I guess it's the same reasoning behind many of us non-asians being here.
"The grass is always greener on the other side..."

In case you notice a blunt twist in my posts from previous years, Its the only new-years resolution that will be kept by me for this year.
Although painfully obvious and sometimes rudly blunt, no frills, no fuss, just plain honest.
(and as I told my staff members and colleagues, if you dont like it, go away :D)

ok that last is with a sense of wry humor.
What I find interesting is that Americans tend to want everything interpreted for them. They don't have the brain cells, imagination or the energy to watch something they don't quite understand. Everything must be given to them on a platter of sorts - and pre-chewed so they don't need to spend precious time and energy digesting, but still feel filled and satisfied. It is quite like eating white bread instead of multi-grain... Instead of burning the body's energy processing the food, they prefer the food to just go straight from their mouth to the toilet. This is why American TV and motion pictures are full of over-simplified storylines and explosions, and why scripts need to be re-written.

I believe that most people outside of the West prefer entertainment where a lot of thinking and logical reasoning is required. Many Asian movies, for example, has that "zen" like tone to them. I myself really don't like Japanese movies for this exact reason. I found that over the years, many of the Japanese movies are slow moving, and quite frankly they end quite strangly - and I don't mean in the sense where they're preparing for a sequel. It ends in a way where they want you to walk out of the theater and ponder over it and come up with your own conclusions. That's basically what I mean by creating movies for the thinking man. In fact, Asian culture in general is quite like this!

If I was a bobora, I would be totally insulted by the American re-adaptations. Dating a bobora tought me a few things. For one, there's a very strong sense of pride among the Japanese. Every day, my girlfriend needs to establish her national pride by constantly reminding me that Japan makes better movies, TV dramas, shoes, eye drops, sushi, electronics.... But to be honest, unless you leave Japan or are in tune with things outside of Japan, the Japanese really don't have a clue as to what is being done with movies like JU-ON and such. Exact same thing in America - unless you're in the know, you will NOT know that The Ring is a remake of a Japanese movie. So if an American actor or actress doesn't know that their current roles were previously done by Sakai Noriko or Ito Misaki, you REALLY can't hold it against them. D-Addicts are in touch with all aspects of planet Earth. But outside of here, pretty much many of us in the West are ignorant of what goes on outside.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

User avatar
InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 715
Joined: Jan 31st, '06, 21:32
Location: San Clemente

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Jan 2nd, '08, 07:27

I don't think Japanese people care. Japanese people being those that are born and raised in Japan.
ありません

User avatar
Karate-ka
Posts: 652
Joined: Sep 19th, '07, 15:18
Location: Netherlands, in a town called Brunssum

Post by Karate-ka » Jan 2nd, '08, 09:29

Still waiting for a Japanese to anwser LOL but okey... i know now that Groink told a bit why they are remade... However i stil prefer the original, and even if they were remakes of manga i dont mind because eventualy the story is based on japanese culture. If like Dragon Ball is going to be remade in a live action, they have to change a bit the story so the western viewers may understand the story. As an fan of Dragon Ball for me thats a dissapointment. Though ive read on that Blog(watch my second post in this thread in the first page) that this movie is going to have allot of asian influence(dont think its strange becaus both director and producers are asians and are fan of dragonball)

Still im excited for this, but im not happy with the lead... Because he is a American and not asian.

Some fans who actualy like the lead say: Yep Goku is alien so he dont have to be asian. Well they are right but if you do that with Superman how do you think the fans would react??? Like giving the roll to an Afro American or a Asian? The Image of Super Man is pretty much western... same goes for Goku that for his image being asian like.

So thats an example off what i think that original is better.
Most of those remakes have to be changed because of the asian influence. Eventualy they change it too much that people dont think its scary or good.

But anyway here is a small list of what i could find about remake movies.

2008:
One Missed Call:American remake of Chakushin Airi
Speed Racer: From the anime with the same name.
Dragon Ball: Yep the legendary martial arts anime

Rumoured:
Battle royal
Be with you(Ima Ai Ni Yukimasu)
Pretty white t-shirt and pair of jeans, thats all real man need ya know(No they need a job and a Diploma)
Image

dudesterific
Posts: 17
Joined: May 21st, '07, 08:00
Location: Oceanside, CA

Post by dudesterific » Jan 2nd, '08, 09:49

This may not answer the original post but I feel like i have to respond to such an offensive post by groink towards Americans.
groink wrote:What I find interesting is that Americans tend to want everything interpreted for them. They don't have the brain cells, imagination or the energy to watch something they don't quite understand.
Just wondering where you base this statement from? There are a lot of american shows that are smart, witty, and intelligent. You, being here in D-addicts, is a testament that you prefer Asian shows over American shows but that doesnt mean Asian shows are any better than American shows. Its just your preference. They are like apples and oranges, just because you might like an orange over an apple doesnt mean that an apple isn't just as good.

As for the choice of movies that are made, i think majority of them are action, cg filled, explosive movies, not because as you said, "americans don't have the brain cells, imagination..yada yada" but because they are what people want to watch and also have a higher likely hood of earning more money. Name those brilliant masterpieces that win academy awards and compare their earnings to an oscar winning action movie and you'll see a big difference in money made.

After a long day at work, would i rather watch an intelligent thought provoking film or an action, explosion filled, cg generated film/dumb retarded will make me laugh my ass off film. I choose the latter.

-- 29 yr asian male born and raised till 15 in asia and now living in Washington State.

AshanishiLynn
Posts: 206
Joined: May 15th, '07, 08:15

Post by AshanishiLynn » Jan 3rd, '08, 17:41

Who cares??

I don't
its not even a big of a deal people make it out to be
if you don't want a remake simply don't watch it.

However
the originals usually are better than the remakes

but please don't go saying americans don't have any imagination
or creativity, I can name a load of amazing american movies

anyone seen enchanted yet??
that took a great imagination and alot of creativity to do a good film like that

and also Hairspray
I'm talking about both the movies and the broadway play

now as for dragon ball and the lead being caucasian
it's true Goku is an alien so he doesnt have an ethnicity, and who is to say Goku is an asian man to begin with? well I guess his name explains it all..but still just because he has black hair and it sticks up that automatically means he's asian?? I think its fair enough Goku can be played by a white guy, hell Cinderella is caucasian but she was played by Brandy a black girl.

I actually think the guy potraying Goku looks alot like him anyway and that had alot to do with the casting.

and you also have to consider, if something like "Blade" were in the hands of the japanese
do you think Blade would be black??? Hell no he'd be japanese.

and I wouldnt call Dragon Ball or Speed Racer remakes
they are more like adaptations or live action

People were also complaining about Speed being played by a caucasian as well
...but I think the casting for that film is dead on and I think the characters are white to begin with.

User avatar
Karate-ka
Posts: 652
Joined: Sep 19th, '07, 15:18
Location: Netherlands, in a town called Brunssum

Post by Karate-ka » Jan 3rd, '08, 18:06

AshanishiLynn wrote:
now as for dragon ball and the lead being caucasian
it's true Goku is an alien so he doesnt have an ethnicity, and who is to say Goku is an asian man to begin with? well I guess his name explains it all..but still just because he has black hair and it sticks up that automatically means he's asian?? I think its fair enough Goku can be played by a white guy, hell Cinderella is caucasian but she was played by Brandy a black girl.

I actually think the guy potraying Goku looks alot like him anyway and that had alot to do with the casting.
Well of course but still... most of the fans got the image of goku being a asian/alien.
And the samething if they do this putting a asian as Superman for a big movie, most fans would be pissed right?

Just to say Goku is the asian version of Superman.

Any way ive read somewhere they are rushing with the movie. I hope they wil not dissapoint the fans
Pretty white t-shirt and pair of jeans, thats all real man need ya know(No they need a job and a Diploma)
Image

User avatar
Kanin
Posts: 92
Joined: May 14th, '04, 09:38

Post by Kanin » Jan 3rd, '08, 18:23

Here are more remakes. Please let me know if there are more to be added or if there are any corrections.


Hollywood remakes of Asian movies:

Dark Water
Eight Below
Last Man Standing (Yojimbo)
Pulse (Kairo)
The Departed (Infernal affairs)
The Grudge
The Grudge 2 (sequel to a remake)
The Lake House
The Ring
The Ring Two (sequel to a remake)
The Magnificent Seven
Shall we dance
One Missed Call
The Eye



List of planned remakes:

Addicted
A tale of two sisters
Battle Royale
BE WITH YOU
Dragon Ball
Ikiru
My Sassy Girl
Oldboy
Shutter
The Ring3
The secret
The Turning

User avatar
techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 597
Joined: Oct 18th, '04, 02:37
Location: 99% sure, Studying.

Post by techie » Jan 3rd, '08, 18:32

"old boy" was already remade in Bollywood 2005 I believe to Hindi.

I wonder if the US audience would be up for the concept of
Old Boy as a movie in the same style as protrayed in its Korean original.
It was reasonably well received on some theaters in the UK as far I recall.
(as an original)
:blink $zipCode = strtoupper($zipCode); // it is not the case of being sensitive... XD

User avatar
Karate-ka
Posts: 652
Joined: Sep 19th, '07, 15:18
Location: Netherlands, in a town called Brunssum

Post by Karate-ka » Jan 3rd, '08, 18:35

hey thanks
Pretty white t-shirt and pair of jeans, thats all real man need ya know(No they need a job and a Diploma)
Image

User avatar
Kanin
Posts: 92
Joined: May 14th, '04, 09:38

Post by Kanin » Jan 3rd, '08, 19:29

I am not a Japanese either:

But, personally I think this wave of remaking Asian movies is bad because these remakes are not brushed-up remakes of a black and white movie in the 50's. These movies are practically sold the moment their success is a fact. These remakes have become an industry of it's own and are nothing but rip-offs and a sure investment in a product already proven successful. In a sense they could be seen as a compliment but I see them as nothing else then a purchase of an idea or a script.

I also dislike this remake wave because these movies are usually facing a cultural strip-down just to appeal to a Western taste and custom which makes it even more obvious that this is just a financial act instead of a first small step to spread Asian movies. I honestly don't see the point in seeing an Asian successful movie Americanized with second rated Hollywood actors. Or why would I see Casino with an out of synced dubbed DeNiro. :lol

I even hate dubbed movies. In my country they always dub Disney movies and other cartoon movies. Regular movies are never dubbed. They dub because children can see and understand them but I hardly know any adults who prefer them. It's kind an insult to the effort of the original voice actors. To have Woody Allen in Antz or Eddie Murphy in Shrek is an asset and nothing else. To replace them is a big change imo.

Btw, I believe remakes do get attention in original countries and people get affected by them. Maybe they don't prefer them but I'm sure people curious enough to see them. I think I read The Ring made much more in Japan than Ringu itself.

AshanishiLynn
Posts: 206
Joined: May 15th, '07, 08:15

Post by AshanishiLynn » Jan 3rd, '08, 19:55

I don't see how the wave of remakes are bad

it's just another take on something

they remake american songs all the time in asia and no one cares about that
in fact in korea they are known to make songs that sound incredibly similar to american song
without permission

yet no one gets as up set as americans remaking asian films

User avatar
kurodreams
Posts: 64
Joined: Jan 7th, '07, 17:04
Contact:

Post by kurodreams » Jan 3rd, '08, 20:37

I ABSOLUTELY HATE REMAKES T.T
first of all, the movies/dramas/animes that the japanese made shouldnt be reproduced over again its just....like stealing a foreign country's good stuff(LOL) just because they cant think of there own.

especially wit the anime >.> americans dub the anime with HORRIBLE dubs and license it as if it was originally theirs.
AshanishiLynn wrote: they remake american songs all the time in asia and no one cares about that
in fact in korea they are known to make songs that sound incredibly similar to american song
without permission
Thats because american people/whites(not to be racist >.>but yea) dont listen to asian music...they could care less xD. but then koreans/japanese/chinese like me have pride in their home country xD so heh.
and korean songs, in my opinion O_O dont sound like american songs. very few.

User avatar
Mrs-Nishikado
Posts: 169
Joined: Apr 5th, '07, 20:26
Location: yamapi's bed

Post by Mrs-Nishikado » Jan 3rd, '08, 20:49

I not japanese either!!:P
and they are going to do a remake of my sassy girl?? cool,i wouldnt mind those kind of drama's.
and i agree with some people not being able to watch asian stuff because they dont understand it and cant be bothered to read the subtitles or read slow![happens].

AshanishiLynn
Posts: 206
Joined: May 15th, '07, 08:15

Post by AshanishiLynn » Jan 3rd, '08, 21:24

kurodreams wrote:I ABSOLUTELY HATE REMAKES T.T
first of all, the movies/dramas/animes that the japanese made shouldnt be reproduced over again its just....like stealing a foreign country's good stuff(LOL) just because they cant think of there own.

especially wit the anime >.> americans dub the anime with HORRIBLE dubs and license it as if it was originally theirs.
AshanishiLynn wrote: they remake american songs all the time in asia and no one cares about that
in fact in korea they are known to make songs that sound incredibly similar to american song
without permission
Thats because american people/whites(not to be racist >.>but yea) dont listen to asian music...they could care less xD. but then koreans/japanese/chinese like me have pride in their home country xD so heh.
and korean songs, in my opinion O_O dont sound like american songs. very few.
Well I was talking about asian people who get mad at americans for remaking there films

but just because white people don't listen to asian music like you claim
doesnt make it okay for k-pop artists to rip off american songs.

and if you think very few korean songs sound like american songs
then I need to enlighten you.

Big Bang Lalaa and B2K-Uh huh
Hyori-Depth and Ciara's 1,2 step
Hyori- Get ya and Britney Spears Do Something
Shinwah Brand New and Beyonce Crazy In love
Se7en La la la and Faith Evans True Love
Se7en Oh my girl and Justin Timberlake's Rock your body

not saying all of them are rip offs because I am a huge Se7en fan
but youtube those songs and you will see how similar they are too each other

I know this is about american remaking asian films
but I just felt the need to express what I just posted because if asians can remake american songs, why can't we remake there films?

Ayulyn
Posts: 130
Joined: Jan 9th, '06, 07:00
Location: Alaska

Post by Ayulyn » Jan 7th, '08, 06:14

groink wrote:
techie wrote:
Kazuya_ wrote:I know that when I 've asked them if they would like to see a movie in a theater here, they 've all been excited about seeing a US movie, in spite of the fact that it was in english and they didn't understand the language as well.
In all fairness, I guess it's the same reasoning behind many of us non-asians being here.
"The grass is always greener on the other side..."

In case you notice a blunt twist in my posts from previous years, Its the only new-years resolution that will be kept by me for this year.
Although painfully obvious and sometimes rudly blunt, no frills, no fuss, just plain honest.
(and as I told my staff members and colleagues, if you dont like it, go away :D)

ok that last is with a sense of wry humor.
What I find interesting is that Americans tend to want everything interpreted for them. They don't have the brain cells, imagination or the energy to watch something they don't quite understand. Everything must be given to them on a platter of sorts - and pre-chewed so they don't need to spend precious time and energy digesting, but still feel filled and satisfied. It is quite like eating white bread instead of multi-grain... Instead of burning the body's energy processing the food, they prefer the food to just go straight from their mouth to the toilet. This is why American TV and motion pictures are full of over-simplified storylines and explosions, and why scripts need to be re-written.

I believe that most people outside of the West prefer entertainment where a lot of thinking and logical reasoning is required. Many Asian movies, for example, has that "zen" like tone to them. I myself really don't like Japanese movies for this exact reason. I found that over the years, many of the Japanese movies are slow moving, and quite frankly they end quite strangly - and I don't mean in the sense where they're preparing for a sequel. It ends in a way where they want you to walk out of the theater and ponder over it and come up with your own conclusions. That's basically what I mean by creating movies for the thinking man. In fact, Asian culture in general is quite like this!

If I was a bobora, I would be totally insulted by the American re-adaptations. Dating a bobora tought me a few things. For one, there's a very strong sense of pride among the Japanese. Every day, my girlfriend needs to establish her national pride by constantly reminding me that Japan makes better movies, TV dramas, shoes, eye drops, sushi, electronics.... But to be honest, unless you leave Japan or are in tune with things outside of Japan, the Japanese really don't have a clue as to what is being done with movies like JU-ON and such. Exact same thing in America - unless you're in the know, you will NOT know that The Ring is a remake of a Japanese movie. So if an American actor or actress doesn't know that their current roles were previously done by Sakai Noriko or Ito Misaki, you REALLY can't hold it against them. D-Addicts are in touch with all aspects of planet Earth. But outside of here, pretty much many of us in the West are ignorant of what goes on outside.

--- groink

Elitist.

User avatar
Mrs-Nishikado
Posts: 169
Joined: Apr 5th, '07, 20:26
Location: yamapi's bed

Post by Mrs-Nishikado » Jan 7th, '08, 21:42

AshanishiLynn wrote:
kurodreams wrote:I ABSOLUTELY HATE REMAKES T.T
first of all, the movies/dramas/animes that the japanese made shouldnt be reproduced over again its just....like stealing a foreign country's good stuff(LOL) just because they cant think of there own.

especially wit the anime >.> americans dub the anime with HORRIBLE dubs and license it as if it was originally theirs.
AshanishiLynn wrote: they remake american songs all the time in asia and no one cares about that
in fact in korea they are known to make songs that sound incredibly similar to american song
without permission
Thats because american people/whites(not to be racist >.>but yea) dont listen to asian music...they could care less xD. but then koreans/japanese/chinese like me have pride in their home country xD so heh.
and korean songs, in my opinion O_O dont sound like american songs. very few.
Well I was talking about asian people who get mad at americans for remaking there films

but just because white people don't listen to asian music like you claim
doesnt make it okay for k-pop artists to rip off american songs.

and if you think very few korean songs sound like american songs
then I need to enlighten you.

Big Bang Lalaa and B2K-Uh huh
Hyori-Depth and Ciara's 1,2 step
Hyori- Get ya and Britney Spears Do Something
Shinwah Brand New and Beyonce Crazy In love
Se7en La la la and Faith Evans True Love
Se7en Oh my girl and Justin Timberlake's Rock your body

not saying all of them are rip offs because I am a huge Se7en fan
but youtube those songs and you will see how similar they are too each other

I know this is about american remaking asian films
but I just felt the need to express what I just posted because if asians can remake american songs, why can't we remake there films?
true!
and then there is that big bang-this love wich was originally marron5-this love.
ll im saying is that if amerian people mae remakes they should make them good!
Image

johnny_vee
Posts: 2
Joined: Dec 6th, '07, 17:02
Location: Manila

Post by johnny_vee » Jan 12th, '08, 15:00

Well, i have to reiterate what groink said wherein he pointed out that Americans prefer to watch White Americans do a remake of an Asian movie (think of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai and the Steve McQueen-led Magnificent Seven) and as groink said, because of "cultural identification." I would have to score the attitude of some Americans regarding this "cultural identification" when the truth of the matter is, America is a "nation of immigrants."

Regarding the remakes of "Asian movies" into "American movies," I see no problem with that, and in fact I applaud this because it not only proves that there are real talents in this part of the world, and the simple idea of Americans remaking them with their technology would bridge the East and West together to create a fusion that will be beneficial to viewers wherever they are. People shouldn't hate Americans for sharing those "remaked movies" to a much broader audience.

murdocknakashima
Posts: 30
Joined: Apr 12th, '05, 09:36

Post by murdocknakashima » Jan 18th, '08, 09:34

Not that it should matter that much, but just an FYI for you guys ... Groink started d-addicts. Not to say that his opinion is worth more than everyone else's, but just thought you guys should know who you guys are ripping.

My opinion ... we American's remake Asian movies, Asian music artists use beats/riffs/tunes from American music ... I call that even. Most of the remakes (both ways) aren't enormous hits, so I don't think either side cares too much. Until an Asian movie remakes brings in "Titanic" type numbers or an American song album remake brings in "Thriller" type numbers, this won't ruffle any feathers on either side of the ocean.

User avatar
ajewell
Posts: 105
Joined: Jul 17th, '04, 05:56
Contact:

Post by ajewell » Jan 18th, '08, 10:01

murdocknakashima wrote:Not that it should matter that much, but just an FYI for you guys ... Groink started d-addicts. Not to say that his opinion is worth more than everyone else's, but just thought you guys should know who you guys are ripping.
I thought jholic did...?

And even if what you said is true, why should it matter? People are still entitled to their own opinions...
Image
Watching: Flower Boy Ramen Shop -- Color Of Woman -- What''s Up?

murdocknakashima
Posts: 30
Joined: Apr 12th, '05, 09:36

Post by murdocknakashima » Jan 18th, '08, 11:26

If you read what I wrote again, you'll see that I said that it doesn't matter and that his opinion doesn't weigh anymore than anyone else's. Just thought I'd clarify that for you.

User avatar
CatWalk
Posts: 26
Joined: Jan 18th, '08, 22:30
Location: Chiba, JPN

Post by CatWalk » Jan 19th, '08, 08:50

As far as I know, Japanese people are enjoying remakes as different animals. I remember back when Godzilla was done by Hollywood, Japanese media was writing about how Japanese people were disappointed on the new Godzilla. These days, I think Japanese people get used to American style remakes and accepting them. They enjoy new actors and new graphic in a Hollywood budget. American culture is getting used to Asian culture and started to understand better now. No more big black flamed glasses and a camera on a buck teeth business man. XD

Me as a Japanese, it is a good thing to hear that some people are paying attention to our culture. I totally can not enjoy anime being dubbed with their filter at all but Hey! they did not dub them for Japanese viewer. :wink:

User avatar
mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Posts: 2002
Joined: Dec 15th, '03, 17:45
Location: undercover admin

Post by mizune » Jan 21st, '08, 05:37

ajewell wrote:
murdocknakashima wrote:Not that it should matter that much, but just an FYI for you guys ... Groink started d-addicts. Not to say that his opinion is worth more than everyone else's, but just thought you guys should know who you guys are ripping.
I thought jholic did...?
Actually, you're both wrong.
Ruroshin originally started D-addicts as a side experiment to help distribute files for members at Jdorama.com.... You can see the evolution of the site in the early posts here.
groink was an early advocate and a mod for a short time.
jholic came on board a few months later, but quickly made his presence known. :whistling:
I was a lurker and quietly watched everything unfold for a couple years before actually becoming active... :p
Read the D-Addicts FAQ before asking questions.
No movies here, so please don't request. Check the Asian Movie Torrent Links.

User avatar
lynchmob72
Posts: 181
Joined: Aug 28th, '07, 23:43

Post by lynchmob72 » Jan 22nd, '08, 01:31

I'm not Japanese, but i really liked some of the remakes. The Ring and The Grudge were both ok movies. I have seen the original One Missed Call 1 and 2 movies, and am curious about the remake.
And i liked the Resident Evil movies, mostly because i'm a fan of the games.
Image
わたしは明久春口です! :thumleft:[/img]

User avatar
M'chelle
Posts: 35
Joined: Apr 26th, '07, 09:32
Location: Toshiya's bedroom ^_^

Post by M'chelle » Jan 26th, '08, 16:49

I see it like this the American remakes/adaptations are their way of showing homage to the originals,although I've seen a couple of the American versions of the films without seeing the originals,although I do intend to,I honestly didn't find dark water,the ring 1 and 2 and the grudge were that good,but that's just my opinion,I just didn't find them that scary

I think the films should be kept true to the original story no matter what country they come from
MY BOYS!
ImageImageImage

angelapprentice
Posts: 2
Joined: Jan 24th, '08, 03:36

Post by angelapprentice » Jan 26th, '08, 16:59

American re-makes are usually horrible. And sometimes even claim them to be original when it's not. There is not much originality left in American films, which is why some actors like Sean Connery refuse to act in movies anymore.

As for DBZ and many other anime re voicing, it's usually done in Canada but that doesn't always make it any better.

AboutDrama
Posts: 92
Joined: Aug 8th, '05, 00:04

Post by AboutDrama » Jan 26th, '08, 19:43

goink wrote:
What I find interesting is that Americans tend to want everything interpreted for them. They don't have the brain cells, imagination or the energy to watch something they don't quite understand. Everything must be given to them on a platter of sorts - and pre-chewed so they don't need to spend precious time and energy digesting, but still feel filled and satisfied. It is quite like eating white bread instead of multi-grain... Instead of burning the body's energy processing the food, they prefer the food to just go straight from their mouth to the toilet. This is why American TV and motion pictures are full of over-simplified storylines and explosions, and why scripts need to be re-written.

I believe that most people outside of the West prefer entertainment where a lot of thinking and logical reasoning is required. Many Asian movies, for example, has that "zen" like tone to them. I myself really don't like Japanese movies for this exact reason. I found that over the years, many of the Japanese movies are slow moving, and quite frankly they end quite strangly - and I don't mean in the sense where they're preparing for a sequel. It ends in a way where they want you to walk out of the theater and ponder over it and come up with your own conclusions. That's basically what I mean by creating movies for the thinking man. In fact, Asian culture in general is quite like this!

If I was a bobora, I would be totally insulted by the American re-adaptations. Dating a bobora tought me a few things. For one, there's a very strong sense of pride among the Japanese. Every day, my girlfriend needs to establish her national pride by constantly reminding me that Japan makes better movies, TV dramas, shoes, eye drops, sushi, electronics.... But to be honest, unless you leave Japan or are in tune with things outside of Japan, the Japanese really don't have a clue as to what is being done with movies like JU-ON and such. Exact same thing in America - unless you're in the know, you will NOT know that The Ring is a remake of a Japanese movie. So if an American actor or actress doesn't know that their current roles were previously done by Sakai Noriko or Ito Misaki, you REALLY can't hold it against them. D-Addicts are in touch with all aspects of planet Earth. But outside of here, pretty much many of us in the West are ignorant of what goes on outside.
I agree with what goink wrote. There are a few things I want to add on.
In fact not only many Western are ignorant on the outside world but majority of the people from all over the world that have not seen the outside world are equally ignorant. For example, I have met many young Japaneses and they are very ignorant, sad to say even if they have produced the 'best' products as in their believed. Japan do not always produce the best movie. Some of the movies that they try to follow the west are quite bad. On that case, I would admit that western movies are better. The only bad ones are those movies aim for blockbuster or young teens or remakes. Movies like Constant Gardener, Syriana, Star Wars, Michael Clayton, Babel, Pursuit of Happyness, Atonement, and etc.. are consider good movies that what western can produce.

In another note, I don't really care if the movies are American remakes as long as those movies acknowledge that they are the remake from the original ones because I get annoy when an American teen claiming that those 'remake' movies are originally written and produced by western Hollywood and has no idea that they are actually remakes.

canon05
Posts: 309
Joined: Feb 27th, '05, 10:50

Post by canon05 » Feb 15th, '08, 03:09

mizune wrote:
ajewell wrote:
murdocknakashima wrote:Not that it should matter that much, but just an FYI for you guys ... Groink started d-addicts. Not to say that his opinion is worth more than everyone else's, but just thought you guys should know who you guys are ripping.
I thought jholic did...?
Actually, you're both wrong.
Ruroshin originally started D-addicts as a side experiment to help distribute files for members at Jdorama.com.... You can see the evolution of the site in the early posts here.
groink was an early advocate and a mod for a short time.
jholic came on board a few months later, but quickly made his presence known. :whistling:
I was a lurker and quietly watched everything unfold for a couple years before actually becoming active... :p
wow. nice to know how d-addicts got started. :thumright:

User avatar
albertoavena
Posts: 374
Joined: Sep 17th, '05, 09:22
Location: Chandler, AZ

Post by albertoavena » Feb 23rd, '08, 02:16

AboutDrama wrote: In another note, I don't really care if the movies are American remakes as long as those movies acknowledge that they are the remake from the original ones because I get annoy when an American teen claiming that those 'remake' movies are originally written and produced by western Hollywood and has no idea that they are actually remakes.
Yeah, I don't like that either. But their are also those elitists that just because it's an American remake, they automatically say it's bad even though they've never watched it and assume the japanese or asian version is better. Same could go with games or shows or whatever. Because it's dubbed, they are closed-minded and hate the fact that it's dubbed.
Image

MajidB
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 85
Joined: Nov 12th, '04, 21:58

Post by MajidB » Feb 23rd, '08, 02:54

Well, I am partly Japanese from my mother's side ( Filipino, but my grandmother is half Japanese ). I'd like to comment on what albertoavena said,
albertoavena wrote: Yeah, I don't like that either. But their are also those elitists that just because it's an American remake, they automatically say it's bad even though they've never watched it and assume the japanese or asian version is better. Same could go with games or shows or whatever. Because it's dubbed, they are closed-minded and hate the fact that it's dubbed.
Ehh.. I have to admit that I used to have this "way of thinking" :doh:.. Not anymore though, I tend to look at it from both angles.. however all the American remakes of Asian films that I have seen "SO FAR", don't match up to the original version.. but hey thats just my 2 cents :-).

AshanishiLynn
Posts: 206
Joined: May 15th, '07, 08:15

Post by AshanishiLynn » Feb 23rd, '08, 21:06

[quote="MajidB"

Ehh.. I have to admit that I used to have this "way of thinking" :doh:.. Not anymore though, I tend to look at it from both angles.. however all the American remakes of Asian films that I have seen "SO FAR", don't match up to the original version.. but hey thats just my 2 cents :-).[/quote]

Lol I almost agree 100%
...but the Departed was great
people got pissed because it won an Oscar
but that movie was fantastic.

User avatar
albertoavena
Posts: 374
Joined: Sep 17th, '05, 09:22
Location: Chandler, AZ

Post by albertoavena » Feb 24th, '08, 23:13

I heard some pretty great reviews from Thr Departed but had no idea it was a remake.. :O
MajidB wrote: Ehh.. I have to admit that I used to have this "way of thinking" :doh:.. Not anymore though, I tend to look at it from both angles.. however all the American remakes of Asian films that I have seen "SO FAR", don't match up to the original version.. but hey thats just my 2 cents :-).
Yea, I admit also that I used to think the same way. But now, like you, I try to look at both sides and review them that way. But, yea, I know what your saying about the remakes "so far". :P
Image

User avatar
apartofmylife
Posts: 138
Joined: Jul 30th, '07, 12:57

Re: What do Japanese People think of American Remakes?

Post by apartofmylife » Mar 3rd, '08, 12:49

Karate-ka wrote:I dont know if this has been dicussed before, so sorry if it is...

Lately ive been wondering, what do the Japanese People think of the American Remakes of theire Movies???

I know for a fact that most of the Non Asians/Japanese(refering to Asian fans of Japan) Fans, dont like the idea.

As for me i dont like it either , because in my opinion its not original for American Producer/directors to make a remake. They beter licends it and show them original in theaters.

So yeah what do you guys think?
Am I the first japanese posting here?
As for me, I am curious how they remake japanese movies.
I have seen the ring 1. years ago. I think it is the only American remake I have seen.
I think the screen technology is better than the japanese one, but it's not so scary as the japanese one.
Maybe it's just becasue I am japanese.
Well, the American remake ring is scary, but...To me, it is like a horror in a fantasy world.
On the other hand, the japanese ring is a horror which could happen in my neighborhood^^
Sadako could come out from my TV! Yeahhh! Ok, that won't happen,
but I hope you understand what I am trying to say...

Anyway, I think japanese people are quite open to Hollywood remakes, but it doesn't mean
we like them better than Japanese original ones.
Many Many Many Japanese people watch Hollywood movies and many japanese people likes
them better than japanese movies.
On the other hand, when it comes to remakes, some of them tend to think Japanese original ones are better.
Maybe they don't want to admit Hollywood makes better films?
Or maybe they can't accept remakes arranged for American people?
Or they are proud of japanese movies anyway even if they usually say Japanese movies are not good?
Hmmm...

Matsuyama Kenichi said something like this in an interview;
"If Hollywood remakes Death note, I'm sure they will make a great one.
But I want them to see our Death note and if they actually remake it, I want them to cast us in the remake."
ImageImage

User avatar
Karate-ka
Posts: 652
Joined: Sep 19th, '07, 15:18
Location: Netherlands, in a town called Brunssum

Re: What do Japanese People think of American Remakes?

Post by Karate-ka » Mar 3rd, '08, 13:01

apartofmylife wrote:
Karate-ka wrote:I dont know if this has been dicussed before, so sorry if it is...

Lately ive been wondering, what do the Japanese People think of the American Remakes of theire Movies???

I know for a fact that most of the Non Asians/Japanese(refering to Asian fans of Japan) Fans, dont like the idea.

As for me i dont like it either , because in my opinion its not original for American Producer/directors to make a remake. They beter licends it and show them original in theaters.

So yeah what do you guys think?
Am I the first japanese posting here?
As for me, I am curious how they remake japanese movies.
I have seen the ring 1. years ago. I think it is the only American remake I have seen.
I think the screen technology is better than the japanese one, but it's not so scary as the japanese one.
Maybe it's just becasue I am japanese.
Well, the American remake ring is scary, but...To me, it is like a horror in a fantasy world.
On the other hand, the japanese ring is a horror which could happen in my neighborhood^^
Sadako could come out from my TV! Yeahhh! Ok, that won't happen,
but I hope you understand what I am trying to say...

Anyway, I think japanese people are quite open to Hollywood remakes, but it doesn't mean
we like them better than Japanese original ones.
Many Many Many Japanese people watch Hollywood movies and many japanese people likes
them better than japanese movies.
On the other hand, when it comes to remakes, some of them tend to think Japanese original ones are better.
Maybe they don't want to admit Hollywood makes better films?
Or maybe they can't accept remakes arranged for American people?
Or they are proud of japanese movies anyway even if they usually say Japanese movies are not good?
Hmmm...

Matsuyama Kenichi said something like this in an interview;
"If Hollywood remakes Death note, I'm sure they will make a great one.
But I want them to see our Death note and if they actually remake it, I want them to cast us in the remake."
Im glad you posted, wel my opinion is they should give more credit or let it realy be seen as a remake of a japanese movie.

You know Super sentai has always been remade into the serie called power ranger. And even now people would say "Japanese Power Ranger", but its the other way around they should say to power ranger "American Super Sentai". Do you got what i mean i dont think there is much credit so i always intend to say Japanese versions are always better.
Pretty white t-shirt and pair of jeans, thats all real man need ya know(No they need a job and a Diploma)
Image

lzydata
Posts: 184
Joined: Jul 29th, '05, 10:36
Location: Singapore

Re: What do Japanese People think of American Remakes?

Post by lzydata » Mar 4th, '08, 16:32

apartofmylife wrote:Matsuyama Kenichi said something like this in an interview;
"If Hollywood remakes Death note, I'm sure they will make a great one.
But I want them to see our Death note and if they actually remake it, I want them to cast us in the remake."
Then what's the point of remaking it? Haha.

How about this? Maybe there's a bias towards whichever is the first movie you watch, because you then use that as the standard to compare with. I wonder if anyone here has the opposite experience.

User avatar
Archaenon
Posts: 435
Joined: Mar 17th, '07, 09:33
Contact:

Post by Archaenon » Mar 4th, '08, 17:11

How about french , russian remakes. Do you all have the same idea on those , or just those of Asian decent?

As for me , who is Jp/US I don't mind it. Alot of the times some of them are better. A good example is Godzilla , I thought the Gozilla remake was pretty snazzy.

As for DB , no one admits to liking the old one , no one it was sooooo bad. I'm sure the US version will suck just as much as that one.... DB should never be live action to begin with anyways.

I guess you take it from cultural to personal aspects , sometimes remakes are better.

A recent one is Love or Trouble , remade from Overboard. Love or Trouble was a 1000 times better.

wujou_mao
Posts: 237
Joined: Feb 28th, '04, 14:39
Location: Peterborough UK

Post by wujou_mao » Mar 4th, '08, 17:13

its not just japanese which the yanks copy or re-do. how about the 100's of British soaps, comedy sketches and reality shows that get copied and america still gets credited for :crazy:

had to laugh when someone said yanks can't read English, thats shyte :lol.

User avatar
Archaenon
Posts: 435
Joined: Mar 17th, '07, 09:33
Contact:

Post by Archaenon » Mar 4th, '08, 17:20

wujou_mao wrote:its not just japanese which the yanks copy or re-do. how about the 100's of British soaps, comedy sketches and reality shows that get copied and america still gets credited for :crazy:

had to laugh when someone said yanks can't read English, thats shyte :lol.
The remake of coupling was so bad. I cried when they said they were going to remake father ted or Black Books.

The Office is an alright remake.

User avatar
lynchmob72
Posts: 181
Joined: Aug 28th, '07, 23:43

Post by lynchmob72 » Mar 5th, '08, 02:28

Personally, i think Japanese horror film makers , and Hollywood should get together on some movies. I really liked the Japanese "One missed call " movies, but Hollywood turned it into crap. With Hollywood's budget, and Japanese film makers sense of horror, they should be able to produce one bad ass film.
Image
わたしは明久春口です! :thumleft:[/img]

User avatar
fairytwix
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 289
Joined: Apr 8th, '05, 13:23
Location: planet earth

Re: What do Japanese People think of American Remakes?

Post by fairytwix » Mar 5th, '08, 02:56

lzydata wrote:
apartofmylife wrote:Matsuyama Kenichi said something like this in an interview;
"If Hollywood remakes Death note, I'm sure they will make a great one.
But I want them to see our Death note and if they actually remake it, I want them to cast us in the remake."
Then what's the point of remaking it? Haha.

How about this? Maybe there's a bias towards whichever is the first movie you watch, because you then use that as the standard to compare with. I wonder if anyone here has the opposite experience.
well..for one thing, i think "remake" definitely has room for SOME consistency...i mean, after all..you're just trying to "redo" the original, because your "target audience" has somehow changed hasn't it... local movies/dramas are intended for their own local audiences, so if hollywood makes a remake, they more or less aim for the viewership of not just americans, but EVERYONE, since they do international release nwei.. so, ye..they cud change or keep the casts, tweak the storyline a bit, or stick to it..etc.. ~ but then again, sometimes i wonder if its better to just show the original nwei..~ i mean, unless you want to change the ending or something, sometimes, w/e made the original movie GREAT is lost along the way of making the remake..ie, cultural and language context, effects(some may not be that great, but it has somehow been effective in a way)..

i don't really think it's a bias or anything whether or not u watched the original first or not..coz iv watched a couple of hollywood remakes FIRST before watching the original version..ie 1) The Lakehouse, then I watched Il Mare. 2) Shall we dance with J. Lo and Richard Gere(or was it Gear?) then watched the Japanese version. I personally liked the Hollywood version. However, I thought the Originals had a better portrayal of their message, and it seemed more profound than the remakes.

Not much to say on horror remakes, i guess Hollywood and Asians have a different POV on what makes a movie SCARY..hahaha..if ukn0 what i mean.. XD

on the topic of "the departed", i actually thought there was more suspense in the remake..although, it was a PROPER rip off from "infernal affairs" ~ i love the original too tho.. ~ i was really surprised at how almost EVERYTHING was similar..lol..but the thrill and suspense was somehow different..
Image
gimme some bigbangin lovin
b-b-b-but I love you boy ~

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests