Watching RAWs without knowing Japanese

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
Tadanga

Watching RAWs without knowing Japanese

Post by Tadanga » Oct 9th, '07, 02:55

After three months of intensive dorama I decided to jump in and watch a RAW.
Although I chose Ganges River De butterfly where Nagasawa Masami is in India ( therefore would be less dialogue-heavy as a normal dorama ) I was amazed to see that I not only understood the story but realized how much of the actors' play I was normally missing because I would be concentrated on the bottom third of the screen for the subtitles.
On top of that, for the first time I was really listening to the language instead of relying lazily on the subs.
I definitely encourage all to give RAWs a try once you get the logic of the language and get familiar with the dozen or so expressions that come up very often.

How was your first time ?

giggle weed

Post by giggle weed » Oct 9th, '07, 03:20

I watched the last few episodes of stand up!! raw, and I actually surprisingly understood most of it. Maybe not everypart and what they're exactly saying, but I got the story and main idea of what was happening. And it really did make me listen to the language. ;D

Tsukimi13

Post by Tsukimi13 » Oct 9th, '07, 17:53

I watched the first episode of Itazura na Kiss raw last year but i couldn't understand anything...so i've been waiting for the subtitles However i think that when the raw of It started with a kiss II will be out i'll watch the raw!
But I agree with you,we enjoyed the player's game better without subtitles!

(hum sorry for my poor english i do my best...) :unsure:

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » Oct 12th, '07, 05:15

I always watch shows in Raw first. Then with subs just to clear up some things I didn't understand. It's great listening practise, I really recommend it!!

apartofmylife

Post by apartofmylife » Oct 20th, '07, 13:48

I recommend it too :-) I do it when I watch Hollywood movies and American dramas/sitcoms.
I watch them raw first, then with subtitle.
The best thing is I can concentrate on listening! I am really bad at listening, but as I keep watching, I can understand what's going on
and enjoy them, though I still don't understand many words.
Now I watch j-drama with subtitle. it is also good to understand the difference between our way of speaking and their way of speaking.
ImageImage

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Oct 20th, '07, 18:26

GoddessCarlie wrote:I always watch shows in Raw first. Then with subs just to clear up some things I didn't understand. It's great listening practise, I really recommend it!!
I thought it would be better if people watched with subs first so they knew what was going on, then watch RAW to appreciate acting/directing (and would've remembered few lines too) :sweat:

But I know most people are too impatient to wait for subs and end up watching RAW first :whistling:

lalia dawn

Post by lalia dawn » Oct 21st, '07, 05:41

i watched all of "life" as raws and found it to be hugely helpful to learning the language, and also a really rewarding experience to work on figuring out what i could not understand. i was stopping it alot and going through the dictionary every 5 minutes, or listening over and over when they talk super fast, but i think i agree that through watching the raw and concentrating on listening i gained more than watching with subtitles. now i cant wait for the subtitles to fill in the gaps and to compare to my interpretation. i'm really looking foward to the day that i can truly feel like i can say i understand japanese, but i think its a couple of years off.

Hachiko-chan

Post by Hachiko-chan » Oct 21st, '07, 11:22

I watch some dramas raw, it's a good way to practise japanese.
And to my surprise I understod quite much
Some dramas that I watched raw have been hanakimi,Life and now I'm watching Utahime, Joshi deka, hataraki man and Tantei Galileo raw. :-)

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Oct 22nd, '07, 13:17

I would suggest watching other programs as well... Don't limit yourself to dramas. Comedy-based variety shows are a good way to keep on top of pop culture... The next time you watch a comedic drama, you may "pick up" on a joke that you would otherwise not have understood. There are also several very educational quiz shows, like Q-Sama (posted here by Bu) and Nep League (posted here by gnohz and on Jpopsuki as well).
See my current DramaWiki editing projects here.
See my current and completed subbing projects here.

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Oct 22nd, '07, 14:38

Speaking of Nep League... It's not being uploaded anymore :(

Did anyone see it in clubbox or something?

Sanari

Post by Sanari » Nov 1st, '07, 22:22

I watched RAW when I couldn't find subtitles and just needed to see the Japanese movie or drama. It was incomprehensible at first but with each time there were more and more words and phrases I could understand. So yes, I guess it helps learn the language if you want to learn.
I agree with <b>8thSin</b>, people better watch first with subs and then RAW. Helps a lot. :)
My first jdrama without subs was Yasha. Missed most of the story but got the main idea and enjoyed good acting and nice voices.
A really hard experience was to watch a Chinese series with subs only in simplified Chinese. That was pain!

groink

Post by groink » Nov 1st, '07, 23:48

8thSin wrote:I thought it would be better if people watched with subs first so they knew what was going on, then watch RAW to appreciate acting/directing (and would've remembered few lines too) :sweat:

But I know most people are too impatient to wait for subs and end up watching RAW first :whistling:
I agree. But at the same time, I believe, based on other topics, the people who watch the RAWs without knowing the language are more likely fans of the actors - which basically then makes the story secondary. I was the same way when I was a Sakai Noriko fanatic - where I would watch many of her idol shows like White Girl Story and such - and without understanding the dialog. But now that time is valuable, I need to wait for the subs rather than waste time watching a given episode twice.

--- groink

nicha89

Post by nicha89 » Nov 2nd, '07, 19:23

my first time was Hana Yori Dango 2, i couldnt wait for the sub, but all i understaood in the drama was "senpai" lol. but now i unerstand a lot of what is being said. i watched "i love my younger sister" and understood almost everything they said XD. i guess it's partly because they dont have a lot of conversations in this movie. but still, i understand a lot when i watch raws ^^"
*~Image Image~*
- RabuRetta