Traditional Japanese Clothes

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
lavenderchan

Traditional Japanese Clothes

Post by lavenderchan » Nov 18th, '06, 01:38

Hi I was wondering how can I buy a kimono from the united states? I would like a yukata but I am look for a kimono. If anyone knows please let me know.

Keri

ピコ&

Post by ピコ& » Nov 18th, '06, 03:49

You'd like to buy a kimono or yukata from the US?

Can you be more specific. I dont think we'd be able to help much if you only give us tidbits of info like that >w<

Around what state or city do you live in the US? (That way maybe we can narrow it down to a few stores near the area that happens to sell kimono or yukatas)

Or are you looking for an online site that ships to the US?

Good quality kimonos can be very expensive (compared to yukatas)~

lavenderchan

Post by lavenderchan » Nov 18th, '06, 16:14

I live in columbus ohio. I don't think there are stores in my area that sell them. I'm open to onilne to ships to us. i didn't think kimonos were that expenseive. what price ranges are they. maybe i would be better off getting a yukuatas first.

veritati

Post by veritati » Nov 19th, '06, 02:20

Kimonos are not cheap. Depending on the fabric, style and designer, they can go for ten of thousands. No joking. A cheap one you can get is maybe $1K. OK one is $2-4K. And a good one is $5-7K. So on and so forth.

BTW, you need to take a class you be able to wear Kimonos properly. And it can take up to 4 hours or more to be fully dressed.
Live life to the fullest.

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Nov 19th, '06, 02:40

i'm sure you can buy cheap little yukatas that have a pre-made obi. they're easy and failrly quick to dress yourself. i got one like that as a present while i was in japan. i'll look around the internet a bit and see if i can find one for you ^-^

Nanashi No Gonbey

Post by Nanashi No Gonbey » Nov 19th, '06, 02:44

Plus purchasing the Kimono you have to purchase the tabi's (like socks with a seperate toe) and the slippers which are very expensive also.

Do they have under garments? Yes, 2 to 3 sometimes 4.

So like veritati says it can be very expensive.

lavenderchan

Post by lavenderchan » Nov 20th, '06, 12:39

I knew kimno's cost alot of money but not that much. so were can I go to get a yukatas on the internet and know its a good site. just searching comes up with alot of stuff that i wasn't looking for.
thanks.

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Nov 20th, '06, 13:58

sorry i couldn't find a real store that had yukatas. but i found an ebay store with yukatas and pre-made obis.
here's the link http://stores.ebay.com/kyotocollection_ ... idZ2QQtZkm
i hope that helps ^-^

lavenderchan

Post by lavenderchan » Nov 20th, '06, 20:20

thanks. x_Xjules. Do you know how the sizing works for buying a yukata.

&#12500;&#12467;&

Post by &#12500;&#12467;& » Nov 21st, '06, 04:20

Here is a site which sales Yukatas (and expensive kimonos, but they all look pretty XD)

Its a store that ships and is located within Australia (all the price is in AU Dollars so you'll have to use a converter to see what it'd be for US Dollars) but I dont know if they ship internationally, but yu could try emailling them.

http://www.yoshidashouten.com.au/html_e/41_02.html

You can also check Ebay as well. :'S

megatokyo23

Re: Japanese Clothes

Post by megatokyo23 » Nov 21st, '06, 08:11

hi keri,
...you might be better off with a summer yukata. they're a lot cheaper and less hassle. The GAP in japan used to sell a "set" for 3,000yen set in summertime in different patterns. it came with a purse, an obi, and a clip-on ribbon. you might be able to find someone willing to send you one?
good luck,
--mt23--

lavenderchan

Post by lavenderchan » Nov 21st, '06, 18:09

thank you everyone. I will let you know what I get. Its a christmas present for my sister and myself.

Piqu_Oqi

Post by Piqu_Oqi » Nov 21st, '06, 18:23

I like that

android_04

Post by android_04 » Nov 21st, '06, 18:26

I found this site a while back where they sell cheap kimonos and yukatas
http://asianideas.com/asianfashion.html

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Nov 21st, '06, 19:05

lavenderchan wrote:thanks. x_Xjules. Do you know how the sizing works for buying a yukata.
i'm sorry i don't... but you want them to be longer. they are supposed to fold around your midsection so you need them to be pretty long.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 22nd, '06, 04:50

Well, i went poking around too and ran across this website that might work for you, lavenderchan, both in terms of price and accessibility. They may not be completely authentic, but it would probably be more than enough for what you want.
http://kawaiinekohat.com/KNH/index.html

edit: hope you don't mind, but i modified the thread title a little bit for more accuracy...

fatmouse

Post by fatmouse » Feb 10th, '09, 07:04

I like kimno, they are so beautiful. But is expensive.

noobee

Post by noobee » Feb 11th, '09, 13:12

ya yukata is pretty cheap but kimono are expensive
This user's account has been suspended. Because the user has ignore the mod's warnings to not reply with short useless messages, just so a spam link will show up on all his reply messages.

lomsie

Post by lomsie » Apr 21st, '09, 15:13

There is this website, exporting vintage kimono straight out of Tokyo, Japan. You can buy individual items or sets. For the quality of the kimono here the prices are very good. Of course, they have yukata here as well, but the shipping prices may get you. It depends on what you're looking for. I'm saving up to buy a set ^_^

As for sizing, Kimono usually come in one size (though they are cut for men, women, children, etc.). But when you first put it on it should be quite a bit longer than your height. It's when you're dressed, the kimono is folded and tucked to get the right length.

http://www.yamatoku.jp/classic/index.asp

Not to mention that the kimono on this website are beautiful! There are even pieces from the Edo era. cant say that they are very wearable, but for collectors, a must have!