Plastic surgery in Japanese society or entertainment?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
ringo0_0
Posts: 16
Joined: Jul 7th, '06, 12:47

Post by ringo0_0 » Nov 19th, '06, 14:23

N饌 Vanille wrote:
ringo0_0 wrote:I think you should say that to the people who created the fake photos, not me. so I didn't have to spend my time for creating this stupid thing! lol :whistling:


I did mean them, not you. I just find it amazing how anyone can have such an empty life to actually go around searching for the photos of celebrities to prove to the world that they are fake (or not). Some people really need jobs. :lol


Oh I see. I'm sorry I thought you said that to me. my poor English... :cry:
I actually felt stupid while I was searching and making these proof pictures... I personally don't care if they are "plastic" or not, but I don't like lie. And some people (intentionally or not) trying to spread the lie to the world was just too much for me... Anyway, I read in other topic that you have a Korean BF. I hope my posts didn't offend you and innocent Korean people... Coz I did not mean that. :-)

User avatar
Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 780
Joined: Mar 26th, '05, 08:35
Location: Seoul, South Korea (whooooza!)

Post by Néa Vanille » Nov 19th, '06, 14:31

Don't worry, I wasn't offended. :lol I know very well that some Koreans are very childish and love to bash Japan out of an inferiority complex. However, I've also met some Japanese who liked to say bad things about Korea. I think people from both countries are generally nice, but some still buy into that rivalry thing.

ringo0_0
Posts: 16
Joined: Jul 7th, '06, 12:47

Post by ringo0_0 » Nov 20th, '06, 15:51

Néa Vanille wrote:Don't worry, I wasn't offended. :lol I know very well that some Koreans are very childish and love to bash Japan out of an inferiority complex. However, I've also met some Japanese who liked to say bad things about Korea. I think people from both countries are generally nice, but some still buy into that rivalry thing.


Oh that's good! :lol Yeah... I don't like those Japanese who like to say only bad things about Korea and insult them badly either. But except those people, most of the time, I guess we have good reasons to get upset, like these fake photos. For Japanese, it's not the rivalry thing that made us get mad actually... Anyway, I hope those Japan/Korea haters will pour their energy on something more constructive.

kaasbris
Posts: 21
Joined: Nov 1st, '06, 03:58
Location: Seoul/Tokyo/Brisbane

Post by kaasbris » Nov 26th, '06, 01:14

halalsushi wrote:Plastic surgery does happen in Japan and Korea. It is common in many rich industrialized nations where people have lots of money to spend. These people are not satisfied with how they have been created. However, that does not mean all the actors/actresses in Japan and Korea have had surgery. They do use a lot of makeup and film-lightening techniques which causes their skin to glow on film. Also, the photographs of the movie stars in promotional posters, magazines, etc are all photoshopped. This makes their skin look as smooth and shiny as plastic, which is of course unnatural. As for 75% of Koreans being born with single-eyelids, that is untrue. For all CJK peoples - roughly half are born with double-eyelids and the other half with single-eyelids. As for this Korean site, hmm... It seems to be typical anti-Japanese fare. Some of them definitely had surgery while the others just didn't have any makeup on and were not photoshopped. So the Koreans making this site and anybody else should know this: The majority of people in any given country are ugly, average or a little bit above in the looks department. It is only the small minority that are exceedingly beautiful, which is why they are the most sought after and garner the most attention.


Simple but absolute colclusion :salut:

richardli
Posts: 47
Joined: Nov 27th, '06, 14:39

Post by richardli » Nov 27th, '06, 14:53

I don't think you can be a celebrity if you DON'T have plastic surgery..sometimes its the talent agency that forces the celebs to undergo plastic surgery
Wacky Japanese Videos and hot idols at JAPANSUGOI.COM

User avatar
Heartsword
Posts: 48
Joined: Nov 12th, '06, 03:25
Location: Canada

Post by Heartsword » Nov 27th, '06, 21:53

jWow...great collection of pics of before and after....hehehe....I really don't care whether or not celebs have plastic surgery...it's their job to look good and if surgery makes them look better and/or boosts their career, then more power to them :mrgreen:

However, I must say that Hamasaki Ayumi DEFINITELY had multiple plastic surgeries...most Ayu fans that I know even admit to to this....she was such a pretty little girl to begin with and now?? Hmm, she's looking a bit like a live-action anime girl to me with those huge bug eyes of hers....still pretty but she looks fake....

And I agree, Ryo and Takky are naturally, non-surgically enhanced hot....*drools* :mrgreen:
Check out Vietfiles.org for the latest Vietnamese torrents! :D

Image

User avatar
Corona
Posts: 160
Joined: Sep 20th, '05, 11:19
Location: Netherlands

Post by Corona » Nov 27th, '06, 22:27

Nice of you to research and clear it up ringo0_0, It proves that we shouldn't just blatantly believe something, just because someone says so :)
Image

User avatar
Leepee
Posts: 1
Joined: Apr 17th, '04, 07:35
Location: The ether

Post by Leepee » Apr 6th, '07, 02:51

mou...
there's an article about it even in TIME Magazine, google it up, I just read it a while ago.

I was breezing by, but the ignorant comments were just too annoying.
Obviously alot of you know Hamasaki Ayumi had cosmetic surgeries done but only because it's so obvious. There are thousands of asian! celebrities out there who have it less noticeable like Utada Hikaru and probably all of H!P. I bet it's not on purpose, my bet is, it's either mandatory to get a few things fixed up, OR it's their own choice because they're fully aware of what it takes to get accepted on TV and they jump at the chance to "fix" some things up. Heck, it's a pre-requisite even.

Really, in the showbiz cosmetic surgery is no big deal, to us normal people it is though right? I've seen so many cases of it in celebrities, I've just accepted it as a norm 0_0

If anyone wants my honest opinion, although sad, there are no top asian female celebrities who've not had a few cosmetic surgeries. I think what freaked me out was the larger number of even males who've had surgeries these days. Suddenly I was unable to trust if I was actually admiring a "real" person. Whatever that means.
Since I only know about the Korean Japanese entertainment world, I say that I've yet to see a female actress without cosmetic surgery there.

Don't be naive now, yes BoA has had cosmetic surgeries, a few on her nose over the years evidence suggests, and just because that person's eyes or noses don't look that nice doesn't mean it's not done.

In conclusion what am I trying to say?
Who cares anymore, I've had it with this superficial business, the inside isn't worth crap, it only comes as a bonus to the face anyway. So just enjoy your shows and who cares about who's had what done? everybody's done it 0__0
I say show me a photo of someone you think hasn't had any surgeries done!

hyd4ever
Posts: 11
Joined: Mar 16th, '07, 04:48
Location: PA, US

Post by hyd4ever » Apr 12th, '07, 21:51

You know, I think you guys must be sympathetic to the celebs. They had to change their natural appearance just to please their audience. :cry: (of course, gain more fame themselves)
I hate and scared of hospital, so I think it'd be a huge self sacrifice for them to do such plastic surgery :cry:
Oh, anyway, I've seen a lot of beautiful Japanese celebs here. The guy named Ryo is such a cutie, never need for any plastic change :lol

MikeNolan
Posts: 22
Joined: Dec 27th, '06, 20:38

Post by MikeNolan » Apr 24th, '07, 22:23

Wow Ringo those are great childhood pics especially Yukie nakama and Kyoko Fukada. I don't really care about the plastic surgery stuff, but I love to see photos of celebrities when they were young. Can Ringo or anyone please post some more thanks :cheers: :D

captaincookie
Posts: 1
Joined: May 2nd, '07, 08:08

Post by captaincookie » May 2nd, '07, 08:39

hmm someone mentioned this before, but i really have to applaud the entertainment Industry in Hong Kong because there are very few celebrities who had underwent plastic surgery.

I guess it all comes down to the fact that Hong Kong media is really slack =\
They exaggerate things a lot and all and if they think that someone had plastic surgery, they make a big deal out of it and the celebrity's popularity drops. So i guess that's why the celebrities don`t risk surgery coz if someone finds out; their popularity will decrease; besides, as a Honkie, I never really thought that the standards for being a celebrity was too high... :P

User avatar
MochaValencia
Posts: 163
Joined: Feb 4th, '07, 10:03

Post by MochaValencia » May 9th, '07, 15:35

How about Shichinin no Onna Bengoshi? Who among the 7 lead actresses had surgery?

How about Zaizen Naomi and Amami Yuki?

Pekana
Posts: 53
Joined: Dec 22nd, '06, 01:18

Post by Pekana » May 9th, '07, 23:49

I think nowadays plastic surgery is nothing out of the ordinary in any industry that relies heavily on looks. The Japanese entertainment industry is surely no exception.

The media likes to point its finger at celebrities that have allegedly had plastic surgery, and the internet is full of sites with before/after pics, but at the same time the audience wants to see people on the screen that are so good looking that they take your breath away. That's putting the entertainers of today in a rather tight spot.

I don't mind if someone' s had their nose, lips, eyes etc. done as long as it looks good. It's demanded for celebrities to always look perfect, so I think it's unfair to accuse them of having plastic surgery to achieve just that. Personally, I'm more interested in the charisma an actor has on screen rather than who's had what surgically corrected. As long as they can make me believe the story, they can staple a second nose to their forehead for all I care. :P
Last edited by Pekana on May 11th, '07, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

guitarpj
Posts: 5
Joined: May 5th, '07, 19:35

Post by guitarpj » May 10th, '07, 17:55

There are actually a surprising number of Japanese actors who have had it done but I also saw a couple shows about it when I was living in Japan and most of the actors/actresses on those shows hadn't had it done... Korea on the other hand in P.S. crazy, almost every actor/actress has it done and many many regular people get it done as well. The reason being, it's really cheap to get it done in Korea. It's actually getting quite popular for Japanese to take a week long trip to korea for some sightseeing and a little Plastic Surgery (one of my GF's friends had it done). However to the extent of my knowledge from living 3 years in Japan and teaching thousands of people, most Japanese girls are against it. The ones that get it done are the rich and the gyaru types... Either way, make sure you look at kid photos of your GF if you date a Japanese or Korean girl!! haha...

User avatar
Tanpoporin
Posts: 24
Joined: Dec 3rd, '05, 21:14
Location: San Diego

Post by Tanpoporin » May 11th, '07, 01:07

lots of singers and actors/actresses do it.(Yumiko Shaku for example) I don't care personally as long as they still a good job in their career. I think that sometimes the girls have more of a problem with or some reason than boys. I tend to get bashed because I am a big fan of the singer, Ai Otsuka and my girlfriends like to point out that she has TOTALLY had plastic surgery and tries too hard to be cute, etc. (personally she probably has her nose looks a little different that from her debut and her eyes are bigger)
Nea Vanille wrote: Don't worry, I wasn't offended. Laugh I know very well that some Koreans are very childish and love to bash Japan out of an inferiority complex. However, I've also met some Japanese who liked to say bad things about Korea. I think people from both countries are generally nice, but some still buy into that rivalry thing.
I just don't understand the Japanese<Korean>_<

nhk9
Posts: 39
Joined: Feb 6th, '04, 20:09

Post by nhk9 » May 11th, '07, 01:56

I don't mind if they have minor jobs done, but when the jobs on their noses aren't done well (long vacation lead actress etc.), then I have a problem with it.

phramc
Posts: 182
Joined: Jan 12th, '07, 00:55
Location: hiding on my computer

Post by phramc » May 14th, '07, 02:36

I don't think Jin, Kame, or Ryo have had jobs or even Maki for that. I think they changed a little with age, and most pictures are majorly photoshopped/fixed and they have boatloads of makeup on.

pubbie
Posts: 41
Joined: May 8th, '06, 20:57
Location: Sweden

Post by pubbie » May 21st, '07, 18:06

chamcham wrote: For a country with so many beautiful women, plastic surgery almost
seems non-existent. Health food and cosmetics are all Japanese women
seem to need.
HAH! Good one...
Last edited by pubbie on May 23rd, '07, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
Before you get angry and reply to whatever I wrote, you need to know this:
I am a misogynist, racist and sadist.
If you are an obstacle in my life, I will end you.

karin-chan
Posts: 359
Joined: Jan 19th, '07, 15:02
Location: Your bed

Post by karin-chan » May 22nd, '07, 09:07

its okay for me if they reaLLy had a surgery as Long as they wouLd not Look Like a weirdo or MicheaL Jackson

pubbie
Posts: 41
Joined: May 8th, '06, 20:57
Location: Sweden

Post by pubbie » May 24th, '07, 04:44

karin-chan wrote:its okay for me if they reaLLy had a surgery as Long as they wouLd not Look Like a weirdo or MicheaL Jackson
Seriously what is up with your L's? I've gone through a couple of your other posts and they all have that same characteristic: big L's anywhere in a word. It's freaking me out!
Before you get angry and reply to whatever I wrote, you need to know this:
I am a misogynist, racist and sadist.
If you are an obstacle in my life, I will end you.

ninjamaster018
Posts: 1
Joined: Dec 2nd, '06, 21:57

Post by ninjamaster018 » May 24th, '07, 05:54

Seriously though, some of these people do look like they've had some work, but I'd like to tell all of you that don't know, that their is a make-up procedure called "contouring". Contouring is the use of expensive make-ups that have special lighting effects that make noses look thinner and other facial features, but I think for the most part, I think that the celebs are just rapidly changing with age in a positive manner.

karin-chan
Posts: 359
Joined: Jan 19th, '07, 15:02
Location: Your bed

Post by karin-chan » May 25th, '07, 14:44

pubbie wrote:
karin-chan wrote:its okay for me if they reaLLy had a surgery as Long as they wouLd not Look Like a weirdo or MicheaL Jackson
Seriously what is up with your L's? I've gone through a couple of your other posts and they all have that same characteristic: big L's anywhere in a word. It's freaking me out!
i seriousLy Laughed wit yr post!!! :lol what can i say.. its the first time someone make a big deaL out of my ~~~~L~~~~~. If you wanna know why write Like that is simpLy bcoz i thing big L is cuter than smaLL l :roll . whew, i hope i make sense.. haha!! btw, thanks for noticing!!! wahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! :thumleft:

infimum
Posts: 7
Joined: Nov 15th, '05, 10:48

Post by infimum » Jun 2nd, '07, 11:49

Did Miss Universe Riyo Mori Have Plastic Surgery?
http://www.makemeheal.com/news/?p=190

:lol

karin-chan
Posts: 359
Joined: Jan 19th, '07, 15:02
Location: Your bed

Post by karin-chan » Jun 2nd, '07, 13:52

wei, thanks for the info... but the pictures are very far from the Riyo Mori ive seen in the tv... i dunno bout that...

but im pretty sure the korean contestant reaLLy did... Moreover, surgery is common in those countries so its not a shock... but im just wondring if the candidates wiLL not be DQ if they reaLLY did? :scratch:

infimum
Posts: 7
Joined: Nov 15th, '05, 10:48

Post by infimum » Jun 2nd, '07, 17:51

karin-chan wrote:wei, thanks for the info... but the pictures are very far from the Riyo Mori ive seen in the tv... i dunno bout that...:
Well, the funny part is, it's obviously NOT her and they still haven't realized it.
It's miss Korea.
In the third picture from the left, you can see hangul, a Korean alphabet :lol

infimum
Posts: 7
Joined: Nov 15th, '05, 10:48

Post by infimum » Jun 2nd, '07, 18:06

The mess seems to have started with the blog below.
http://cosmetic-makeovers.com/2007/05/3 ... id-surgery

moderagio
Posts: 16
Joined: Jun 28th, '06, 12:44
Location: Paris

Post by moderagio » Jun 2nd, '07, 19:09

Very interesting thread. It seems there's a lot of rumors about plastic surgery... and that's bad publicity.
I really don't understand why it is so important. Beside the money needed, i don't see in what plastic surgery is different from being fashionable, tattooed, having piercing, getting an haircut or putting on make up.
If you can do it, why not ? Does being beautiful "naturally" really make you better ? If you really want or need nicest breasts, a prettier smile, or well... bigger "male parts" (i don't know if that's possible actually...) and could have it with surgery, why wouldn't you take the chance ?

karin-chan
Posts: 359
Joined: Jan 19th, '07, 15:02
Location: Your bed

Post by karin-chan » Jun 3rd, '07, 06:38

Well, the funny part is, it's obviously NOT her and they still haven't realized it.
It's miss Korea.
In the third picture from the left, you can see hangul, a Korean alphabet
gawd.. :glare: ?! and its going nowhere!!! .... hmm...
If you can do it, why not ? Does being beautiful "naturally" really make you better ? If you really want or need nicest breasts, a prettier smile, or well... bigger "male parts" (i don't know if that's possible actually...) and could have it with surgery, why wouldn't you take the chance ?
agree, but other some people are making a big sht on about this topic... to make things sipLe: if you have Loads of maney they why not?! and actuaLLy, making maLe parts bigger is now possibLe.... :roll

User avatar
DMPA
Posts: 272
Joined: Nov 18th, '06, 23:26
Location: In a place called Death

Post by DMPA » Jun 3rd, '07, 07:13

hm...good topic to throw in some oppinions. I would have to say that i prefer natural beauty over plastic, but in the industry that all of our 'loves' are in, it's hard without it, especially if you're not from the beautiful side of the world. I think some people just have too much money on their hands, and others are pressured to make the changes. But either way it's their desicion and we shouldn't judge by the appearace. just lik the saying goes 'don't judge a book by it's cover' it's the inside of the person that really matters.
M A Y A 91 1
Post on Topic : Kang Dong-won
Image

User avatar
sakura.kw
Posts: 24
Joined: Mar 6th, '07, 02:37
Location: Paradise--or so it's called

Post by sakura.kw » Jun 3rd, '07, 07:46

ninjamaster018 wrote:Seriously though, some of these people do look like they've had some work, but I'd like to tell all of you that don't know, that their is a make-up procedure called "contouring". Contouring is the use of expensive make-ups that have special lighting effects that make noses look thinner and other facial features, but I think for the most part, I think that the celebs are just rapidly changing with age in a positive manner.
Exactly what I was thinking. contouring is one of the basic make-up techniques for actresses/actor and models. There are special foundations which will give you the appearance of a perfect complexion no matter what your imperfections may be, and that includes scarring. Make up artists are truly that, artists and geniuses!

User avatar
BonnY
Posts: 38
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 20:59

Post by BonnY » Jun 5th, '07, 14:54

does anybody know if ando masanobu did sumthin like that???

karin-chan
Posts: 359
Joined: Jan 19th, '07, 15:02
Location: Your bed

Post by karin-chan » Jun 6th, '07, 04:08

does anybody know if ando masanobu did sumthin like that???
that dude is hot in battLe royaLe!! :w00t: nut i dont think he did stuffs Like that...

heavenlybody04
Posts: 8
Joined: Jun 2nd, '07, 07:48
Location: In your wildest dreams?

Post by heavenlybody04 » Jun 6th, '07, 07:37

wait.. Is it true that one of the members of c-ute (mai hagiwara) had an eyelid surgery??

If it's true, oh my she's too young to have a surgery, isn't very dangerous?

but anyway she's still looks the cutest for me.. well next to airi of course haha

Are there any other H!P members that have undergone plastic surgeries or something?

ly_ygtq
Posts: 13
Joined: Mar 10th, '07, 22:38

Post by ly_ygtq » Jun 18th, '07, 06:10

OK enough with this nonsense
let's face it - we all have embarrassing childhood photos
I'm sure some jap celebs have done plastic surgery but not ALL pretty boys/girls have to be man-made
In fact, some myths have to be cleared concerning the mysterious eyelid that only Asian (as in China-Japan-Korea) people have

When you're not Asian, it's hard to believe, but OUR EYELIDS CAN CHANGE FROM DAY-TO-DAY NATURALLY
If we cried the previous night, or didnt have enough sleep, our eyes look puffy and we'll get the so-called "Ryo-after-plastic surgery" look
Some people are blessed with double eyelids from birth(usually they have what we call "outter-double" or 外双), but a whole lot of Asian ppl are born with single eyelids and as they grow up, the eyelids changes into double eyelids, usually they are "inner double" (内双) - aka sometimes u can barely see them, sometimes they're more obvious

and then there's something called the DOUBLE EYELID GLUE/TAPE that can change the shape of eyes, turn single eyelids into double eyelids, or make the "inner double" eyelids more obvious
It's quite popular these days esp in Taiwan, and stars like Joseph Cheng and Barbie Hsu openly admit they use it
CHECK THIS OUT
Image
(credit)
see? no surgery needed
and the neat thing with this is - for some ppl, if you use this daily, after a while ur eyelids will change on its own and u won't need this anymore.

lastly, about plastic eye surgery
I'm somewhat of an expert on this topic because I plan on getting one when I get older, so some research was made ><
I have extremely heavy single eyelids, and even with using Eyetalk double eyelid glue, they won't stay that way all day ... it makes me self-concious and since i wont be turning into a celeb of any sort so this decision will (hopefuly) not be judged "immoral" by the public

So there are basically 3 types of eye plastic surgeries

1 - thread embedding: this is the simpliest form of eye sugery, some sort of thread is embedded into the upper eyelid, it can be obsorbed by the skin as time passes.
In China it costs about $30~80 USD depending on the facility/surgen/location (big city vs.small town), and usually beauty salons offer this service...... So it's more like an ear piercing and not such a HUGE DEAL like a boob job
Downfall of this is that sometimes u can see the thread, and some ppl's eyelids are too thick and heavy for this to turn out natural... so it's not for everyone.
randomly googled example
(and I think u can also suck some fat out of ur upper eyelid while u r at it.. not too sure though)

2 - actual surgery, where the skin has to be cut open and the whole upper eyelid re-constructed. A lot more expensive than option #1, and a lot more time it takes to heal, but the change can be more dramatic/subtle (whichever ur personal choice is) and the result if more natural (if done right)
From what I've heard..... a few hospitals/clinics in Korea are famed for their excellent eye sugeries =v= ppl travel from China/TW/Japan to get their eyes done in Korea

3 - if someone wants even more dramatically bigger eyes, she may choses to cut her eyes open just a bit in the inner corner.... it's the furtherest one can go, and many ppl suspect Ayumi Hamasaki have got hers done(IMO her eyes are scarily huge... OTZ)
Personally I would never go for this, it sounds scary...... WHAT IF UR EYES FALL OUT OF THE SOCKETS?? :blink
And if not done by a top-notch surgen, it will leave an ugly scar that'll haunt u for the rest of ur life


So in conclusion, Uchi, Bakanishi, and most of the previously mentioned female stars probably hasn't done any eye surgery.
Kame .... he looks like he could've done something with his eyelids...... but then I know ppl who has changed from single to double in their late teens, or even early 20s - due to loss of baby fat
and does it really matter? :roll we all know its the tweezed eyebrows that gives him the cleaner look

karin-chan
Posts: 359
Joined: Jan 19th, '07, 15:02
Location: Your bed

Post by karin-chan » Jun 18th, '07, 13:57

^^

easy... easy... i believe this thread is not to bash those celebs who undergone surgery, thats what you call GOSSIP!!! :lol

anyway, i saw that thing on other sites when im googling tips on how to make eyes look bigger... if im not mistaken they call that eye torture. Personally, i have chinky eyes that most people wonder if im a Japanese, Korean or Chinese. Okay, i aLso like my eyes to get bigger... but i really find that torture thingy weird!!! but seriously, her eye became wider.. the type that even sadako would be freaked out!!! hahahahahah!!! but nevertheless, did really did yr homework.. :thumleft:

ly_ygtq
Posts: 13
Joined: Mar 10th, '07, 22:38

Post by ly_ygtq » Jun 18th, '07, 16:20

lol I'm not angry, just tired of ppl's misconception that IF an asian person's single eyelids turn double, he/she MUST HAVE gotten a plastic surgery
=__________=
I tell u.. that is not the case... lol

sayuri43
Posts: 16
Joined: Feb 26th, '06, 08:45
Contact:

Post by sayuri43 » Jul 10th, '07, 07:07

I think you must be a Korean, right? I just noticed as I save the pictures you posted here that all of them were named "jijimansey" (The crazy Korean girl I mentiond in a previous post). I guess Korean people love to dissing Japanese... Not all of them but many of them, you know... ;0
I was actually quite offended by this. There was no reason to attack Koreans. None at all. You don't even know for sure if they are Korean, and regardless of that fact, it gave you no right to stereotype them in this way.

So before you brush off this post, thinking that the Koreans are probably banding together to defend themselves here, let me point out that I'm Japanese.

Also, I want it to be known that I'm not attacking you. In my opinion it was rude of you to berate them, but if that was not your intention (which it may not have been, perhaps I read the post incorrectly) then I apologize.

As for this topic, I'm tired of the public debating about the celebrities and their plastic surgery. If they had it, they had it. Enough said. It's not hurting anyone, so why should we be involved in their own private affairs? Many people elect to have plastic surgery. It's the person's own decision. But the obsession that we seem to have with them being "natural" or not is ridiculous. You are praising them for their genes, and that is it.

And for anyone who missed the entire point of this post, I'm not arguing that these people have had plastic surgery or not, I'm simply stating my opinion on plastic surgery.

Don't bash, it's not worth your time or mine.

Ayulyn
Posts: 130
Joined: Jan 9th, '06, 07:00
Location: Alaska

Post by Ayulyn » Jul 10th, '07, 07:27

sayuri43 wrote:
I think you must be a Korean, right? I just noticed as I save the pictures you posted here that all of them were named "jijimansey" (The crazy Korean girl I mentiond in a previous post). I guess Korean people love to dissing Japanese... Not all of them but many of them, you know... ;0
I was actually quite offended by this. There was no reason to attack Koreans. None at all. You don't even know for sure if they are Korean, and regardless of that fact, it gave you no right to stereotype them in this way.

So before you brush off this post, thinking that the Koreans are probably banding together to defend themselves here, let me point out that I'm Japanese.

Also, I want it to be known that I'm not attacking you. In my opinion it was rude of you to berate them, but if that was not your intention (which it may not have been, perhaps I read the post incorrectly) then I apologize.

As for this topic, I'm tired of the public debating about the celebrities and their plastic surgery. If they had it, they had it. Enough said. It's not hurting anyone, so why should we be involved in their own private affairs? Many people elect to have plastic surgery. It's the person's own decision. But the obsession that we seem to have with them being "natural" or not is ridiculous. You are praising them for their genes, and that is it.

And for anyone who missed the entire point of this post, I'm not arguing that these people have had plastic surgery or not, I'm simply stating my opinion on plastic surgery.

Don't bash, it's not worth your time or mine.

Well said.

User avatar
Shadow Hexagram
Posts: 390
Joined: May 22nd, '05, 05:34
Location: Paca - France
Contact:

Post by Shadow Hexagram » Jul 10th, '07, 07:44

plastic surgery or not, they all pee, poop and have a smelly morning-breath like everybody else....

But after all, aren't we all thrilled to see on screen or on billboards appealing actors and actresses? Cosmetics and surgery matter less than the image we, consumers, can get.
Yeah, Panda !!!

viet_la_amour
Posts: 81
Joined: Apr 10th, '06, 20:11

Post by viet_la_amour » Jul 17th, '07, 19:40

i knew there was such a thing as jawline surgery!!! lol. yayyyyyy for plastic surgery. one day there might be no such thing as ugly people............ O_o probably not, the standardswill just probably go up. drats for me LOL.

are double eyelids really that more attractive? it's to get bigger eyes, right? but when i see before and after photos, usually their eye size looks the same, and the only difference is that they have two creases instead of one.. is it really possible to have double eyelid surgerys to have humungo eyes like some korean girls? i think that'sjust what you are born with?? unless you have some drastic eyelid surgery......
Ly Bang Bang :wub:

User avatar
MitsukaiKuroi
Posts: 385
Joined: Jan 16th, '07, 18:03
Location: Where Six Side Is Heaven And Nine Side Is Go...

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Jul 18th, '07, 02:06

I actually think that extreme plastic surgery (no matter what race you are) is really racial and/or personal self hatred. There is nothing wrong with improvement (God knows I could use a little here and there) but the extremes of Ayumi Hamasaki are disturbing to me. Why?

It comes off as saying that Asian features are unattractive and that Caucasian features are better. That in itself is sad to IMO. If someone has something that makes their face look "odd" and they want to straighten out, or a small something that makes them feel better, then I say go for it! But changing yourself to the point that you don't really resemble your race (ala Ayumi or Michael Jackson) screams out for help. (small things like a minor nose job or face lift doesn't bother me)

I have never understood why people consider "double eyelids", blonde, pencil nose, bologna lips, starvation thin and deathly pale (except in dark haired/pale skin Goth) is MORE attractive than the way they are.

Guess it just comes from all of the "great White invasions" of the different countries but I just don't get it... :|

SP1CA
Posts: 722
Joined: Aug 27th, '07, 19:20
Location: IZMIR/TURKEY
Contact:

Post by SP1CA » Dec 4th, '07, 20:35

ringo0_0: great job'' :D you're the best really, too much effort :D

User avatar
jigenbakuda
Posts: 107
Joined: Nov 18th, '07, 04:43
Location: Jacksonville Florida

Post by jigenbakuda » Dec 9th, '07, 03:52

Okay I have a question. Are my babies juri ueno, chiaki kuriyama, and miho kanno plastic? I saw miho on the one of the links, so she might be, but are the others plastic? Also are any gravure idols non-plastic?

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2039
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Dec 9th, '07, 04:46

jigenbakuda wrote:Okay I have a question. Are my babies juri ueno, chiaki kuriyama, and miho kanno plastic? I saw miho on the one of the links, so she might be, but are the others plastic? Also are any gravure idols non-plastic?
You won't get a straight answer. Never. It isn't like these people place "plastic surgery" on their resumes. It is quite interesting to note that despite idiots like FRIDAY magazine and the other sports tabloids, secrets can still be kept within the geinokai. I mean, we STILL don't know when Gackt was REALLY born. Lots of speculation, but really no carved-in-stone credible sources.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

marriedtomisaki
Posts: 84
Joined: Jan 15th, '07, 14:42

Post by marriedtomisaki » Dec 9th, '07, 07:53

This is stupid. Some of these girls just look like they got older. Things happen when you get older. IF someone saw picture of me then and now people wou;d think I replaced my head. One of those pictures Koda kumi is wearing a pushup braw in the other she isn't. Doesn't mean she got a boob job. One the girl has make up the other she doesn't. Have you seen some girls without makeup its quite awful sometimes. I think eyes for the msot part is the farthest these girls will go. I'll forgive misaki for her nose because she is so damn beautiful in so many other ways.

User avatar
portiaisabel
Posts: 46
Joined: Dec 4th, '06, 08:28
Location: in the heart... of... inside of.....

Post by portiaisabel » Feb 13th, '08, 07:52

Thanks....some really did have plastic surgery esp. korean whenever i watch my korean channel they seem so open about double eye lids but

BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE------------------> im asian i have small eyes.. it is weird but my other eye have a double eyelid goin on my left one is smaller... weird recently i just turned 18 my left eye started to sport a double eyelid... which means now i have a double eyelid thing goin on i definitely did not have a plastic surgery ah yes when i went to china i saw this plastic sticker like thingy that u put in ur eyelid for it to have a double eye lid thing goin on....so im just thinking maybe in photoshoots they wear these thing so u can see their eyes...anyways i dont care about them having plastic surgery but make sure theyre not bad and too many and i hate breast implants okay...

SP1CA
Posts: 722
Joined: Aug 27th, '07, 19:20
Location: IZMIR/TURKEY
Contact:

Post by SP1CA » Feb 13th, '08, 13:50

well, people's eyelids are mostly not symmetric :D

cammy_blue
Posts: 62
Joined: Feb 6th, '06, 19:54
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by cammy_blue » Sep 30th, '10, 03:18

I'm Chinese and it's weird. I can definately see for the ones that may be chubbier when they were younger and there's a slight difference in looks it may not be plastic surgery. When I was younger, I had a very chubby face, so that made my eyes look smaller (I also have monolids), but now that I'm older and my face has gotten skinner, one of my eyes has actually randomly developed a double eyelid (when I'm tired) and depending on the amount of sleep I got, my eyes would kind of change shape.

My friend once commented that I had really big eyes one day, which happened to be the day I was really tired but I looked very alert. Then I looked in the mirror and they were huge! Not to say that this is the case for everyone but for the ones that have just slight changes that could be the reason. Also with growing up. I know there are some pictures of my own that I don't really look like the same person. I have a huge nose and I think I kind of grew into it as well. (not to say I'm beautiful as if I had plastic surgery, but just grew into my looks I guess.)

I do believe that some celebs have had surgery. I taught in Japan and even students would go over to Seoul to get something done. I know someone had their lips enlarged. They looked kind of weird when they got back and I stared..

raingirl
Posts: 21
Joined: Feb 9th, '12, 06:08

Post by raingirl » Mar 5th, '12, 06:09

I am not sure, but I think only very little Japanese artists and actors undergo surgery. Maybe for Koreans, but a lot of the Japanese celebrities I see have high nose bridge and a good face, so they don't have to change their looks drastically. Maybe for some, but I doubt. I may be wrong though.

User avatar
YukawaManabu
Posts: 52
Joined: Jun 27th, '13, 15:42

Post by YukawaManabu » Jul 6th, '13, 05:47

I guess surgery is a sort of requirement when you are in the entertainment industry. I mean, it's not just limited to the Japanese or the Koreans. At least the Japanese ones are nice, right? Compared to those things you see in Hollywood.

Gackt looks nice and all -- I mean, beautiful. Haha.

User avatar
ooyoo
Posts: 199
Joined: Sep 13th, '07, 15:14
Location: Moo

Post by ooyoo » Jul 6th, '13, 06:07

"Cleopatra no Onnatachi" (2012) is a drama all about a plastic surgery clinic. It's got a lot of big name actors in it and it's pretty 'educamacational' and preachy about how people need plastic surgery to solve problems in their lives, so from that it seems that plastic surgery has been accepted into mainstream society.

(Interestingly, there's a gay theme in this drama as well, with a large part of the story being one character's unrequited love for another character - if you wanna come out and get plastic surgery, seems like Japan's a good place to go! :D)

User avatar
Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5685
Joined: Apr 9th, '06, 11:27
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by Keiko1981 » Jul 6th, '13, 06:30

It's sad that you think you have to get a surgery just because of esthetic reasons, doing it for a medical reason is a completely something different.
Forum Rules

Gifted OnesTwitter MyDramaList.com

Ongoing Projects
Asaki Yumemishi, Inochi, Oshin, Seoul 1945, Takane no Hana

User avatar
YukawaManabu
Posts: 52
Joined: Jun 27th, '13, 15:42

Post by YukawaManabu » Jul 7th, '13, 04:28

People never really get satisfied with their looks, I guess ^^;;
But I agree on getting surgery for medical/health reasons. I have a friend who had a mole removed because of cancer risks.

User avatar
foshio88
Posts: 51
Joined: Oct 24th, '05, 20:10
Location: Malaysia

Post by foshio88 » Jan 12th, '14, 09:23

Thank you ringo, wau

nah, i think its common now to do plastic surgery, but then there's make-up, contact lens and double eyelid glue. :D

majority i think eye job, cheek liposuction, teeth repairment /whiten, v-shape face/chin/jaw, boob job so so, but it didn't goes too far.

Some did to perfection like the Korean or Chinese or Taiwan one but hey, its their decision to make though.

Western actress and actors did surgery too, to survive in harsh entertainment industry. :whistling: :roll
Image
Siggie made by angelcoolz, THANK YOU DEAR! :wub:
NEWS,SuJu,F.T Island,Se7en rawks!
where''s my 100posts go to? :whistling:

doodoofan
Posts: 44
Joined: Nov 15th, '06, 18:57

Post by doodoofan » Sep 13th, '14, 13:36

I lived in Japan for a year, so I know that Japanese people think their appearances are very important. I hardly ever saw a Japanese woman going out without heavy make-up, colorful nails, and beautiful dresses. But I don't think many of them had plastic surgery though. The proof is not many Japanese actors or actresses have amazing look, like Korean idols. Look at Arashi, they are not handsome, yet they're popular all around Japan. Maybe Japanese people like Korean idols because of their looks, but it doesn't mean they like their own actors any less.

User avatar
zetobelt
Posts: 152
Joined: Jun 25th, '06, 04:39
Location: Argentina

Post by zetobelt » Dec 3rd, '14, 18:33

I don't trust much in those "before & after" photo comparisons.
They simply took the worst posible picture they could find (very young, without makeup or any production) and then compare it with a professional photo.

Here is a 16 years old Ueto Aya, from "3-nen B-gumi Kinpachi Sensei 6". When she got "surgery"? At 12!?

Image

Jamie Mac
Posts: 5
Joined: May 17th, '16, 07:04

Re:

Post by Jamie Mac » May 17th, '16, 07:44

doodoofan wrote:I lived in Japan for a year, so I know that Japanese people think their appearances are very important. I hardly ever saw a Japanese woman going out without heavy make-up, colorful nails, and beautiful dresses. But I don't think many of them had plastic surgery though. The proof is not many Japanese actors or actresses have amazing look, like Korean idols. Look at Arashi, they are not handsome, yet they're popular all around Japan. Maybe Japanese people like Korean idols because of their looks, but it doesn't mean they like their own actors any less.
I agree with you there and that has been my experience too.

I suspect for the majority of celebrities, if they do get something done it's fairly subtle

mypillow
Posts: 1
Joined: May 28th, '16, 19:46

Re: Re:

Post by mypillow » May 28th, '16, 20:20

Jamie Mac wrote:
doodoofan wrote:I lived in Japan for a year, so I know that Japanese people think their appearances are very important. I hardly ever saw a Japanese woman going out without heavy make-up, colorful nails, and beautiful dresses. But I don't think many of them had plastic surgery though. The proof is not many Japanese actors or actresses have amazing look, like Korean idols. Look at Arashi, they are not handsome, yet they're popular all around Japan. Maybe Japanese people like Korean idols because of their looks, but it doesn't mean they like their own actors any less.
I agree with you there and that has been my experience too.

I suspect for the majority of celebrities, if they do get something done it's fairly subtle
What a funny thing to see this thread from a decade ago bumped every couple of years. The comments, including the heavily invested Japanese nationalist kid are like a time machine... wonder what he must think if he read his comment all these years later, he probably has a job and kids and things by now cringe.

I'll comment on what you posted though, generally we in the West love to make judgments on Asian cultures and the old stereotype is that Asians care a lot about beauty and this is certainly true in my time in Japan. For example at least since the 60s Japanese women have consumed the most on skincare products, and there's studies where Japanese women spend the most time on their nightly skincare like an hour on average. Although this likely is fairly consistent in East Asia: China & Korea among women who can afford it, and the difference probably is that Japan is still a richer country with more disposable income

If you've been to Asia though it does seem that culturally or biologically they are concerned with and appreciate beauty more than in the West, specifically facial features. I'm American (white & latino if it makes a difference) and I can definitely tell you that here a lot of guys really don't really care what a woman's actual features look like. You could line up 10 girls who are more or less similar facially and guys will just go with the one with the best ass. In Asia it's reversed, many guys, and most women couldn't care less about the things we focus on: big ass or big boobs and they fixate on things like facial structure and fair skin.

As far as plastic surgery, certain countries have higher rates like US, Brazil, Korea, Iran, Israel and yes Japan. But there isn't a huge discrepancy, it's percentage points. The internet would have you believe that it's like 75% in one place and 1% in another but it's around 15% in most develop countries. The main difference is WHAT gets fixed. In Israel the vast majority are nose jobs. In the US it's boobs. Brazil has butt implants. In East Asia it's almost all eye surgery, but also things like jaw shaving. You can see that what makes PS particularly polarizing and easy to project onto other cultures is WHAT they do seems so alien and foreign to us... imagine a Japanese woman getting butt implants as in Brazil, or Brazilians getting eyelid surgery. The surgery itself highlights what's different between us... which brings racist and nationalists into the conversation by its very nature

The thing that's totally missing from this thread, and THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT is ironically in the title of the thread. The prevalence of plastic surgery in Japanese SOCIETY is completely disparate from in Japanese ENTERTAINMENT.

Take as AXIOM that whoever you see on TV... whether it's a Japanese celeb or an African American or Jewish or Latin or white has had work done. It's basically part of their job. It's just a matter of what we fixate on. Basically if people talk about it a lot, then ppl think it's widespread, if people don't talk about it, they assume it doesn't exist. In Hollywood, pretty much any woman you can think of any race or culture on "most beautiful lists" have had plastic surgery, often dramatic... as in Beyonce's or Natalie Portman's noses. Scarlette Johannson, Kim Kardashian, Halle Berry, Megan Fox, Angelina Jolie, Taylor Swift, Salma Hayek, etc etc etc etc

Plastic surgery in a SOCIETY is totally different. People try to conflate the two and even make it nationalistic, as if plastic surgery by celebs somehow is a statement on how "natural" or even how beautiful the general population is. This is total bollocks. For example there was a comment in earlier in this thread how "75% of Koreans have single eyelids" and thus since most Korean actresses have double eyelids it means they have all had plastic surgery.

Lol it shows how people can't even form logical conclusions. It actually IS true that 3/4 of Koreans have monolids. Actually it could be closer to 80%. This is because Koreans are the most pureblood Mongoloid major nation in East Asian. It's also why they tend to be bigger body mass (taller) but have shorter limbs and larger heads... they are all evolutionary cold weather adaptations which haven't been as mitigated by mixing as Japanese or Southern Chinese. But even if say 90% of Koreans had monolids... ACTRESSES like ATHLETES represent .5& or less of the population. Plastic surgery or no THEY DO NOT LOOK ANYTHING LIKE AVERAGE KOREANS so it's completely irrelevant whether 75% or 80% or even 90% of Koreans have monolids, they are purposefully SELECTING for the 5 people in a thousand who either have double eyelids or look awesome in some other way. It has nothing to do with stats when they are by definition outliers of the norm.

The entire argument is like looking at the Japanese and Korean national basketball team and saying.... the average height in Korea is 5 foot 10 and the average height in Japan is 5 foot 7. All these players are 6 foot 6.... they must have had their shins broken and elongated... It fails simple logic.

Basically yes Japanese get a lot of surgery. Not the most in the world but they are up there and within a couple people per 100 of the highest. This is primarily because 1)they can afford it and 2)Japanese and other East Asians appreciate beauty. As a separate issue Japanese or any entertainer in the world likely has had plastic surgery and this makes no comment on the incidence of surgery in the general public

Jamie Mac
Posts: 5
Joined: May 17th, '16, 07:04

Re: Re:

Post by Jamie Mac » Jun 1st, '16, 10:38

mypillow wrote:
Jamie Mac wrote:
doodoofan wrote:I lived in Japan for a year, so I know that Japanese people think their appearances are very important. I hardly ever saw a Japanese woman going out without heavy make-up, colorful nails, and beautiful dresses. But I don't think many of them had plastic surgery though. The proof is not many Japanese actors or actresses have amazing look, like Korean idols. Look at Arashi, they are not handsome, yet they're popular all around Japan. Maybe Japanese people like Korean idols because of their looks, but it doesn't mean they like their own actors any less.
I agree with you there and that has been my experience too.

I suspect for the majority of celebrities, if they do get something done it's fairly subtle
What a funny thing to see this thread from a decade ago bumped every couple of years. The comments, including the heavily invested Japanese nationalist kid are like a time machine... wonder what he must think if he read his comment all these years later, he probably has a job and kids and things by now cringe.

I'll comment on what you posted though, generally we in the West love to make judgments on Asian cultures and the old stereotype is that Asians care a lot about beauty and this is certainly true in my time in Japan. For example at least since the 60s Japanese women have consumed the most on skincare products, and there's studies where Japanese women spend the most time on their nightly skincare like an hour on average. Although this likely is fairly consistent in East Asia: China & Korea among women who can afford it, and the difference probably is that Japan is still a richer country with more disposable income

If you've been to Asia though it does seem that culturally or biologically they are concerned with and appreciate beauty more than in the West, specifically facial features. I'm American (white & latino if it makes a difference) and I can definitely tell you that here a lot of guys really don't really care what a woman's actual features look like. You could line up 10 girls who are more or less similar facially and guys will just go with the one with the best ass. In Asia it's reversed, many guys, and most women couldn't care less about the things we focus on: big ass or big boobs and they fixate on things like facial structure and fair skin.

As far as plastic surgery, certain countries have higher rates like US, Brazil, Korea, Iran, Israel and yes Japan. But there isn't a huge discrepancy, it's percentage points. The internet would have you believe that it's like 75% in one place and 1% in another but it's around 15% in most develop countries. The main difference is WHAT gets fixed. In Israel the vast majority are nose jobs. In the US it's boobs. Brazil has butt implants. In East Asia it's almost all eye surgery, but also things like jaw shaving. You can see that what makes PS particularly polarizing and easy to project onto other cultures is WHAT they do seems so alien and foreign to us... imagine a Japanese woman getting butt implants as in Brazil, or Brazilians getting eyelid surgery. The surgery itself highlights what's different between us... which brings racist and nationalists into the conversation by its very nature

The thing that's totally missing from this thread, and THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT is ironically in the title of the thread. The prevalence of plastic surgery in Japanese SOCIETY is completely disparate from in Japanese ENTERTAINMENT.

Take as AXIOM that whoever you see on TV... whether it's a Japanese celeb or an African American or Jewish or Latin or white has had work done. It's basically part of their job. It's just a matter of what we fixate on. Basically if people talk about it a lot, then ppl think it's widespread, if people don't talk about it, they assume it doesn't exist. In Hollywood, pretty much any woman you can think of any race or culture on "most beautiful lists" have had plastic surgery, often dramatic... as in Beyonce's or Natalie Portman's noses. Scarlette Johannson, Kim Kardashian, Halle Berry, Megan Fox, Angelina Jolie, Taylor Swift, Salma Hayek, etc etc etc etc

Plastic surgery in a SOCIETY is totally different. People try to conflate the two and even make it nationalistic, as if plastic surgery by celebs somehow is a statement on how "natural" or even how beautiful the general population is. This is total bollocks. For example there was a comment in earlier in this thread how "75% of Koreans have single eyelids" and thus since most Korean actresses have double eyelids it means they have all had plastic surgery.

Lol it shows how people can't even form logical conclusions. It actually IS true that 3/4 of Koreans have monolids. Actually it could be closer to 80%. This is because Koreans are the most pureblood Mongoloid major nation in East Asian. It's also why they tend to be bigger body mass (taller) but have shorter limbs and larger heads... they are all evolutionary cold weather adaptations which haven't been as mitigated by mixing as Japanese or Southern Chinese. But even if say 90% of Koreans had monolids... ACTRESSES like ATHLETES represent .5& or less of the population. Plastic surgery or no THEY DO NOT LOOK ANYTHING LIKE AVERAGE KOREANS so it's completely irrelevant whether 75% or 80% or even 90% of Koreans have monolids, they are purposefully SELECTING for the 5 people in a thousand who either have double eyelids or look awesome in some other way. It has nothing to do with stats when they are by definition outliers of the norm.

The entire argument is like looking at the Japanese and Korean national basketball team and saying.... the average height in Korea is 5 foot 10 and the average height in Japan is 5 foot 7. All these players are 6 foot 6.... they must have had their shins broken and elongated... It fails simple logic.

Basically yes Japanese get a lot of surgery. Not the most in the world but they are up there and within a couple people per 100 of the highest. This is primarily because 1)they can afford it and 2)Japanese and other East Asians appreciate beauty. As a separate issue Japanese or any entertainer in the world likely has had plastic surgery and this makes no comment on the incidence of surgery in the general public
You quoted me so are you referring to me as a nationalist? Or was it just because was the last person to comment on this super old thread (didn't realise how old it was - it was only a few posts down from the top so I guess that shows how dead this place is these days).

You are probably right about the incidence of PS in Japan. I probably just don't notice it because I'm Australian and I only notice the 50 y/o women with orange skin, double - Ds and martini glasses perched on top (I'm only partly joking). I'm tuned to thinking that's what plastic surgery means.

I am also biased of course, because my wife's family and all her friends don't have anything done. So that combined with not noticing the subtler points means I assumed it was a bit less common there.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest