discussion! japanese youth´way of life (freetime/fashion)

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
MinaPi

discussion! japanese youth´way of life (freetime/fashion)

Post by MinaPi » Sep 28th, '06, 18:13

I know it may be boring and I even don´t know whether this has been already discussed about on D-Addicts, but I still would like to discuss with everyone who´s interested and has an opinion to leave!
I mean most of us are from Europe and America. And we don´t get to know much about Asian culture and way of life! I´m not used with it!
I have always been wondering about japanese youth! How they spend their freetime, especially how they dress! In many dramas I used to see the ordinary looks, mostly the school-look in school-doramas!
I´ve heard about Cosplay but have never seen it with my own eys (i´ve never been to Japan!)
So I thought why not to talk with you about stuff like that! I mean some of you must have been to Japan ...
I found some information on the internet where I also got all those pictures I´ve posted!
I´m wondering what the japanese youth looks like, fashion, hairstyles, everything!
You know, japanese fashion is extravagant. Everybody is an individual! Nobody cares about how others look like, they create their own style, they copy the style of popular singers/boybands/girlbands/mangas/animes and so on ...but they always brach out this fashion style on their own.
I mean, there´s this visual kei scene ( mostly of the japanese young people should know Dir en Grey!) with this crazy, dazzling hair and leather clothes and this gothic lolita style, but isn´t there a punk style popular as well?
I noticed that in Japan also the bad boy style with baggy pants is growing! And those basketball guys..and about ordinary girls, which use to buy only name brands, e.g. Prada bags, Burberry scarfs, Polo Ralph pullover ...I heard, that kimono is getting popular this days!
So this is all about I would like to discuss. Just your opinions. What do you think about japanese fashion? Which kind of clothes would you prefer? Is it true, that today, the whole high school has pupils with dyed hair, from light brown to blonde? Do girls wear mini skirts, high heels, long socks...coloured contact lenses..

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Sep 28th, '06, 18:28

Stereotypically japanese fashion is extremely weird and many japanese follow that stereotype, but for the most part it's like in america.

At school I saw international students wear all sorts of things. One wore a michael jackson hat (you know the kind), another wore some kind of green school uniform thingy with tears and her hair was ... different. Others wore a tanktop over a shirt (this one I've seen many times) and one wore this really hot tight black/red/brown thing that made even me speechless. One I saw wore extremely baggy shirts and sweatshirts with really tight jeans and she usually wore a gilligan hat.

As for the guys. they dressed pretty normally. some were a little more grungy than the rest of us, but apart from that the most distinguishable thing about them was they wore white a lot.

As for cosplay, only otaku and fujoshi do that. They're not exactly very popular people in Japan. In fact if you don't have at least 5 fujoshi trying to commit an elaborate suicide on the inernet every night, then something is wrong in japan.

MinaPi

Post by MinaPi » Sep 28th, '06, 18:30

I FORGOT TO POST THIS...
Attachments
VISUAL KEI SCENE.JPG
VISUAL KEI SCENE.JPG (30.4 KiB) Viewed 22718 times

ピコ&

Post by ピコ& » Sep 29th, '06, 03:00

But-but-but-but!!! Cosplay is very popular at anime conventions, and not only otaku cosplay!

I believe that the "gothic lolita" fashion in Japan is also more common nowadays.

Dyed hair is very popular in Japan, but also in other places as well. In my high school, more than 1/3 of everyone in my grade has dyed hair (bleached blonde, brown red etc)

Im not sure about what the latest trend and fashion in Japan, and I haven't been there yet, so I cant say much about it, besides from reading sources through the internet which may or may not be true.

slightlystalker

Post by slightlystalker » Sep 29th, '06, 08:14

haha i'm from singapore! haven't personally been to japan but i'm planning to go in december i guess (:

anyway, from what i know, japanese girls like the gothic fashion thing, and legwarmers? high socks hoho and yes DYED HAIR should be like everywhere! whenever jap girls come to singapore they always buy a whole load of branded goods, and that's mostly because things are extravagantly expensive there so :/ it makes more sense i guess!

in singapore, you can QUITE easily recognise jap girls. not only because of the uniform xD but also the high socks (because in singapore it's "cooler" to wear ankle socks) and the short, gravity-defying skirts hahaha.

big eyes! heavily mascara-ed? i'm not sure about this one but OH YES the neoprints they take, they make lots of cute poses!

fearspooky

Post by fearspooky » Sep 29th, '06, 09:36

ピコ& wrote:I believe that the "gothic lolita" fashion in Japan is also more common nowadays.
eh, its always been the same i think.

actually, i saw less people that had gothic lolita fashion when i was in harajuku this summer compared to 2 years ago. i cant remember whether i went on a sunday or not 2 years ago but there were crowds of gothic lolita people.. especially girls with black or white maid stuff. this year.. almost none.

theres probably more girls dressed in "funky clothes" (black and white stripes with other stuff) than guys in harajuku.

compared to the whole female gothic lolita fashion, the "gyaru" and "stylish" styles are more popular among girls in my opinion.

gyaru isnt just a fashion style.. but lifestyle. they live with loose morals, smoke and drink when they are not of the legal age. my friend who ive known for almost 8 years, is a "gyaru" and lemme tell u.. shes crazy outgoing its not even funny -.-;; there are different substyles within the "gyaru" style.. pale skinned (you can find a lot of those in the drama, "gal circle"), tanned /w blond hair, ganguro (super dark, close to black), yamamba (silver panda eyes+ markings.. includes guys), etc. ive heard from my friend that some people dress accordingly to which region they are from but i really dont know if its true or not. there are also guys that dress similar to gyaru girls called "gyaru-o".

[img]http://www.nhk.or.jp/151a/cast/018/1a.jpg[/img]

i really dont know how to describe the "stylish" style. sounds repetitive, haa. lets just say.. ones that dont stick out in the crowd.. but are stylish nonetheless. i pretty much dress in this style everyday. examples:
[img]http://www.style-arena.jp/omotesando/20 ... 3/a002.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.style-arena.jp/shibuya/2006/ ... 4/s003.jpg[/img]

fashion over there isnt limited to only these though. theres punk, hiphop (pretty big too), and more.
slightlystalker wrote: jap girls!
i know u typed japanese at first but please refrain from using the word "jap", thanks.[/img]

jellybean

Post by jellybean » Sep 29th, '06, 16:07

I love the stylish Japanese fashion and their 'out of the box' style. Their clothes aren't particularly different from UK clothing but its the way they wear it that stands them apart. I love it, to quote my friend "they alll look and dress like supermodels"

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Sep 29th, '06, 16:28

Almost all the Japanese students who come to the city where I live to study at the university or the college are very very dressed down - they are only in t-shirts and jeans. Of course they have the dyed hair (but then so do a lot of other Asians). I wonder if they just dress down because they're not in Japan. The city is quite conservative. However, the students from Taiwan or China are really dressed off-beat - I've seen quite a few in the whole visual-kei style - I was kind of surprised...

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Sep 30th, '06, 03:32

ピコ& wrote:But-but-but-but!!! Cosplay is very popular at anime conventions, and not only otaku cosplay!
Anime conventions are not exactly considered cool in Japan. And yes not only otaku Cosplay, fujoshi cosplay as well.

livefromtokyo

Post by livefromtokyo » Sep 30th, '06, 10:06

im in tokyo now and i just have to tell that japan is probably the most fashionable and trendiest places on earth, if not it, with the most beautiful population, atleast compared with the people of california (where i grew up) :P no offense.

i before i went was stunned by girls like, you know, koda kumi, rina uchiyama, well, beautiful famous japanese girls that most of you know about here, but i was surprised to see maybe 10 koda kumis in just 3 minutes walking in shibuya. and its not only girls, the dudes are so trendy and beatiful, im not gay but i have to cred them, just awesome people. some of you might like boybands like kattun and arashi, the boys there are pretty (?), and they are everywhere here in tokyo. YOu really see when a trendy japanese guy/girl is into fashion, there are these non-fashion people and the ones who are into it, oh my god, its so cool...

Jeshka

Post by Jeshka » Oct 11th, '06, 08:47

I teach at three high schools within the same city out in rural Japan. I can't really say what is "typical." But, these are some of my observations of current trends:

For free time, lots of Japanese students don't have what many of us would consider free time. Instead, many students join after school clubs. These clubs are year-long activities, and many meet every day--even on the weekends. For instance, students in brass band or baseball may have practice before school, after school, and on the weekends as well. Added to this is 7-8 hours of class, and sometimes classes or tests on the weekends. Then, after exhausting days, students have to do homework. Other students (those in less academically-rigorous high schools) may take part-time jobs as well. So, really, many students have very little free time. Shopping and karaoke are probably the most popular activities, or just hanging out in public places like puricura (print club) booths and food courts. Movies are very expensive where I live (about $18), so they aren't as popular, it seems. Dating, of course, is popular, too, though many students are initially shy about their relationships and like to keep them "secret."

As for fashion, there is a huge range of styles. However, most high school students (where I live) usually wear their school uniforms every day. At the high-level high school where I teach English, most students are very neat and wholesome. Students aren't allowed to dye their hair, wear make-up, or wear jewelry, and the dress code is very strict. My female students actually take pride in their natural appearances, and often have long, straight hair with fringe. The boys do tend to prefer gravity-defying hairstyles, though, and use lots of hair products. However, at the two voc/tech high schools were I work, the gyaru and gyaru-o look is very popular. Many girls roll up the waistbands of their skirts, so their skirts are very, very short. Also, mascara and heavy eye make-up is popular. The boys are very fashion-oriented, and tend to wear heavy silver rings, pants low on the waist and belted with wide, white-studded belts with massive belt buckles. Necklaces are also popular with boys--motifs like crosses, skulls, and feathers. Some students have lip or cheek piercings. Perfectly-groomed eyebrows and the fashion mullet are very popular with boys, too.

Even though I live in a rural city, people put a lot of time into their appearances. Current trends where I live (for women) are high socks (not the baggy kind) paired with high heels. Boots are worn by a lot of women, including tall, spiked-heeled boots and cowboy boots. Also, I see a lot of short skirts and layered tops (a long-sleeved shirt under a short-sleeved shirt under a cute camisole or tank top, with a cardigan over everything). Tight jeans paired with skirts or flowy dresses is also trendy. Stripes are a popular motif, as well as t-shirts with odd English slogans ("Now, Then, and Before", for example, or "Enjoy your Run!") High school girls also like converse sneakers alot. For younger men, accessories and hair seem really important. This year, short, fitted jackets--especially velvet--are worn by a lot of guys, as well as white jeans, torn blue jeans, or camoflage. Gyaru-o tend to rock the 1980's grungy hair-band look, with spiky, feathery bleached blond, silver, or tea-colored fashion mullets. Some guys also wear colored contacts, though this is less common. I think one thing most people have in common are keitai straps--decorative phone accessories. These are useful ways of showing your individuality and interests, so people tend to have a lot of them. Lilo and Stitch, as well as Mickey and Minnie, are super popular currently, so lots of high school students (male and female), have Stitch or Mickey keitai straps

Like in any other country, many people are concerned about their appearances, and are interested in shopping and fashion. And, of course, there are many different styles, depending on personal interests and such. And some people don't care at all about fashion. Though many looks seem original and creative, there are magazines and clothing stores designed to help people create the perfect statement.

kotaeshiranaihito

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Oct 11th, '06, 22:16

they have mullets in Japan?lol now that's funny.

Have any pics of the mullets?

babiiekitkat

Post by babiiekitkat » Oct 13th, '06, 20:33

Wow. I'm very much interested in Japanese fashion too--I think it quite unique from what you see here in the US..at least where I live. Everyone basically has the same style with teh exception of a few people...and it frustrates me when I decide to go trendy and different and I get weird stares because people would never have the guts to where certain things where I live.

But anyway, i'd like to see more pictures of the fashionable youth in japan!! =]

lanems

Post by lanems » Oct 16th, '06, 15:17

Really? Most of us are from Europe and America?

I don't think Japanese fashion differs that much from fashion in other Asian countries. If you mean Tokyo fashion there is a difference, but I wouldn't consider what you find in places like Harajuku or Shibuya to be representative of all of Japan. It would be like comparing LA fashion with the Midwest.

If you want to compare Japanese and Western fashions, the Asian mullet is very popular. Pointy shoes is something probably different from the West, especially guys wearing pointy shoes. A lot of the women's fashion is just whatever designer labels are targeting in Asia, which sometimes end up being really similar to what you find in the West only that if you live in suburban America I don't think you'll see very many LV bags or Gucci accessories. I guess you're more likely to see GAP or Abercrombie stuff on American youth.

Definately the big difference from Western and Japanese guys is the bag issue. It's ok for guys in Japan to carry what would be considered a purse by all standards in the West. Western guys will carry a "satchel" if they are comfortable with themselves, which is distinguished by a purse by how it goes across the chest. Anything with a short handle that goes under your arm wouldn't cut it in the West, but you'll see them everywhere in Japan.

It's kind of frustrating going to America though because if you don't carry your wallet in your pocket and have anything else with you, you really have to carry a bulky backpack and there's nothing inbetween you can use... I think the trend is changing, and definately in bigger cities you can get away with the "man-purse."

DareDesuKa
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DareDesuKa » Oct 24th, '06, 04:56

You say Tokyo fashion is seperate from suburban, more like LA... but I have to disagree. I go to college in the center of LA. Yeah, there's definately more guchi and what have you here than in my suburban hometown a bit to the north, but even in LA/Santa Monica/Hollywood, the fashion isn't as varied as in Tokyo in my view.

I lived for about a year in a suburb of Tokyo in the Saitama prefecture, and yes, there were more "trendy" people in Tokyo, but there was pretty much no chance of seeing any 2 people at the college wearing the same thing, whereas even here in LA it's not rare to see people at my college wearing the same thing.

I think more people in Japan think about fashion. Especially comparing LA guys to Tokyo (or even Saitama) guys.

slightlystalker

Post by slightlystalker » Oct 24th, '06, 12:27

Hey there. Sorry to ride on this topic but I was wondering - What are the usual trends for teenagers in Tokyo during the Christmas period? : D

AngelicLayer

Post by AngelicLayer » Oct 24th, '06, 13:47

I searched on the internet for some pics because I´ve never been to Japan. I found some interesting sites, really!
Japanese fashion is dat exiting, dat I dunno wot 2 say!!! As far as I know, there are 3 fashion styles popular : Kogal, Ganguro and GothiLoli. I thot bout those styles 4 girls and noticed dat sam of them r same as here in Germany, well, maybe not the gothic lolita style. I rily like the Kogal style. " small/childish girl " which is characterized by displaying their disposable incomes through unique tastes in fashion, music and social activity. In general, the kogals look roughly approximates as sun-tanned California Valley Girl. It´s common here in Germany, I think! Ganguro, well! Those black-faces! An outgrowth of chapatsu hair dying. Shibuya and Ikebukuro districst of Tokyo are the centre of ganguro fashion. The have bleached hair, a deep ton, both black and white eyeliners, false eye lashes, platform shoes, brightly colored outfits, sweet cell phones covered with purikura stickers, tie-dyed saragons, mini-skirts, a lot of bracelets, rings and necklaces.
And Gothic Lolita , wow, a Victorian porcelain dolls look. Some say it´s cute and childish-looking, but I dont think so! It looks scary to me! I dont even compare it to the cosplay! Classic Lolita has nice childish, pastel-colored chlothes and the Sweet Lolita lots of lace and ribbons. That´s cute. If I compare it to Germany, I would say that the Gothic Lolita in Japan is so popular, like Punk in Germany. Ganguro in Japan, is like the HipHop/R´n´B/ Soul style in Germany and Kogal like the normal Popstyle!

What I used to hear about men, I only know about the gyaru-o look. With brown dyed hair and tanned skin. They tend to wear a surfer attire or casual sports clothing. Now this style has been graduated to the onii-kei ( elder brother style, think of Kat-tun) Those men prefer a slick look, white tailored jackets, low-necked tank tops, imported jeans and pointed leather shoes. They also compare their outfits with sunglasses or belts. 8)
Attachments
Ganguro2.jpg
Ganguro2.jpg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 3898 times

MinaPi

Post by MinaPi » Oct 24th, '06, 14:04

Attachments
myoung-18b.jpg
myoung-18b.jpg (124.88 KiB) Viewed 3890 times

gotons

Post by gotons » Nov 7th, '06, 17:13

here is a picture I took while in Kobe last week. This should help some also...
Attachments
DSC00776.jpg
DSC00776.jpg (55.85 KiB) Viewed 3769 times