Where do you buy jdramas?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.

Where do you buy most of your j-dramas/ j-media

amazon.co.jp
11%
cdjapan.co.jp
44%
other on-line stores (pls name/review)
No votes
Japanese bookstore (Kino, etc)
No votes
Local Chinese / Korean store
11%
other brick & mortar stores
11%
buy?! People buy this stuff?!
22%

Total votes: 9

auroragb

Where do you buy jdramas?

Post by auroragb » Aug 1st, '06, 15:27

I just came across this site:
http://www.cinemashops.com/vcd.php3?gen ... &offset=10

Are they legit?

I get most of my jDramas from Chinese stores

edit: time to make this a poll
Last edited by auroragb on Aug 2nd, '06, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

Denwa

Post by Denwa » Aug 1st, '06, 15:35

A seller of definitely authentic (and in my experience, very reliable service) jdrama would be D-Addicts' own associate YesAsia.com. There's a link at the top of each page for it!

And that site doesn't seem legit either...

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Aug 1st, '06, 15:40

Also very expensive, a few other stores (like amazon.co.jp ) are just as reliable and cheaper

Crazy Penguin

Post by Crazy Penguin » Aug 1st, '06, 15:48

Region free DVD of S.O.S.? I'll believe it when I see it, or when I get the official statement from the tv station that produced it...

Ganbatte Ikimasshoi on VCDs? First time I see this, haven't seen it on ANY of my import shops, and one of them is actually in Hong Kong. As far as I know there is only one official release, and that is the DVD box that came out earlier this year. Subtitles says "Traditional Chinese"... I smell a fraud.

Personally... I doubt any of those is actually legal releases. I admit, there are a few series published outside of Japan with subtitles or dubbed (like Kozure Okami, or MPD), but those are far and few (the afore mentioned two are actually the only ones I can think of right now). The majority doesn't get published outside of Japan (Ganbatte certainly didn't, neither did Ame no Yume to ato ni and many others on that site) So many... unlikely. To me it looks like someone tries to sell what he downloaded here.

And honestly... To pick up Ganbatte Ikimasshoi again... USD 19.99 for VCDs is far too much. I can do it myself a lot cheaper, which I, in fact, did. Just download it here, plus the subs, then code it into DVD-suitable format (how to do it can be found on this board) and burn it. Tada... decent quality plus subtitles and far cheaper than that (nevertheless, I've already ordered the original DVD box, after all, it has to be part of my Anne-collection *whistles innocently*).

To say it again, looks like a rip-off to me.

I'm usually using www.sazuma.com (Austria; a bit slow at times, but if they can order it, you WILL get it, that is... if the postal service doesn't mess up) and www.play-asia.com (Hong Kong; fast as hell (to compare, a parcel from a place a few miles away from Vienna once took more than 14 days, regular mail from play-asia took 11 days), even from Hong Kong to Austria; Though, the important pieces -like Linda Linda Linda when it came out *happy owner of the first pressing*- I always order with UPS from them)
Last edited by Crazy Penguin on Aug 1st, '06, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

Denwa

Post by Denwa » Aug 1st, '06, 15:48

I forgot to mention cdjapan, they're a quality supplier as well (I've ordered from them before), although I find their prices to be almost identical to YesAsia when you factor in the shipping cost. I've yet to actually check out amazon.co.jp, but if their shipping rates are anything like their Western counterparts then I would say they are a more expensive option.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Aug 1st, '06, 15:51

I think that a comparison site between cdjapan, amazon.co.jp, and yesasia a la dvdpricesearch would be a cool thing.

Crazy Penguin

Post by Crazy Penguin » Aug 1st, '06, 15:55

auroragb wrote:I think that a comparison site between cdjapan, amazon.co.jp, and yesasia a la dvdpricesearch would be a cool thing.
Agreed.

Sucks if you're in Austria and have no credit card, though...

Tyrane

Post by Tyrane » Aug 1st, '06, 16:37

Chinese stores huh? Most of the DVDs and CDs I've seen in Asian CD & DVD shops around Sydney seem to be pirates :(

While JDramas would be ok to buy from YesAsia as Japan editions with R2 region encoding. I'd be a bid dubious about "Hong Kong Version" DVDs with no region encoding and a greatly reduced price from the "Japan Edition". While I cannot thing of any series/movies off the top of my head this has happened with, I know I've seen a few on YesAsia. That being said, every Asian DVD and CD I buy comes from YesAsia, and so far I've been very happy with them.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Aug 1st, '06, 18:23

Tyrane wrote:Chinese stores huh? Most of the DVDs and CDs I've seen in Asian CD & DVD shops around Sydney seem to be pirates :(
True, I was more interested in if the place was a legit operation that will sell illegal copies as a licensed items or just cd / dvd burns of what they DL'ed off the internet. 20$/series seems fair if it was licensed, otherwise, you're just paying for the DVD (probably only one or two discs), then $10-20 / disk is way too expensive

Well, as I require subs (Chinese or English) in order to fully appreciate jDramas, Chinese stores are my main option.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Aug 1st, '06, 18:30

YesAsia sells tons of bootleg unlicensed material. I have bought really crappy region 0 and region 3 bootlegs from them. When I buy something from them and it turns out to be crap, I post a review describing the problem in detail. They will often have both the genuine high quality region 3 dvd releases AND bootleg versions that were ripped from VCD!!

Here is YesAsia's bootleg version of a Stephen Chow film:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/c ... 004057017/

And here is the legit version:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/c ... 000000557/

Notice that the boot costs MORE money, even though the video quality on it is abysmal.
Last edited by pokute on Aug 1st, '06, 18:40, edited 2 times in total.

whyoh

Post by whyoh » Aug 1st, '06, 18:31

Don't support pirates that make money of others work. It's imo fine to at least make pirate it for free, but the moment you're supporting people that make money with stolen things I despise you. Piracy that makes money is done by those not willing enough to take on a proper job and besides they really ruin others buisnesses. Worst kind of people are those selling fansubs though, that's beyond lazyness and just to make big bucks of other peoples free work.

HK DVDs are usual utter bullshit too and at least english subs are not decryptable. China really needs to get their piracy under control, I hate them destroying other people work with their lazyness to innovate and think by themselves.

Tyrane

Post by Tyrane » Aug 1st, '06, 18:34

The only real reason I can see for buying a bootleg (as long as there is NO other way of getting it) would be to post it on the internet so others don't have to get ripped off and fuel the pirate industry.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Aug 1st, '06, 23:04

auroragb wrote:I think that a comparison site between cdjapan, amazon.co.jp, and yesasia a la dvdpricesearch would be a cool thing.
hrm, not a bad idea. I might just make such a site in my next holiday. :-)

Tyrane

Post by Tyrane » Aug 1st, '06, 23:18

pokute wrote:YesAsia sells tons of bootleg unlicensed material. I have bought really crappy region 0 and region 3 bootlegs from them. When I buy something from them and it turns out to be crap, I post a review describing the problem in detail. They will often have both the genuine high quality region 3 dvd releases AND bootleg versions that were ripped from VCD!!

Here is YesAsia's bootleg version of a Stephen Chow film:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/c ... 004057017/

And here is the legit version:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/c ... 000000557/

Notice that the boot costs MORE money, even though the video quality on it is abysmal.
That might be to play on people who presume the legit item might be the one that costs more. In my opinion, not having region encoding on the legitimate version doesn't help people identifying a proper copy. Although DTS should help with that since I'm guessing bootlegged versions wouldnt get burnt to anything better than a single layer DVD

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Aug 1st, '06, 23:41

It's true that bootlegs are rarely dual-layer (though that's becoming less true all the time), but it also happens to be true that a 2-1/2 hour movie that is encoded letterboxed (as most are these days, either 16:9 into 4:3, 2.35 into 16:9, or even, ugh, 2.35 into 4:3) can easily fit on a dvd5 with dual dts/ac3 audio and half a dozen subtitle tracks. An mpeg2 average bitrate of 3-4Mbits/s is enough for anything... discs with an average bitrate of 7Mbits/s are really just 3-4 with a huge amount of noise added.

Tyrane

Post by Tyrane » Aug 1st, '06, 23:47

I guess its a good thing that Japanese DVDs are fairly easy to spot bootlegged versions, but with a bajillion different Taiwan/Hong Kong etc versions to choose from it, doesnt really help. I wonder why YesAsia even bothers with bootlegs anyway... :-(

groink

Post by groink » Aug 1st, '06, 23:56

I buy most of my Japanese dramas via CDJapan (sorry Ruroshin!) And they're all genuine region-2. I also buy them used off the auction sites - most of the time on Yahoo Japan auctions. Through my years of experience buying genuine DVDs, I've come to three conclusions:

1. If the Japanese DVD has Chinese subtitles, I'd question the authenticity of the DVD. I've yet to see a legit drama DVD with Chinese subs. Movies may have them, but definitely not the dramas.

2. The silkscreen DVD labels are almost a clear indication of whether a DVD is genuine or fake. Most bootleg DVDs use silkscreening, and the graphics are of low quality (screen capture from a web page, scanned from the original, etc.)

3. Price. Bottom line, genuine Japanese DVDs are expensive. There is no such thing as a "great bargain" when it comes to genuine DVDs. Even the guy selling them used will want most of his investment returned to him. When you buy Japanese DVDs, plan on eating crackers and cheese whiz for lunch for the next month. If you're offered $89.95 for a complete set of Shinsengumi! DVDs, trust me - it's a bootleg.

--- groink

Tyrane

Post by Tyrane » Aug 2nd, '06, 00:19

groink wrote:If you're offered $89.95 for a complete set of Shinsengumi! DVDs, trust me - it's a bootleg.
They're about US$40 for a 2 episode DVD if I remember. Kinda makes the uncut version of the 1983 Legend of Condor Heroes for US$132 not seem so bad :blink

Edit: I see those complete boxsets for US$320 on YesAsia now.... thats 'ouch' on your wallet to say the least!

hkgirl

Post by hkgirl » Aug 2nd, '06, 02:14

Oh dear I feel I may just have bought some bootleg vcds from yesasia. I suppose you live and learn.

Tyrane

Post by Tyrane » Aug 2nd, '06, 02:17

hkgirl wrote:Oh dear I feel I may just have bought some bootleg vcds from yesasia. I suppose you live and learn.
:-( Its a horrible feeling to know you have a bootleg. I've had some at various points. Unfortunatly those experiences have left me very skeptical about anything Asian that I buy.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Aug 2nd, '06, 13:50

Just made this a poll, hope I didn't miss anything :)
Ruroshin wrote:
hrm, not a bad idea. I might just make such a site in my next holiday. :-)
Cool! Look forward to it :)

pinkuonigiri

Post by pinkuonigiri » Aug 2nd, '06, 19:24

arg.. now I’m confused...
so yes asia sells legitimate and bootlegged products ...?

i was thinking of buying the box set of nobuta there ( pretty sure its the legit version, about 150 usd region 2)

I’ve also bought CD there’s I’ve noticed they’ve had the "japanese versions" which were more expensive and other asian country versions , along with international versions of cd, but ive only bought the japanese versions

I wonder why there selling both most sites usually just sell one or the other ( bootlegs or legitimate products)

man might have to switch back to CD japan and yes asia was becoming one of my favorite stores

Tyrane

Post by Tyrane » Aug 2nd, '06, 19:28

pinkuonigiri wrote:arg.. now I’m confused...
so yes asia sells legitimate and bootlegged products ...?

i was thinking of buying the box set of nobuta there ( pretty sure its the legit version, about 150 usd region 2)

I’ve also bought CD there’s I’ve noticed they’ve had the "japanese versions" which were more expensive and other asian country versions , along with international versions of cd, but ive only bought the japanese versions

I wonder why there selling both most sites usually just sell one or the other ( bootlegs or legitimate products)

man might have to switch back to CD japan and yes asia was becoming one of my favorite stores
From the sounds of things you don't have any bootlegged items :-). That Nobuta boxset looks all ok to me too.

sakura_rin

Post by sakura_rin » Aug 2nd, '06, 19:35

In my country not sale jdorama. So...I buy on yesasia. But It's so expensive :-( .

espysu

Good sites to purchase from

Post by espysu » Oct 13th, '06, 18:23

Hi all! I'm new to this site and have enjoyed reading all your posts.
The best sites that I use to purchase jdramas are from: www.zoommovie.com and www.sensasian.com.
I have ordered a lot from zoommovie and their customer service and the variety of their selections are pretty good.
I hope this helps.

sparris

Post by sparris » Oct 15th, '06, 08:48

What about sensasian, then? :)

espysu

Sensasian not as reliable...

Post by espysu » Oct 16th, '06, 11:39

I've only ordered twice from sensasian. Both times have been such a hassle in terms of waiting for my order to be delivered. Zoommovie is more reliable and have the same available products that sensasian advertises.
I hope this helps.