Japanese Fashion

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
Sharpneru

Japanese Fashion

Post by Sharpneru » Jul 15th, '06, 06:07

Anyone here into the fashion of Japan?

I've heard of "Bathing Ape," since I was in Middle School, not sure. Though, I never really knew a lot about it back then, and now, I'm all over it. As I look for more items for BAPE, I find out about other brands. I also discover for the first time, that jeans cost 150+ if not 300+ USD. Which is INSANELY expensive. Though, it makes since, if you look up how they make it, sometimes it doesn't really make sence. A T-Shirt costs almost 100 dollars, and it just has a small picture or so.
I find it funny how any Japanese clothing brand, that I look up all the items cost a lot. T-Shirts, are 50+, but, they are probably cheaper in Japan, but it is still expensive in Japan, BAPE T-Shirt is above 40+ all the time, online it is 90+ or 70+. Anything cheaper would be fake or used maybe. A JACKET can cost up to 1000 dollars?!, A SHOE = 3000$$$??

But, with all that said, I still love Japan and their ways of fashion. It's just, unique. All their items are made looking really nice.

Your thoughts?

PhilsterT

Post by PhilsterT » Jul 15th, '06, 07:16

Well, to be honest, Japanese pop-fasion is just based off of American fasion. So, to get cheaper clothes I would suggest going to your local mall.

The heart of Japanese fashion lies in the used clothing stores (which we don't have enough of in the US). Most citiies, have boat-loads of cheap clothes--you just have to find the right stuff. It's also extremly cheap. I remember going to about 10 different stores alone in the Teramachi/shijyo area in Kyoto.

hereford

Post by hereford » Jul 15th, '06, 18:07

it not really so diffrent from the states. i mean think of brands like burberry selling plain hoodies with a pin stripe of their check on the sleeves. it'll cost you 200 bucks.

BAPE is expensive now cause its a known (aka its known worldwide now) brand. in highschool my friends had boxes of bathing ape clothes that they gave us, cause they were just an indies brand.
i really love BAPE, i really want that pink camo hoodie with the gorilla head and rhinstones. but right now can't afford it, since its limited pressing and like 500 bucks.
as for the the really expensive shoes, its because they are limited.

america is the same, nike dunkles (which i want bad) will easily cost you 300 bucks (if you are lucky) and up. BAPE shoes are the same, they just make more limited runs. actually i have a pair of really nice AF1s that cost me 130, but on Y!J auctions were going for 500. its because the shoes released in the states are different from in japan. so i guess people are willing to pay for it?
its not that japanese brands are expensive, its that the well known brands are expensive.
there are tons of store that have cheap cute clothes. jam pixy is one (girls clothes).
actually last time i was in tokyo (may), GIANT sweatpants were really popular. im sure those are inexpensive, all the hot gyaru and their boyfriends wore it.

my favorite brands are Candy Stripper, RNA, WWL, Super Lovers, Here There, and Banana fish.

sn00pee

Post by sn00pee » Jul 16th, '06, 00:02

Sup,

I'm really into Japanese fashion, i cannot get enough of it. Japanese denim is the best. I was mostly into a bathing ape for the shoes, but I got a couple of shirts too. Yea, you kinda do see a lot of american type tee's in japan, Abercrombie is gaining popularity but im not really into that. But at the same time its still different (I dont know how lol), just the style alone is different than the way americans would wear. They throw a lot of colors together and just somehow make it work. I spent a good amount of money in osaka-namba area, thats like home to me. Im also trying to look for a pair of dunkles lol. shoulda got em while they were $300. I just recently bought the black melvins.

But yea, its hard to come across real bape at a reasonable price, try bapetalk.com, they have a nice buy/sell forum.

and if you have any good sites, please post up!

Sharpneru

Post by Sharpneru » Jul 16th, '06, 02:13

I know... a lot of online stores that sell real BAPE items, but they are more expensive online.

I recently baught a BAPE T-Shirt and Cap, both cost me almost 100 dollars. I'm thinking of blowing around 500 dollars at the end of summer. I REALLY REALLY like the pants that are made in Japan, they are just freaking nice. I don't really like the brands, like "Hollister," "Abercrombie" (Though Abercrombie is ok...). Basically, don't like the brands that are mainstream, probably.

The shoes, I've gotten to the point where, I'm ok with shoes being 300 dollars, but I won't pay over 300 dollars.
What makes this thing pretty funny is, like you said "Burberry," well Burberry is made in Europe, I think, so it makes sence. Japan brands cost more then that stuff, that made me laugh when I thought about it for the first time. I guess if it's, made in a certain area, the price is high, if it's made in China or something related to that, then it's cheap?

I got a question, you said when you were in Japan, how much were BAPE shoes? And T-Shirts and pants.
Online, the BAPE shoes are around 200 dollars, but never over 300 dollars. I know most BAPE shoes are under 200 dollars, cause I have the catalogue. And T-shirts are below 50. is that true?
And... ARE THOSE PANTS REALLY 300+ DOLLARS?!?!?!?! LOL...... in Japan?

and, here are some sites. If they are in Japanese, you need to click on "International Orders," banner, and it'll tell you how to order.

http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/ace-web/
:Really good site, but when you enter your name and address, it has to match your credit card, that's what I don't really like. But they are good nonetheless.
http://www.rakuten.co.jp/cliffedge/
:Like ace-web, except your credit card don't need to match your info. I ordered a T-shirt from them. Though, Ace-Web, DOES have better T-Shirts, and Sweater, well that's about it, they the same basically.
http://www.rakuten.co.jp/essense/
:ALL the shoes you can ever want, well almost. Havn't ordered from them. oh and some clothes.
http://www.zembia.com/main.php
:Now, this is the place where I'm thinking of blowing 500 dollars on, they have BAPE T-Shirts going for 70 dollars, cheapest I've found. Though, they usually only have size : L. Well, I baught a M T-Shirt from "Cliff-Edge" to see if M fitted me, hehe. if it doesnt then... guess I'm in luck for size L.
http://www.good-t.net/index.htm
:I think this place is just a big dictionary of stuff, lol. It's not a buying website but a linker.

As for the shoes, "Adicolor," by Adidas, buy those from Adidas main website.
www.zappos.com has "evisu" shoes. nordstrom does also. online shop.

I'M VERY TEMPTED TO BUY SOME BAPESTA'S RIGHT NOW. cause the credit card isn't really mine, i just gotta pay the person back in cash, lol... ahhhhhh, maybe at end of summer, lol.

Miyaguchi

Post by Miyaguchi » Jul 16th, '06, 22:30

For ladies I can recommend: http://www.onatoko.com/ ((good shopping for your girlfriend))

Rest of sites which I know:

http://www.gaijingeisha.com/

http://www.shop33.com/onlineshop/?&lang=en

http://www.nissen.co.jp/index.htm

Sharpneru

Post by Sharpneru » Jul 17th, '06, 01:37

Does "shop33," ship to America? They have nice T-Shirts that arn't really expensive.

I got another question, you guys know how they make their hair so nice? I have hairwax, and it works, but I was wonder how they make their hair look so nice while it looks like, they didn't use anything...

Vanilla_Spider__x

:0

Post by Vanilla_Spider__x » Jul 17th, '06, 02:06

I'm a huge fan of Japanese Fashion- but mostly "Neo-Goth" (I use that term to refer to styles involving brands like H. Naoto Anarchy, H. Naoto Blood, Sex Pot Revenge, Black Peace Now, and the usage of Vivienne Westwood items pretty often...)
Decora (My personal favorite, it's very- colorful and it's awfullly fun to wear! ^^ I'd list brands but it's so- mix and match that having a specific brand would seem weird. But I personally like to add in Super Lovers, and to buy items from Candy Pop online.),
Elegant Gothic Aristocrat (Moi Meme Moite = Win. )

and Lolita (I love my Loli dresses~ My favorite brands are Baby, The Stars Shine Bright, Angelic Pretty, Metamorphose, Moi Meme Moite, and a few more. ^^ My favorite type is sweet Lolita)

@@:; I could talk for hours about Japanese fashion, the underground kind- not pop japanese fashion. ^^;

^_^;;

Sharpneru

Post by Sharpneru » Jul 17th, '06, 02:32

Hmmm, well, all Japanese brand that are worn here in America, is usually "underground," though over there is mainstream.

Can you list some underground brands? that are for males? and maybe some sites that sell them that ship to usa?

Vanilla_Spider__x

Post by Vanilla_Spider__x » Jul 17th, '06, 02:40

By underground, I'm referring to styles usually worn rarely in Japan- though in Harajuku (or other such fashion capitals or places with mostly young people) they might be popular, else where- it's not really- well, I wouldn't call it popular. Tolerated- but not popular. :X I'll shaddup now. <3

But, though H. Naoto (http://ses.s-inc.com/shop/) & Black Peace Now(www.peacenow.net) do have brilliant clothes for men- neither ship to the US. And I can't think of a site that sells any to the US. @@; Sorry~ ^^; Sometimes, you can catch them on ebay though- or on communities online for sale. ee; Thats how I get my Japanese things. ^^

AngelicLayer

Post by AngelicLayer » Jul 17th, '06, 18:32

nike 4ever, as far as I know, nike isn´t American, it´s Japanese...and are you guys talking about Japanese fashion or discussing about hot brands????
I love Japan´s fashion just because it´s so natural, I mean, they develop their own fashion, their own way of clothing...so there´s nobody without an IMAGE..and for me, it´s the most important!!!!
Do not copying Christina Aguilera, do it by the way Kumi Koda does!!!!
Do you guys know what´s in in Japan these days??? Maybe LooseSocks or something else??
And is Kyoto a really expensive fashion city? When my boyfriend was to Osaka back then, everything was so expensive...not to mention Tokyo (ooooops!). He gave about 8,000 EU for his favourite demin so I dunno what to say about this brands in Japan...but you should admit, that the Japanese are the most fashionable people in this world...

Littleangel91356

Post by Littleangel91356 » Jul 17th, '06, 18:47

Japanese fashion seem soo nice but most of the mainstream things over there *like playboy* can be bought WAY cheaper in the US. When I look at the fashion magazines like Seventeen, I get suprised on how much a plain tshirt costs, while you can get it like 5.00-10.00 somewhere else.
Also it looks nice because Japanese girls who like wearing those fashion clothes, they are thin and good in proportion and the Japanese makers make it to look nice on those type of people but other than that, I see it as a copy to American *Western* style, I guess just go to you're local mall and buy some cheap clothes around JCpennys or anything that does have some sales.
But for loli and goths, only japan has those things and I'm amazed with the orignality for those types. I actually wanted a goth loli maid outfit but I know that Japan would be the real place where it'll have it lol.
But well, Japanese fashion some look nice to wear but I could find it here but I guess you can say they are more "advanced" in some way.

Sharpneru

Post by Sharpneru » Jul 18th, '06, 03:16

Well, yea, it's already like that. If it's an American brand, get it in U.S.A., but the ones that are American, say Levi's, THEY ARE LOOKING SO MUCH BETTER IN JAPAN, NO JOKE.

Nike is American foo... just that the Japanese Market for Nike, goes insane on em, lol.
Man, I'd love to just go to Japan to buy some clothes, but the cost of going there, is too much, it's close to 1000 USD, that money can buy A LOT OF clothing...

Japanese Denim, IS MUCH BETTER... I really like "Sugar Cane's," the pants are made really nice, first time hearing it, it's made out of "Sugar Cane," yep.