Idols vs Real Actors - Alot of crappy dramas recently IMO.

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
uezurii

Post by uezurii » Aug 2nd, '06, 07:58

I may be new here but of the new Dramas - I like Sapuri so far because it is less about the "profession" and more about the tension/plot etc., - it seems less gimmicky. I think that Spring wasn't exactly an incredible season... but really we're just being impatient. Remember, it wasn't that long ago that Nobuta wo Produce, 1 Litre of Tears, Hana Yori Dango, Densha Otoko, and others came out. After those and other classics like Gokusen etc., we've gotten spoiled.. lower your standards just a bit..

nadesico
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by nadesico » Aug 2nd, '06, 08:00

Keeper of hells gate2 wrote:

As what has been pointed out before. These idols have an image that they and their agents have to protect which in turn limits the writers artistic capabilities. You are not going to see Matsumoto Jun or that idol in Sapuri do a drama where they play a gay couple or one plays a serial killer. Well, you don't even have to go that far. You probably are not going to see these idol play even a serious villian of some sort. Its kind of funny because if you are an actress or actor and you do something drastically different or controversial you just might win an oscar or emmy. A japanese actor or actress will lose his or her job.
as a matter of fact, this statement is not quite true. Indeed, Matsumoto Jun is a good example because is part of Johnny's jimusho's and is going to star in a very controversial movies "I'm in love with my younger sister"adapted from a controversial manga. It's an incest story, So you see, i'm not sure they are limited concerning the kind of part they 're" allowed" to play.

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Aug 2nd, '06, 08:11

It's mostly their acting possibilities that are limited. Their unability to play a totally different personnality keep them to "being there looking cool and saying their lines" ( Kimutaku, Yamapi, Ueto Aya,etc...). If you watch dramas for the story, you'll get tired of them after a few but it's ok as their performances don't screw up the storyline or other actors acting. But some idols like Tackey are not even abble to do that.

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » Aug 2nd, '06, 22:17

i actually like kurosagi. But I have to admit, it got a little repetitive near the middle. I liked the fall /winter season of last year better, but I don't think jdramas right now are that bad... Usually I watch kdramas, but I'm slowly getting sick of them. To me, jdramas seem more original. Most of the stuff I watch right now are jdramas.

siangsaolong

Post by siangsaolong » Aug 4th, '06, 15:20

personally I like kurosagi because it's cool.
and the ending episode is good.
there are some episodes I think it's a piece of crap
but there are episodes that very good in many ways

for Attention please. I didn't watch it but all of my friends like it not because of Ueto but because it was funny.

In my opinion, for watching dramas, if there is nothing not suitable for children then not necessary to use brain.

Littleangel91356

Post by Littleangel91356 » Aug 4th, '06, 21:57

looking at this thread again, I have to agree with Groink with every word he says once again because all of the things he says is always true.

Yes, when it's like big stars that has been working in the entertainment industry for over 10-20 years, they have a more linency and experience to speak up, tell how they think and the directors and producers might listen to them well because they know better than just a guy/girl idol who has been working in the entertainment industry for less than 10 years. As people like Karasawa san will be able to be more open and upspoken and be able to express his personality on the set more, people like Kamenashi wouldn't because he doesn't have the age, power, and strength to speak up and do what he wants to do it. Yes, the directors will be pissed if he acts up cause he's only 20 so he has to keep his thoughts and feelings himself and listen to the directors and producers and let them overtake him. And that's the cluture-don't speak up to your elders and put a mask to your feelings and not be upfront, WAY different from America where one is required to express their feelings and be more upfront even without thinking of what they say.

keeper of hell gates 2, you're right about what you say but idols have played roles where they sleep with 40 something year old womens, nakai from smap played the serial killer in the movie, and played some roles that portrayed them evil but I guess it was ok because it was members from the older groups, not the younger groups.

I guess it's really easy to win a oscar as you say, play a btchy evil role different from the saint role you played before and add a little spice and then, you'll win it. yeah, they'll loose their job if they don't start expanding the different type of roles. I think there's sooo many human charasterics in this world, there's bound to be a role that is WAY different from their roles they usually portray.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Aug 7th, '06, 17:07

Looking at ratings, this summer is a mere shadow of last year. The biggest casualty was Taiyou no Uta, with the second ep rating half of the first ep rating (a new record?). I think that the people were turned off with Erica playing yet another terminally ill girl

hakuharu

Post by hakuharu » Aug 7th, '06, 21:11

groink wrote: I believe the BIG difference is that the art of acting is academic in the west (not specific to just the US), while in the East it's just entertainment. The Japanese artists rely on their talent agencies to prefect their acting, while in the west it is strongly recommend that artists actually attend university study and also study under great acting coaches like Lee Strasberg. I believe that by avoiding the Japanese talent agencies and instead attend a acting school with full focus on acting, the artist will turn out to be a better actor.
I've never looked at it like this but you're right. In the Western world it's up to the individual to get a role/fotoshoot/CD and to strengthen their own talents whereas in Japan the individual has to dedicate his/her all to an agency and hope for the best... Also, in the West the actor has to be careful about picking his/her role, because if the movie sucks the public is not interested and they won't get another role. Whereas japanese idols absolutely have to play along with the agency, they do their work (and a hell of a schedule...) and go home.

So although Japanese are always saying "do your best" and "give it your all"... the system is contradicting this. Because you can't do your best when you have worked for 10 hours and seen the script only hours before the shooting starts.
And the plot writers possibly get the notion from the agency: Make it a classic role for starters, he/she isn't experienced enough, he/she is probably tired...

But I also hope that individuality will get through in Japan, drop by drop. Rondo took a good shot in that direction and Densha Otoko had some nice effects for example.

Well, that makes me admire the ones that do act really good/natural and get good and interesting roles. For me, I think somebody is a good actor when I forget he's acting. I've had that with Takenouchi Yukata or for the younger actors, with Satoshi Tsumabuki (first time in Lunch Queen) or for the western releases Jean Reno in Léon (1994).

You know, there's this saying about books, goes for every entertainment:
"some books are to be tasted,
others to be swalloed,
and some few to be chewed and digested"
by Francis Bacon

groink

Post by groink » Aug 7th, '06, 21:24

Let me make one bold comment here, then you people can start making pop-shots at it.

Through the years, one thing I've noticed is that the viewership ratings in Japan DOES NOT reflect the views of the drama fans outside of Japan. Against popular belief, the idol craze isn't that huge of an influence in Japan. I recently saw the 49th awards, as well as the comments made about it, and it pretty much affirms my position on this.

What drives MOST people on D-Addicts and JDorama.com to watch Japanese dramas are the idols. Reading the brouhaha between these two sites, they could care less about what the drama is about.

But if you look at the viewership ratings over the years, you'll see that in most cases, the Japanese ratings will not agree with these two sites. My conclusion for this difference is that the demographic of Japanese viewers are much more diverse than outside of Japan, again because idols are strong outside of Japan. Within Japan, you have the idol/post anime/manga fans. But you also have professional people, people over the age of 50, and other people who could care less about idols. This probably explains why taiga and morning dramas are still dominant in the Japanese viewership ratings.

Like I said in another topic, folks outside of Japan really shouldn't interpret the Japanese viewership ratings because, for the most part, the Japanese just think differently about dramas.

--- groink

Gozen

Post by Gozen » Aug 7th, '06, 22:30

Groink you make insightful points, as usual. I think many people forget, or maybe don't even realise, that "do your best" almost certainly doesn't mean "do your best for your own benefit" but do it for the group: in the case of actors, the group would be the agency, the network, the other actors. Reaching their potential is a benefit of - not the reason for - working long hours and in often difficult conditions (ever notice in Taiga dramas how often their breath steams from the cold, even if the scene is not meant to be in winter?)
The westerners among the fans are looking at things from a whole different perspective, and it's no good wanting the Japanese population, corporations or networks or actors to conform to our views of how things should be done.
My mother keeps saying about the female characters, why do they portray them like that? Why are there no strong, independent women who will kick verbal ass? Why does everyone always accept being blamed when it's not their fault?" and I try and explain, well, for the most part, they really are like that. Not all, but a lot, don't rock the boat, don't try and change things too much too fast. Concentrate on solving the problem rather than apportioning blame and making a fuss. For the average Japanese viewer it's easy on their minds to see people dealing with issues, sometimes big challenging issues yes, but in a way that doesn't stray too far from the norm.
A lot of this is a matter of personal taste: I'd far rather watch a taiga drama than one about high school kids with young guys who like more like rather plain girls than men, and so for me, those shows are junk. But that's just my taste, when I was a kid I was in love with the Monkees and never missed a show, so I accept others have the right to their own taste - I'm hardly in a position to criticise!
Thank heavens they are still making taiga and other historical dramas, which I adore and can't ever seem to get enough of. I still enjoy modern dramas, though, and waiting to see what the big issue is going to be, or how the writers are going to throw something totally unexpected in.
I think the idol thing is something that I really don't have that much of a problem with. If the story is fun or challenging or interesting, what harm is there in having the main characters being drop dead gorgeous? It's part of the pleasure, for me!

Littleangel91356

Post by Littleangel91356 » Aug 8th, '06, 17:30

taiga dramas are always a pleasure and the best taga drama I could think of was shinsengumi. I wouldn't mind only having that on my tv for half a year.

Yeah I know, I wish there were stronger women on dramas. They all seem weak, dependent, desperate, girly...I wanted a women who doesn't care about having a partner and enjoys work the whole time and yeah, knows how to kick some butt when they are attacked. Well still, Japanese culture and work makes them weaker and unstable than guys, which is totally unfair but that's how it is. Somehow the male has more color than the females sometimes.

And actually yes, Japanese drama viewership is more diverse. I see my mom, my friend's mom in Japan watching morning dramas and enjoying it along with taiga dramas. My grandparents watch the news and taiga dramas also and enjoying it so I guess that's why. And Japan has so many older generations and are desperate for more younger generation right now so it's hard to get the viewship as much as they want in the younger field, as I realized that right now lol. There's more independent women than young kids and I think they'll prefer things like top caster or anything that represents their independency. But it seems that they like the idols also. But anego was popular cause it represented the working women and they liked how it was portrayed. Well that drama was pretty good, at least I enjoyed it.

goygakgoy

Post by goygakgoy » Aug 11th, '06, 02:16

I loved "Kursoagi". The others I agree with. Some really good, some really bad..but I can't judge it all cuz I don't see it all. All I can say is that compared to Korean, Chinese, and American, I think J-dramas are the best...so no real complaints from me.

itachi666

Post by itachi666 » Aug 11th, '06, 02:49

Well as for me I think that the recent dramas are un-original. I got into J-Doramas after a cousin of mine introduced me to GTO. After watching that I thought that if people like Onizuka Sensei really exist then this would be a great world to live in. Kurosagi did entertain me a bit but I think it sucked. Honestly, to me, there hasnt been a good J-drama since Orange Days.