is it me or the most popular relationship in jdrama is..?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
jayph

is it me or the most popular relationship in jdrama is..?

Post by jayph » May 23rd, '06, 19:20

Older women and younger guy :unsure:

groink

Post by groink » May 23rd, '06, 19:38

What? No, it's just you.

--- groink

veritati

Post by veritati » May 23rd, '06, 20:11

The issue has been touched upon in many JP dramas - Love & Eros, Mada Koi wa Hajimaranai, Long Vacation, etc. - that I have seen and can remember at this moment. And I think this is a new trend that is quickly gaining acceptance at the moment. Here is an interesting article on this subject: http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/waiwai/ar ... 3000c.html. But most dramas, I believe, are about "normal", older-male-younger-female relationships. I have yet to see a Korean drama where the female is older than the male in a relationship.

In the US, I remember briefly seeing on Oprah a few years back where they were discussing older women and younger men relationships - as part of the gender equality movement. "If older men can date younger women, why can't it be vice versa?" was their question. It's one of those things women do or bring up to empower themselves. I think it's all an Oedipus Complex thing - for both parties involved. I wouldn't mind dating someone who is few years older than me if she is my "match" - for lack of a better word - in every way, but I don't think I can be with someone who is a lot older than me. It's just weird and fall into those freaky or fetish categories. Then again I have seen some older ladies who take really good care of themselves.

ephesus
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ephesus » May 23rd, '06, 20:17

Note that the Mainichi WaiWai section should always be taken with a grain of salt. They translate Japanese "tabloids" into english most of the time.

neme_chan

Post by neme_chan » May 23rd, '06, 20:35

... at first I thought older-woman-younger-man relationships were simply a "trend" in jdrama. My Japanese friends tell me it's actually happening, though... especially between men in their early 20's and unmarried working women in their 30's. Most articles on the topic will relate it to the existence of a significant number of women who work and live by themselves, having freedom to do what they want and money to spend as they wish.

Of course, it's been happening in other places as well, Japan is just catching up with other countries... and it's usually seen as a matter of gender equality, as someone mentioned - you'll easily observe that older-woman-younger-man relationships get more common as social differences between both genders vanish or get weaker.

Scandalous

Post by Scandalous » May 24th, '06, 00:09

IMO...There is absolutely nothing wrong with being with a suga-mama!!! :salut:

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » May 24th, '06, 00:18

Hmm... My lady's 2 years older than me, so I don't see a problem with it.

Then again, I'm biased.... :P

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » May 24th, '06, 05:12

veritati wrote:. I have yet to see a Korean drama where the female is older than the male in a relationship.
My Name is Kim Sam Soon, Romance :whistling:
(and I don't even follow Kdramas all that much ^_^;;; )

Anyhow, I don't think the the older woman thing is as new as ppl like to think it is... Jdramas have been showing depictions of it for years and it isn't really all that uncommon for Japanese wives to be a year or two older than the husband.
The question is really "how much older is the woman"? That age difference seems to have increased a little bit in recent years, but is it a question of life imitating art or vice versa? Personally, I think it's partially a reflection of what is becoming socially acceptable and partially just a way to get the "older women" viewers to tune into a little bit of fantasy... :lol

Majority is still standard older guy, younger woman... I think the older woman dramas stand out in memory, not because there are more of them, but because it's not the societal norm (even in Western culture)...

EDIT: reeeeaaallly bad grammar... o_o;;;
Last edited by mizune on May 24th, '06, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » May 24th, '06, 12:39

Last year, it was kind of a trend out here in Japan where younger guys in their early 20s would be seeing a divorced woman with children, usually in her early/mid 30s.

I haven't seen much of it on documentaries lately, though...

Starlightkitty7

Post by Starlightkitty7 » May 24th, '06, 13:59

umm...I haven't seen that. unless its b/c I just didn't notice. But thats not a problem...I guess its just more popular now then before.

angeizahoy

Post by angeizahoy » May 24th, '06, 14:15

i completely have not noticed that .. -__- *digs back into previous shows that i've watched...

Genmai_cha

Post by Genmai_cha » May 24th, '06, 14:26

I don't think I've noticed that either.

To me age is just a number and I have dated older women when I was younger but now--younger women b/c I'm older. Does that make sense at all? lol
I guess maybe because I find women being more secured at a certian age.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » May 24th, '06, 14:29

angeizahoy wrote:i completely have not noticed that .. -__- *digs back into previous shows that i've watched...
Off the top of my head, dramas with an older woman (besides those already mentioned above):
Majo no Jouken / Forbidden Love
Kimi wa Petto
Suekko chonan ane sannin
Slow Dance
Sore wa totsuzen arashi no you ni (ehh... sort of...)
Golden Bowl
Anego
Fight

...and I know there are more older ones...

Sukachu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Sukachu » May 24th, '06, 19:36

夫婦 / Fuufu.

Tsukamoto Takashi with Nishida Naomi :crazy: . So much older ...

*A couple of years of difference is okay, but more than 10 years, isn't that too much?

jack4st

Post by jack4st » May 24th, '06, 19:56

I Don't Know Much About The Older Woman, Youger Guy Thing ( And I Don't Think There Is Anything Wrong With it), But From Movies And Shows that I Have Seen There Seems To Be An Incest Theme In Asian Dramas And Movies.
Does It Have To With The Taboo Of It Draw Attention From More Viewers? Or Is It Just Part Of Exploring Stories, Situations And Conversational Debates ( Such As this)That Most people Try To Steer Clear of?
To Tell the truth Asian Films And Dramas , To Me, Are The Greatest BECAUSE of Their Originality Among Many, Many Other Reasons

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 24th, '06, 19:57

Woah. That is some righteous capitalisation you got going on there.

groink

Post by groink » May 24th, '06, 22:51

mizune wrote:Fight
LOL! That can only be Kotoko and Taro. Good one!!!!!!

--- groink

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » May 25th, '06, 03:12

^ Did I mention that I finally finished reading that series? Loved it!
If I remember right, the difference b/w those two was over 15 yrs too... ^_^:;;

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » May 26th, '06, 02:32

jack4st wrote:I Don't Know Much About The Older Woman, Youger Guy Thing ( And I Don't Think There Is Anything Wrong With it), But From Movies And Shows that I Have Seen There Seems To Be An Incest Theme In Asian Dramas And Movies.
Does It Have To With The Taboo Of It Draw Attention From More Viewers? Or Is It Just Part Of Exploring Stories, Situations And Conversational Debates ( Such As this)That Most people Try To Steer Clear of?
To Tell the truth Asian Films And Dramas , To Me, Are The Greatest BECAUSE of Their Originality Among Many, Many Other Reasons
...Is this how you normally type?
EDIT: Ignore that, I just read the "The Promise" thread. Change of question. Do you type like that on purpose to be annoying?

Mizuki1988

Post by Mizuki1988 » Sep 4th, '08, 22:27

Can anyone point me to a drama with the reverse pattern? :P I mean, the guy significantly older than the girl. :) By significantly I mean up to 15 years or so xD would be really grateful :)

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Sep 6th, '08, 00:52

Mizuki1988 wrote:Can anyone point me to a drama with the reverse pattern? :P I mean, the guy significantly older than the girl. :) By significantly I mean up to 15 years or so xD would be really grateful :)
Two recent ones:

Hatachi no Koibito
Muri na Renai

Both didn't do so well in the ratings, though. I guess more people are comfortable with older woman/younger man dramas than the other way around.

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Sep 6th, '08, 01:20

On the capitalization i think he found the ProperCase function in PHP.

Anyway... this what you are referring to is common in Korean movies like "Old Guy" for instance. This is a political statement by the director, regarding the taboo relationship between north and south. (as someone else so nicely put it)
jack4st wrote: But From Movies And Shows that I Have Seen There Seems To Be An Incest Theme In Asian Dramas And Movies.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Sep 8th, '08, 02:32

Mizuki1988 wrote:Can anyone point me to a drama with the reverse pattern? :P I mean, the guy significantly older than the girl. :) By significantly I mean up to 15 years or so xD would be really grateful :)
I don't know why, but Tamura Masakazu and Tamaki Koji seem to get cast in these types of age gap relationship roles fairly frequently... o_o
Concerto
Le Bel Homme / Ustukushii Hito
Konna Koi no Hanashi
Ai no Uta

Also, more recently...
Jodan Ja Nai!
Ashita no Kita Yoshio (sort of)

Generally, you can ask for recommendations here.

Yessy89

Post by Yessy89 » Sep 17th, '08, 00:40

I have only seen in it Kimi wa Petto...I guess I only like to watch dramas that are 'teenaged' based and not older thing.... :D IDK bu it was only time for it to happen cause it's happening everywhere in the world! I don't think it's cool at all... Older guy younger girl, or vise versa! I think people should stick with their gender and not cause all this problems about a Teacher going out with a student....just an example! >_< But yeah .....it's kind of weird...well for me! :)

Tanpoporin

Post by Tanpoporin » Sep 17th, '08, 20:11

It's been going on in shoujo and josei manga(SUPPLI and Kimi wa Pet are good examples) for a while now. I've only seen it put into TV form in recent years. Why? Probably cuz' it was popular in comic form, so why not make it into a TV show? I'm sure they would do boys love too if they could find actors that wouldn't mind doing it. [/b]

nikkibell84

Post by nikkibell84 » Sep 17th, '08, 21:12

I agree, in the last five years or so, older woman/younger man has become a big favorite in asian dramas. So much so that it's nearly become the standard or chliche(sp?). And, has anyone else noticed that a lot of times the older woman is very brash and even a bit annoying? I suppose it's just going with the trends, really. Just off the top of my head I can think of at least ten dramas that had an older woman/younger man as the lead couple.

Now a days, it's no longer that big of a deal: some shows just say; "Yeah, she's older than him." and drop it. I remember that in Mirai Koshi Meguru, the woman's boyfriend was her junior by three years or so, but it didn't really have anything to do with the plot. Which, to me means that while the older woman/younger man thing is still hot, it's no longer the main focus of the drama writing world; I remember a time when, every other season (for either Japan and Korea) there was a drama all about the "hardships" of an older woman/younger man relationship.

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » Oct 9th, '08, 23:31

Bijin n bishonen jdramas i remember enjoying:
Satorare
Anego
Unfair
Haken no Hinkaku
Koshonin
Psychometrer Eiji
Golden Bowl
Love Revolution
Boku Dake no Madonna
Densha Otoko
Love & Eros
Long Vacation
Majo no Jouken
Kimi wa Petto
Suppli
Suekko chonan ane sannin
Slow Dance
Sore wa totsuzen arashi no you ni
Gokusen

After watching so many bijin/bishie jdramas, i'm craving for a younger bf. Since none of this genre jdrama's airing this year, so i'm now addicted to a korean reality tv show - We Got Married - where the hottest older woman/younger guy exists. Girls, watch it n u'll b hooked!