Page 1 of 2

Why does Ayumi Hamasaki use only Caucasian in her videos?

Posted: Nov 9th, '05, 02:28
by Rice
Ok I am Not trying to start a racial fight. It's been bothering me for a while. I just want to know why Ayumi uses only white people in her music videos. She is wicked famous and I am sure some of her fans already asked her that question before. Do you know why? If I am a Japanese living in Japan I would feel insulted by her videos.

Posted: Nov 9th, '05, 02:32
by bbgirl03
it's her video.. she could strip if she wants..

Posted: Nov 9th, '05, 02:33
by steam
coz she feels she's elevated beyond typical asians and the next breed up in her opinion are caucasians. :whistling:

Posted: Nov 9th, '05, 02:51
by impression151
"You're easy breezey and I'm Japanese-y"
-Utatda Hikaru

I don't know but the answer would be quite interesting though. And I doubt she has any choice in choosing the lead male role. Maybe it's to expand her popularity out of Japan...in the UK/America/etc. Whatever, I don't like her music anyways.

Posted: Nov 9th, '05, 02:54
by UltraRob
Probably the same reason why every clothing ad here in Taipei seems to feature a female asian model and a caucasian male model. She's selling the fantasy to women of having a romantic foreign lover, it's not racism exactly, more like knowing your audience and marketing. As for the people in Japan, most of the people viewing these videos speak no english and will probably never speak to a caucasian in their life except maybe once or twice on vacation. Why should they be upset? The only guys who feel threatened by this sort of thing are young asian males living overseas who actually DO have to compete with caucasian males for mates.

Rob

Posted: Nov 9th, '05, 02:54
by groink
This is a SWAG*, but I think this is another example of reaching fans of the west using cultural identity.

--- groink


*SWAG - super wild-ass guess

Posted: Nov 9th, '05, 03:18
by mieko
Well Jpop has gone to pot since the early 90's when TK started producing for artists under the Avex label and infusing more Western infuences into the music and unfortunately it has
gotten worse year after year to such a point where Jpop has lost it's real identity and is just
a carbon copy of crappy western music.. J-rap, J-hip Hop, J-Soul ,J-Grunge all J-CRAP !!!

Ayumi is on this bandwagon big time !!! The reason there are only white people in her videos
is because the Japanese fans have been emulating Western/White culture to such a point that they forget where they come from....

Anybody under 30 and haven't been into Jpop by 1992' latest will not have any clue where i
am coming from... Long live Nori-P & Miporin !!!

Posted: Nov 9th, '05, 03:32
by groink
mieko wrote:Well Jpop has gone to pot since the early 90's when TK started producing for artists under the Avex label and infusing more Western infuences into the music and unfortunately it has
gotten worse year after year to such a point where Jpop has lost it's real identity and is just
a carbon copy of crappy western music.. J-rap, J-hip Hop, J-Soul ,J-Grunge all J-CRAP !!!

Ayumi is on this bandwagon big time !!! The reason there are only white people in her videos
is because the Japanese fans have been emulating Western/White culture to such a point that they forget where they come from....

Anybody under 30 and haven't been into Jpop by 1992' latest will not have any clue where i
am coming from... Long live Nori-P & Miporin !!!
LMFAO!!!!!

I've been saying the EXACT same thing about Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake and the other white trash pretending to be black R&B artists. It's quite obvious that the rhythm and blues sound is the most popular form of music in the world today. And _POP (you fill in the first letter) is being heavily influenced by it.

Give me a 1980's Matsuda Seiko CD and I'm happy.

Posted: Nov 9th, '05, 03:42
by mieko
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!! I just finished listening to Strawberry Time...for the billionth time since buying it 18 years ago !

Posted: Nov 9th, '05, 03:56
by aNToK
I'm still waiting for a Shonen Knife video myself....

Posted: Nov 9th, '05, 04:04
by sakura_mars
They think white people are exotic and cool. Hence all the English infused in J-Pop, and why Ayumi's songs all ahve English titles. Well, except like two or three.

There's also black people too! (Walking Proud, Dearest)

She's just cool and all about the culture.

I also wonder if its also easy to get white people, since there's a lot of Models visiting for the fashion scene in Japan, and they jsut pick models who are available.

Posted: Nov 9th, '05, 04:12
by anyala
dun think there's racial issues here.... thinks is all abt marketing ...

1. makes ayumi stand out ...that's for sure...

2. to reach out global market! for westerner...thinks that;s why hikki's album titled exodus is all in english....

dun u think so??? well, that's what i think... 8)

other explanation...they're cheaper??? not so sure abt this...anyone could advice me on this matter???

Posted: Nov 9th, '05, 04:41
by Gir
Probably for the same reason when I was in Japan (for a couple of weeks a few years ago), every car ad I saw had a mixed Japanese/Caucasian couple in it. I rather wondered about the implications of that at the time.

Posted: Nov 9th, '05, 04:44
by aeslis
Ummmm. she doesn't? I mean, sure, there are caucasians and other races in some of her pvs.. possibly more than other musicians use. But not all of her PVs do. Humming 7/4, Fairyland, About You... they feature asians.

Ayu has said that she has no intentions of trying to make it in America or elsewhere.. she knows what the Japanese fans want, so that's where she's comfortable and going to stay. What makes sense to me, though, is that these days many Japanese youths feel trapped by Japan, and want to explore beyond their country. Thus, Ayu using people of different race in her videos makes her seem more wordly, as sticking to Japanese people may now seem boring to teenagers there.

Posted: Nov 11th, '05, 06:32
by sadotsu
Hmmm... I've noticed that Gackt does the same thing too. Maybe it's an expression of their popularity?

Posted: Nov 11th, '05, 06:48
by neonkinpatsu
I think it's just because it catches eyes. When advertising, the goal is to attract attention. Same with music videos. They are essentially selling music, right? They make videos for many singles that are out and they are trying to sell. I don't know if it's exactly accurate, but I kinda see music videos as visual entertainment while pitching the audio part. Sometimes, they use the visual to stick out so you remember, but I don't know if that counts for this exactly....

Not to sound weird or anything, but Japan is a pretty homogenous society. At least 90% of the people you see walking around are Japanese. The other 10% or less that vary are specks, but they stick out. I know there are some foreigners there (I was one) and many people there have at least seen foreigners on TV, if not seen one in person. But.....many still look anyway. Many eyes are drawn to things they don't see often, whether they mean anything by it or not.

Posted: Nov 11th, '05, 06:59
by qoogirl
I think that we have to first realize Hamasaki Ayumi is the artist singing.
Not the artist directing the cinematography.
She is not the Video Director.
Ultimately, those designs and creations come from the director's mind.

Ayumi's videos also feature a variety of ethnicities, the ones that stand out more to you are probably Caucasians because they are used more often than others in noticeable roles--but so are others. Non-Asian people are showing up a LOT more in the past 4 years in music videos in Japan for two reasons I think.

1) The Japanese population is shifting considerably due to the influx of foreign labor. "Foreign"--that is to say, non-Asian--faces are no longer seen just on TV or when one goes abroad. These are colleagues, neighbors and schoolmates. Japanese people have got to come to the reality that Japan is not a homogenous nation. I think that video directors are prematurely exposing a lot of different faces, in particular, Caucasians to the population. But I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. It'd be like asking why American television shows Asians when they are not the majority of the population.

2) Non-Asian faces seen as dancers or back-up in videos of Japanese artists seem to make them more marketable. They've got an edge up on other artists in that they've managed securing "non-traditional" actors and extras. It makes the video seem more worldly and cultured.

I don't think it's advertising interracial relations between Japanese and non-Japanese so much as its saying the world is a large place--they bring a certain presence and framemind to the song itself as an artistic piece. Crystal Kay's videos, for example, do this in a different way by emphasizing that her music is applicable to Japanese in that her extras and videos NEVER feature her in the love situation, but always a supposed Japanese couple.

Posted: Nov 11th, '05, 13:10
by Romance
sometimes they like to use white people as tools because its not to the ordinary

Posted: Nov 15th, '05, 08:12
by techie
And dont forget in all the replies, she's always had a forte' for the US since she got her vocals training in NYC and she's known to travel Southern California pretty often.

I bet if she has a choice, she gets some influence from there by her own accord too.

Posted: Nov 15th, '05, 10:57
by Aprisea
I think it's exotic or something. In European PV's sometimes put asian girls for the same reason :P
I don't think it's bad :P

Ayumi Hamasaki

Posted: Dec 15th, '05, 19:32
by ngongan
Image
Image
Image

Posted: Dec 15th, '05, 19:37
by yt_toshi
Question: What does this have to do with Japanese Actors/Actresses?

Posted: Dec 16th, '05, 04:21
by TNF
yeah she's been in 2 dramas....but I DONT LIKE HER muahahahaha XD

Posted: Dec 16th, '05, 04:25
by techie
yt_toshi wrote:Question: What does this have to do with Japanese Actors/Actresses?
She started out as a swimsuit model, to support her single mother.
Then she got a few roles in minor shows. One of them was relating to a aforementioned saught for gay dorama.

She got fed up with acting and was busted being a minor at a karaoke club and the person who was there when she was caught, happend to be Matsuura of Avex.

The Karaoke club was owned by Avex, and she was presented with the option, take the fact she was busted, or start singing more organized.

Being more interested in music, she started singing, and became who she is today, so yes... in short, she used to act. :)

Posted: Dec 16th, '05, 04:34
by amrayu
Yup, Ayu used to act. Way before she was a singer. :D

Posted: Dec 16th, '05, 05:20
by mizune
It's very common for singers to do double duty as actors... especially idols...
Hmm... but this reminds me that Utada should probably be moved to the regular JEnt forum since she never acted in anything outside her videos....

Posted: Dec 17th, '05, 10:23
by ngongan
more
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Posted: Dec 20th, '05, 00:02
by ngongan
more
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Posted: Dec 20th, '05, 04:42
by Jimmy777
I love her music. Her music videos are good too.

Posted: Dec 22nd, '05, 18:53
by ngongan
more
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Posted: Dec 22nd, '05, 19:10
by mikomi
Her songs are good, the music videos are good as well, but I don't really like her voice. I find it to be so shaky, and it seems like her voice gets all breathy when she goes higher. Maybe because of that, I get tired of listening to her.

Posted: Dec 22nd, '05, 20:26
by newersumm
yeah id agree

omg i noticed now how big ears she has :w00t:

Posted: Dec 22nd, '05, 20:44
by techie
Big ears???
Where???

Image

Posted: Dec 22nd, '05, 21:16
by aoi_hana
The squirrel picture is cute!

Posted: Dec 22nd, '05, 21:29
by techie
Ok... final post for today I guess. Getting worn out here.

Here is a wallpaper I made a while back.
It's from a Mascara commercial she did and I rebuilt the right side wing, covered her arm a bit with her name to hide the add name.

Also, here is a link to a 56,x Mb file of my 203 Ayu pics if someone wants it. :D
Merry Christamas Ayu fans.
http://www.asianmultimedia.org/external/AyuPics.rar

Image

Posted: Dec 22nd, '05, 21:51
by tet-chan
Just wondering... do you any of you guys ahve pics of ayumi before her yummy plastic surgery?? i use to have one.. but i lost it now.. from what i remember she was pretty damn ugly back then whahahha XD :whistling:

Posted: Dec 22nd, '05, 21:56
by techie
She was never ugly, just much younger.
Theres about 20 of them in the pack I posted.

Posted: Dec 24th, '05, 00:55
by ngongan
more
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Posted: Dec 26th, '05, 08:49
by techie
I made a ringtone loop in mp3 of the tune this screencap is from.
It's less than 30 seconds and should pose no problems for anyone, but just in case, I didn't want to put it in here.

If you want the ringtone, click the image of "Evil Ayu" :D
Gotta love a good girl gone bad sometimes. :whistling:

Image

Posted: Dec 26th, '05, 08:55
by *Lifo*
She's not that pretty ...

Posted: Dec 26th, '05, 09:05
by techie
I mean I dont find Ayu to be the no. 1 pretty girl of all I've seen in my life, and those who have seen my collection of pictures would know that.

However, I agree with Kimura Takuya's line in "Beautiful Life" on that remark.

Nuff said. :D

Posted: Dec 27th, '05, 06:24
by pankanshe
*Lifo* wrote:She's not that pretty ...
Beauty is in the "eye of the beholder." She's sooooo pretty. <3 Ayu

Posted: Dec 27th, '05, 06:28
by Rhocake
I thought she was pretty cute during the early stages of her older career. It's after her second album (LOVEppears) that she started to look all plasticy like.

Her more natural look for A Song For XX was very cute.

Posted: Dec 27th, '05, 10:50
by ngongan
more pics of her
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Posted: Dec 27th, '05, 22:08
by crazylazy_chief
She looks like a doll sometimes in her pics...I like some of her songs; never seen her act though.

Nice pics btw, ngongan, I saved some. :P

Oh well, here's a wallie I made of her; it's 800x600 though.

Image

Posted: Dec 31st, '05, 23:55
by happy=p
i think she is soooooo pretty and sings realli well=)

Posted: Jan 1st, '06, 02:12
by Tensai
I've not been listening to her for that long, only got back into the J-Pop scene earlier this year (last time I was really into it was the days of 'Top Ten', Wink and Hikaru Genji). I enjoy her singing style and music (plus the variety of styles that she has done over time). There is a certain elegance to her (or at least what I've seen in live performances this year), and she seems to genuinely enjoy what she is doing.

Also have to say they do a really good job with her music videos, especially those that take a fairly hard poke at the world of J-Pop.

-Tensai

Posted: Jan 4th, '06, 20:55
by XoRENEWDLIFEoX
I LOVE AYUMI HAMASAKI 2 :lol
Favoritz right now are: Fly HIgh & Trauma

Can anyone give me some music videos of her!!!! I Haven't seen one yet! :-(

Posted: Jan 4th, '06, 21:21
by Fuchser
Hmm.. Somehow her face looks very manly..

Posted: Jan 6th, '06, 08:37
by Yoh-Asakura
I Love Ayumi san........ (^_^)v

Ayu-Lovers and Ayu-Haters..

Posted: Feb 16th, '07, 08:35
by nevastroyka
I love Ayumi Hamasaki, while i was searching for pics and stuff, I ended in a forum (i guess, i really dont remember...) and there were TONS of negative commentaries about her.

They wrote she had plastic surgery(is this true? i really cant tell the difference, plz show me a before and after pic) , and that she steals songs from newcomers, that her first albums were good but the new ones sucked......and stuff like that...

I'm not in shock or anyhing but I just really want ..... are there Ayu-haters outhere?

So, what do u guys think?

Posted: Feb 16th, '07, 11:56
by EleKYAH
[img]http://jpoptrash.nihon-fr.com/chirurgiens/mute.jpg[/img]

Ayumi Hamasaki's face before being j-pop star and after being j-pop star, actually. No words needed :thumright:

[img]http://jpoptrash.nihon-fr.com/chirurgiens/yumi-ah.jpg[/img]

You can see clearly the plastic surgery =P nose, eyes, etc...

[img]http://jpoptrash.nihon-fr.com/chirurgiens/pattes.jpg[/img]

XD

And see this link, you will enjoy it! http://jpoptrash.nihon-fr.com/ayu/ayu.htm

P.D: I'm not ayumi hamasaki hater!

Ayumi Hamasaki in 1995 idol video before she got famous!!

Posted: Feb 16th, '07, 15:06
by richardli
Its amazing how far Ayu has come since her early days. Remember when she still had black hair? She almost looks normal!!
http://japansugoi.com/wordpress/ayumi-h ... o-special/

Posted: Feb 16th, '07, 15:34
by InTr4nceWeTrust
It'd be nice if she went back to "normal" again.

Re: Ayu-Lovers and Ayu-Haters..

Posted: Feb 16th, '07, 16:00
by InTr4nceWeTrust
Well first, this belongs in Japanese Entertainment.

Second, I strongly believe she had plastic surgery. Here's her progression in album covers (minus the latest album, Secret):
[img]http://x73.xanga.com/160a97470953279005 ... 659904.jpg[/img]

Look up her younger pictures as well. There's another thread that got started here about her when she used to do bikini modeling. She looks very different. I don't think age/makeup can change your face THAT much.

I don't believe she steals songs from anybody. The rumor I heard was that she blocks out new Avex singers and steals from them or whatever to stay on top at Avex, but in fact, Ayumi is now declining in popularity amongst Avex artists.

The album thing is an opinion. I disagree. Her first album EVER was a total disaster. It was called Nothing from Nothing (Pre-Avex) and had her "rapping". Her first Avex album, A Song for XX, did extremely well but I don't think many people (including myself) could ever call it a favorite. The albums that I can call favorites are Rainbow, Memorial Address, My Story, and Secret (latest release). They are her more recent albums. Before Secret, though, she released (miss) understood) which I think is the reason why people say that she was good before and sucks now. I can not get myself to listen to that album all the way through. I can barely start the album as the first song tries to pull of some sort of gitchy gitchy ga ya da da moulin rouge junk.

There are many Ayu-haters out there. I think there is a thread on Jpopsuki dedicated to hating her. I'm a big fan of hers, so I'll take the good and the bad together.

Posted: Feb 16th, '07, 20:19
by nikochanr3
im not a hater but i dont love her. i think shes a bit repetitive, and puts out so much product its almost 100% sure there will be repetition. as for surgery, watch the cd tv special from new years, they do like the last 10 years best songs, and she has songs almost eveyr year, and they show video clips, and she changes, slowly over time. its creepy actually. her eyes are SO big now.

Posted: Feb 16th, '07, 23:44
by nevastroyka
where can i watch that special?

by the way....

http://ayumi89.canalblog.com/ <----very cool pics of her and other artists

Posted: Feb 17th, '07, 06:15
by 8thSin
I'm a pretty big fan of Ayu, but I'm not one of those blind fans who loves everything she sings.

I've been listening to her since I bought "Boys&Girls" single in 1999. I didn't really know her back then, but I bought it because of the Avex label... I used to be a total TK fan. That song is still in my top 10 Ayu songs of all time.
I absolutely love her ballads. So many memorable songs! Always great songs when she wrote with DAI. CREA+DAI = invincible!

"Vogue" ---> "INSPIRE" is the golden age of Ayu in my books :D

I can't stand extreme screeching songs early in her career like "A song for XX", "Trust", "Kanariya", "Fly High" etc though... Also, anything after "HEAVEN" is crap... Her Countdown Live '06 and other recent lives were so garbage, I think she lost her voice. I hope she would retire soon, before fading too much.

I love her remixes too... I have like 300 of them :lol

Posted: Feb 17th, '07, 06:28
by thtlam
I'm a fan of Ayu I really enjoy most of her songs especially the ballads and some of her remixes are pretty good

Posted: Feb 17th, '07, 17:07
by ruisu
i downloaded a few of her albums...never heard a song i liked though. i felt like i was listening to a japanese britney spears or something to that extent.

Posted: Feb 18th, '07, 02:19
by AzNightDreams
Im not an ayumi fan tho I used to b lol

I definitely dunt hate her tho.. she sings pretty good songs^^

Posted: Feb 18th, '07, 02:24
by bebemup
i'm also not a big fan of hers & i dont hate her (for i have no reason too)
but i have to agree she does sing pretty well and i really like some of her songs (:

Posted: Feb 18th, '07, 04:35
by nevastroyka
I can't stand extreme screeching songs early in her career like "A song for XX", "Trust", "Kanariya", "Fly High" etc though... Also, anything after "HEAVEN" is crap... Her Countdown Live '06 and other recent lives were so garbage, I think she lost her voice. I hope she would retire soon, before fading too much.

retire?! :unsure: I dont think she should retire!!

And I love A song for XX! :cry: specially the ferry Corsten chilled remix <- - -my favorite

And what do you mean she lost her voice? :O

Posted: Feb 18th, '07, 06:24
by 8thSin
nevastroyka wrote:And what do you mean she lost her voice? :O
She can't sing anymore... Especially can't hit those high notes any more. Have you heard CDL '06? Compare with any concert before '04 and you'll know what I mean. :roll

Posted: Feb 19th, '07, 02:14
by richardli
Maybe its just me but I actually think she looks some more pretty back then? Why do so many stars think they gotta do plastic surgery and dye their hair?

Posted: Feb 19th, '07, 17:00
by Ueda Jiro
richardli wrote:Maybe its just me but I actually think she looks some more pretty back then? Why do so many stars think they gotta do plastic surgery and dye their hair?
Yeah, I also think she looks cuter back then.

Posted: Feb 20th, '07, 01:13
by sorvani
the change is not that bad, although i do agree the look was "cuter" back then, "cute" does not last forever.
Her new look is basically straight out of any small face is better fashion magazine i've ever seen.

Posted: Feb 24th, '07, 21:54
by urpitsx2
hmm ayumi hamasaki looks almost the same except she is a little slimmer, etc but since im like a superrrrrrrrrr big fan of her any looks doesnt matter. she is cute now and then. but i really think she seems more happier in 1995 because since her first album recording her grandma died .. and i think it affected her alot since her father left her in th early time.. sigh* i wish her the best of luck :-)

Posted: Feb 24th, '07, 22:04
by urpitsx2
hmm i notice this too when i see her mv where she uses caucasion 's kids, grown ups. but i am not sure.. hmmm i dont think she wants to use that idea to get into united states because she is doing it for her fans.. maybe it because she thnks they stand out more? sorry if im wrong but ya.. :unsure:

Posted: Feb 24th, '07, 22:17
by QNSpider
I just saw Arashi's latest video and their were Caucasian people in it? Why? Because it's pop. If it were an r&b video or something urban, you think they'd use Caucasian people? No, they'd use black people, of course. So I guess Ayumi using Caucasian means it's "popular" to do so.

Edit: I'm sure she used a black person (or some other race) in another music video I can't remember.

Posted: Feb 24th, '07, 22:19
by sakurausagi318
thats completely not true, along with her using asians in the videos mentioned on the first page, she uses black people in Startin' and a few others, its just the majority of the time that she does that bc honestly, asians like us just like we like them

Posted: Feb 24th, '07, 22:24
by maru [ger]
I think its the same thing why I'm/we're listing that asian music, watching the tv series aso! Its something differnt then the ordinary life around me/us! For them we are the extraordaniry ^^

Posted: Feb 24th, '07, 22:32
by sakurausagi318
exactly

Posted: Oct 31st, '07, 15:41
by hackerz
where can I download Ayumi Hamasaki latest PV?? please.. onegai :salut:

Image

Posted: Oct 31st, '07, 15:48
by hackerz
Ayumi!!!!!!!!!!!!

really like watching her PV, its like watching drama! hahaha 8)

Image