Recommended Japanese Restaurants

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
tUrtleAE86

Recommended Japanese Restaurants

Post by tUrtleAE86 » Nov 23rd, '05, 20:08

After reading the Japanese Food Discussion thread, I thought it'd be a great idea to have a place where people can recommend their favorite Japanese restaurants in their city. :D

So, if you'd like to contribute, state your city, and supply the address/website link, and a short description. I'll start things off:

Toronto (Greater Toronto Area), Canada
Le Cafe Michi
(416) 490-9688
1802 Pharmacy Ave.
Scarborough

Hours:
Monday: Closed
Tues - Sunday: 11:30am-8:00pm、
Sunday: 11:30am-6:00pm

Very underrated restaurant! It's Japanese-run, and not many non-Japanese know about this place. Very small, cozy and a great place to take a date. Typical main courses are donburi, udon or curry rice, with beef/chicken/eel. Although simple, their food is realllllly good. And their cakes are awesome, I recommend the chocolate sake cake, and the green tea cake. They bake cakes, cookies and other dessert type things every day. They also have karaoke in the back, mainly old tunes. My Japanese teachers usually go there to sing.. it's so cute lol.

Toronto (Greater Toronto Area), Canada
Kagoshima Japanese Restaurant
(905) 415-9868
8362 Kennedy Rd. (Near Kennedy Rd./Hwy 7)
Markham

For reasonably priced sushi restaurants (~$15-$20 for a good meal), this is the best one I've been to. Although it's Chinese-run, the chef, Peter, worked in Osaka for a number of years, and is great. Freshness, quality and variety are excellent too.
Last edited by tUrtleAE86 on Nov 27th, '05, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Nov 23rd, '05, 20:19

Woah, finally, an IMPORTANT topic:

Los Angeles Little Tokyo District:

1. Suehiro Cafe on First Street. Simply the best cheap Japanese diner in L.A.
2. Curry House in Weller Court. For some reason, it always feels like a party in there!
3. GO 55 Sushi on the third floor of the old Yaohan Plaza (where Mitsuwa market is). The best sushi in L.A., and expensive!
4. The lunch counter in the Mitsuwa market! Really crowded on Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Super cheap.

Universal City:

Not sure why there are 20 sushi restaurants within three blocks on Ventura Blvd, but the best one is Tama Sushi, and it is VERY expensive. The owner is a fellow named Katsu, who once owned the most expensive sushi restaurant in L.A., Katsu Sushi, which was always filled with movie stars and where you could easily spend $150 per person not including the sake. When you ordered mirugai sashimi at katsu it writhed around maniacally on the plate.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 23rd, '05, 20:52

If anyone ever happens to come to a cute little town with the name Wolfsburg (where Volkswagen cars come from) in Germany I'd recommend you the restaurant I once worked at. It's supposedly a Sushi-Bar but it also has normal tables where you can order all kinds of Japanese dishes from a menu. Their Tonkatsu (9 €, comes with rice and salad) is great, so are their soups (2,50 € upwards) but their Mochi (4 € / 2 pieces, quite expensive but awfully good) and their Karaage (7,50 €, comes with rice and the best sauce on earth) beat it all. Also if you like Sushi you shouldn't miss the chef's special: Big Baked Roll (5 € / roll), which is fried but still raw on this inside. If I remember correctly it's filled with Tamago-yaki, avocado and crabs or something. Anyway, it's delicious!
Their prices are somewhat high but keep in mind this is some classy restaurant!
Opened everyday from 12 am - 11 pm, Fridays and Saturdays from 12 am - 11 pm.

If you happen to visit Amagasaki-city, in Hyougo prefecture (Japan) don't miss the Japanese restaurant in the underground close to the 100 Yen shop that is directly located at Tachibana Station. (I forgot the name but with my explanation you cannot miss it.) The owner / waitress is like the friendliest person in the world (she even went off from work just to buy my some Omiyage from the 100 Yen shop, although I was only eating at her restaurant and exchanging a couple of sentences with her). Their prices are awesome. I ordered Karaage and paid only like 6 or 7 Euro. I had cold and hot o-cha and water for free (as they usually serve those drinks for free in Japanese restaurants), a LOT of rice, salad and kimuchi, too. I really couldn't complain. When I didn't manage to eat it up, the lovely owner made me nigiri of the leftovers. ^_^ Now if that wouldn't convince anyone to stop by and try it out.

groink

Post by groink » Nov 23rd, '05, 21:06

For us Hawaiians, we're running our own topic at the KIKU-TV message board:

http://kikutvcom.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~956.asp

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

sasorisa

Post by sasorisa » Nov 23rd, '05, 22:55

in NYC:

West - Yakiniku (St. Marks)

It's a fun place to bring people to because you once you go inside, you must remove your shoes and once you're seated, it LOOKS like you're sitting on the floor but in reality there's a hole and your feet are underneath the table. (sounds confusing, no?). Anyway, Yakiniku is where you grill your own meat, seafood etc. It's good for groups of people. Especially if you go with a group, you'll be able to enjoy the atmosphere when your beef catches of fire! ^_^;;

Don't know the name of it (St. Marks down the street from West - Yakiniku)

Takoyakis! I wonder if this is the only place where they have it (it sure does seem that way if you google takoyakis+nyc). They also have oki- something - the pancake thing~!

tUrtleAE86

Post by tUrtleAE86 » Nov 24th, '05, 05:41

sasorisa wrote:in NYC:
They also have oki- something - the pancake thing~!
Okonomiyaki? :-)

dochira

Post by dochira » Nov 24th, '05, 08:52

From what I hear, it seems all the good Japanese places skip Northern California in favor of SoCal. I can't find an okonomiyaki place up in the the SF Bay Area. :unsure:

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Nov 24th, '05, 17:52

Don't feel too bad, they skip Canada entirely ;^)

LeechKing

Post by LeechKing » Nov 24th, '05, 18:08

Kathleen wrote:If anyone ever happens to come to a cute little town with the name Wolfsburg (where Volkswagen cars come from) in Germany I'd recommend you the restaurant I once worked at. It's supposedly a Sushi-Bar but it also has normal tables where you can order all kinds of Japanese dishes from a menu. Their Tonkatsu (9 €, comes with rice and salad) is great, so are their soups (2,50 € upwards) but their Mochi (4 € / 2 pieces, quite expensive but awfully good) and their Karaage (7,50 €, comes with rice and the best sauce on earth) beat it all. Also if you like Sushi you shouldn't miss the chef's special: Big Baked Roll (5 € / roll), which is fried but still raw on this inside. If I remember correctly it's filled with Tamago-yaki, avocado and crabs or something. Anyway, it's delicious!
Their prices are somewhat high but keep in mind this is some classy restaurant!
Opened everyday from 12 am - 11 pm, Fridays and Saturdays from 12 am - 11 pm.
Hey Kathleen.. Im living in Wolfsburg.. so where did u say the shop is? i could give it a try

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Nov 24th, '05, 21:56

Hmm, I suppose I should mention MY tonkatsu recipe.

Bread pork cutlets by alternately dipping in raw egg and pressing into CORN FLAKE CRUMBS. Yes, corn flake crumbs, not panko. Do this three times to get a good coating of crumbs. Then deep fry in hot oil.

I also recommend Kikkoman brand tonkatsu sauce, it is a much superior product to most of the others.

Pretty simple, but it does take a bit of time.

You can make a bunch of tonkatsu up in advance, and then use S&B prepared Japanese curry to make katsu curry:

Cut carrots and potatoes into small chunks and boil 20 minutes in a pot with just enough water to cover, add the curry mix and cook for 5 minutes more (stir well!) and you are done. If you coordinate the cooking of the rice and have some tonkatsu premade and frozen you can have katsu curry ready in a half hour.

LittleGreenGrasshopper
Geinou
Geinou

Post by LittleGreenGrasshopper » Nov 24th, '05, 22:20

pokute wrote:Don't feel too bad, they skip Canada entirely ;^)
:blink ... I invite you to visit Vancouver, BC then. Lots of good Japanese restaurants run by Japanese people. Tho, I'll admit that I have yet to find a place that serves curry like they do in Japan (but I'm sure there is, just not looking hard enough :lol ).

Here's a favorite of mine, it's a nice cozy place (ie: really small, really cramp, really reminds me of Japan -.- )

Gyoza King
158 Robson Street, Vancouver

[link in japanese]
[review link

Another good place in a fairly upscale part of the city:

Shiru-Bay Chopstick Cafe
1193 Hamilton Street, Vancouver, BC

[review link]

There's also a ramen shop on the same street, don't recall the name, but hey, if you want to eat ramen like they do in Japan (ie: sit on a stool with other customers, slurping away), this is the place.
Last edited by LittleGreenGrasshopper on Nov 24th, '05, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
Join the VSS. Always on the lookout for good seeders.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 24th, '05, 22:24

LeechKing wrote:Hey Kathleen.. Im living in Wolfsburg.. so where did u say the shop is? i could give it a try
HUH? Are you kidding me? There's actually another d-addict-member from Wolfsburg?? that's kind of funny actually. Well the name is Sushi Berlin (because this is where they opened their first shop) and it's located in "Schillerstraße" close to "Kaufhof". You actually cannot miss is. I'm surprised you never heard of it before, considering Wolfsburg is such a little... Kuhkaff. :mrgreen:

LeechKing

Post by LeechKing » Nov 25th, '05, 22:34

LOL actually i never pay attention to where im at... thanks for the info.. ill look for the shop when i feel like eating japanese food...

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Nov 26th, '05, 01:25

@LittleGreenGrasshopper - I tried 5 Japanese restaurants in Vancouver in July. They were uniformly horrrrrrrible!

One was a fairly fancy place over on Lonsdale Quay, all the locals there were enthusing about the food with the staff.. we were MORTIFIED. For a place with overall excellent quality fish for sale only 100 yards away, everything the sushi bar had was obviously deep-frozen.

LittleGreenGrasshopper
Geinou
Geinou

Post by LittleGreenGrasshopper » Nov 26th, '05, 03:39

pokute wrote:@LittleGreenGrasshopper - I tried 5 Japanese restaurants in Vancouver in July. They were uniformly horrrrrrrible!

One was a fairly fancy place over on Lonsdale Quay, all the locals there were enthusing about the food with the staff.. we were MORTIFIED. For a place with overall excellent quality fish for sale only 100 yards away, everything the sushi bar had was obviously deep-frozen.
Hmmm, okay, I guess you have a valid reason there. Though, I wouldn't trust anyplace at Lonsdale Quay as being a good reference for anything (well, except maybe the marketplace, but heck, that can't even compare to Granville Island). Not sure what other places you tried, but either you have a pretty selective taste palette or you were pretty unlucky. I'd still say Vancouver is as good a place to find good Japanese places as any (outside of Japan).
Join the VSS. Always on the lookout for good seeders.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Nov 26th, '05, 18:02

We had pretty much the same experience in Victoria. Look, I've been to Japan (all over Japan), and the Japanese food in B.C. is like some strange form of "guessing" what Japanese food is like from pictures, or something. We also tried several of the Chinese restaurants in Victoria's Chinatown, and on average it resembled the food served in the Enchanted Tiki Room at Disneyland.

English food was uniformly excellent in B.C., as were French inspired fish dishes.