Things I noticed from Jdramas.

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
johnjeon

Things I noticed from Jdramas.

Post by johnjeon » Nov 9th, '05, 02:18

(I mean this topic to be light-hearted and fun, no heavy criticism.)

I'm pretty new to Japanese tv series; I've maybe seen 6-8 series
but even in the ones I really liked, there was often something that
made me go, "Whaaa?" I'm wondering if others have the same experience.

For example, in Japan -

To make a good impression on a beautiful woman, stammer and
cry in front of her as often as possible -- Densha Otoko

If you're a woman and need an operation from a male doctor
you're expected to become his girlfriend -- Summer Snow

Tokyo has taxis, buses and a good subway system but if you
need to get somewhere in an emergency you should run -- Just about
every series I've watched.

Do others have observations they would like to add?

Gir

Re: Things I learned about Japan from Jdramas.

Post by Gir » Nov 9th, '05, 04:48

johnjeon wrote:(I mean this topic to be light-hearted and fun, no heavy criticism.)
Tokyo has taxis, buses and a good subway system but if you
This is kind of funny as I just watched a ep. of the anime Yakitate Japan, where they were late for a competition so everyone started running to it. But one character just stood there a moment and said, "Most people would just take a car.".

I have noticed this show has a tendency to point out those kind of "show" things.

Smiley_18

Post by Smiley_18 » Nov 9th, '05, 05:15

haha.. funny stuff you said. :D

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Nov 9th, '05, 06:14

Everywhere in Tokyo is within sight of Tokyo Tower. :D

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Nov 9th, '05, 07:49

johnjeon wrote:Tokyo has taxis, buses and a good subway system but if you
:lol :lol That seems to be the case in K-dramas as well.

Keeper of hells gate2

Things I have learned

Post by Keeper of hells gate2 » Nov 20th, '05, 08:27

I have noticed some things as well :)

1) Hitting 30 years of age is a major deadline
2) Once you are married I guess your life is set
3) I really have a hard time determing a Japanese persons age. 21 looks like 15 and 30 look like 22
4) Yeah, I noticed the running thing two
5) Not alot of over weight people in Japan - might have something to do with all of that running :)
6) The Japanese are very fashionable
7) Class is a big issue in Japan
8) "I love you" is a pretty common phrase for someone you just met
9) The Japanese really don't hind their feelings even to a stragner
10) The Japanese seem to consume alot of alchohol.
11) Smoking doesn't seem to be a major problem there
12) When you are drunk you can get away with doing and saying alot.
13) The whole senior/Junior thing
14) Students actually all and do wear school uniforms (that must suck)
15) Japanese School Girls can be viscious.
16) Alot of bowing alot - it not just a formal thing.
17) When you break up with your love one - its almost a certain guarantee its going to rain.
18) A umbrella can be a pimping tool, not just something to keep dry
19) Out of a country 126 million people and conjestion you are magically going to meat a person at either the appriopiate or inapprioate time.
20) 700 yen isn't alot of money
21) Your most personal information is going to be know by your neighbors friends and entire family - a major lack or privacy.
22) Slurping the noddles is good manners
23) The love age gap can be pretty pretty big
24) Cross walks are lethal after a breakup
25) Nakama Yukie is far to beautiful its scary.

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Nov 20th, '05, 12:55

All nurses in Japan look like idols. :)

docsnoek

Re: Things I have learned

Post by docsnoek » Nov 20th, '05, 13:02

Since I just spent 3 weeks in Japan, just some comments on how true these things actually are, based on "Keeper of hells gate2"-comments.

3) I really have a hard time determing a Japanese persons age. 21 looks like 15 and 30 look like 22

Absolutly true. So hard to tell...

5) Not alot of over weight people in Japan - might have something to do with all of that running :)

Actually, there are. Especially school kids, when you see classes out on a school trip pass by (and you see a lot of those...), there are always at least... 5 kids with obvious weight issues.

6) The Japanese are very fashionable

True. They can wear the strangest clothes and it still can look cool. Well, sometimes just plain hilarious, but still cool. And a lot of men in suits :)

10) The Japanese seem to consume alot of alchohol.

Oh yeah, they do. Especially when you ride one of the last trains, lots of drunk business men. Or if you go out on a friday night, chances are pretty good that you see some people who just had too much. And thats at 10pm.

All the time, it seems. Even on Sundays.

16) Alot of bowing alot - it not just a formal thing.

And it's fun, too! ;)

Oh, yes... and it's fun, too! ;)

25) Nakama Yukie is far to beautiful its scary.

And she can be seen everywhere. Everytime you pass by a au-shop (mobile phones), everytime you ride the subway (ads for medicine and stuff) or when you watch tv (well, besides the drama). Pretty hot right now too: Kanno Miho (on lots of magazine covers and ads) and Ayase Haruka (doing commercials for Pocari Sweat, which can be seen on this cool website.)

Hayashi_kun

Post by Hayashi_kun » Nov 20th, '05, 13:10

haha very interesting observations

not when the uniforms are so cool! they look so gd in them (both guys n girls) (no fetish here)

only when eating udon, ramen as an appreciation of how delicious they are.
a no no when eating pasta.

littlemissfab

Post by littlemissfab » Nov 20th, '05, 13:43

Some more I may add to the list

1) High school guys start a fight with just a simple stare down

2) Women who wear kimonos are really hot. Which I find weird because it doesn't show any patch of skin from the neck to the ankles.

3) They give respect to elders, there's Otosan, Okasan, Onee-chan, Onichan, Sempai, Aniki, Anego...

4) They can get away with doing slapstick comedy in real life. (i.e. wild facial expressions, waving of hand in front of face, random dancing around, weird martial arts poses..)

5) There's always a "rotten apples" class. One of the students will have parent issues. One of them will have a past problem with teachers and will lash out on the current teacher. One will have a "koi" problem..

Rewrite|Devil

Post by Rewrite|Devil » Nov 20th, '05, 13:54

littlemissfab...
i agree on number2...........

diablonhn

Post by diablonhn » Nov 20th, '05, 14:30

middle-aged japanese men date and sleep with underaged school girls

Gir

Post by Gir » Nov 20th, '05, 14:41

Keeper of hells gate2 wrote:I have noticed some things as well Smile

Actually for women it is 26, (though not as much now days).
Thus leading to the calling of unwed 26 year old women as "Christmas Cakes".
See, the Japanese have cakes for Christmas, and as of Dec. 26th unsold "Christmas cakes" are considered old and 'unsellable".
Hayashi_kun wrote: 14) Students actually all and do wear school uniforms (that must suck)

not when the uniforms are so cool! they look so gd in them (both guys n girls) (no fetish here)
This is a interesting article on that subject: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/get ... 0824f2.htm
Last edited by Gir on Nov 20th, '05, 16:37, edited 2 times in total.

Jeshka

Post by Jeshka » Nov 20th, '05, 15:30

I've been teaching at a Japanese high school for three months--and a lot of stuff I’ve seen in high school dramas isn’t so far off the mark: here are a few things I learned about Japan through watching Japanese dramas that are actually, from my experience, true:

1. Students have way too much free time between classes
2. School is about hanging out with friends. And occasionally a teacher will show up. But you don't actually have to listen to the teacher if you don't want to. Just keep talking to your friends. :cussing:
3. There is no adult supervision at school
4. It's all about who has the best obento (lunch)
5. Japanese high school boys love each other. A lot.
6. Japanese high school boys have the best hair care products in the world
7. School festivals ROCK!
8. Beetles and bugs in Japan are really big. And really gross (Nobuta wo Produce)
9. Drinking milk, milk tea and milk coffee from juice boxes is cool.
10. After school club activity is really, really, important.
11. If you don't have a bike basket on your bike, you've got nothing.

Shana

Post by Shana » Nov 20th, '05, 15:36

Interesting and funny observations. It's great to know that we learn culture and tradition just by watching television shows. I just adore the Japanese culture because we have some similarities. ;)

Aside from running, they do ride bicycles frequently too. I also love the way they sound whenever they say something in English. So cute! :)

Chunly

Post by Chunly » Nov 20th, '05, 15:45

woah, really interesting to see this tread. hehe a lot of thing that people say in there is really true. but about the uniform, i think its so cute!!! they look so great.. bu in here in canada, the uniform is too.. like.. boring? maybe taht why us, in the north of america, we hate uniform? don't you think so? lol? :glare:

acidkung

Post by acidkung » Nov 20th, '05, 16:25

talking about student uniform, thai uniform is all the same.. for boys, it's white shirt and shorts (black, brown blue or navy blue) girls, the same thing except it's a skirt. every school is the same... way from kindergarten to hight school - -" the only thing that tells where're your school is abbr. of your school name on your chest.

btw, this thread is interesting. i'd love to learn japanese culture :lol

littlemissfab

Post by littlemissfab » Nov 20th, '05, 18:38

It's common courtesy to say "yoroushiko onegaishimasu" when you meet a senior. it's respect. like asking them for their guidance.

Also, it's common courtesy to say itterashai for i'm leaving, ittekimasu for the person to acknowledge that you're leaving. Tadaima for telling people that you're back home.. and okaerinasai for people to welcome you back home

It's a factoid, but the Japanese aren't the showiest of races when it comes to emotion. (please, don't flog me)

anywhere in Japan can be reached by a train.

society is stricter when it comes to taboo issues. Society frowns upon single moms, the open discussion of sex and drugs.

The Japanese have different dialects.

There are some cities that are friendlier than the others. Especially if you're a foreigner.

People seem to give you a higher approval rating when you've lived in the US. Well, especially if you're young (they think it's cool)

For some weird reason, they have no words that begin with "L". The current generation however, have created some words that begin with "L"

Real estate in Japan is CRAZY. Takkai.

They drive on the left side of the road.

Basic katakana/hiragana/kanji reading is from right to left of the material and top to bottom.

The Yakuza are still feared. Do not be fooled by Gokusen.

Toritorisan

Post by Toritorisan » Nov 21st, '05, 04:02

This is in an interesting thread, so I thought I'd contribute my observations since I lived in Japan.

1.) People do tie up their hair when eating just like Shuji in Nobuta.wo Produce. Lot of my co-workers did that when they ate their lunch in the back at work. :D

2.) The "chikans" you see in dramas to exists. One of my guy friends got groped by another guy! :blink Also, my friend studying abroad in Tokyo started wearing shorts under her skirts when she sat on the train! "Watch out for the hen na jiji's!" as we used to say!

3.) Fashion is everything in Japan! And yes,women will wear mini-skirts with no nylons or nothing when it is snowing! (While I, of course, wore like two pairs of pants at one time cause I was freezing! How do they do it???)

4.) Restaurants really do have those long, long lines at lunch! Can't believe I actually stood in line for a ramen restaurant for 1 1/2 hours! (It was worth it though, probably the best ramen I ever ate! :P )

5.) I agree with having to run everywhere! I ran so much to catch my train! I was in the best shape of my life. And Japan has so many steep stairs everywhere!

littlemissfab

Post by littlemissfab » Nov 21st, '05, 04:15

I agree with Torotorisan

1. Yes. The japanese do tie their hair up, it has to do something with enjoying the meal without any intrusion.

2. Public Utility Vehicle gropers are indeed a part of the society. I remember there was a book written by a train groper. He tells his exploits in the book. Pretty sickening.

and

5. Japan is like stair and bike capital. In Japan, both the girls and guys have strong legs. Early training starts from going up and down to their classrooms in school and biking to and fro. Girls with slender legs are a minority. One of the plusses of Miss Misaki Itoh.. :-) (Remember the Gokusen scene when she was introduced to the school? The camera lingered on her legs for a bit.. :P)

Keeper of hells gate2

Post by Keeper of hells gate2 » Nov 21st, '05, 08:48

About the uniform thing. I have been out of high school for a bit now, but I couldn't image going to school ever day looking like everybody else. Where is the individualism. If I had to go to school everyday looking like every body else I would feel more like a large group rather then a individual person. (Actually, that might be the reason why they wear uniforms). I remember back in High School their was a small movement by a group of teachers who were over exaggerating to columbine shooting situation, to have us wear uniforms at school. This outraged many of the students and parents of the students that we were going to walk out in protest and some parents even threatened to move their kids to other school districts. As one might expect the uniform idea didn't pass. Although, I have to admit girls in school uniforms do look pretty cute, I just don't think I could have stood to see it every day. So instead I got to see Jeans and Shorts everyday.

canon05

Post by canon05 » Nov 21st, '05, 10:11

[quote="Chunly"]woah, really interesting to see this tread. hehe a lot of thing that people say in there is really true. but about the uniform, i think its so cute!!! they look so great.. bu in here in canada, the uniform is too.. like.. boring? maybe taht why us, in the north of america, we hate uniform? don't you think so? lol? :glare:[/quote]

@Chunly: There are private schools require students to wear the uniform, but it's costly.

This is an interesting thread! ^^
To add the list: I noticed they can do smoking anywhere they want-----smoking inside buildings is allowed! :blink I saw once one character smoking inside a hospital. Still can't believe that

Em_mie

Post by Em_mie » Nov 21st, '05, 10:14

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS HOMEWORK
--i noticed this in episode 3 of Nobuta no Produce when Kame's running around doing all those activites and I wondered how he was doing homework as well.

TEACHERS CANNOT TEACH
--also from Nobuta no Produce...they are just there for comedic relief

EVERYBODY'S UNIFORM LOOKS BRANDNEW
--seriously...im guessing if you wear something almost everyday for a year, it should be a little bit worn out

JAPANESE DUDES HAVE FREAKISHLY LONG FEET
--im looking at you jun matsumoto

PARENTS DON'T GET INVOLVED OVERMUCH WITH THEIR KIDS' LIVES
--not even a how was school today...

Rewrite|Devil

Post by Rewrite|Devil » Nov 21st, '05, 10:22

yeah...where are their homework..did the teachers do their job??
here we had tons of it..uh

gsr_raver

Post by gsr_raver » Nov 21st, '05, 10:23

TRUE TRUE, i think that the ideal JAPAN!!

B@NZ@I

Kiruccia

Post by Kiruccia » Nov 21st, '05, 10:26

Gir wrote:
Keeper of hells gate2 wrote:I have noticed some things as well Smile
Actually for women it is 26, (though not as much now days).
Thus leading to the calling of unwed 26 year old women as "Christmas Cakes".
See, the Japanese have cakes for Christmas, and as of Dec. 26th unsold "Christmas cakes" are considered old and 'unsellable".
Our teacher has told us this story!!!
I'm 28... and this is my worse nightmare!!!

aisu_kurimu

Post by aisu_kurimu » Nov 21st, '05, 10:28

things i picked up:

All teachers are either real hardasses or genuinely great people who go the extra mile to find out about your personal life and fix everything like a fairy godmother.

Gravity does not apply for hair.

Pink is a color for both guys and girls.

Either extending the last syllable of every other sentence you say or adding a completely random sound that doesn't mean anything is cute, ie "kawaiiiiiiiiiiii" or "konnichiwa-nyu~~"

All people from Osaka are hyper or very animated.

Office ladies lead very boring lives. (Only exception to the rule! Jinnkama-san from Densha Otoko XD)

Kiruccia

Post by Kiruccia » Nov 21st, '05, 10:30

Your teacher always fall in love with you (And I hope that I happen the same one in the real life!!! My teacher of Korean language is wonderful!!! :D)

Jeshka

Post by Jeshka » Nov 21st, '05, 10:32

Things I learned about Japan (and life) from J-dramas, that actually turned out to be true, continued:

1. It’s okay to alter, or flat out change, someone’s name to suit your needs (Nobuta, Hana Yori Dango, Jeshka)

2. Going to the hospital = meeting a really hot, young, single doctor (I swear—my Japanese friend went to a hospital in Tokyo to be treated for dehydration and left with a phone number. They went out last week and plan to get together on his next day off. She said, and I quote, “I thought these things only happen in dramas, but it happened to me!”

3. Its important to lock your bike before leaving it somewhere. It’s also useful to remember where you put the key (Nobuta)

4. Japan isn’t particularly well-equipped for people with handicaps (Beautiful life)

5. Don’t do anything your younger sibling could do for you instead (Nobuta)

Things I wish I learned from J-Dramas, but instead had to learn on my own:

1. Walking down school stairs wearing school slippers is really, really dangerous.

2. Look carefully before buying rice balls. Ume (pickled plum) and Sake(salmon) are not the same thing, even though the packaging is similar, so don’t confuse them. In fact, avoid the ume at all costs.

3. Knowing how to read and speak Japanese if you live in Japan can be helpful (please refer to number 2)

littlemissfab

Post by littlemissfab » Nov 21st, '05, 10:34

Hahahahaha. The generation gap in Japan is at it's peak right now. Seriously. With the emergence of guys with waxed brows and frosted hair tips, together with the scantically clad jpop girls.. it's driving parents crazy. The kids nowadays aren't taking their lives as serious as before.

The suicide rates for college entrance exam results have decreased....

The workforce is starting young...

Oh well.

gsr_raver

Post by gsr_raver » Nov 21st, '05, 10:50

I was wondering in The J-Drama:

Mens and Females seems to be more timid when something is wrong. (not the hard asses)

For Example in USA, if you eating at Embers and the waiter gives you the wrong dish, they come bolding and tells you that it they had a mistake ands it's a free lunch.. or watever.
In japan it seems that they come and Bow down to you and they look like you going Kill them or something because they made a mistake and it's the end of the world as we speak.

yes in also notice that they do a lot of bowing, I almost everytime someonce happends it was "(BOW) (BOW) sorry.."

Em_mie

Post by Em_mie » Nov 21st, '05, 11:25

oh yeah i just remembered one:

the dudes can all fight and kick antagonist butt!

i sometimes wonder if this is true. i have a Korean friend who told me that taking tae kwon do classes and becoming a black belt is highly stressed in korea. wonder if its the same in japan.... :scratch:

meiohsetsuna
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by meiohsetsuna » Nov 21st, '05, 11:35

I have made several observations about Japanese hospitals through dramas:

1) Kids get to suffer and can't have surgery unless there is a genious in America.

2) There are no hospital bills to pay. Your visit is always free.

3) No matter WHAT ailment you walked into the hospital with, you'll always get an intraveneous drop of some sort. (Needles in your arm)

4) Fainting is common and always results in a hospital trip.

5) Nearly 90% of those with grave, uncurable illnesses will eventually recover.

6) There are no specific visiting hours in a Japanese hospital. You can come and go as you please.

7) It's common and rather easy to sneak out of the hospital despite having guards at the door and needles in your arms.

8) There are usually guards surrounding your hospital door when someone hates you.

9) Nurses are always cute. Doctors are always hot. Nobody old will ever tend to you.

10) Every hospital is equipped with a beatiful garden where the nurses take you outside once in a blue moon and some of the most heart breaking information is told to you. *keep away from those gardens!*

Short, funny list. :)

littlemissfab

Post by littlemissfab » Nov 21st, '05, 11:35

Em_mie wrote:oh yeah i just remembered one:

the dudes can all fight and kick antagonist butt!

i sometimes wonder if this is true. i have a Korean friend who told me that taking tae kwon do classes and becoming a black belt is highly stressed in korea. wonder if its the same in japan.... :scratch:
Ano... you're supposed to pick out an after-school activity. Not necessarily a sport. But some schools have various programs for that..

Jeshka

Post by Jeshka » Nov 21st, '05, 11:56

Hmmm...about gsr_raver's comment "In japan it seems that they come and Bow down to you and they look like you going Kill them or something because they made a mistake and it's the end of the world as we speak..." that reaction is fairly typical. In Japan, group orientation, work ethic, non-confrontation, presentation, service, and maintaining face is very important. Thus, if an employee makes a mistake, it's embarrassing for not just that individual, but, in many cases, the rest of the staff, too. Thus, the deep bowing and repeated apologizes.

And to Kiruccia--don't worry about the "Christmas Cake" analogy--luckily, it's becoming outdated. Though many women still choose to get married young, many opt to focus on work, school, and their personal lives, putting aside marriage and children until their mid thirties, if not later. Yeah, when I was interviewed in the U.S. for the position I have now in Japan, an American asked me how I would deal with being called a "Christmas Cake." But, I've only heard foreigners use that term, not Japanese. So enjoy being young, single, and 28.

As for things I learned from watching J-Dramas: Japanese men are really hot. Yee-haw!

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Nov 21st, '05, 12:06

Em_mie wrote:JAPANESE DUDES HAVE FREAKISHLY LONG FEET
--im looking at you jun matsumoto
:rofl: - i've noticed that too (and jun mastumoto was first that came to mind too!)
Keeper of hells gate2 wrote:1 8) A umbrella can be a pimping tool, not just something to keep dry
:rofl: such a great idea too.

man, this whole thread is hilarious!

i've definitely noticed these things too.. most obvious being the running. i also noticed the bowing thing... and from watching so many dramas i've kinda started doing it. not totally bent over, but enough for it to be a bow... or nod.. maybe a combo of both? :scratch:

every time someone gets sick they get a fever
related to running - they never call the person's cell. if someone is in danger they always run.
when someone is missing they run around a big city (FULL of people), and usually end up finding the person.
Majority of people are respectful (america seems more 'loose' or more concerned about getting ass)
doesn't matter how skinny or small a person is they can still beat up bad guys.

Kiruccia

Post by Kiruccia » Nov 21st, '05, 12:15

Jeshka wrote:And to Kiruccia--don't worry about the "Christmas Cake" analogy--luckily, it's becoming outdated. Though many women still choose to get married young, many opt to focus on work, school, and their personal lives, putting aside marriage and children until their mid thirties, if not later. Yeah, when I was interviewed in the U.S. for the position I have now in Japan, an American asked me how I would deal with being called a "Christmas Cake." But, I've only heard foreigners use that term, not Japanese. So enjoy being young, single, and 28.!
Pheuwwww!!! Now i'm a little bit more peaceful... :)
Jeshka wrote:As for things I learned from watching J-Dramas: Japanese men are really hot. Yee-haw!
:thumright:
Last edited by Kiruccia on Nov 21st, '05, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Nov 21st, '05, 12:17

Every time someone gets sick, they always go get them some "medicine"
(Translations probably doesn't do the phrase used justice.)
Must be why they live so long in Japan. They all have just the right stuff at home, all the time.

Everyone always live either in the highest building in the best and most posh area of town, or...
they will always have to cross a bridge in Tokyo to get home.

Everybody always knows instantly how to find their way around local subway, trains and busses.
Nobody ever looks at the local map or guide/directory (but thats the same in all dramas)

Single fathers with three children have no problem paying for rent of a huge house even though they live in a fairly posh area (central and stuff).

...except in "hotman" where they all pitch in working two jobs and managing highschool inspite of labour laws for children

wbadger

Post by wbadger » Nov 21st, '05, 12:21

littlemissfab wrote:Also, it's common courtesy to say itterashai for i'm leaving, ittekimasu for the person to acknowledge that you're leaving.
Small correction ^^, itterasshai is said to someone who is leaving and ittekimasu is said by the person leaving. I usually think of Ittekimasu as literally itte (go) and kimasu (come) together, so like "I'm going and coming back." :)

About the smoking, it isn't as much of a bad thing in Japan as it is in the US. The Japanese smoke a lot more, but they have less cancer problems. Probably due do all the green tea they drink. They drink that stuff hot, cold, canned, it is served on the plane even. >_O

They really are fashionable. Brand conscious to the point of absurd though. I swear, they show up to class with super fashionable clothes, styled hair, expensive bags, expensive accessories, etc. And I don't just mean the girls ^^;;

Ever notice that guys don't use backpacks, but shoulder bags like in Orange Days? They really do to. I hardly ever see Japanese guys with backpacks here.

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by x_XJules » Nov 21st, '05, 12:29

wbadger wrote:About the smoking, it isn't as much of a bad thing in Japan as it is in the US.
oh my goodness. americans are so ridiculous about the smoking issue. they just passed a law in my area that prohibits smoking in public areas (i.e. bars, restraunts) and they're trying to pass another one that doesn't allow smoking within 25 feet of a store or business... meaning you either smoke in the middle of the street or you smoke at home.

Em_mie

Post by Em_mie » Nov 21st, '05, 13:08

x_XJules wrote: related to running - they never call the person's cell. if someone is in danger they always run.
when someone is missing they run around a big city (FULL of people), and usually end up finding the person.
yeah like seriously....Japan is supposed to be way ahead of everyone in terms of technology and everyone there has a cell phone of some sort....funny how they never use it... :goggle:

i mean its not that hard to run and talk on the phone at the same time....

johnjeon

love is lethal

Post by johnjeon » Nov 21st, '05, 19:05

It seems like falling in love is a sure way for you, your lover,
or a close family member to end up dying.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Nov 21st, '05, 19:21

Ahhh... the running around thing! Fans of Sailor Moon know that running full speed around Tokyo looking earnest will always bring you face-to-face with whoever you are looking for!!

As for smoking and cancer... sorry, but drinking green tea will not save you. Lung cancer is a serious health problem in Japan. Note also that tuberculosis was epidemic in Japan through the 60's and that the Japanese burned their household rubbish right up through the 80's. There is an outrageous belief among many people that the Chinese do not suffer from cancer due to the liberal use of soy sauce... the opposite is true. I discussed this with a facial surgeon who worked in China for many years, he said there was an unbelievably high incidence of oral and esophageal cancer in China because of the consumption of soy sauce with high percentages of fusel oils due to the practice of burning all sorts of rubbish and using it to flavor soy sauce!!

The incidence of intestinal parasites in Japan was around 90% through the 70's due to eating raw fish AND home-grown vegetables! Intestinal parasites are still epidemic in Japan because of the general consumption of raw fish. But even the threat of parasites would not stop *me* from eating sushi ;^)

Em_mie

Post by Em_mie » Nov 21st, '05, 22:45

people hold grudges for a very long time...psychos....

littlemissfab

Post by littlemissfab » Nov 22nd, '05, 01:08

rubbish and soy sauce??

omigod!! my kikkoman fetish!! noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Nov 22nd, '05, 01:16

johnjeon wrote:Tokyo has taxis, buses and a good subway system but if you
I havent seen a jdrama yet where there are no running scene in it, or eating for that matter :p :lol :lol :lol

gsr_raver

Post by gsr_raver » Nov 22nd, '05, 01:32

I learned that you can go all around town and Beat people you don't like - Hana Yori Dango

I also learn that Teacher Will always protect so you do anything you like- Gokusen, GTO

I also learn that some Japan guys wears the same clothes everyday - HOTMAN 1 >>> ENZO

Shedding a Apple before eating can make you BALD :O . - Hana Yori Dango

2triky

Post by 2triky » Nov 22nd, '05, 01:39

gsr_raver wrote:I also learn that Teacher Will always protect so you do anything you like- Gokusen, GTO
everybody wants to have sex wit their high school teacher....

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Nov 22nd, '05, 03:02

Keeper of hells gate2 wrote:About the uniform thing. I have been out of high school for a bit now, but I couldn't image going to school ever day looking like everybody else. Where is the individualism. If I had to go to school everyday looking like every body else I would feel more like a large group rather then a individual person.
Lol... well all schools in NZ have uniforms, public, private, secular and religious. You kind of get used to it. I actually like my uniform, it's quite And with the whole individuality thing... clothes don't determine your individuality. You can be part of a group and an individual.

Toritorisan

Post by Toritorisan » Nov 22nd, '05, 05:19

aisu_kurimu wrote:
Pink is a color for both guys and girls.
I totally agree with this! Also, when I was back in Japan this past June, I learned that pink Barbie brand-name clothes for women (yes, for women) was a popular brand in Japan and available at most trendy department stores. I guess the concept is you can dress like Barbie!

And don't forget those pastel floral shirts for guys! My Japanese friend was shocked when I told her most guys in America shy away from that style!

Jeshka

Post by Jeshka » Nov 22nd, '05, 16:17

Things I wish I learned from J-dramas:

You must stop, drop, take off your indoor shoes, and put on you outdoor shoes before leaving the school during a fire drill...

urchin

Post by urchin » Nov 22nd, '05, 17:21

If you don't pay back your loan and you die, your whole family is responsible for paying it back. (Shiawase ni Naritai, Kikenna aneki)

canon05

Post by canon05 » Nov 22nd, '05, 18:46

Just noticed that Japanese often scratch their head when they're complimented or made fun of.

Jeshka

Post by Jeshka » Nov 22nd, '05, 19:46

Things I learned about Japan (and life) from J-dramas...(Hana Yori Dango)

1.There is a medical condition in Japan which causes people to loose all knee function upon hearing shocking/upsetting/surprising news, thereby causing them to fall to the floor in a dramatic, sweeping motion.

2. Evil, heartless parents breed really hot children.

3. Its okay to let people deceive, threaten, or drug you, as long as they know their "selfish actions have made you unhappy".

4. It's best to avoid clubs in Japan altogther--the risk of being beaten up, kicked, called an ugly witch, or offered sleeping-pill laced oolong tea is far too high. :sleeping:

gsr_raver

Post by gsr_raver » Nov 22nd, '05, 20:52

2triky wrote:
gsr_raver wrote:I also learn that Teacher Will always protect so you do anything you like- Gokusen, GTO
but they could teach you a thing or two. j/p
hahah that not what i ment go watch Gokusen

topnotch97

Post by topnotch97 » Nov 23rd, '05, 03:59

i found out that women at the workplace are treated different from men. men are favored, while women are treated like they try to seduce their boss to get promoted.
just by watching Moto Kare! the different between salaryman and office lady.

canon05

Post by canon05 » Nov 25th, '05, 22:35

I learned that most Jdrama features traditional/local restaurants. Foreign restaurants like McDonalds, etc are rare. True?

2triky

Post by 2triky » Nov 25th, '05, 22:58

gsr_raver wrote:
2triky wrote:
but they could teach you a thing or two. j/p
hahah that not what i ment go watch Gokusen
seen it...but they still want to have sex with their teacher. :P

Akiramike
Fansubber
Fansubber
Australia

Post by Akiramike » Nov 26th, '05, 11:45

x_XJules wrote:
wbadger wrote:About the smoking, it isn't as much of a bad thing in Japan as it is in the US.
oh my goodness. americans are so ridiculous about the smoking issue. they just passed a law in my area that prohibits smoking in public areas (i.e. bars, restraunts) and they're trying to pass another one that doesn't allow smoking within 25 feet of a store or business... meaning you either smoke in the middle of the street or you smoke at home.
They're doing the same thing in Australia as well. Smokes have no rights. :-(

himenajima

Post by himenajima » Nov 26th, '05, 12:12

haha this is a great thread. :salut: :cheers:

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Nov 26th, '05, 20:34

One more thing I noticed, most of the time when they eat, they must say its good or delicious out loud :P :lol :lol :lol

johnjeon

high school students

Post by johnjeon » Nov 26th, '05, 21:54

It appears the average age of a student in a boy's high school is
around 20-25. (Gokusen 1 & 2)

baoi

segoii tread!

Post by baoi » Nov 27th, '05, 00:24

Can i contribute to this awesome thread too??

1. They love Karaoke [Nobuta]
2. PUMA and ADIDAS bags are so instyle!
3. Nike and Converses are IN!!
4. They say Sumimasen instead of Gomenasai a lot..
5. Double Eyelids are very Hott
6. Blonde/brown/orange/DYED hair is a MUST!!
7. Guys in Japan are usually prettier then Foreign girls
Their hair is nicer and they dress way better, PLUS their eye brows looks so much cleaner and nicer!
8. no matter how much they eat they can never get fat.
This is a great thread, lots of laughs and memories..

canon05

Post by canon05 » Nov 27th, '05, 03:51

[quote="topnotch97"]i found out that women at the workplace are treated different from men. men are favored, while women are treated like they try to seduce their boss to get promoted.
just by watching Moto Kare! the different between salaryman and office lady.[/quote]

1> One more thing I learned from Moto Kare that if you've got a bad rumour, it's difficult to get back!

2> The students seem have a lot time to play. for chit chat too. Rarely see them studying. (eg Hana yori dango, Gokusen)

x_XJules
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: segoii tread!

Post by x_XJules » Nov 27th, '05, 04:39

baoi wrote:7. Guys in Japan are usually prettier then Foreign girls
Their hair is nicer and they dress way better, PLUS their eye brows looks so much cleaner and nicer!
ugh, so true. it's pretty bad when you wish you had some guy's eyebrows. :lol

chckboy5

Post by chckboy5 » Nov 27th, '05, 13:10

they like mexican food

Em_mie

Post by Em_mie » Nov 27th, '05, 16:48

Jeshka wrote:
2. Evil, heartless parents breed really hot children.
:cheers: HAHAHA so true!

Japanese men become hotter and sexier when you add water!

Kirari

Post by Kirari » Nov 27th, '05, 18:25

From what I've learned (HYD, Densha Otoko and a few more) ...

Umbrella is a fashion Faux-Pas! Men can not be seen with one, especially when waiting for your date to arrive. Instead, the wet look is in. So to make a good impression on the ladies, leave that umbrella alone when it's raining cats and dogs.

baoi

tofu shops??

Post by baoi » Nov 27th, '05, 19:26

Tofu shops are very popular in the dramas [nobuta / 1 liter of tears]

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Nov 27th, '05, 20:26

I think a more appropriate thread would be named "THINGS YOU NOTICE WATCHING JDRAMAS"

Since I notice a lot of the responses deal with more thing you notice than learned.

For me:
I notice almost every Fuji-TV production (that takes place modern day) shows the rainbow bridge or sometimes it will show the Fuji-TV building itself.
(this is because Fuji-TV headquarters is in Odaiba).
Its rare to see the rainbow bridge if its made by another studio such as TBS but I do recall seeing it once.

Depending on series, the characters are almost (not all the time) wearing the same type of clothes.

Also just like hollywood, characters are more attractive than real-life counterparts.

Discussed in another thread, Kissing scenes are different than say how hollywood would do it.

baoi

Post by baoi » Nov 27th, '05, 21:44

^ truth be told about the title...

- there are a lot of time when someone burries some treasure box in front of a tree.

Em_mie

Post by Em_mie » Nov 28th, '05, 14:34

unlike the scary banshee wailings of the koreans, japanese women cry with class and a little more dignity :D

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Nov 28th, '05, 15:47

high school dramas:

-if you get beaten up for no reason and try to defend yourself, the whole incident is definitely your fault. you'll most likely get expelled.
-if you get beaten up for no reason and you don't defend yourself, the whole incident is definitely your fault. you'll most likely get expelled.
-if someone spreads nasty rumors about you, rest assured, the whole incident is definitely your fault. you may not get expelled, but people will start hating on you in a way to make you wish you had been.
-if another person hates you, that would also be your fault. you may not get expelled, but that person will see to one of the earlier situations and the end result remains the same.
-however, if you're a low-down sleazy slime-ball or most recent psycho queen visiting your wrath upon hapless bystanders, you'll most likely get a slap on the wrist and your victim's undying friendship.

Karo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Karo » Nov 28th, '05, 16:02

Something I noticed after watching hana Yori dango ep 5 the second time... ^^ And a gokusen episode after that...

- whenever you bump into someone by accident... they will thinkt hat you want to pick a fight... So try to stay away from streets with lots of people... (hana yori dango, gokusen)

johnjeon

Post by johnjeon » Nov 28th, '05, 21:02

[quote]
I think a more appropriate thread would be named "THINGS YOU NOTICE WATCHING JDRAMAS"
[/quote]

(Can anyone change the name of a thread?)
The "Things I learned about Japan from Jdramas" title was
meant to be facetious. Obviously you can't reliably learn
anything about a culture from fictional dramas (that was the
point). I meant it as a humorous title where people could discuss
the sillier things they've seen in Jdramas.

(Now if I could just figure out how to make this Quote thing work.)