Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

How are J dramas aired in Japan?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

How are J dramas aired in Japan?

Post by zdoon » Oct 26th, '05, 04:46

Hi,

A small curiosity comes up. I'm wondering what the broadcast format is like in Japan. It seems like commercials happen in the midst of shows. Is this correct? Also, how frequently are episodes for a show aired? Is it once a week per show?

Thanks.

Smiley_18

Post by Smiley_18 » Oct 26th, '05, 05:06

Yes, Jdramas are aired like every other show on the planet, with commercials.
And yes, only one episode for each series is broadcasted per week.

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Oct 26th, '05, 05:13

Smiley_18 wrote:Yes, Jdramas are aired like every other show on the planet, with commercials.
It's not universal. Korean shows, for instance, are aired uninterrupted. Commercials occur after a show but not during, which is what I'm asking about.

veritati

Post by veritati » Oct 31st, '05, 04:49

The only difference is that each show/drama has its particular sponsor/s. In America, sponsors buy the best time slots. In Japan, you see the same sponsors every week for a particular drama. Advertising is huge in Japan that's why. Some actors/actresses make more from doing commercials than actual work. That's why many American actors/actresses do Japanese commercials. It's more like an athlete getting endorsements.

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Oct 31st, '05, 04:51

I didnt know that korean dramas air without any commercial breaks :unsure: ... but than again they have enough product placement in their dramas :P

everuler

Post by everuler » Oct 31st, '05, 16:57

hmm.. in singapore it's every weekdays instead of one episode per week, maybe that explain why singapore normally have at least 20 episodes dramas..

sadotsu

Post by sadotsu » Oct 31st, '05, 21:06

Yeah, same in China. Sometimes they air two or three episodes one after the other...

Jannah
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by Jannah » Oct 31st, '05, 21:59

WroW wrote:I didnt know that korean dramas air without any commercial breaks :unsure: ... but than again they have enough product placement in their dramas :P
So true. XD But still, I think I'd prefer product placement instead of commercials. I hate commercial breaks interrupting when I'm watching a good show. :glare:

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How are J dramas aired in Japan?

Post by neonkinpatsu » Nov 1st, '05, 00:43

zdoon wrote:Hi,

A small curiosity comes up. I'm wondering what the broadcast format is like in Japan. It seems like commercials happen in the midst of shows. Is this correct? Also, how frequently are episodes for a show aired? Is it once a week per show?

Thanks.
There are commercial breaks (but pretty brief compared to U.S.). For dramas and other regular shows, they seem to pop up totally at random, with pretty much no warning. No fade-out or anything, it just appears. It kinda used to startle me :roll When it comes back on, it's the same way....sorta sporadic.

For drama and longer varieties, around :54, usually the show ends and then you'll have a bulk of the commercials before the next show starts. Also, after the opening credits, you'll see the list of sponsors and there will be a voice-over reading each one and stating that they sponsor the episode....then at the end they'll do it again in past tense :P

Cartoons and stuff like that usually has an "eyecatch" which is a standard "We'll be right back" display and message before and after commercials.

As for frequency of episodes, it depends on the type of show. Varieties usually show 1 new ep per week....same for most evening dramas.

NHK shows are the ones that usually vary in length and/or frequency (that I can think of off the top of my head).

tUrtleAE86

Post by tUrtleAE86 » Nov 1st, '05, 20:16

Jannah wrote:So true. XD But still, I think I'd prefer product placement instead of commercials. I hate commercial breaks interrupting when I'm watching a good show. :glare:
I have no problem with product placement that I see dramas, but if there were no commercials, the sponsors would probably make the product placement into mini-subliminal commercials.

I think my brain is melting. :pale:

I think product placement can be pretty cool sometimes, actually. Like, before camera phones came out, the first time I ever saw one was in a Korean drama. :)

groink

Re: How are J dramas aired in Japan?

Post by groink » Nov 1st, '05, 20:23

neonkinpatsu wrote:NHK shows are the ones that usually vary in length and/or frequency (that I can think of off the top of my head).
NHK doesn't show commercials during the shows themselves. They do have some commercials in between shows. Keep in mind that NHK is a public TV network, and receives much of their funding through the country's broadcasting act, so they're not as hard-up on advertising as a privately owned TV network like Fuji TV or TBS.

--- groink