Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Streaming Japanese TV?

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
Cowster

Streaming Japanese TV?

Post by Cowster » Aug 18th, '05, 09:50

Since I saw that www.pplive.com has streaming live Chinese televison, I was wondering if anyone knew of a similar service for Japanese TV (either free or by subscription).

Thanks!

groink

Post by groink » Aug 18th, '05, 10:01

From previous D-Addicts postings and other articles I've read in the past, it is illegal to stream Japanese TV shows outside of their country. The only legal way Japanese shows can find their way into non-residents' hands is via authorized video rental outlets, in VHS/Betamax/DVD formats, and by licensed TV networks like NGN, TV Japan, etc. It's also illegal for the Japanese to rent out video capturing devices to non-residents for the purpose of private streaming or downloading. Maybe people outside of Japan can stream on non-Japan soil, but doing so is basically a huge open door for lawsuits.

--- groink

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Re: Streaming Japanese TV?

Post by yt_toshi » Aug 18th, '05, 11:03

Cowster wrote:Since I saw that www.pplive.com has streaming live Chinese televison, I was wondering if anyone knew of a similar service for Japanese TV (either free or by subscription).

Thanks!
I read from a a mailing list that both Fuji TV and NHK (I think) were going to start streaming Japanese TV on their own websites soon.

lizzo

Post by lizzo » Aug 19th, '05, 15:14

Mostly news, but occasionally other stuff:

http://members.aon.at/gfluch/Free_WebTV_4U_Asia.htm

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » Aug 19th, '05, 20:49

Here's the article that I was talking about, dating back to July 14, 2005:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuji TV jumps on Netcast bandwagon with VOD

The Yomiuri Shimbun

Following in the footsteps of broadcaster NTV, Fuji TV officially announced Tuesday that it would begin offering sports shows and other programming online from this month.

The companies have chosen to throw their hats into the ring to stay competitive with Netcasts by telecommunications companies and to make inroads into e-business by offering so-called rich content--television programs--from the broadcasters themselves.

While the complex issue of how to deal with copyright remains, the industry has been drawing public attention with its move toward a "fusion of broadcasting and telecommunications."

NTV and Fuji will both employ the Video On Demand (VOD) system, which allows subscribers to view what they want when they want, but prohibits them from copying programs. Fuji TV's new service, Fuji TV On Demand, will start by offering all 15 matches of the women's Volleyball World Grand Prix finals, which began Wednesday in Sendai. Users will be able to watch the games as early as Friday for 525 yen via the portal sites of participating Internet providers.

The service will begin Netcasting programs designed for communication satellite (CS) channels in August, and the television firms will also consider offering programming from terrestrial television. Livedoor is also expected to participate in the TV tie-up.

Meanwhile, Fuji TV will launch a membership-based site and begin looking at ways to use older television dramas and variety shows for which the broadcaster already has the copyright holder's consent.

The programming will be edited down into three- to 15-minute segments for better viewing on personal computers. Dramas that run longer than 15 minutes will be Netcast in installments. Fuji also said it planned to procure shows from overseas broadcasters.

ar-a-mach
Location: Acty Shiodome 1-1-6 Kaigan "Shiodome Sio-site"-Minato-Ku / Tokyo-

Post by ar-a-mach » Aug 20th, '05, 11:58

pplive is good hahaha i like to watch HBOasia and MBC dorama reruns

kaoru13

Post by kaoru13 » Aug 20th, '05, 20:54

i am waiting for that beautiful day when this would become reality. one of the tv stations will eventually take the plunge and then everyone will follow. then if there could be just some way to stream the food over here...ne! :lol

ar-a-mach
Location: Acty Shiodome 1-1-6 Kaigan "Shiodome Sio-site"-Minato-Ku / Tokyo-

Post by ar-a-mach » Sep 7th, '05, 14:15

Doc

Post by Doc » Sep 21st, '05, 23:53

Hello Hi, I was wondering the same concepts but for Vietamese telivision.

jmso

streaming tv from japan

Post by jmso » Jan 4th, '06, 07:22

is there any place where I stream japan tv channels or something? Mostly channels with talk shows and entertainment

thanks

crazygst

Post by crazygst » Jan 5th, '06, 21:28

I would also like to know where I could do this. I don't mind to pay either.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jan 6th, '06, 00:12

There was a topic on this before, so I'm merging the threads...

Miko Miko

Post by Miko Miko » Jan 7th, '06, 11:23

There is a place but it is not that good you can try Free internet tv but u have to pay $30 or go to www.tv4all.com and they have some the best is free internet tv i love so-net also u could try iiv network thats all i know.

godmode

Post by godmode » Jan 7th, '06, 11:33

you can try this site:
http://mediahopper.com/portal.htm

nothing good is ever on though..

groink

Post by groink » Apr 22nd, '06, 23:15

I tried searching through D-Addicts to see if this case was brought up. And this topic was the closest thing I could find.

Through some research I've been doing today, I came across the article that talks about F-Shrine (F社は), which is an organization that provided Japanese TV content for about 250 people located outside of Japan.

http://j-net21.smrj.go.jp/news/law/column/050414.html

Here's my brief translation of the article... According to Article 30 of Japan's Copyright Act, a person is allowed to record and distribute television content for personal use, as long as the content is used domestically (i.e. within Japan.) It is referred to as shiteki-fukusei (私的複製) or "private duplication" (equivalent to the fair use laws in the U.S.) The recordings can then be sent to family and friends for their personal use. However, F-Shrine tried to create a business model based on shiteki-fukusei, and the practice was eventually deamed illegal on October 7, 2004 in Tokyo District Court.

F-Shrine sells a combination PC and TV capture package. When purchased by a user, F-shrine store the equipment in their facility, and connects the equipment to both cable TV and to the Internet. The user can communicate with the equipment via the Internet so that he can program recording jobs. The recorded content can then transmitted over the Internet to the customer in the form of a file. NHK and five other broadcasting companies found out about operation, and basically sued F-Shrine on the grounds of copyright infringement, siting HOBANKYO (放送番組著作権保護協議会) as their argument.

F-Shrine claimed that their activities fell under shiteki-fukusei, in that the user owned the equipment, he paid for the TV feeds, and he did all the programming himself. F-Shrine just provided the facilities. Even though a "hand and foot" transaction (the user physically walking over to the facility and grabbing the video) wasn't done in this scenario, the process should still be deamed legal. And, the actual video content was not sold or rented. HOBANKYO, however, claimed that these users must also be physically living in Japan in order for hiteki-fukusei to kick in.

--- groink
Last edited by groink on Apr 23rd, '06, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.

jez321

Post by jez321 » Apr 23rd, '06, 04:27

I've heard that it is possible, apparently you need a box which you connect to the tv and internet that costs a few hundred $ (AU). If you know someone in Japan who doesn't mind connecting this box to their tv and net then you can watch it all for free...if not, you can pay some monthly rental fee to rent out a tv/internet connection with some company that will be used to send the tv to you...

groink

Post by groink » Apr 23rd, '06, 04:56

jez321 wrote:I've heard that it is possible, apparently you need a box which you connect to the tv and internet that costs a few hundred $ (AU). If you know someone in Japan who doesn't mind connecting this box to their tv and net then you can watch it all for free...if not, you can pay some monthly rental fee to rent out a tv/internet connection with some company that will be used to send the tv to you...
LOL! Someone didn't read my last post on this topic. :whistling:

jez321

Post by jez321 » Apr 23rd, '06, 06:04

groink wrote:
jez321 wrote:I've heard that it is possible, apparently you need a box which you connect to the tv and internet that costs a few hundred $ (AU). If you know someone in Japan who doesn't mind connecting this box to their tv and net then you can watch it all for free...if not, you can pay some monthly rental fee to rent out a tv/internet connection with some company that will be used to send the tv to you...
LOL! Someone didn't read my last post on this topic. :whistling:
LOL indeed, what you mentioned is a slightly different system plus you talked as if the company had been shut down so people may think there is no way to do it now. I'm saying it IS possible as I know someone who is doing it at the moment.

groink

Post by groink » Apr 23rd, '06, 06:15

jez321 wrote:LOL indeed, what you mentioned is a slightly different system plus you talked as if the company had been shut down so people may think there is no way to do it now. I'm saying it IS possible as I know someone who is doing it at the moment.
A company offering the service does NOT mean what they're offering is legal. That was the whole point of the article. Basically, any service that broadcasts, streams, uploads, or mails video out of Japan without approval by HOBANKYO is deemed illegal, according to the decision made by the Tokyo District Court.

It has nothing to do with the type of system you're referring to, and whether or not they're still in business and open to subscribers. To date, HOBANKYO has never given approval for this type of distribution. One side point is that if you do consider subscribing to service like this, I would not because HOBANKYO has a history of working with authorities outside of Japan in order to catch people. And the people involved aren't just the sellers... The BUYERS are also open to legal action. If you go to a video store in California and rent a video tape or DVD of a recorded TV show, and the recording does not display a HOBANKYO decal, you're open to legal action. Same thing with video services like F-Shrine and the company you're referring to - if the list of subscribers get in the hands of HOBANKYO and you're on that list, you're legally in trouble.

--- groink

jez321

Post by jez321 » Apr 23rd, '06, 06:39

Hmm ok fair enough, I don't know a whole lot about the legality of it and having your name and details listed by a company that's doing something illegal probably isn't a good thing.

Now I could be wrong about this but the impression that I got was that subscription to the company just provides the tv and internet connection to send you the data, so if you could get hold of one of these boxes and had a friend in Japan who didn't mind hooking it up to their tv and net, you wouldn't need to subscribe to a company at all.

edit: It's also a little scary to hear that this HOBANKYO takes this so seriously, wouldn't they then also have an interest in sites like d-addicts?