Kare Kano fans

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Kare Kano fans

Post by zdoon » Jul 31st, '05, 17:45

Am I alone in thinking that His and Her Circumstances is one of the most beautiful animes ever? I'm not even neccesarily referring to the "plot." This drama is beautiful for the exterior things, the way the scenes are drawn and the way they play out. Every "shot" is beautiful. Love the music too.

I've first watched this about 2 years ago and I'm just watching it again recently. The ambience, the expressionisms, crush me, I just want to die. :lol

stan culay

Post by stan culay » Jul 31st, '05, 17:55

You are not alone.
The only bad note would be the recap episodes that are not really necessary. It's a great anime indeed. i had to buy the DVD boxset... :-)

Deleted User 2067

Post by Deleted User 2067 » Jul 31st, '05, 18:33

You are definitely not alone, it's one of my favorite anime too bad i don't have time to re watch it. I have allot of dramas, animes and movies that i need to watch first.

GTOnizuka

Post by GTOnizuka » Jul 31st, '05, 18:35

Kare Kano is good but what bothered me was how it abruptly ended. :x
It drew me in and I was intrigued, but then outta no where done... So I bought the manga to keep the story going.

fairx

Post by fairx » Jul 31st, '05, 19:11

I read somewhere that the original author (Tsuda Masami) were dissatisfied wif gainax crappy production in the latter episodes and she wanted the serie to stop.. no second season..

but talk about being crappy.. hehehehehe... anybody who follows KareKano manga should know better....

Oh how I wish there were Parfait Tic anime / dorama / Tw drama. Peach Girl? I wonder whats so damn good about Peach Girl.. (not to offend PG fans tho)

wait.. why are we talking bout Shoujo Manga in d-addicts? and why are we using anime/manga av?

P0KEY
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by P0KEY » Jul 31st, '05, 20:06

i downloaded it, and watched it, but i stopped, so i still have a lot to go ^^

but i enjoy it, and that`s saying something because anime isn`t my thing. i prefer dramas by a long shot ^____^

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Jul 31st, '05, 20:57

It used to be my fav anime (and I have watched ALOT of them) until I saw Gankutsuou recently. It is still the second best anime I have seen!

Too bad they didnt keep going with the series...the ending was too open ended.

DragoonKain3

Post by DragoonKain3 » Jul 31st, '05, 21:15

KareKano has been always one of my favorite shoujo mangas, right up there with Basara, Fruits Basket, Please Save My Earth, and most recently Aishitezure Baby. The anime conversion though, is less than wonderful IMO.

It isn't like the mutilation that Basara and PSME received, it is however more akin to the Fruits Basket anime in that the show started out surprisingly strong but ended disappointingly weak. Yet again I was immersed in the KareKano story, even though I knew full well what was going to happen, and for that I give Gainax a thumbs up.

Then again, Gainax did yet another NGE and screwed up the end of the series horribly, unlike Fruits Basket anime in which the ending was actually decent considering it is based on an ongoing manga.

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Aug 1st, '05, 22:42

Kare Kano is also one of my favorite animes/manga. I normally don't read a lot of shoujo manga, but Kare Kano was surprisingly good and deep. I haven't done watching the anime yet, but so far, the story follows pretty closely to the book. However, like someone else had said, the recaps at the beginning of each episode are not necessary. And also, the animation isn't very smooth, there seem to be a lot of still pictures being displayed with the narration playing in the background. It can be rather annoying.
I have to go and watch more Kare Kano episodes, but for now, I'm just totally obsessed with Honey and Clover.

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » Aug 2nd, '05, 21:17

hmm I've never watched this anime but I've got Yume no nake e in my playlist :lol does it count? :roll

GrACiEL

Post by GrACiEL » Aug 4th, '05, 03:44

Does anyone know where I can dl this anime from?

Yoroshiku

Post by Yoroshiku » Aug 5th, '05, 04:14

GrACiEL wrote:Does anyone know where I can dl this anime from?
the anime is licensed. :O
rent or buy the dvd. trust me, it is worthy. :-)

DareDesuKa
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by DareDesuKa » Aug 5th, '05, 05:00

Most deffinately worth buying. It's in a box set, _not_ like you pay $20 or more per dvd that way.

It's possibly my favorite Shoujo anime of all time. Yukino is both "girly" and strong. She's not your cliche whiney little brat that gets on your nerves. The show is funny, and yet has it's really appropriate and well done serious parts.

There are a few parts, expecially at the end, that could have been better, but the rest more than makes up for that.

I really need to read the manga...

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Aug 5th, '05, 05:10

GrACiEL wrote:Does anyone know where I can dl this anime from?
boxtorrents.com

SoyaYofu

Post by SoyaYofu » Aug 5th, '05, 05:24

I just love that anime/manga... I got the dvdbox, the translated tokyopop manga, and some random japanese volumes. I can´t stop buying them!

Tensai

Post by Tensai » Aug 5th, '05, 05:37

I rented this show on a whim from Netflix and didn't regret it. In fact when they sent me a broken Disk number Two... I just went out and bought the set and all the manga I could find.

Overall, I enjoy the manga better merely for the way more of the story is told... and Gainax always seems to run out of interest halfway through their series. About the only time I haven't been thrilled when a Manga-ka has intervened on behalf of their show was Ranma 1/2 (regardless of how feminine the female Ranma was represented, the show never returned to the glory of those first 18 episodes).

If you like Kare Kano, I would highly recommend tracking down both 'Kimagure Orange Road' and 'Maison Ikkoku'. I consider MI to be the greatest TV series I have ever seen, in any language. Although the first half is a bit dull, by the time all the characters are in place and the main character (Godai) heads off to teach High School.... well the Yagami-arc is one of the most original twists I've ever seen in any show.

Sadly, most of the anime that gets made is Shonen... I much prefer the Shoujo myself. Which is why I'm not surprised that my favorite show at them moment is 'Honey and Clover'.

-Tensai

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Aug 5th, '05, 05:58

I'll give Orange Road a try.

Except for rewatching a few eps of shows here and there, I stopped searching for anime. But I may be in the right mood these days. :)

Tensai

Post by Tensai » Aug 5th, '05, 06:29

I know what you mean, I was out of Japanese TV (anime or otherwise) for the longest time. Got dragged back sometime last year and for a while I thought it would be a brief return to anime only...

Until I got hit with Densha Otoko and Ai no Epuron which has got me back into all Japanese TV again. Now if I could only track down a good music show like the used to have back then... I cry for the days of Wink and Hikaru Genji :lol

-Tensai

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Aug 13th, '05, 01:00

I've seen up to 11 eps of Kigumaro Orange Road. I have to admit, so far I don't like it. I'm unentertained, I don't find the show interesting, enriching, or funny. Does it get better? I'm looking for advice from those who have watched KOR in full. Should I continue? I'm feeling tempted to delete the entire batch of avis I have, right now. Haha.

Kare Kano is great because of its art direction, the way screenplay is loaded with thoughtful details, the way Anno melds anime plot with art and ambience, and the way the music works with the rest of that. I don't get a sense of the same art or smiliar intelligence from Kigumaro Orange Road which plays pretty much like what it is: an anime... :(

Tensai

Post by Tensai » Aug 13th, '05, 01:21

Hmm...

Well, I can say that art direction-wise it's not going to come close to Kare Kano. The early episodes are definitely the slowest-paced ones, the same holds true for Maison Ikkoku. The other thing that might make it seem a bit more bland, is that by this point in time, the stuff covered in this series has been done to death by other series. At the time it aired, it was certainly a change of pace from what had come before, now it's probably going to feel a bit tired.

But I would stick with it, it should start picking up shortly and some of the final episodes are some of the best.

Something more along the lines of 'Kare Kano' would definitely be 'Honey and Clover', which is airing now as I mentioned. It's a serious drama with some not-quite so serious moments (including lots of Chibi-ness). But other than that and the ones I've mentioned, it's been hard to find an anime that I can put in the 'Kare Kano' or 'Maison Ikkoku' category as being a good romantic dramedy.

-Tensai

lulu926

Post by lulu926 » Aug 13th, '05, 01:48

I thought the anime was a great piece of art. Plot aside, the construction of this show was so unique. When you actually consider how much of the show was actually animated, the effect it wrought was outstanding. Most of the show were just series of still frames with different croppings and pannings, yet it was completely the most effective way to bring this story to life, telling a deeply moving story without any melodrama or pretension.

Plus the comedic moments were the best I have seen.

Anyone remember when Arima went to Yukino's house for the first time to lend her the Bach CD? 15 seconds of comedic brilliance.

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Aug 14th, '05, 06:47

Lately, I'm staying away as much as possible from shoujo animes...just the first episode of every shoujo I watch is screaming "WASTE OF TIME"...and I drop them like hot coals, putting those days and gigabytes of dls into waste.

But because of this thread and how everybody kept saying this is their favorite anime...I gave it one more try...and oh my Lord, I am halfway through it, and I never flinched nor sneered, I swear...
There's a very thin line between love and cheesiness as an outer audience of it. But everything about this anime has been carried out just about right...nothing more, nothing less.
Even the endless narration is beckoning you to listen--or read.
A good ending would be an added bonus.

aoi_hana

Post by aoi_hana » Aug 14th, '05, 06:52

Yeah it's a really good anime. I love the fact that it was really artsy at some points... with the streetlights and stuff. The ending was TERRIBLE though. I didn't even know that the last ep was the last. Well at least the manga is still going on. :)

otaprince

Post by otaprince » Aug 14th, '05, 07:18

Gainax ran out of money and ran afoul of the mangaka halfway through, but it's a great anime, even with what we ended up with.

Interestingly enough, Anno Hideaki (creator/director of Evangelion and director of Kare Kano) spent months researching high school life and planned on writing an original ending for the series. He visited a bunch of schools and interviewed many students to try to get inside the head of high school-aged kids-- These interviews are available in English here: http://www.gainax.co.jp/special/kiiteyo/index-e.html

If anyone's that interested, I have TONS of info on Kare Kano on my site, Gainax Pages.

JewpinTheThird

Post by JewpinTheThird » Aug 14th, '05, 22:34

My only gripe with the series was not how abruptly it ended, but the fact that the last few episodes were dedicated to the preperation of the school festival, and we never got to see the end result.

I personally liked the ending. You can assume that the story of Arima and Yuki's relationship is over (not that the actual relationship itself is over, just their story) and a new relationship between two new characters is about to be started. At least that's what I got from it.

But I did enjoy the series very much. Remains to this day one of my favorite shows.

nezumi

Post by nezumi » Aug 14th, '05, 23:02

Kareshi Kanojyo no Jijyo will always hav a spot in my heart. the sharps pains i got from endless streaks of laughter i had over yukino's schitzophrenic behaviour was only a highlight of my pure enjoyment of the show

with the exception of the ending where it was wrapped up too vaguely w/ too many flashbacks gav me the feeling that they had run outa funds which was an utter shame since it started of as such a fabulous show. altho it did just make me wana buy all the manga just to get the full story.

its stil one of my numerous favs tho, after watching this show i didnt feel like a total ass making a fool outa myself on an everyday basis. you just gota be urself ^^

Milai Sapphire

Post by Milai Sapphire » Aug 16th, '05, 20:40

I love Kare Kano (was thinking about buying the boxed set for that series since I thought it wasn't bad...except for, as everyone said, the recap episodes). Just watched it in this past year actually...and loved it to death. But I'm starting to think I should read the manga too...hmm.

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Sep 29th, '05, 14:56

His and Her Circumstances is such a good show! I bought the DVD box a year ago. I was amazed of the interesting and smart dialogues. The anime doesn't seem that way. Also, I like the way how the story unfolds although the ending was rather artificial. As for the abrupt ending; luckily we have the manga version. I love the show! I do... ^_^

kinki

Post by kinki » Sep 29th, '05, 15:00

its one of my favorite anime. i watched it in 2000. this anime is for smart people i believe! hehe

ztory666

Post by ztory666 » Sep 29th, '05, 21:26

it could be my favorite anime

but the end make me feel angry when I retry to watch again.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Sep 29th, '05, 21:41

kare kano....................Yukino Miyazawa has got to be one of my most favorite manga/anime characters. she's brilliant, young, innocent, vain, humane, and learns there's more to life than being number 1. it's such an amazing feeling to watch her blossom and trying to get pass Soichiro Arima's facade.

however, i must say the ending was disappointing in the sense that it was too abrupt. :glare:

azn-angelz-demons

Post by azn-angelz-demons » Sep 27th, '06, 11:00

loved this anime/manga
one of fav :P
Last edited by azn-angelz-demons on Oct 9th, '06, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Sep 30th, '06, 06:42

I have the manga of Kare Kano v1-19 on my site. It is free downloads plus more mangas too!!

And yes, I think they could have continued the anime more. The first 10 episodes made me ROFL, LOL everytime I rewatch it. But the last few episodes kept repeating and just ended so stupidly. I'm glad I found the mangas to continue the story.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Aug 14th, '08, 22:40

Haha no one has replied to this post like for 2 years. Well here's hoping that they would make a live action of this. And the mangaka for this also has a new manga out called Eensy Weensy Monster. The story is kind of similar to Kare Kano where both the guy and girl hate each other's guts for first impressions. But I think later on, they will fall for each other. I'll be uploading the manga on my site once volume 1 is complete.

ChiisaiKouma

Post by ChiisaiKouma » Aug 21st, '08, 15:27

Thanks for the update! I love Kare Kano, and I might be interested in following Eensy Weensy Monster :)

GarageBandNinja

Post by GarageBandNinja » Sep 14th, '08, 10:43

Am I the only one thinking Kare Kano would make a really great and successful Live action Drama?

ChiisaiKouma

Post by ChiisaiKouma » Sep 14th, '08, 18:35

You're not the only one! I would love to see that!

GarageBandNinja

Post by GarageBandNinja » Sep 14th, '08, 19:21

anyone wanna do any potential casting just for fun? hahah :)