Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Sekai no Chuushinde Ai wo Sakebu NOVEL

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
kyosak

Sekai no Chuushinde Ai wo Sakebu NOVEL

Post by kyosak » Jul 6th, '05, 00:19

I've read that the drama series and the movie is based on the Sekachu novel, and I've been dying to read it. The problem? I'm just a Japanese 5-6 student and I can't read novels in a language I'm not fluent in... I've checked yesasia.com and I found that there is a Chinese version of the novel out, but no English version. If the novel sold 3 million copies, shouldn't it deserve a release here in American too? :D Any news about a possible English version of the novel would be great. Thank you~!

topnotch97

Post by topnotch97 » Jul 6th, '05, 00:39

they might. remember Battle Royale? now they have an english version. so i think we can expect a translation soon. let's just wait for now.

gnohz

Post by gnohz » Jul 6th, '05, 01:03

What do you mean by Japanese 5-6? :blink
I'm now trying to read the novel...little by little...it's still alright :D

kyosak

Post by kyosak » Jul 6th, '05, 01:27

Yes, I loved Battle Royale. I fell in love with the movie and I found that my school's library had the book, haha. The novel was A LOT better than the movie and I am expecting the same from Sekachu.

As for Japanese 5-6, that's just the level of class I am taking right now in my high school. Japanese 1-2 is the first year class, 3-4 is second year, etc.

rainidy
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rainidy » Jul 6th, '05, 01:31

I read the chinese version and I thought it was kind of slow, but maybe it's just me. I didn't watch the drama yet, so I'll probably like the drama better. But I read somewhere that someone is planning to release the English version of this book. :-)

darji

Post by darji » Jul 6th, '05, 01:32

We get a german translation from Sekachu in the next year and the Manga comes out this October^^
:w00t: :w00t:

kyosak

Post by kyosak » Jul 6th, '05, 04:49

rainidy wrote:I read the chinese version and I thought it was kind of slow, but maybe it's just me. I didn't watch the drama yet, so I'll probably like the drama better. But I read somewhere that someone is planning to release the English version of this book. :-)
YES! I hope it happens soon if this is true! I dying to read this book! :w00t: Mean while, I still have the last episode of the drama to look forward to! The SARS Team = My heros~!

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jul 6th, '05, 06:48

Well, this is actually a surprisingly short book (well, I was surprised), so I don't think it has much of a chance being translated and sold as an individual novel. Maybe it would have a chance if it's bundled with another popular story. That being said, I also think it's a comparatively easy book to pick up if you're learning Japanese (just what is 5-6?). It's not too verbose and is written in a first person voice so it's a lot of thoughts and feelings and not so much explanation of scenery or plot devices. Plus, it should help that you kind of know a bit about the story (although there's enough difference from both the movie and drama to keep things interesting). Yeah, you'll probably need a kanji dictionary, but overall doable.

kyosak

Post by kyosak » Jul 6th, '05, 07:01

mizune wrote:Well, this is actually a surprisingly short book (well, I was surprised), so I don't think it has much of a chance being translated and sold as an individual novel. Maybe it would have a chance if it's bundled with another popular story. That being said, I also think it's a comparatively easy book to pick up if you're learning Japanese (just what is 5-6?). It's not too verbose and is written in a first person voice so it's a lot of thoughts and feelings and not so much explanation of scenery or plot devices. Plus, it should help that you kind of know a bit about the story (although there's enough difference from both the movie and drama to keep things interesting). Yeah, you'll probably need a kanji dictionary, but overall doable.
I'm loving your idea right now! Although I've only studied Japanese for around 2 years, I think it's worth a try, and seems very doable if I put an effort into it~! :D It could possibly improve my skills in the language, and finishing a book in Japanese in my current state seems like a huge accomplishment. The only problem I see happening is finding the meanings of the kanji characters. I have a dictionary, but if there is no furigana, how in the world would I look words up? I guess I love the drama enough to give it a shot! Just make sure you give me a cookie if I succeed! :D My teacher would love me for this, haha!

About the "5-6" thing, I guess you could call it the semesters of a class. Where I live, all the classes have a certain number, telling you the level of the class. For example, my first year Japanese class was "Japanese 1-2" meaning they were the first two semesters of Japanese. It's the same for all my other classes: Algebra 1-2, Geometry, Algebra 3-4, Pre-calculus, blah blah blah.

P.S. Is the story from the novel and drama identical, or do you think there are enough differences to make it more interesting? I remember reading Battle Royale after watching the movie and having so much fun with it, especially the crazy ending that was totally different from the movie. No spoilers please~! I still don't even know how the drama ends! :D
Last edited by kyosak on Jul 6th, '05, 07:16, edited 3 times in total.

topnotch97

Post by topnotch97 » Jul 6th, '05, 07:06

wait. there's a manga about Sekachu?!!?!

darji

Post by darji » Jul 6th, '05, 09:41

wait. there's a manga about Sekachu?!!?!
Yes there is. Cry out for Love" by Kazumi Kazui
thats the only picture i could find so far^^

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jul 7th, '05, 01:25

kyosak wrote:The only problem I see happening is finding the meanings of the kanji characters. I have a dictionary, but if there is no furigana, how in the world would I look words up? I guess I love the drama enough to give it a shot! Just make sure you give me a cookie if I succeed! :D My teacher would love me for this, haha!
Ah...you need to have a basic understanding of how Chinese characters are organized to look up unknown kanji. Any semi-decent kanji dictionary should have a basic intro/demo about how this work. Traditionally, it involves the number of strokes needed to write the character, what family/radical it belongs to, etc.... There are newer systems for speeding up kanji look ups (esp with electronic dictionaries and pocketPCs), but once again, they are usually explanations on how to use them when you get them.

The key is you need to find a kanji dictionary.
P.S. Is the story from the novel and drama identical, or do you think there are enough differences to make it more interesting? I remember reading Battle Royale after watching the movie and having so much fun with it, especially the crazy ending that was totally different from the movie. No spoilers please~! I still don't even know how the drama ends! :D
The movie, TV drama, and book are all almost completely different. The only things that all three have in common are the basic premise of Saku and Aki, some of the events in their relationship, Australia, and (oddly enough) Ryunosuke.

EDIT: yikes, lots of typos!
Last edited by mizune on Jul 7th, '05, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Jul 7th, '05, 01:50

I have read the manga, and it is doinky. They should NOT have gotten Kazui Kazumi to do the artwork...because she draws so bad that the characters look like cavemen, and yes I know it's a josei manga but I've read other josei manga that did not have artwork that bad. And for no apparent reason they added a gratuitous shot of Aki's naked butt. :blink

I hear it's closest to the novel, so doinkies really hopes the novel is not as bad as the manga adaptation of it was.

kyosak

Post by kyosak » Jul 7th, '05, 06:30

mizune wrote:
kyosak wrote:The only problem I see happening is finding the meanings of the kanji characters. I have a dictionary, but if there is no furigana, how in the world would I look words up? I guess I love the drama enough to give it a shot! Just make sure you give me a cookie if I succeed! :D My teacher would love me for this, haha!
Ah...you need to have a basic understanding of how Chinese characters are organized to look up unknown kanji. Any semi-decent kanji dictionary should have a basic intro/demo about how this work. Traditionally, it involves the number of strokes needed to write the character, what family/radical it belongs to, etc.... There are newer systems for speeding up kanji look ups (esp with electronic dictionaries and pocketPCs), but once again, they are usually explanations on how to use them when you get them.

The key is you need to find a kanji dictionary.
The movie, TV drama, and book are all almost completely different. The only things that all three have in common are the basic premise of Saku and Aki, some of the events in their relationship, Australia, and (oddly enough) Ryunosuke.

EDIT: yikes, lots of typos!
Oh, I see! It looks like I'll probably be investing on a kanji dictionary as well. After looking through the Japanese-English dictionary I have at home, it was nothing but a regular dictionary with all the words in the a, ka, sa, .... order. T_T

But hearing that the book, drama, and movie of Sekachu are so different from each other makes me want to read it more! :D I'm going to have to make room in my already long summer reading list for school for this one! Thank you for all the info.~!

gnohz

Post by gnohz » Jul 7th, '05, 13:53

Actually...I think the novel isn't so much of a big deal. People will get disappointed if they think they'll find a very good story and plot in the novel, because I find the novel more of a descriptive kind. Very descriptive I would say.

But I'd say it's good for reading and learning purposes since you learn a lot of descriptive words and phrases. Some kanji in the novel can't even be found on normal dictionaries lol
I myself have been learning Japanese for less than 2 years so I think you'll be able to do better. And since I'm reading for learning and improving purposes, I quite enjoy it lol

Maybe other novels you could try would be 今、会いにゆきます

kyosak

Post by kyosak » Jul 7th, '05, 17:53

gnohz wrote:Actually...I think the novel isn't so much of a big deal. People will get disappointed if they think they'll find a very good story and plot in the novel, because I find the novel more of a descriptive kind. Very descriptive I would say.

But I'd say it's good for reading and learning purposes since you learn a lot of descriptive words and phrases. Some kanji in the novel can't even be found on normal dictionaries lol
I myself have been learning Japanese for less than 2 years so I think you'll be able to do better. And since I'm reading for learning and improving purposes, I quite enjoy it lol

Maybe other novels you could try would be 今、会いにゆきます
I'm actually interested in reading any Japanese novels in the romance/tragedy/drama genre. It's good to hear from someone around my skill level whos already reading Sekachu. I really doubted I would even attempt this until now. :D Any good recommendations for some tear jerking romance novels from Japan?

kyosak

Post by kyosak » Jul 8th, '05, 05:10

OK, I already own the Kodansha's Japanese Dictionary, and I decided to look in Kodansha's site for a kanji dictionary as well. I am VERY weak in kanji and I've been looking for a fast way to look up kanji without knowing the furigana. I've found that there are two kanji dictionarys from Kodansha and I'm having a hard time choosing one. The two dictionaries are:

http://www.kodansha-intl.com/books/html ... 28911.html

and

http://www.kodansha-intl.com/books/html ... 28555.html

The first one looks as if it is more of a professional kanji dictionary, where as the second one looks as if it is more of a English user friendly "watered down" type of thing. I'm kind of leaning towards the professional side, but I'm not sure it has the fast kanji searching ablities as stated in the features of the second dictionary... My main goal is to find a dictionary that will allow me to look up kanji without knowing anything about it such as the furigana, and will making my Sekachu, or any other Japanese novel reading as comfortable as possible for my English speaking self. :D Which one should I get?

P.S. Can you guys give me some suggestions for cheap electronic kanji dictionaries with the ability to search kanji by radicals, stroke number, etc.? Electronic dictionaries were actually my first priority since they seem to be easier to use in terms of searching for kanji and faster, but they are SO EXPENSIVE! Are there Japanese dictionaries out there that have the complete Japanese/English and English/Japanese definitions, and Kanji searching with radicals/stroke numbers that don't have a crazy price tag?

Also, what do you guys recommend that I use, an electronic or text dictionary? I just have so many questions! LOL!

gnohz

Post by gnohz » Jul 8th, '05, 23:59

Actually what I use is a kanji dictionary and and online dictionary at the same time :p
But most of the time, what I do is when I come across some word or phrase I don't understand, I'll note it down. When I'm free or something, I then go look it up using the online dictionary because I find it faster than using a book hehe
Besides this, I'm lucky that I know the Chinese reading of the kanji too, because the online dictionary I'm using allows me to search the kanji using the Chinese reading so I guess that speeds up things a lot. I can imagine how much of a hussle it is to look up kanji using just the radicals or stroke number....^^;

kyosak

Post by kyosak » Jul 9th, '05, 00:54

gnohz wrote:Actually what I use is a kanji dictionary and and online dictionary at the same time :p
But most of the time, what I do is when I come across some word or phrase I don't understand, I'll note it down. When I'm free or something, I then go look it up using the online dictionary because I find it faster than using a book hehe
Besides this, I'm lucky that I know the Chinese reading of the kanji too, because the online dictionary I'm using allows me to search the kanji using the Chinese reading so I guess that speeds up things a lot. I can imagine how much of a hussle it is to look up kanji using just the radicals or stroke number....^^;
Yeah, I was thinking it'll be a hassle once I start reading, but I guess I'll try my best. :P Oh, and BTW could you link me to that online dictionary you use? Thanks.

gnohz

Post by gnohz » Jul 10th, '05, 00:47

tUrtleAE86

Post by tUrtleAE86 » Jul 10th, '05, 02:05

I bought the 2nd one, actually.
http://www.kodansha-intl.com/books/html ... 28555.html

It's very thorough, and I like the extensive examples and how it really shows pretty well all the ways to use each kanji. It is a bit cumbersome to look up kanji, though. So, I find it's mostly useful for studying purposes. But, there are a few ways you can look up the kanji, which is convenient.

Another good thing about the book is the fact that it shows how to write each character in terms of stroke order. So, you should be well on your way to learning how to write any character you want.

That said, when chatting with my friends on msn and the like, I use JDICT most of the time because it's so fast. Looking up kanji in a book is a bit too slow for that, unfortunately. :-(

Anyways, I thought it was a worthwhile purchase, since my goal is to take JLPT 2 eventually, which requires about 1000 kanji. I purchased it with the Kodansha Furigana Dictionary, which is very good:
http://www.kodansha-intl.com/books/html ... 24800.html

kyosak

Post by kyosak » Jul 10th, '05, 02:15

Thank you~! This site looks GREAT, but I've been wondering, if I were to read infront of my computer :D would something like this be as thorough enough as a text type of dictionary to assist in my reading instead of the need to purchase a text dictionary?

Oh, and a question to tUrtleAE86, what is JDICT? I'm just completely noob with this stuff. :p

VietZeus

Post by VietZeus » Jul 10th, '05, 03:28

The biggest different between reading a book and watching a movie is: you can't imagine the characters' faces. Even if the author is discriptive, you can't remember that imaginary faces forever.

Watching a movie/drama is a pleasure of wathcing pretty girls who can act. They will deliver the author's points right into your face without you reading a word.

I get mesmerize all the time by pretty girls in sad and happiness. "Oh I understand what's she's saying!"

When pretty actresses cry I want to cry with them.

When they laugh I want to inhert the joy.

Ayashe is a goddess.

tUrtleAE86

Post by tUrtleAE86 » Jul 10th, '05, 03:50

kyosak wrote: Oh, and a question to tUrtleAE86, what is JDICT? I'm just completely noob with this stuff. :p
Oh, it's actually at http://www.jdorama.com :-)

Just go to their site, and on the top right hand corner enter what you're searching for, and change the dropdown menu from "Drama" to "JDict" and hit the search button.

By default, it accepts "English/Romaji", but you can change that to "Japanese SJIS" for Japanese text.

kyosak

Post by kyosak » Jul 10th, '05, 04:42

tUrtleAE86 wrote:
kyosak wrote: Oh, and a question to tUrtleAE86, what is JDICT? I'm just completely noob with this stuff. :p
Oh, it's actually at http://www.jdorama.com :-)

Just go to their site, and on the top right hand corner enter what you're searching for, and change the dropdown menu from "Drama" to "JDict" and hit the search button.

By default, it accepts "English/Romaji", but you can change that to "Japanese SJIS" for Japanese text.
Ohhh I see, another useful online dictionary! Thank you.

hatanaka

English version

Post by hatanaka » Aug 23rd, '05, 18:20

Amazon.com is taking pre-orders for the English version. It is called "Socrates in Love" and will be ready in October. :D

Quen

Post by Quen » Sep 10th, '05, 00:38

Woa...that was a bit faster than expected. They are actually translating the manga too...

I was able to read the Japanese version, but I'm very happy to hear that there is going to be an English version, though the cover art seems too random to me.

Just why did they choose "Socrates in Love" ?

doink-chan
United States of America

Post by doink-chan » Sep 10th, '05, 03:43

They chose the title Socrates in Love because that's the title that Katayama Kyouichi was going to call it. It was actually the editor at the original publisher who came up with the title "Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai o Sakebu". So basically Viz is honoring the wishes of the original author by calling it what he wanted it to be called.

Also, the cover kind of reminds doinkies of the blue and purple hydrangeas that were in the second episode of the J-drama. Maybe that's what the cover designer was aiming for.

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Sep 11th, '05, 21:18

There is an english translation of the book coming out from Viz in the fall. They will be releasing the movie, the manga, and the book in english. They had a press release about a month ago.

=) good news huh!!

20centuryboy

Re: Sekai no Chuushinde Ai wo Sakebu NOVEL

Post by 20centuryboy » Sep 11th, '05, 23:35

kyosak wrote:I've read that the drama series and the movie is based on the Sekachu novel, and I've been dying to read it.
I guess you found the right words ! :|

Nikko

Post by Nikko » Jan 25th, '06, 04:22

Has anyone read the book yet?
I got my friend to pick it up in Toronto the first day it came out. I thought it was sweet and touching just like the movie and dorama <3
I read the manga in Japan, and also disliked the art and quality of the adaptation... You just couldn't seem to identify with the characters that way.

As a curiosity did anyone who planned on reading the japanese version with a kanji dictionary have any luck? I thought that would be impossible with a level 5-6 education, so I didn't buy it. I have a book where the dorama 'denchi ga kireru made' came from that includes furigana for the kanji-illiterate like me ^^ Its very sweet also :)

Kssk

Post by Kssk » Jan 25th, '06, 09:48

As a curiosity did anyone who planned on reading the japanese version with a kanji dictionary have any luck?
I've read the two novels (original one and novelized version of the movie) in japanese. Not so hard to read and nothing really special about kanji, so didn't need a dictionnary except to check one or two things. It depends only on your ability to learn the 1945 basics kanij XD (yeah, easier said than done but a good novel to begin).

Kssk

Post by Kssk » Jan 25th, '06, 09:49

As a curiosity did anyone who planned on reading the japanese version with a kanji dictionary have any luck?
I've read the two novels (original one and novelized version of the movie) in japanese. Not so hard to read and nothing really special about kanji, so didn't need a dictionnary except to check one or two things. It depends only on your ability to learn the 1945 basics kanij XD (yeah, easier said than done but a good novel to begin).