The disappearance of Fukuda Saki and some ranting about Japanese agencies

Talk about the culture and entertainment from Nihon.
octavia

The disappearance of Fukuda Saki and some ranting about Japanese agencies

Post by octavia » Mar 25th, '20, 07:28

I'm sure a lot of ppl remember how big Fukuda Saki was once, right? She had main roles in famous drama series and movies; however nowadays she rarely appears in popular dramas. This girl can act, dance and sing! She has what it takes to be a good actress but her agency decided to destroy her once promising career just because she was rumoured to be rude towards staff. I really don't even know if it's true. Even if it is, her punishment has been one of the longest and harshest of all Japanese actors. They could have made her apologise and reflect on her actions and she could have easily returned to having main roles after some time. It is a pity how unjustly she was treated after all the hard work she put into her career. I really hope she makes a huge comeback soon. She deserves it! A lot of idols get away with more scandalous stuff so it's high time for her to come back and reclaim her place!

I want to conclude my ranting from a Hollywood Reporter article ''There are only a handful of Japanese actors working today who have carved out international careers for themselves. Fluency with language remains an issue, along with limited training and overly powerful talent agencies more focused on filling their rosters with girl and boy band members than actors. But here are four Japanese players who just might have what it takes to succeed on the world stage.'' (article about Junko Abe, Go Jibiki, Mugi Kadowaki, Nijiro Murakami)

Japan should focus on talent instead of pretty face and pure image in my humble opinion.

faarian

Re: The disappearance of Fukuda Saki and some ranting about Japanese agencies

Post by faarian » Mar 25th, '20, 10:55

octavia wrote: Mar 25th, '20, 07:28 I'm sure a lot of ppl remember how big Fukuda Saki was once, right? She had main roles in famous drama series and movies; however nowadays she rarely appears in popular dramas. This girl can act, dance and sing! She has what it takes to be a good actress but her agency decided to destroy her once promising career just because she was rumoured to be rude towards staff. I really don't even know if it's true. Even if it is, her punishment has been one of the longest and harshest of all Japanese actors. They could have made her apologise and reflect on her actions and she could have easily returned to having main roles after some time. It is a pity how unjustly she was treated after all the hard work she put into her career. I really hope she makes a huge comeback soon. She deserves it! A lot of idols get away with more scandalous stuff so it's high time for her to come back and reclaim her place!

I want to conclude my ranting from a Hollywood Reporter article ''There are only a handful of Japanese actors working today who have carved out international careers for themselves. Fluency with language remains an issue, along with limited training and overly powerful talent agencies more focused on filling their rosters with girl and boy band members than actors. But here are four Japanese players who just might have what it takes to succeed on the world stage.'' (article about Junko Abe, Go Jibiki, Mugi Kadowaki, Nijiro Murakami)

Japan should focus on talent instead of pretty face and pure image in my humble opinion.
I remember her well (I recently watch IS) and i like her acting, but I don't think that was the reason she is not active. I mean, an agency doesn't deprive itself from making money just to punish an actor. Maybe she is less interested in acting these days?
By the way, I follow Saki on Instagram, maybe you can ask her about all this directly?

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Mar 25th, '20, 16:18

Isn't there also a possibility to changing agency when the contract expires.

Some recent roles
恋と就活のダンパ(2019年4月27日、NHK BSプレミアム)- 菅遥 役
水戸黄門 第1話(2019年5月19日 、BS-TBS)- 里美 役

Could also be that she's busy with other things than acting.

Similar case with Kawashima Umika, I'd like to see her in more dramas, but she hasn't been in that many lately.

octavia

Post by octavia » Mar 25th, '20, 17:07

faarian wrote: Mar 25th, '20, 10:55
octavia wrote: Mar 25th, '20, 07:28 I'm sure a lot of ppl remember how big Fukuda Saki was once, right? She had main roles in famous drama series and movies; however nowadays she rarely appears in popular dramas. This girl can act, dance and sing! She has what it takes to be a good actress but her agency decided to destroy her once promising career just because she was rumoured to be rude towards staff. I really don't even know if it's true. Even if it is, her punishment has been one of the longest and harshest of all Japanese actors. They could have made her apologise and reflect on her actions and she could have easily returned to having main roles after some time. It is a pity how unjustly she was treated after all the hard work she put into her career. I really hope she makes a huge comeback soon. She deserves it! A lot of idols get away with more scandalous stuff so it's high time for her to come back and reclaim her place!

I remember her well (I recently watch IS) and i like her acting, but I don't think that was the reason she is not active. I mean, an agency doesn't deprive itself from making money just to punish an actor. Maybe she is less interested in acting these days?
By the way, I follow Saki on Instagram, maybe you can ask her about all this directly?
Actually she's still acting but she gets supporting roles and she is not as popular as before. :-( Agency is everything in Japan. If you work with the right powerful agency and if you keep a pure image and follow every order your bosses give, you can be a superstar in Japan. I believe somewhere along the road they blocked Saki's career. I hope she gets big roles in the future.

octavia

Post by octavia » Mar 25th, '20, 17:19

Keiko1981 wrote: Mar 25th, '20, 16:18 Isn't there also a possibility to changing agency when the contract expires.

Some recent roles
恋と就活のダンパ(2019年4月27日、NHK BSプレミアム)- 菅遥 役
水戸黄門 第1話(2019年5月19日 、BS-TBS)- 里美 役

Could also be that she's busy with other things than acting.

Similar case with Kawashima Umika, I'd like to see her in more dramas, but she hasn't been in that many lately.
I read that Saki was rude towards staff so the agency punished her and promoted other talents instead of her. It is really heartless of them if it is true. She was so popular. She doesn't have many followers on Instagram, either. Other actresses in her agency has become more successful and popular than her. Her agency failed her. :-( I hope she gets a main role in a popular drama soon. Just because she made a mistake when she was young , they ostracized her.

faarian

Post by faarian » Mar 25th, '20, 18:16

I don't know what happened but if the agency prioritizes its staff's respect over other things, it deserves more applaud than criticism. The fact that you're popular or rich shouldn't be a reason that you get away with your rudeness.
But, we (at least I) need more information to judge: What exactly happened? How did the agency react? How did Saki react?