Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Steal My Heart (R3) from SBS

Discuss about all aspect of KDramas on DVD and other commerical medium.
Sakari

Steal My Heart (R3) from SBS

Post by Sakari » May 18th, '07, 17:23

EDIT 2007-10-30: As of recently, an advertisement seems to appear as part of every message that is first on its page. As I do not like this, and as this was such a post, I deleted the contents (I don't know how to delete the post itself.)
Last edited by Sakari on Oct 30th, '07, 06:03, edited 2 times in total.

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » May 21st, '07, 22:47

What exactly does no complaints mean. You may be a little confused as to the purpose of the review. It's not of the show its of the box set. Were there errors in the subtitles? If so how many. Are you picky about that kind of thing. I sure as hell am. Were the songs subtitled? In other words tell me more.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » May 22nd, '07, 05:46

sabriyahm wrote:What exactly does no complaints mean. You may be a little confused as to the purpose of the review. It's not of the show its of the box set. Were there errors in the subtitles? If so how many. Are you picky about that kind of thing. I sure as hell am. Were the songs subtitled? In other words tell me more.

The problem with subtitles is that there is no common standard. You might complain about something that I wouldn't. But to give an idea of my standards, I find the subtitles of the Malaysian version of Dae Jang Geum to be very bad. According to this - my personal - standard, I find nothing to complain about the subtitles of the version of Steal My Heart considered here.

As to subtitles of songs, I, in fact, don't remember any songs with lyrics. Wait - this is another personal standard. I don't really care whether songs are subtitled.

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » May 22nd, '07, 13:17

Sakari wrote: The problem with subtitles is that there is no common standard. You might complain about something that I wouldn't. But to give an idea of my standards, I find the subtitles of the Malaysian version of Dae Jang Geum to be very bad. According to this - my personal - standard, I find nothing to complain about the subtitles of the version of Steal My Heart considered here.

As to subtitles of songs, I, in fact, don't remember any songs with lyrics. Wait - this is another personal standard. I don't really care whether songs are subtitled.
Whether or not something's subtitles has correct english spelling, punctuation and grammar is not a personal standard. Everything is not subjective. You might not care about it but in order for your review to be helpful to anyone but you this info is kind of important and this is what I want to know. It doesn't really help me to compare it to another show because I have not seen that. FYI this applies to your other review as well but it's not on my list of shows to see so I didnt comment.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 22nd, '07, 15:13

@Sakari - Please keep in mind that the purpose of these reviews is to help other people to spend their money wisely. The most important factors in the review are the video quality and format (4:3, 16:9 Anamorphic, letterboxed), and SUBTITLE quality. As sabriyahm stated, spelling, punctuation, and grammar are not subjective criteria. Please try to update your reviews with some objective description of the video and subtitle quality. Other fans of the shows you love will really apprecate it!!

Sakari

Post by Sakari » May 23rd, '07, 05:23

I edited my two reviews (Steal My Heart and Did We Really Love) such that I deleted the comments on the dramas (and my personal reasons to buy the boxsets). I also replaced the "no complaints" ratings with "good".

I'm afraid I'm just an amateur on audio and video. So I really cannot give an expert, technical and detailed opinion on these matters.

I do maintain that subtitle quality cannot be judged objectively. An example is the often heard "ajeosshi". How should it be subtitled? Do note that if subtitle quality is objective, then there can only be one answer - the correct one.

To judge English spelling, punctuation and grammar objectively, a professional linguist is probably needed - which I'm not. (I'm not even a native speaker of English.)

Note to moderators - feel free to delete my reviews if you feel they are not useful. I won't complain.

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » May 23rd, '07, 08:20

Sakari wrote:I edited my two reviews (Steal My Heart and Did We Really Love) such that I deleted the comments on the dramas (and my personal reasons to buy the boxsets). I also replaced the "no complaints" ratings with "good".

I'm afraid I'm just an amateur on audio and video. So I really cannot give an expert, technical and detailed opinion on these matters.

I do maintain that subtitle quality cannot be judged objectively. An example is the often heard "ajeosshi". How should it be subtitled? Do note that if subtitle quality is objective, then there can only be one answer - the correct one.

To judge English spelling, punctuation and grammar objectively, a professional linguist is probably needed - which I'm not. (I'm not even a native speaker of English.)

Note to moderators - feel free to delete my reviews if you feel they are not useful. I won't complain.
I am so confused :-( I am not asking you about accuracy of the translation. That IS subjective. All I want to know is if the subtitles have correct English spelling grammar and punctuation. Surely you can tell me that without being a linguist.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 23rd, '07, 15:28

@Sakari - deleting posts is not productive, it's just a special hostile outlet that mods can make use of when dealing with people that piss them off ;^) What we all really want is helpful reviews. If you're not a native English speaker (your written English is flawless) just say so in the subtitle evaluation section of your review.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » May 24th, '07, 10:29

sabriyahm wrote: All I want to know is if the subtitles have correct English spelling grammar and punctuation. Surely you can tell me that without being a linguist.
They have (if they hadn't, I wouldn't say they are "good"). However, please bear in mind that this is only my subjective opinion (after one viewing). I have not worked through the drama episode for episode, subtitle for subtitle, checking for errors. That, at least, would be needed if objectivity is required.

Earlier, I mentioned the subtitles of the Malaysian version of Dae Jang Geum as an example of what I rate as "very bad". You don't have to watch that version to get an idea of what this means, because a collection of those subtitles is available here, at http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_13524.htm

Sakari

Post by Sakari » May 25th, '07, 07:23

pokute wrote:What we all really want is helpful reviews.
But what is helpful? My stand on the subjectivity/objectivity issue is that I try my best to be objective . Still, I don't think I can ever be totally, completely, so. Is a review written in such a spirit helpful? Or should reviews only be posted by people who do achieve the ideal of complete objectivity?

(I would really like to clear this up before posting any more reviews. I can delete my two existing ones if they are not deemed helpful. Let's not waste bandwidth, as the saying goes.)