Goong (Palace or Princess Hours) from YA Entertainment

Discuss about all aspect of KDramas on DVD and other commerical medium.
sabriyahm

Goong (Palace or Princess Hours) from YA Entertainment

Post by sabriyahm » Feb 1st, '07, 23:06

I'll be brief

I originally viewed my copy from Netflix
http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?mov ... rkid=90529
I then bought my copy at Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... id=1604324
It can also be purchased from YesAsia
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/p ... on-videos/

[img]http://image.allmusic.com/13/adg/cov200 ... 9q9kit.jpg[/img]

This is a 9 DVD box set with 3 episodes per disc. The last disc is just Extras. It comes with English subtitles only and Korean audio only. These are Region 1 discs

Subtitles = They are complete, grammatically correct with no noticable errors or ommissions.

Video Display = The picture is widescreen, but it is encoded as 4:3 with black bars above and below.

Video Quality = The picture quality was excellent.

Audio = Audio quality was excellent and consistant.

Extras = Includes an entire disc of Extras subtitled including the Specials.

Misc. = For whatever reason I am able to play these discs only when using Windows Media Center or Power DVD. Windows Media Player and Real Player were all unable to read the disc. {Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a problem occurred with digital copyright protection} was the error message.For info I have Windows XP Media Center OS with 2gb ram and 3.2 dual core processor. I also have almost every way to play a video on my computer.

Overall this is a high quality release. I was annoyed at the discs difficulty in playing in my computer. Also the aspect ratio may annoy those with widescreen TV's. However the great extras and professional subtitles more then make up for it to me. GRADE A-

EDIT; This review is for the North American release Release Date: 11/21/2006 only. Purchase other versions at your own risk. I have and they were sub par to say the least.

Here are some pics to help in purchasing. I think it is ok to display these.
Attachments
Avoid like the plague
Avoid like the plague
Bad Goong Version.gif (17.19 KiB) Viewed 47714 times
Last edited by sabriyahm on Jun 24th, '07, 04:36, edited 5 times in total.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 1st, '07, 23:18

That's interesting that a dvd that you paid for would tell you that you weren't allowed to watch it on your computer. Could you edit the review to specify the operating system and software you use to view dvd's (since it is the OS or software that is blocking you)?
Last edited by pokute on Feb 1st, '07, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

jefray

Post by jefray » Feb 1st, '07, 23:18

Thx for the info :)

I don't know which software you use to watch the dvd (windows media player will most of the time says copyright problem, but PowerDVD should resolve it :D

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Feb 1st, '07, 23:32

Hm...I wonder if you tried both copies of Goong on your computer.

It tempts me to order it from Netflix and try...

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Feb 1st, '07, 23:34

pokute wrote:That's interesting that a dvd that you paid for would tell you that you weren't allowed to watch it on your computer. Could you edit the review to specify the operating system and software you use to view dvd's (since it is the OS or software that is blocking you)?
I re tested it on programs I dont normally use and it worked. I edited the review accordingly. Also could you double check my Wiki link. I think I might have messed it up because it seems numbered incorrectly.

cutekid

Post by cutekid » Feb 1st, '07, 23:38

quite interesting review. i don't know why the disc can't play in your PC. maybe because of the media player. try using power DVD.

PopGilligan

Post by PopGilligan » Feb 1st, '07, 23:43

After looking quickly on Netflix, I'm a little disappointed that the only drama I could find was Goong : \

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 1st, '07, 23:44

sabriyahm wrote:
pokute wrote:That's interesting that a dvd that you paid for would tell you that you weren't allowed to watch it on your computer. Could you edit the review to specify the operating system and software you use to view dvd's (since it is the OS or software that is blocking you)?
I re tested it on programs I dont normally use and it worked. I edited the review accordingly. Also could you double check my Wiki link. I think I might have messed it up because it seems numbered incorrectly.
The wiki link works fine. The number is the post number, not the thread. If the links were to threads, then threads could not be renamed, and posts could not be moved to other threads by mods (I am guessing about how the forum works - anyone who knows better should feel free to correct me).

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 1st, '07, 23:47

@sabriyahm - I hate to put you on the spot, but since you're the "guinea pig", is there any chance you could add an image of relevant parts of the packaging so that people trying to buy this (apparently excellent) set don't wind up with one of the inferior sets?

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Feb 1st, '07, 23:49

PopGilligan wrote:After looking quickly on Netflix, I'm a little disappointed that the only drama I could find was Goong : \
There are half a dozen at least of others from YA Entertainments catalog. Go done the catalog at YA entertainment and search for them by name.

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Feb 1st, '07, 23:52

pokute wrote:@sabriyahm - I hate to put you on the spot, but since you're the "guinea pig", is there any chance you could add an image of relevant parts of the packaging so that people trying to buy this (apparently excellent) set don't wind up with one of the inferior sets?
I have lots of techy stuff but I dont have a camera. It will have to wait for someone with a camera phone to visit me. Sorry :-(
But I will ASAP.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 2nd, '07, 00:36

As of right now, YesAsia has two different versions of Goong, both at $89.95

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.as ... 004538998/

The first one is a Malaysian set.

The second one is apparently from YAE, but I don't know if it's the same version that sabriyahm reviewed. I see that they are from two different sites, global and us, which means that they are both available to U.S. customers, but only the Malay set is available outside of region 1.

Since the customer reviewers at YesAsia do not explicitly state which version they are writing about, the reviews there should be not be considered useful when making purchasing decisions.

myrmidon

Post by myrmidon » Feb 2nd, '07, 00:50

My thoughts on this release pretty much match that of sabriyahm's, except that since I actually have a widescreen TV and computer, the lack of anamorphic WS is a lot more annoying, and so I'd rate this a B+ overall. IIRC, someone e-mailed Tom Larsen to find out what the deal was, and apparently MBC was supposed to send an anamorphic transfer but somehow sent the wrong one instead:
http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php? ... 875&st=320 (relevant post is #327)

...I would have preferred if they just delayed the release until the correct transfer was sent. :cussing:

Oddly enough, I seem to remember the Goong 1.5 special on the extras disc being anamorphic. There are a few other extras, including some brief cast interviews, a short on-set documentary, and a video of the poster shoot session (that last one is a real snoozer...). Not a bad batch of extras, actually, although no NGs were included (unless you count the ones that were shown as part of Goong 1.5).

As for the translation; it's pretty good in terms of readability, though I don't know enough Korean to judge the accuracy. Unlike what some fansubbing groups do, they don't preserve terms like 'oppa', or all those Korean royalty titles (instead you get "Queen Mother", "Highness", "Crown Prince", etc.). While some people may prefer to keep the original terms as-is, it's probably too confusing for a general audience, so I can't blame the translator for going that route, even if there's some loss of information.

Oh, and I wish they'd either sub the credits, or provide a still image with cast/crew information. Sometimes I wonder "who directed this show?" or "who played that minor character that looks like that bit character in some other show?" It's not a big deal to me, but it would be a nice thing to have...

Regarding the reviews at yesasia, although the reviews for all editions usually get lumped together, there's usually a note indicating if the review corresponds to a different version. For example:
- This customer review refers to Princess Hours (Ep.13-24) (End) (Hong Kong Version)
- This customer review refers to Palace aka: Princess Hours (MBC TV Series)

Of course the system only works if the reviewer remembered to click on the right version before posting his/her review.
Last edited by myrmidon on Feb 2nd, '07, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Feb 2nd, '07, 01:05

pokute wrote:As of right now, YesAsia has two different versions of Goong, both at $89.95

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.as ... 004538998/

The first one is a Malaysian set.

The second one is apparently from YAE, but I don't know if it's the same version that sabriyahm reviewed. I see that they are from two different sites, global and us, which means that they are both available to U.S. customers, but only the Malay set is available outside of region 1.

Since the customer reviewers at YesAsia do not explicitly state which version they are writing about, the reviews there should be not be considered useful when making purchasing decisions.
The version I reviewed is the second one above.

I purchased another version which seems to be unavailable now. Which is good because it was utter crap and should be avoided like the plague. The subtitles weren't just bad they were incomprehensible. Anyway I edited the review to display some pics but i will update the pics (for the version I have) when I can.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 2nd, '07, 16:21

ALLRIGHT! I think we have done it! At this point, people can buy a set of Goong that will be satisfactory unless they insist on anamorphic widescreen.

Folks who own widescreen digital TV's might consider the grade of A- slightly generous. Those with analog 4:3 TV's should be comfortable with sabriyahm's grade of A-.

ivenxubi

Post by ivenxubi » Feb 3rd, '07, 01:12

sabriyahm,

Can you post a screen shot of the YAE DVD so I can compare it to the HDTV rip? Any episode will do, but please tell me which episode the screen shot comes from and its time position. Thanks.

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Feb 3rd, '07, 03:39

ivenxubi wrote:sabriyahm,

Can you post a screen shot of the YAE DVD so I can compare it to the HDTV rip? Any episode will do, but please tell me which episode the screen shot comes from and its time position. Thanks.
Sorry but I have absolutely no idea how to do that. You could PM me some instructions. I am not really a tech savvy person. Heck 48 hrs ago I thought it was too complicated to edit the Wiki!

HD69

Post by HD69 » Feb 3rd, '07, 03:54

pokute wrote:@sabriyahm - I hate to put you on the spot, but since you're the "guinea pig", is there any chance you could add an image of relevant parts of the packaging so that people trying to buy this (apparently excellent) set don't wind up with one of the inferior sets?
Dvdasian.com has a picture of what the box set will look like.
http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/20983.html

meee

Post by meee » Feb 3rd, '07, 04:09

thank for an information! since i'm hesitated about their subtitles.. now, you said it's pretty good which i'm satifised with your review. :thumright:

i was planning to buy that real boxset tomorrow night. wow you bought it from best buy? it's hella expensive over there... i gonna go to borders; it will only cost me $130 + tax. =X but i'm sure it would worth buy for. :D even i wanna order it online from dvdasian because it's cheap but nah~ :sweat:

HD69

Post by HD69 » Feb 3rd, '07, 04:24

meee wrote:thank for an information! since i'm hesitated about their subtitles.. now, you said it's pretty good which i'm satifised with your review. :thumright:

i was planning to buy that real boxset tomorrow night. wow you bought it from best buy? it's hella expensive over there... i gonna go to borders; it will only cost me $130 + tax. =X but i'm sure it would worth buy for. :D even i wanna order it online from dvdasian because it's cheap but nah~ :sweat:
I did a seach using dvdpricesearch.net for Primcess Hours
http://www.dvdpricesearch.net/cgi-bin/d ... Cart=64778

And DvdAsian.com is the cheapest and also offers free shipping. I notice your from California and I believe they are located in California. I purchased many times from them and never had a problem.

meee

Post by meee » Feb 3rd, '07, 04:41

^really? i kinda distrusted with online shopping for a while... so i dare myself to buy it in store even it's abit expensive. at least, it's not above $150. :P beside i wouldn't wait any longer to receive my order. i'm very impatient person. :sweat:

once again, thanks! :D

[[edit]]

you guys can go to YAEnt.'s youtube.. for their kdrama demo... their subtitles are pretty good... check this out: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=YAEntertainmentLLC

it's probably worth to buy those dvd boxsets. :)

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Feb 3rd, '07, 17:56

meee wrote:thank for an information! since i'm hesitated about their subtitles.. now, you said it's pretty good which i'm satifised with your review. :thumright:

I had a $200 best buy gift certificate. Otherwise I would not recommend Best Buy. It was expensive.

ivenxubi

Post by ivenxubi » Feb 5th, '07, 05:24

sabriyahm wrote:
ivenxubi wrote:sabriyahm,

Sorry but I have absolutely no idea how to do that. You could PM me some instructions. I am not really a tech savvy person. Heck 48 hrs ago I thought it was too complicated to edit the Wiki!
I sent you a PM with instructions. Hope it helps.

ivenxubi

Post by ivenxubi » Feb 5th, '07, 05:49

groink wrote: Don't post screen shots of YA Entertainment licensed works on D-Addicts. Screen shots or motion video - they're all licensed.
Well, if you say so. I thought it'd be OK since when people review a book, they can quote excerpts from it, or when people review movies on TV, they show clips of the movies.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 5th, '07, 17:54

ivenxubi wrote:
groink wrote: Don't post screen shots of YA Entertainment licensed works on D-Addicts. Screen shots or motion video - they're all licensed.
Well, if you say so. I thought it'd be OK since when people review a book, they can quote excerpts from it, or when people review movies on TV, they show clips of the movies.
Screen shots are permitted under fair use for review purposes.

Groink has no "say so", so just ignore him.
Last edited by pokute on Feb 8th, '07, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Feb 6th, '07, 05:02

groink wrote:
pokute wrote:Screen shots for review purposes are allowed under fair use.

Groink, get a life.
Screen shots of a licensed DVD is NOT fair use. And I have several examples of this, such as FoodTV Network having all web sites taking down screen shots of Iron Chef they licensed from Fuji TV.

So why don't YOU start hitting the books before blabbering this sort of bullshit, rather than encouraging people to further place D-Addicts on the **** list of YA Entertainment. I went through this same **** with BT-Slut, and I can compete with you just as well.

--- groink
Umm a screen shot for a review would probably be ok. And I have hit the books. I have quite a bit of knowledge in this area. And on a side note you are kind of mean and snappish. Where's the Love people?

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 6th, '07, 15:55

Groink is being his usual old trolling self. Please ignore him.

BTW, I did better than hit the books, I consulted with an intellectual property attorney last night. I am NOT discussing that in this forum. I have emailed Ruro with some remarks based on my talk with the attorney.

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Jul 6th, '07, 11:46

Mmm....what's so bad about the "bad version" of goong?

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Jul 7th, '07, 05:41

Rasckita wrote:Mmm....what's so bad about the "bad version" of goong?
The subs are not proper English or even understandable English. There will be long periods without any subs at all. Or the subs will say something and then they will keep talking and you think surely they are saying something more then just what the subs are showing. Buy only if you know Korean but I had to constantly refer to the fan subs to find out what they were saying. So much in fact that I said screw it and after episode ten just watched the fansubs.
Of course I buy DVD's of shows I have never seen. I had never seen Goong before. Maybe if I had then the subs would annoy me less because I would already know what was going on. But for a first time watcher it was horrible.

JlovesVan

ya version

Post by JlovesVan » Jul 8th, '07, 17:46

The YA version is expensive but so worth it. I loved this boxset and so far has been my favorite one that I bought. Not only is the packaging beautiful but the subs are fantastic! I had watched the drama before via fansub downloads which in my opinion are usually better than store bought box sets but this set was superb! The menu options were really easy to use as well. Often times it is hard to find how to turn on subs etc. (my Sangdoo box set was difficult in that respect) but this had no problems.

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Jul 11th, '07, 14:37

sabriyahm wrote:
Rasckita wrote:Mmm....what's so bad about the "bad version" of goong?
The subs are not proper English or even understandable English. There will be long periods without any subs at all. Or the subs will say something and then they will keep talking and you think surely they are saying something more then just what the subs are showing. Buy only if you know Korean but I had to constantly refer to the fan subs to find out what they were saying. So much in fact that I said screw it and after episode ten just watched the fansubs.
Of course I buy DVD's of shows I have never seen. I had never seen Goong before. Maybe if I had then the subs would annoy me less because I would already know what was going on. But for a first time watcher it was horrible.
Thanks for the info!
I'm like you, most of the time I buy series before watching them. I avoid downloading the dramas that seem to be worth buying because if I do that, I would end buying the dvd box much later than i want to.

Do you know which is the manufacter of that bad goong box set?

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Jul 11th, '07, 22:05

Rasckita wrote:
Do you know which is the manufacter of that bad goong box set?
Sorry I can't recall.

CaKiLu

Post by CaKiLu » Aug 16th, '07, 17:33

does anyone know where you can find a chinese subbed version? they have it on the chinese channels but its not reshowing the beginning and I wanted to know what happens in the beginning!! anyone know about chinese subs?

thanks so so so much in advance!!!!

BeerChan

Post by BeerChan » Oct 12th, '07, 21:17

Ooh, thank you for all the great information.
I think I'm gonna save up for this release! ^^

Malka

Post by Malka » Jan 18th, '08, 21:22

Hello, can you tell me where I find the soundtrack of Goong to go down? :unsure:
I tried to locate already, but I am not be successful. :-(
The music " Perhaps Love " by Howl and J, I have, but others have not.

Thank you.
Malka

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Jan 18th, '08, 23:38

Malka wrote:Hello, can you tell me where I find the soundtrack of Goong to go down? :unsure:
I tried to locate already, but I am not be successful. :-(
The music " Perhaps Love " by Howl and J, I have, but others have not.

Thank you.
Malka
Yesasia.com is the go to place for buying anything kdrama related.

Rasckita

Post by Rasckita » Jan 31st, '08, 13:40

Hello, can you tell me where I find the soundtrack of Goong to go down?
mmm... seems like Malka is asking where to download Goong OST instead of where to buy it... :P

Anyway...

My cousin bought this YA DVD set and I saw it and watched the episodes and what I have to say is: it's an amazing box set. The video quality, the english subtitles, the extras (all with english subtitles) and the package is amazing! It's worth buying. He bought his for 69 dollars.

odynia

Post by odynia » Apr 18th, '09, 11:29

does the dvd have deleted scenes?
I have seen some pictures from deleted scenes but i am not sure where to find those
thanks for giving information by the way!

sabriyahm

Post by sabriyahm » Apr 18th, '09, 19:03

odynia wrote:does the dvd have deleted scenes?
I have seen some pictures from deleted scenes but i am not sure where to find those
thanks for giving information by the way!
No deleted scenes but out takes are included.

roo7_dxb

Post by roo7_dxb » Apr 8th, '10, 22:13

I LOVE IT

taepung

please help me find this song ! pleaseeee

Post by taepung » Dec 18th, '12, 09:29

anyone know the song playing in the background at episode 5 ? the scene where shin and his friends are talking in school staircase and hy-rin walks by. its not in the goong ost track list ! pleaseeeeee tell me the name of the song i cant find it anywhere :( please please please its at 1:10 ! please help me !!!1