Dong Yi - Vol. 1 of MBC US version or Poh Kim Video box set?

Discuss about all aspect of KDramas on DVD and other commerical medium.
ofloveandbeauty

Dong Yi - Vol. 1 of MBC US version or Poh Kim Video box set?

Post by ofloveandbeauty » Nov 15th, '12, 16:31

Hello! I joined DA just to post this question :)
I need a Region 1 or All Region version of Dong Yi with good English subs. What I've found so far in my research is that:

1.) The US MBC version comes in 3 volumes, and while the 1st can be bought from Barnes and Noble (marketplace seller w/ disappointing ratings), Amazon (marketplace), and Ebay, the 2nd and 3rd are not to be found.

2.) Poh Kim Video Pte LTD. has a Singapore version in an All Region boxed set. However, there is a review on Amazon that says the English subtitles and video quality aren't good.

3.) Kam & Ronson Enterprises Co Ltd has a Singapore version in 3 volumes. YesAsia has the first two marked as Temorarily Out of Stock, while the third is Out of Print.

4.) PMP Entertainment of Malaysia has a 3 volume version, but most places it says it's region 3, although a couple others say ALL

5.) Then there's a couple others by ebay seller resi_huang, but I don't think those are legit.

So those are all my sad options. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Basically, if I want the entire set, my only option is #2, so does anyone know more about the company Poh Kim Video?
Otherwise, I could just settle for Vol. 1 of the US version. Does anyone know if this version is trustworthy (video quality and subtitles?)

Thanks in advance!!

ire456

Post by ire456 » Nov 18th, '12, 23:17

I own multiple US Releases by MBC and I have never had any problems with the video quality or the subs. I purchased vol 1 from MBC just recently beause I am willing to wait until I can find vol 2 and 3 from them as I want nothing but the best. It is your choice, but I reccomend the MBC version and then hunt for vol 2 and 3. I hope this helps. :)

ofloveandbeauty

Post by ofloveandbeauty » Nov 19th, '12, 03:07

ire456 wrote:I own multiple US Releases by MBC and I have never had any problems with the video quality or the subs. I purchased vol 1 from MBC just recently beause I am willing to wait until I can find vol 2 and 3 from them as I want nothing but the best. It is your choice, but I reccomend the MBC version and then hunt for vol 2 and 3. I hope this helps. :)
Thanks so much for the reply! It does help. To be honest, I have an MBC boxed set of Jumong, and was very disappointed with the subtitles. I ended up having to go back to watching it online. Then again, I tried finding the exact dvd set for sale online, and I couldn't find it, so maybe my set wasn't actually produced by MBC? (I didn't actually purchase them myself, so don't know where they were bought.) The MBC logo is the only one on the case.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts! I hope volumes 2 and 3 will be available soon!

ire456

Post by ire456 » Nov 19th, '12, 12:18

ofloveandbeauty wrote: To be honest, I have an MBC boxed set of Jumong, and was very disappointed with the subtitles. I ended up having to go back to watching it online. Then again, I tried finding the exact dvd set for sale online, and I couldn't find it, so maybe my set wasn't actually produced by MBC? (I didn't actually purchase them myself, so don't know where they were bought.) The MBC logo is the only one on the case.
It is quite possible you have a bootlegged version as the only legitimate region 1 release was the YA Entertainment release (MBC only released the show in Region 3 format). If you are looking to upgrade to a better copy, YesAsia.com currently has all 4 volumes of Jumong on sale for $29.99 each. :)

ofloveandbeauty

Post by ofloveandbeauty » Nov 19th, '12, 13:38

It is quite possible you have a bootlegged version as the only legitimate region 1 release was the YA Entertainment release (MBC only released the show in Region 3 format).
Oh no... I was afraid of that! There definitely isn't a YA Entertainment logo on my case. But at least I don't have to worry about MBC anymore :) Thanks so much for all your help!

Just to make sure, is this the Dong Yi that you have: ? I'll probably be purchasing from "Jin Global" on Amazon.

ire456

Post by ire456 » Nov 20th, '12, 01:48

ofloveandbeauty wrote:
Just to make sure, is this the Dong Yi that you have: ? I'll probably be purchasing from "Jin Global" on Amazon.
Yes it is. I purchased from Jin Global. My copy is set to arrive tomorrow. I will let you know about the condition that it arrived in bur i am not really worried. I will inspect the discs as well and keep you posted!

ofloveandbeauty

Post by ofloveandbeauty » Nov 20th, '12, 02:33

Yes it is. I purchased from Jin Global. My copy is set to arrive tomorrow. I will let you know about the condition that it arrived in bur i am not really worried. I will inspect the discs as well and keep you posted!
Perfect! I would so appreciate that! You're even purchasing from the same seller, so I'll get the full insider scoop :) Researching on my own was just getting confusing, so you've been such a great help.

ire456

Post by ire456 » Nov 23rd, '12, 04:13

At first glance, the outer slip cover is in perfect condtion, and although some of the discs had popped loose during shipping, they are not damaged. I will be test playing them tomorrow.

ofloveandbeauty

Post by ofloveandbeauty » Nov 23rd, '12, 17:44

ire456 wrote:At first glance, the outer slip cover is in perfect condtion, and although some of the discs had popped loose during shipping, they are not damaged. I will be test playing them tomorrow.
Great! :)