Planning a trip to Seoul, Korea - June 2008- Suggestions?

Discuss about travelling to or living in another country.
Minie21

Planning a trip to Seoul, Korea - June 2008- Suggestions?

Post by Minie21 » Jan 20th, '08, 19:00

We're planning to visit Korea in June for 2 weeks and would like to see if anyone has any recommendations/suggestions as to places to see and things to do. I've done some research but would like suggestions from anyone whose visited or lives in Korea.

Here's a little info about us. We're in our late 20's and cannot speak Korean. But would love to see all the highlights of Korea. We love the food, so definitely any good places to eat would be helpful. Of course, all of this interest sparked from the kdramas..:) We usually like to venture on our own and explore, however, with not knowing the language, we are a little concerned if we would be able to get around (so we have thought about those signing up for those tours with english speaking guides...). But sticking to a tour itinerary is not our style either...

Any suggestions/tips will be greatly appreciated!

wujou_mao

Re: Planning a trip to Seoul, Korea - June 2008- Suggestions

Post by wujou_mao » Jan 26th, '08, 21:37

Minie21 wrote:We're planning to visit Korea in June for 2 weeks and would like to see if anyone has any recommendations/suggestions as to places to see and things to do. I've done some research but would like suggestions from anyone whose visited or lives in Korea.

Here's a little info about us. We're in our late 20's and cannot speak Korean. But would love to see all the highlights of Korea. We love the food, so definitely any good places to eat would be helpful. Of course, all of this interest sparked from the kdramas..:) We usually like to venture on our own and explore, however, with not knowing the language, we are a little concerned if we would be able to get around (so we have thought about those signing up for those tours with english speaking guides...). But sticking to a tour itinerary is not our style either...

Any suggestions/tips will be greatly appreciated!
glad you want to visit Korea. i took the urge to go there after watching 'jewel in the palace'. you dont need to konw korea or use travel guides. that is a waste of money in my book. if you're happy to travel around freely then this shouldnt be a problem. i too cannot speak or read the language. all i had was a lonely planet guide book and phrasebook.

the korea alphabet is easy to write down if you think you can't pronouce it correctly from the guide book. also have your phone or camera on stand by all the time. it comes in handy when you want to order korea food if their is a display item in the window.

i've still got my guide books and others i picked up while i was there. tell me what you would like to see, performing arts, off the beatern track, visiting temples [even if you're not religious like me], going to the jewel in the palace theme park, etc. i can tell you where i have been, and want to go and see next time. i'll leave it with you.

i stayed around Hyewha metero station, in Seoul. its easy walk to some of the sights which are:-

Gwanghwamun. from march to november, the changing of the guard takes place at 10am, noon, and 2pm and 4pm, daily apart from Tuesday. inside the grounds here is the National folk Museum.

Deoksugung palace. has changing of the guard too, outside its impressive gate.

Changdeokgung. a world heritage palace, but you must join a tour.

Jogyesa - the largest buddhist temple was built here in 1938.

King SaeJong royal tombs - the king from the drama ' jewel in the palace' is buried here. its in wooded Samneung park. its 15 mins walk from the COEX Mall.

you could spend a month in Bukhansan national park.

Suwon, 48 k's from Seoul. has an impressive fortress wall that surounds the whole area from 5.7k's. the newly restored palace [jewel in the palace was filmed here] is worth a look. might have a free sword fighting / displaying skills.
also in Suwon, is the Korean Folk Village. i was mobbed by happy curious young korean kids wondering why an englishman is here and not teaching english instead.

Gyeongju

one of koreans most popular tourist destinations. tones of stuff to see here, as well as another temple palace that was in jewel in the palace [Dae Jang Guem], Bulguksa.

Yangdong Folk Village, Joseon dynasty village.

Andong - this has, yes, another folk village, and folklore museum. bit i think by this point you'll be bored.

but this is a fraction of stuff to see, and times change. i want to visit again, but in another season, like to see the cheery blossems in bloom. buy a guide book, have a ganda reading that, plan your route, and learn to say hello and thank- you in korean. oh, and have a butchers at page 2 of my travel photos of korea. a one month visit there, and i hardly scratched the surface

Minie21

Post by Minie21 » Jan 28th, '08, 22:42

Thanks wujou_mao for sharing your travels with us! I think we have decided to also venture on our own, mainly in Jeju Island, Busan and Seoul. We've read many reviews and others say very similar things as you do.

We are very excited and looking forward to enjoying the wonderful food too! And we've been learning simple Korean phrase from Pimsleur (audio books).

Thanks again! Hope you'll be able to visit S. Korea again to see the Cherry Blossoms:)

mjf

Post by mjf » Jan 28th, '08, 22:57

To Wujou-Mao
I heard there was the shop open 24hrs in Seoul, do you happen to know where, or is there more than one?

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Jan 31st, '08, 18:24

mjf wrote:To Wujou-Mao
I heard there was the shop open 24hrs in Seoul, do you happen to know where, or is there more than one?
sorry mate. perhaps you could ask the question to the koreans who chat here. or pm one of them. i wasnt in Seoul for a great amount of time, at least not shopping. i hate concrete jungles and would rather get out there

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jan 31st, '08, 18:29

Plenty of shops are open 24/7 in Korea. A special good deal is to visit Dongdaemun Market by night as there are a lot fewer people (people can be dizzying during the day) and the prices are reduced at night!

xiah1fan

Post by xiah1fan » Jun 9th, '08, 13:50

Néa Vanille wrote:Plenty of shops are open 24/7 in Korea. A special good deal is to visit Dongdaemun Market by night as there are a lot fewer people (people can be dizzying during the day) and the prices are reduced at night!
Omg.i got yo ask...Do u live in korea....Ahhh thats cool...is it funn there?

meiji_

Post by meiji_ » Jun 15th, '08, 10:28

xiah1fan wrote:
Néa Vanille wrote:Plenty of shops are open 24/7 in Korea. A special good deal is to visit Dongdaemun Market by night as there are a lot fewer people (people can be dizzying during the day) and the prices are reduced at night!
Omg.i got yo ask...Do u live in korea....Ahhh thats cool...is it funn there?
I stayed there for about a month and I thought it was fun! They have huge theme parks and walking around on the streets at night is fun. And so is drinking there, lol. Soju is dirt cheap there :lol

gsyllana

Post by gsyllana » Nov 15th, '08, 11:16

Btw..can you suggest spots that were used in dramas that can be toured in Korea like Jeju Island (my girl) what was the name of the mountain kim sam soon trekked..or the bear museum in Goong..or the beach house in winter sonata...thanks