Entering a Japanese university

Discuss about travelling to or living in another country.
albertoavena

Entering a Japanese university

Post by albertoavena » Sep 11th, '07, 00:15

Wow, I haven't been here in a while..

Anyway, my question is, as the title says about entering a Japanese University.
I've been thinking about it and would surely like to do it. But before I go on, I want to enter as a regular student, not as a foreign exchange student. I want to take classes as any other Japanese student would. My question is, what are the exact requirement or what should I do? I've tried googling but didn't find anything useful.

I am about to graduate with an Associates here (U.S.) and don't know if I should go on for my B.A. or go to JP uni. I know one of the requirements are JLPT lv 1, which I'm planning on taking next year (that or lv 2 then after, lv1). Any suggestions for those who've done it?

Thanks

apartofmylife

Re: Entering a Japanese university

Post by apartofmylife » Sep 11th, '07, 13:31

Have you ever visited this website?

http://www.jpss.jp/

This website is for foreign students. You can search Universities, Japanese language schools, and other information such as visa, scholarship etc.
It looks a good website :-)
頑張って!

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Sep 12th, '07, 04:06

Wow, thanks a lot man! It's a pretty helpful site! :-) I'll definitely use this. :cheers:

Lots of good info for foreign students. I'll look into this more.

Thanks again!

はい、頑張ります!ありがとうね。。

apartofmylife

Post by apartofmylife » Sep 12th, '07, 12:09

どういたしまして :-)  I'm glad to hear you like it!
If you google by the word 日本留学 on goole Japan, you will find more useful websites.
URL: http://www.google.co.jp/
Yahoo Japan is good too.
I don't know what foreign students require to enter a Japanese University because I'm Japanese :P ,
but I am willing to tell you about things I know. I went to University :-)
I had a Korean friend from my University and she was having great time there!
Of course, she was studying so hard and she gained a lot from it!
I hope you will find the best school for you :D
いい学校が見つかって、留学が成功するといいね :D

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Sep 14th, '07, 20:06

Thanks for the great reply! :-) I really, really appreciate it! :D

I searched 日本留学 on google Japan site and was quite helpful actually. It told me many things I should do first before making the move that I overlooked. Really detailed information. Thank again.

That would be nice. I would love to hear some things about a Japanese university. I'll PM you.
I really want to try to do this so any would would be great.

So your Korean friend enjoyed her time there? That's wonderful! Was she studying abroad or was she a regular student, as in taking all classes in Japanese? That's nice to hear she like it. :-)

Thank you so much, I will try my best.

また、ありがとう :-)

Riee109

Post by Riee109 » Sep 17th, '07, 16:48

albertoavena wrote:I know one of the requirements are JLPT lv 1, which I'm planning on taking next year (that or lv 2 then after, lv1). Any suggestions for those who've done it?
You know that 1Q (level 1)is the highest level, don't you?
I'm at the moment learning for 1Q and it's damn hard... (I already passed the 2Q but there is such a big difference between these two levels...)

I also want to study in Japan as a normal student, but that would be in 2009, so I've still got time (I'll apply for the Monbukagakusho Scholarship)...
When do you want to study in Japan? Also in 2009?

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Sep 18th, '07, 08:08

Yup, I know about the JLPT 1-kyuu and have done quite a bit of research on it actually. I know there's four levers, 4-3-2-1 of the test. 1-kyuu being the highest. I actually planning on taking this maybe next December in '08. I figured that if I study hard enough and try my best, I'll be able to pass. Is the jump from 2-kyuu to 1-kyuu really that big?

That's good that you want to study over there as well. I've actually thought about researching some scholarships myself. I know I've heard about the Monbukagakusho scholar ship but haven't done enough research to know about it. I'll check it out.
Initially, my plan is to start applying for schools once I pass the 1-kyuu exam maybe in December of '08. So is that goes well, then hopefully I'll be a student by '09. But I really have to try and study my hardest to pass that exam and improve my Japanese.

Thought of any majors by chance?

Riee109

Post by Riee109 » Sep 18th, '07, 11:23

albertoavena wrote: Is the jump from 2-kyuu to 1-kyuu really that big?

Initially, my plan is to start applying for schools once I pass the 1-kyuu exam maybe in December of '08. So is that goes well, then hopefully I'll be a student by '09. But I really have to try and study my hardest to pass that exam and improve my Japanese.

Thought of any majors by chance?
I think that the jump is really big (except for the listening part)...
By the way, you won't get the JLPT-results until March/April, so i you follow your plan you would start university in '10. (and remember there are often also age limits)

I think I'll study something in the field of Social Sciences and Humanities because then I'd only have to sit for the mathematics, English and Japanese test. The others could be quite difficult depending on my current studies (my majors at high school are English, maths, German and religion)
what do you like to study?

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Sep 21st, '07, 08:38

Ah, I see. I didn't know they took that long to get your results. Well, hopefully all goes well. At least it'll give me time to save a bit more money.

Yeah, I heard the listening parts are pretty similar.

That's a nice field of study. Humanities? Sounds difficult. (even in English hehe)
My current field is actually in IT. I actually go to a technical school now and I'm about to graduate with my associates. It would be nice if I could transfer to a technical school in Japan but I'm not sure my school transfers credits internationally. My school is a little strict on credit transfers. I gotta make sure though.

If they don't study though, I'm leaning towards maybe foreign languages or just start over with my IT degree and see if I can test out of classes. Other than that, I want to try to be a translator. I'm sure if I try hard enough, I'll be fine.

(Sorry for the late reply)

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Sep 21st, '07, 09:18

I think, if you have the money, applying to a Japanese Language School such as Meros (http://www.meros.jp/en/index.php) is the best way to go about it. Not only do they teach you the Japanese you need to know to pass the entrance exams, they also offer courses in mathematics and English as well as student counselling, help with visas and health insurance etc. etc. These schools are for people exactly like you, young people wanting to enter a Japanese university like any normal Japanese student would.

If you don't have the money or the time, it might not be an option, but I think it sounds like a good way.

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Sep 24th, '07, 09:36

That's actually not a bad suggestion at all. I was browsing through the site and they seem to offer quite a bit of useful classes and other things and it actually isn't that much expensive. I'll definitely look into this. What I also like is that they help you with some of the more technical things such as visa and insurance information. Thanks! :-)

Thank you everything for all the suggestions. I really appreciate it! If you want to suggest something else, please feel free to do so.

Thanks again everyone!

erinitegami

Post by erinitegami » Dec 14th, '07, 05:40

Does anyone know anything about study abroad in Tokyo? I go to a CSU and the only partnership they have with Japan is Waseda. :blink

Riee109

Post by Riee109 » Dec 28th, '07, 22:26

erinitegami wrote:Does anyone know anything about study abroad in Tokyo? I go to a CSU and the only partnership they have with Japan is Waseda. :blink
Why do you write "only" Waseda? Waseda is one of the best universities in Japan...

erinitegami

Post by erinitegami » Dec 29th, '07, 06:26

I know!!! but I'd like to have other options too.
I didn't get any financial aid so it's going to be hard for me to pay
(Assuming I still won't get any scholarships)

emerica1123

Post by emerica1123 » Feb 21st, '08, 03:03

albertoavena wrote:Wow, I haven't been here in a while..

Anyway, my question is, as the title says about entering a Japanese University.
I've been thinking about it and would surely like to do it. But before I go on, I want to enter as a regular student, not as a foreign exchange student. I want to take classes as any other Japanese student would. My question is, what are the exact requirement or what should I do? I've tried googling but didn't find anything useful.

I am about to graduate with an Associates here (U.S.) and don't know if I should go on for my B.A. or go to JP uni. I know one of the requirements are JLPT lv 1, which I'm planning on taking next year (that or lv 2 then after, lv1). Any suggestions for those who've done it?

Thanks
JLPT lv 1 is supposed to be really really difficult, but lvl 2 seems possible if you have studied japanese for several years.

good luck

albertoavena

Post by albertoavena » Mar 6th, '08, 20:38

Thanks, I'll try my best!

I actually have another little problem right now that I don't understand very well and it's in regards to VISA information. I've researched and even called the Consulate-General of Japan in Los Angeles for more information but it's still a little unclear. I have the school I'll be attending but I need a Certificate of Eligibility from them. I think I can do that but they told me something about immigration in Japan. Can anyone who has gone thorough the process explain a little bit on how long it takes and what I should do? I'll be attending next year in '09 so I have plenty of time.

vulgarshudder

Post by vulgarshudder » Jul 17th, '08, 17:22

The school you're enrolled at will send you the cetificate of eligibility. You then take that to the embassy where they will put the visa into your passport.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jul 17th, '08, 17:52

Level 1 is suppose to be really difficult. You need to live at least 10 yrs in Japan to be fluent and write it from what my teacher said. If there's a Japanese Foundation around, there should be library materials for it to study from. I could probably borrow some to scan and post on addicts. Then you can get a feel for the level of difficulty.