Going to Vietnam, Taiwan and HK next month

Discuss about travelling to or living in another country.
locasawa

Going to Vietnam, Taiwan and HK next month

Post by locasawa » Oct 9th, '06, 02:09

any suggestions? thanks!

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Re: Going to Vietnam, Taiwan and HK next month

Post by habukie » Oct 9th, '06, 20:56

locasawa wrote:any suggestions? thanks!
you might want to check these threads.
HK advice
Taiwan advice

korean_foreva

Post by korean_foreva » Oct 9th, '06, 21:19

koolz im viet ive neva been vietnam but my cuz say its gr8 ill luve to go taiwan and hk such gr8 placve be sure to get loads of dramas to upload for up ^^....just have a gd time *thumbs up*

korean_foreva

Post by korean_foreva » Oct 9th, '06, 21:19

upload for us *********

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 10th, '06, 02:23

have a safe and happy trip.

those are places i haven't been to in a long time.
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

yatrauv

Post by yatrauv » Feb 21st, '07, 05:54

Eat alot of Vietnamese food....Don't worry about your weight.!!!! (best advice)

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Feb 21st, '07, 09:33

only advice in vietnam, dont run across the road while crossing the road. you will cause an accident which you will be liable. with 15 million motorbikes on the road, and not many traffic lights, it will be fun. jus walk slowly

and dont be a muppet and spend more than 5000 dong for a litre of water. some old white tourists i saw last time there quiet happly paid 11,000 dong for a litre. sure, its worthless in our money, alot for a vietnamese. 50,000 dong works out as 5 UK pounds -give or take

smileytiffy07

Post by smileytiffy07 » Feb 21st, '07, 09:47

hey have fun!
i haven't been to taiwan and hong kong in about a year and a half. and want to go in the summer.. but my parents want me to stay and work (and be productive) while they go.. it SUCKS!
but have fun!
my prolly not so helpful suggestions that i can think of
1. do the hot spring baths not sure where are the best place tho =/ its so relaxing!
2. have some boba (bubble tea) in taiwan!
3. in hong kong there are so many good shopping places but i can't remember them
and enjoy the foods from the street vendors. they're really good!

have a fantabulous trip!

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Feb 21st, '07, 19:17

"next month" was last November, however the person never returned to post on their trip.

Hope you didn't forget to get a Visa to enter Vietnam.

frank_lt

Post by frank_lt » Feb 21st, '07, 20:41

Hi locasawa,

I don't know about TW or HK. But, I 'd get back from VN 2 months ago. good for vacation and relaxing.
the Money Exchange $ to VN. was $1 dollar = $15,000 Dong VN. What's that mean?.
Price 1-To-Pho (Beef-Noodle) US = $5-$6 dollars.
Pho at VN price is = $12,000 to $22,000 (+ or - $1dollar) depending where're you eat.

So, if you're going all day and love pho (Chicken noodle, Bed noodle, and Seafoods noodle) will cost you about $5.00 dollars (Saigon). Don't going to Hotel restaurant, very expense.

Water...The last time I was stayed in Hotel(4 or 5-star) around Saigon about 5-10 miles(Not in central). They'd provided 2 bottles water a day.

Taking taxi. Why? the weather is too hot, and don't worry about accident..yaa.
Taking Taxi to restaurant will cost you about $1 to $2.00 dollars. From your Hotel to Saigon(Restaurant). After dinner and just walking around Saigon (It's safe)then going to Club and listening Life music and drinks .... from $5 to $10 dollars.

For safety, The Best is drink fresh Coconut/Orange $1.00 Dollars.

About the VISA. if you buy the ticket at VN Agency. I believe they will help you to applying the Visa and will cost about $50 dollars.
Have a good time. and have fun.

Note: Eat a lot of Vietnamese foods....Don't worry about your weight.!!!! It's true.

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Feb 21st, '07, 20:52

Hey make sure when you go to Taiwan go to Taipei and get THE BIG ICE CREAM FOR ME KK? : )

PLX DON'T FORGET THE BIG ICE CREAM.....ah man I'm lactose intolerant.....nvm : ( unless its dairy free k
Love will come to you like the blowing of the wind....Quote by me

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Feb 21st, '07, 20:58

smileytiffy07 wrote:hey have fun!
i haven't been to taiwan and hong kong in about a year and a half. and want to go in the summer.. but my parents want me to stay and work (and be productive) while they go.. it SUCKS!
but have fun!
my prolly not so helpful suggestions that i can think of
1. do the hot spring baths not sure where are the best place tho =/ its so relaxing!
2. have some boba (bubble tea) in taiwan!
3. in hong kong there are so many good shopping places but i can't remember them
and enjoy the foods from the street vendors. they're really good!

have a fantabulous trip!
I LUV BUBBLE TEA we have it here in California in the asian supermarket restaurant its so yummy, but it makes me full eating too much of it

spacecommand

Post by spacecommand » Feb 22nd, '07, 00:48

Good advice for future travelers, not sure if its good for the Original poster:

Original Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:09 am
Meaning they must of already finished their trip about 4 months ago, but never came back to report on their experience.

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Feb 22nd, '07, 01:07

spacecommand wrote:Good advice for future travelers, not sure if its good for the Original poster:

Meaning they must of already finished their trip about 4 months ago, but never came back to report on their experience.
omgosh my stomach hurts from laughing right now. :lol I didn't even notice that. hahaaha I didn't post first on this to let you know I was just passing through hahaaha so embarassing :lol

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Feb 22nd, '07, 18:15

spacecommand wrote:Good advice for future travelers, not sure if its good for the Original poster:

well thats just RUDE! :lol damn them...

Taiwan is massive fun btw. Hong kong is a blast too, but Taiwan was better as a foreigner. they loved americans! :lol always a big plus for me. HK didnt dislike foreigners, just more jaded. Reminded me of NY. (so you are from another country, YAWN.........)
Please visit my homepage! :w00t: [url=http://nikochanr3.blogspot.com/[/url]

AIM me at Nikochanr3 if you like. I''''m bored.

allie_oop

Post by allie_oop » May 2nd, '07, 01:59

Really? I'm thinking of going to Taiwan next January, but I have no idea what to do/how much it'll cost me. All I know is that I desperately want to go. :P
Any ideas for good things to see in Taipei if you're a foreigner?

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

wow! sorry for being long-winded... need all of your advice

Post by kylagurl » May 6th, '07, 05:15

Wow, I nv realized d-addicts had such a great forum on so many threads and I only tot it was for dramas and videos ahha...

I might be going to hong kong late jun this year. Something I always think about when I go to a foreign place. Wonder if anyone thinks so too... That you'd lurve to know someone there or make frens there on your trip? But it's not always possible... I always feel that if you go travelling, you should like know some ppl there so they bring you around and you really get the experience of being someone who lives there...

Any comments on the above? I'm from Singapore and I can speak Mandarin and English but my father told me not to speak Cantonese since I suck at it and the people there can make fun of me due to my "fluency" of Cantonese ahahah. Me and my fren wanted to go backpacking but realized that it's kinda impossible given the position we're at and 02 young, inexperienced gurls doing that would be quite dangerous.

My fren suggested Hong Kong cos it's cheaper than Taiwan and she lurves HK shows aha. I can't help but detests being a mass tourist on this trip but seeing all the shopping advice and recommendations so many before this had given, I'm scared I'll go against what I planned to do and end up buying whole trucks of stuff! ARGH!!!!

Sorry for being long-winded. I can't help it! :roll

allie_oop

Post by allie_oop » May 7th, '07, 07:12

I know what you mean, it'd be great to know people where you're going to see what all the locals do! I've never really been able to before because I've only ever travelled with my family. I have a friend from school who promises to do that for me when I got to HK next!

When I was in HK a few years ago we had to buy a new suitcase to take home all the stuff we bought! So pack light, even if you don't plan to spend much money. ;) Also, I wouldn't have thought it's too dangerous for 2 girls to go backpacking together. As long as you're as careful as you would be at home, and you don't go to some countries that would obviously be dangerous, you should be fine.
Anyway, whatever you choose, have fun!

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

a bit more than a lil furious....

Post by kylagurl » May 14th, '07, 08:03

allie_oop wrote:I know what you mean, it'd be great to know people where you're going to see what all the locals do! I've never really been able to before because I've only ever travelled with my family. I have a friend from school who promises to do that for me when I got to HK next!

When I was in HK a few years ago we had to buy a new suitcase to take home all the stuff we bought! So pack light, even if you don't plan to spend much money. ;) Also, I wouldn't have thought it's too dangerous for 2 girls to go backpacking together. As long as you're as careful as you would be at home, and you don't go to some countries that would obviously be dangerous, you should be fine.
Anyway, whatever you choose, have fun!
Wooh! thanks for replying! Really nice to see it. Wahah, yeah, it's fantastic to know locals there so you really get the experience of how it's like. Where do you live? I bet you're in US or Canada and there are many immgrants there from Asian countries like Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea... You went to HK a few years ago alone or what? Oh, u used "we", so i assume u went with frens haha. Yeah, if we do not go to dangerous countries or walk in dark alleys, I bet we're alright. But if we happen to go HK, the ppl are kinda apathetic right? A bit like Singapore, where I'm from.

Haix, sigh... We might not be going HK this June after all cos it's hard to coordinate the dates when everyone is free and we're all bothered by who should go and the dates that my fren suggested to postpone it. However, I'm feeling indignant cos I want to go before university starts in August and who knows what we'll each be busy with early next yr... I just hope everything turns out well, whether we go or not and I'm happy both ways.

I've been working 6 days for the past week to try to save all I can WAhah! Then now a fren out of a total of 3 of us suggested that we go nxt yr and I'm really a bit more than a little furious ahha... :mrgreen:

allie_oop

Post by allie_oop » May 14th, '07, 08:47

Actually I live in Australia, but I suppose it's similar in terms of having a population of all different cultures, maybe even more-so. And, I went to HK with my family last time. A bit annoying because all my sister wanted to do was shop >_<.

Aww, that sucks! I hope it works out. I know how frustrating it is sometimes trying to coordinate stuff with friends. I'm planning a trip (to Shanghai for a month to study mandarin, then maybe to Taiwan or Tokyo! I'm so excited!) at the end of this year, and I'd love to be going with friends, but I can hardly even trust my friends to show up when we're meeting at a lecture, so I'd just rather not have the complication of trying to plan around them and get frustrated if they pull out. Also I'm really excited about going alone- I can do whatever I want, and I'll be staying in a shared apartment with somebody else who's also in the same language school, so hopefully they'll be nice. So, I dunno, maybe you could plan a smaller trip by yourself if your friends can't do it this time?

chubchub

Post by chubchub » Sep 16th, '07, 12:25

hey, its soo awesome that i came accross this thread.

I am actually heading over to vietnam and taiwan MYSELF in jan/feb next year. im vietnamese, and although ive been back to vietname about 6 times..i cant say ive overly enjoyed it unlike every other person that i know whos travelled to vietnam. This time round im hoping to travel up to Hanoi and stay in saigon. any suggestions inregards to what to see, what to do?? must check out eateries/food?? and accommodation. does vietnam even have much of a night life ie. bars/clubs?? coz all ive been to are like cafes and music performances (which no offense im not a huge fan off...sorry if i offended anyone). and me being a girl i know itll be abit unsafe...but i would like to atleast experience what young ppl get up to in vietnam :D

Taiwan..I absolutely cant wait. any suggestions as to which district i should stay in?? ie. shinyi, da'an, shida etc from the thread i gathered that the MRT is convienient but i would love to do abit of travelling on feet and being only 5ft....my short legs can only handle soo much walking :P so id really love to live to a place close to good eateries and entertainmeant.

sorry about my novel length post...and thnx for both past and future advices. :D

wujou_mao

Post by wujou_mao » Sep 18th, '07, 23:10

if you're in Taiwan, dont miss Yehliu national park. have a look at the natural rock formation of the 'queen'.also when you have a chance, chip over to green Island at the southern tip of Taiwan as they have volcanic steam baths there by the sea. Also go to Taroko Gorge which is on the East side which is near Hua-Lien. and also dont miss Alishan forest railway which is on the west side. most people go there for the early sunrise at 4am in the morning. but it was cloudy for me.

apart from that, there isnt much else to see.

i did go to the Salt Museum while i was there. the only white guy was me. everyone else was chinese and no guides could speak English. i cant tell you where the salt Museum is cos ive forgotten where it was. guess its on the west coast area as i travelled all around the Island left to right for a month and i remember seeing it last before i left

[quote="chubchub"]hey, its soo awesome that i came accross this thread.

I am actually heading over to vietnam and taiwan MYSELF in jan/feb next year. im vietnamese, and although ive been back to vietname about 6 times..i cant say ive overly enjoyed it unlike every other person that i know whos travelled to vietnam. This time round im hoping to travel up to Hanoi and stay in saigon. any suggestions inregards to what to see, what to do?? must check out eateries/food?? and accommodation. does vietnam even have much of a night life ie. bars/clubs?? coz all ive been to are like cafes and music performances (which no offense im not a huge fan off...sorry if i offended anyone). and me being a girl i know itll be abit unsafe...but i would like to atleast experience what young ppl get up to in vietnam :D

Taiwan..I absolutely cant wait. any suggestions as to which district i should stay in?? ie. shinyi, da'an, shida etc from the thread i gathered that the MRT is convienient but i would love to do abit of travelling on feet and being only 5ft....my short legs can only handle soo much walking :P so id really love to live to a place close to good eateries and entertainmeant.

sorry about my novel length post...and thnx for both past and future advices. :D[/quote

Mmm, Viet Nam.

its been some time since i was in Viet Nam and sorry to say, its my least favourite country in Asia. i loved Dalat. the locals seem to think its cold. sure, it has cooler climate, but i guess cos i'm british i tend to think its like an ealry spring morning.

Sapa was beautiful. very very cold. somewhat more expensive hotels at $10 plus. even tho its only £5, i only tended to stay in hotels costing $6-8, so i found $10 was abit too much, espically as the hot water is tepid warm and lasted about a minute.

for caves, there is one cave me and my buddy went to. you really have to go before the monsoon as the water level rises and you can't go as far in as you normally can. again, its well of the tourist trail and it wasnt even in our Lonely planet guide book. we found it by word of mouth. even the locals didnt know much about it and had to ask a motorbike taxi for help. the caves are in Phong Nha. its a National park. ask for Phong Nha-ke Bang

for something Viet namie, go to Suoi Tien Amusement Park. again, i was the only white man there. :crazy:

i could of course show you some of my pictures, but that will be spoling the suprise

chubchub

Post by chubchub » Sep 18th, '07, 23:56

@allie_oop wow your going to study mandarin in shanghai for a mnth??? id love to do that...is this thru sta travel...coz i ran accross that and i hope to do that maybe next year if possible after i return from my trip and have saved up abit more money :D you have to let me know how it turned out if you do do go k k??

@wujou_mao thank-you for all your suggestions. i assume these are around taiwan...if i have the chance id love to check out those places...especially the natural formations of the rocks?? sounds intriguing :D

hehehe yeh vietam...lols i guess im on the same boat as you, but i guess i have the advantage of speaking the language yet i still didnt get to enjoy it much!! but ive heard great stories sooo i dont want to give up on it as yet...we'll have to see how this trip turns out :D hehhe ive been to suoi tien many times and i have to say wow have they improved it since the first time i visited...i actually enjoyed it therd :D as for accomodation...wow thats impressive $6-8 dollars. i was looking around and i got a genaral figure of 50+...anything lower were considered hostels. :S now im confused...lols i dont want to pay 50-100 if i can get a better deal :roll

kylagurl
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kylagurl » Nov 13th, '07, 15:11

allie_oop wrote:Actually I live in Australia, but I suppose it's similar in terms of having a population of all different cultures, maybe even more-so. And, I went to HK with my family last time. A bit annoying because all my sister wanted to do was shop >_<.

Aww, that sucks! I hope it works out. I know how frustrating it is sometimes trying to coordinate stuff with friends. I'm planning a trip (to Shanghai for a month to study mandarin, then maybe to Taiwan or Tokyo! I'm so excited!) at the end of this year, and I'd love to be going with friends, but I can hardly even trust my friends to show up when we're meeting at a lecture, so I'd just rather not have the complication of trying to plan around them and get frustrated if they pull out. Also I'm really excited about going alone- I can do whatever I want, and I'll be staying in a shared apartment with somebody else who's also in the same language school, so hopefully they'll be nice. So, I dunno, maybe you could plan a smaller trip by yourself if your friends can't do it this time?
WAHAHA... So are you going to Shanghai in the end? I didn't go Hong Kong or anywhere... But I'll be going to USA Yellowstone National Park for a Work and Travel USA Programme next May to August! WAHAHA!!... Means I'll have to post elsewhere to ask if anyone's there, which I think is very unlikely or someone can still answer me how it's like over there in this thread!! WAHAH...
Dun cry because it is over :thumleft: ... Smile because it happened... :) Everything happens for a reason. :blink: