Wuxia Recommendations

Discuss chinese drama series here.
Synique

Wuxia Recommendations

Post by Synique » Feb 24th, '08, 03:09

Hello,

I'm new here, so if this isn't the where the thread is supposed to be, then I extend my apologies for not abiding by the rules. >.<

I'm very interested in the wuxia/fantasy genre. No modern for me. :P If anyone would like to recommend a movie or show, please do so. Would really appreciate it.

Thanks. :)

Airhead

Re: Wuxia Recommendations

Post by Airhead » Mar 6th, '08, 17:28

Synique wrote:Hello,

I'm new here, so if this isn't the where the thread is supposed to be, ...

Thanks. :)
I wonder about that too, didn't find a thread with google-site search :mrgreen:

as no one has an idea ... my favorit list (I'll go for the visual impact, i don't rate the plot)

Tv Series in order :
Tian Long Ba Bu 2003
State of Divinity 2001
Flying Fox of the Snowy Mountain
Return of the Condor Heroes 2006
Sword stained with Royal Blood 2006
Treacherous Waters
Young Warriors of the Yang Clan
Legend of the Condor Heroes 2003
Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber 2003
Last edited by Airhead on Mar 8th, '08, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
favs: Yui, Scandal, Babymetal, BeBe(베베), Taru(타루), Cherry Boom, Rammstein 8)

plz don`t mind my bad english ... thx

Synique

Post by Synique » Mar 7th, '08, 03:03

Thank you very much. I have Return of the Condor Heroes 2006 since I remember watching the really old version when I was young and loved it at the time. Also got Sword Stained with Royal Blood 2006 :P

I am unsure of what you mean by the Tv series in order though. Although I have ROCH, I haven't had time to watch it yet nor the other one either. (One day I will though.) Do mean that it's one really long epic story and should watch it in that order to truly appreciate the history behind each serie? Also, I was under the impression that the order is Legend of the Condor Heroes, Return of the Condor Heros and then ending with Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber.

Ueda Jiro
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Ueda Jiro » Mar 7th, '08, 09:20

Not many wuxia/fantasy come to my mind. You can try Wind & Cloud, The Sword and the Chess of Death, Chinese Paladin and Devil's Disciples.

For pure wuxia, you can try out what Airhead mentioned. In addition, you might want to try out The Duke of Mount Deer 1984, Legend of the Condor Heroes 1994, The Book and the Sword, Face to Fate and Tian Xia Di Yi (The World's Finest).

For a little wuxia/historical, Young Warriors (Shao Nian Yang Jia Jiang) is a must watch. :mrgreen:

Airhead

Post by Airhead » Mar 8th, '08, 18:17

Synique wrote:...
I am unsure of what you mean by the Tv series in order though....
my ranking based on my preferences

i don't like the new tvb stuff ... because it looks all the same :mrgreen:
favs: Yui, Scandal, Babymetal, BeBe(베베), Taru(타루), Cherry Boom, Rammstein 8)

plz don`t mind my bad english ... thx

Frendyonline

Post by Frendyonline » Mar 8th, '08, 18:48

Ueda Jiro wrote:Not many wuxia/fantasy come to my mind. You can try Wind & Cloud, The Sword and the Chess of Death, Chinese Paladin and Devil's Disciples.

For pure wuxia, you can try out what Airhead mentioned. In addition, you might want to try out The Duke of Mount Deer 1984, Legend of the Condor Heroes 1994, The Book and the Sword, Face to Fate and Tian Xia Di Yi (The World's Finest).

For a little wuxia/historical, Young Warriors (Shao Nian Yang Jia Jiang) is a must watch. :mrgreen:
But not everything in this list is subbed, such as "The Sword and the Chess of Death" and "The World's Finest." I've never heard of "Devil's Disciples" though perhaps I should check it out. I can also add Fairy of Chalice, Genius Physician Ti Ying, Young Zhang San Feng, Twin of Brothers, The Proud Twins and Patriotic Knights.

Ueda Jiro
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Ueda Jiro » Mar 8th, '08, 19:07

The World's Finest has been aired in Singapore with English subtitles but I think no one recorded it so that's too bad. My fansub team is gonna sub The Sword and the Chess of Death.

I don't really keep track of whether a series is subbed or not because I don't require them. 8)

foxhana

Post by foxhana » Mar 20th, '08, 18:51

does any heard of 少年四大名捕? its a hong kong production btw, is it out yet?

loveless_soul

Post by loveless_soul » Mar 22nd, '08, 10:17

foxhana wrote:does any heard of 少年四大名捕? its a hong kong production btw, is it out yet?
Nope it's not out yet but it will be out soon... sometimes this spring... lol. Just check d-addicts for it.

Devil's Disciple's was alright... I've watched better series from TVB.
Here's some more but it's not "wuxia" all the way as there's more historical stuff? lol. Some of these don't have English subs.

Journey to the West
Book and Sword, Gratitude and Revenge
Chinese Paladin (lol no one mentioned this, it's so wuxia/fantasy)
Eight Heroes
Seven Swordsmen
Legend of Dagger Li
Big Shot
The Spirit of the Sword
Lofty Waters Verdant Bow
Lethal Weapons of Love and Passion
Guts of Man
Kim Bum<3
Being here for almost a decade, it is sad for me to see the torrent section goes.
I guess sometimes good things must come to an end :(
- May 2015

foxhana

Post by foxhana » Mar 22nd, '08, 16:43

ahh thanks for the confirmation. :D those are gu zhuang, :) waiting for the film to be out, should be these few months/

kjiang123

The Sword and the Chess of Death

Post by kjiang123 » Jun 14th, '08, 21:35

Does anyone know a website where i can watch "The Sword and the Chess of Death" series

gummonster

Post by gummonster » Jun 26th, '09, 22:27

is there anyone subbing The Sword and the Chess of Death?...
i really want to watch it, it seems so interesting

vancoland

Post by vancoland » Jun 27th, '09, 01:53

gummonster wrote:is there anyone subbing The Sword and the Chess of Death?...
i really want to watch it, it seems so interesting
Jiang Hu Fansubs is reporting that they are doing it on their wiki. You will have to wait awhile though because they have a few projects on hand already
I want to see Li Bing Bing

yanaliao

Post by yanaliao » Jul 12th, '09, 16:57

Try watching Final Combat, it's a funny Wuxia series starring Ng Meng tat, Stephen Chow and Ms. Teresa Carpio

It's really comic and the story is absurd but it's Stephen Chow so I watched it...

yanaliao

Post by yanaliao » Jul 12th, '09, 17:03

Synique wrote:Thank you very much. I have Return of the Condor Heroes 2006 since I remember watching the really old version when I was young and loved it at the time. Also got Sword Stained with Royal Blood 2006 :P

I am unsure of what you mean by the Tv series in order though. Although I have ROCH, I haven't had time to watch it yet nor the other one either. (One day I will though.) Do mean that it's one really long epic story and should watch it in that order to truly appreciate the history behind each serie? Also, I was under the impression that the order is Legend of the Condor Heroes, Return of the Condor Heros and then ending with Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber.
I am a fan of Jin Yong (LOuis Cha) Wuxia Novel but my fave is ROCH. Have you watched The Eagle Shooting Hero? You should watch it first before watching ROCH then maybe watch what happened 100 years after when Zhang Wu Ji appears in The Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre *lol*

BTW, try watching the TVB version, they're better... I felt the China version is a bit dragging but it has a very good scenery! I like Louis Koo and Carman Lee's version of Return of the Condor Heroes, I think as my cousin said it's the nearest version to the book.

Other recommendations:
Andy Lau and TOny Leung's version of Duke of Mt. Deer (Tony Leung here is sooo funny you wouldn't think he's been casted in 2046 or In the mood for love... )

Smiling Proud Wanderer (Xiao Au Jiang Hu) Nice version by Lu Song Xian (TVB Ver.)

yukino2002

Post by yukino2002 » Jul 20th, '09, 17:36

Ueda Jiro wrote:Not many wuxia/fantasy come to my mind. You can try Wind & Cloud, The Sword and the Chess of Death, Chinese Paladin and Devil's Disciples.

I second the Young Warriors recommendation :D

tinjon14

Post by tinjon14 » Jul 21st, '09, 13:04

I started downloding and watch Emperor Han Wu last week, and I think it's recommended too.

However, the torrent is not complete. There's no seeder with 100%. Only peers with maximum 96.2%. It'll be great if there's anyone with the complete torrent seed. Otherwise I would have to miss a few episodes.

mayxi

Post by mayxi » Aug 1st, '09, 00:35

chinese paladin 1 and 3

bellis

Post by bellis » May 3rd, '11, 00:29

Any thoughts on The Legend of Brown Sugar Chivalries? I have not watched any Chinese/Korean/Taiwanese dramas yet but am interested. I love kung fu/wuxia films, and I really dug Takashi Miike's Japanese Crows Zero and its sequel, which is about a high school where dudes fight for dominance of the school. Is Legend of Brown Sugar Chivalries like a wuxia version of that? Any suggestions for me - someone who loves wuxia and is a newcomer to asian television?

ahireasu
Greece

Post by ahireasu » May 24th, '11, 08:14

Hi I am new to the Chinese dramas just watched condor heroes, return of condor heroes And heavenly sword. Well to keep it short I liked the return of condor heroes,what I liked was the love story between yang guo and his gugu. So I am looking similar dramas any suggestion?
Thank you in advance.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » May 24th, '11, 19:08

Strange Hero Yi ZhI Mei - Action hero type of drama, I am on ep.8 I think. It's pretty good.
Chinese Paladin - I haven't watched it because I can't seem to watch Ariel Lin anymore. She pouted and whined so much in ISWAK and TKA... although I really enjoyed watching the series, I can't watch Ariel. Sad but true. How unfortunate and I 've been trying and hope I can overcome it soon. You probably will love this drama :)
Young Warriors - I'm on ep. 2. I haven't seen LOCH but from clips and trailers it looks similar.
Now watching: Need to find some new dramas

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » May 24th, '11, 19:25

These links have Wuxia drama list and synopsis. Hope this helps!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 6822918384 - Click on pic to get links (DL and info)
http://www.azdrama.net/hk-drama/
http://www.azdrama.net/chinese-drama/

ahireasu
Greece

Post by ahireasu » May 26th, '11, 08:39

Thank you for your responce i checked who ariel lin is and when i saw who she is....... she was the reason i didn't like legend of condor heroes.
She is irritating couldn't stand her voice and annoying character,i will check your proposals thank you again :).

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » May 26th, '11, 19:02

That's why I haven't watched LOCH!! :lol

You might want to look at Treasure Venture here is the trailer I have laughed alot and I am only on ep. 2! It has lots of martial arts/kung fu action with the main female lead. Looks like there is a nice love story in there too.