Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

[CDrama] Su Xiao Xiao (CCTV? 2004?)

Discuss chinese drama series here.
ishel99

[CDrama] Su Xiao Xiao (CCTV? 2004?)

Post by ishel99 » May 2nd, '07, 05:22

I know little about this drama, but would like to know more and hopefully there are some who can add to our combined knowledge.

It has been released on DVD and is available through YesAsia right here. This edition does not have English subtitles.

Can anyone please provide an English translation of the Chinese description of the DVD set, as given there by YesAsia?

The title is the name of a 5th century AD Chinese courtesan (ok, prostitute) who was also a poet and who was reputed to be ultra-beautiful. She died of illness at the age of 19 in Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, was the subject of many classical dramas and poems, and her recently-restored tomb is still a tourist attraction in Hangzhou. There is a Wikipedia article about her right here to which I have contributed and which contains everything I can find about her in English. (If anyone knows more, please message me!)

Her poems are some of the most beautiful I have ever read.

She was also the subject of a 1962 movie.

I guess this one isn't going to be a high priority for subbing? But if anyone knows anything at all about it, please share!![/url]

Please correct the TV station and year of airing, or confirm them, and remove the question marks, if you can find out definite information about those aspects.

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » May 2nd, '07, 06:38

The summary is basically what you just said (please excuse my bad pinyin... too lazy too look them up):
Su Xiao Xiao is about a beautiful love story that happened at Xi Zi Lake in Hanzhou. The story is based on a legend, and daringly reinterpreted from the modern point of view. It's partly true and partly made up. It's somewhat a compliment (?) and somewhat an admonishment. The drama rises greatly and falls sharply, with utmost happiness and devastating sadness. It's unexpected and spectacular.

Su Xiao Xiao is the #1 beauty at (some place). She's polite, artistic, skilled, and beautiful enough to compete against the Hanzhou scenery for attention. Even though Su Xiao Xiao is at a brothel, she can't stop the bone-deep love she shares with the scholar (some name), and this scholar is coincidentally her half-sister's (from her father's side) (some name) fiance, and hence starts a complicated and tangled love triangle.

The love between Su and the scholar was not only made difficult by Su's own father (and then some title), but also by the scholar's father, who is a government official. The scholar's father sent a "spy" who is both smart and good at martial arts to break the two up, but the spy ended up falling deeply in love with Su Xiao Xiao, making the love "triangle" even more complicated. And then another government official (insert name) saw Su Xiao Xiao and became obsessive, using any means to try to possess her. Su Xiao Xiao rejected him and he became so angry that he sued her and sent her to the dungeons. This drew the empress's attention. (And then a sentence about the case.) All kinds of people turn up at the trial, arguing against each other for their own opinions. This became a war between justice and evil. Su Xiao Xiao has already been through many difficulties and had a weak heart (broken hearted?). She died at the age of 21, as a sacrifice for the foundation of society.
haha, rough translation. Sorry about the blanks... but don't really feel up to using a dictionary right now. :) Hope it helped anyways.
Last edited by ethidda on May 2nd, '07, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.

ishel99

Post by ishel99 » May 2nd, '07, 06:51

ethidda wrote:The summary is basically what you just said (please excuse my bad pinyin... too lazy too look them up):

haha, rough translation. Sorry about the blanks... but don't really feel up to using a dictionary right now. :) Hope it helped anyways.
Heh heh, never mind those details - what you have given is just GREAT!! Thank you so much for your trouble, it seems the story is based on history but also partly fictional. Now, all that's needed is a team to take it on for subbing... which I doubt will happen. BUT - just... thanks SO much for the help, I can't believe it happened so fast! This is actually an amazing forum!