Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

[Discussion] State of Divinity 2000

Discuss chinese drama series here.

What would you rate State of Divinity 2000?

Life-Altering
15%
See it
46%
Probably shouldn't miss it
15%
Probably shouldn't miss it
15%
Only if you have time
8%
STAY AWAY
No votes

Total votes: 13

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[Discussion] State of Divinity 2000

Post by puccakiss79 » Jan 7th, '05, 03:02

Put spoilers in quote boxes and use white font please!

Put them in quote tags, between these two tags and their closing tags -----> {quote="Spoiler"}{color=white}{/color} {/quote} but replace {} w/ [ ] , whether you keep out the "Spoiler" part is up to you, just as long as we can't see it, and it doesn't blind us. Thanks.

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Jan 7th, '05, 05:30

I've watched this on tv a pretty long time ago so I'm fuzzy on the details. Personally, I think you should stay away from this series. But if I could stand watching most of the episodes, I guess you could give it a try. From what I remember, its long and draggy. I haven't casted my vote yet because I'm kinda biased. Yeah, yeah, this is everyone's favorite Jin Yong story but the main reason I don't like it is because it stars my 2 least favorite actors: Anita Yuen and Ritchie Ren. I think it's because of this series that I dislike them both. Richie has a weird voice and acting. I don't really like it and I can't see why people are so crazy about him. Although, I've learned to accept him (who knows why) when I watched Silver Hawk. I won't even get into Anita! I promise myself that I simply will not watch anything she is in anymore. I hate everything she's in. She is too annoying and I can't stand her at all! I cannot believe how she was in many series and was sooo popular back then. I'm glad its calmed down now. But, I will say that she was better in here than in hua mu lan. I can go on and on about how much I despise that series too. ^_^'

animetama
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by animetama » Jan 23rd, '05, 17:18

Kai Lien wrote:I don't like it is because it stars my 2 least favorite actors: Anita Yuen and Ritchie Ren. I think it's because of this series that I dislike them both. Richie has a weird voice and acting. I don't really like it and I can't see why people are so crazy about him. Although, I've learned to accept him (who knows why) when I watched Silver Hawk
I'm so glad, I'm not alone in hating Ritchie!!
What he did was killed my favourite character Chor Lau Heung!
He was decidedly horrid in it.. */me shudders thinking about it*
Geez, whose bright idea was it that casted him in that role..?!

Ok, I'd gotten over that..

I thought State of Divinity 2000 wasn’t bad, Ritchie again was ugly but that’s ok, this time he was a *bum* so it fitted.. :whistling:
Besides, from that, the martial arts were impressive. The settings sublime. The score beautiful. The story is after all about a song that transcends life..
I did have issue with the pop’ish songs by Ritchie though, but maybe I’m bias..

However, I would recommend this series because, all in all, I did enjoy it.

Cheers.

Shinigami

Post by Shinigami » Jan 27th, '05, 04:07

I've been watching State of Divinity a long time ago :lol
This isn't my fave ancient drama too.
I watched this, becoz I don't have any drama more to watch :P
I was always pending to watch this becoz I can't stand Richie Ren too.
Dunno, But I think, it is too long and the story is to slow.
It can finish in maybe 40 eps but they made till ep 52 (I think)
For me the story started at ep 21 .. before was :unsure:

erhmm and I forgot too, how is the ending :P

msjang

Post by msjang » Feb 18th, '05, 02:57

Contrary to the reviews above, i found State of Divinity with Richie and Anita to be expectionally good. Richie acted well, protrayed his character as needed. I dont know why the person above me thinks his voice is weird and that his acting is weird.....since I find Richie's acting to be very natural and true to the character of Ling Hu Chong. I personally like how he pronouces mandrian, its very distinct and unique, quite clear and crisp and pleasant to listen to.

In the beginning Richie acted playful and worryfree, and a bit naughty....since he gambled and even traded in his sword for money to do more gambling. He protrayed that stage of his character really well, with no fakeness at all. Then as the drama progressed on, his character was forced to grow up, and face the cruel realities of the world. There was a stage where his character was extremely depressed, since he was kicked out of his family and his love (his lil sister, not blood-related) misunderstood him and loved someone else. Richie did a fantastic job at that too, shedding tears *i should say just having tears appear in his eyes and not having them fall* where needed, or he just simply used facial and body language to show his misery.

This is one of my favorite ancient dramas, since i thought the cast was excellent and the martial arts fighting was filmed very well.

I recommend all to go see it! And if you live in Michigan, around Rochester or Ann Arbor area....i can even lend ya the tape, no kidding ^^

clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer

Post by clouds421 » Mar 16th, '05, 01:58

I'm like borderline about him, but I do find him very charismatic. See, Kai Lien went from dislike to accepting him :P And I don't even know traditional Mandarin so I have this thing for accents & I actually like how he sounds, too. I can recognize right away.

Did I mention how much I love this character? It's hard to hate Ling Hu Chong 'cause he's such a great character (except for Chow Yun Fat's portrayal, which made him so bitter in the 2nd half!) OT: I just found out about the China/Sinagpore version with Steve Ma & Fann Wong and kinda want to see it, because I love the story and want to see all the adaptations, but the cast is not that appealing. I CANNOT see Steve Ma in this role. Any comments on this one?

msjang, I actually remember feeling the same way when he was ostracized by the people he loved. He did bring that extra bit of *pain* into it. It wasn't an exceptional series, but I liked it.