Korean Actors/Actresses discussion thread

Discuss about your favourite Korean Actors and Actresses.
Issy

Post by Issy » Mar 1st, '11, 18:03

read the news two days ago. still long time till it airs. but better than nothing. :salut:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 1st, '11, 18:14

Yep...wonder if he's got a farmer's tan now though :P

Btw...Still looking for some movies about tough guys/fights/revenge...but nothing too melo or senseless please^^ Any recs?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 1st, '11, 18:27

Friend (2001). No melo.
No Blood No Tears (2002, with JJY^^). No melo.
Bittersweet Life (2005)
Peppermint Candy (1999)
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 1st, '11, 19:56

Thanks dear,!
Watched A Bittersweet Life and though I don't really like a certain actor t'was alright.
Friends been lying on my HD for ever...Other two sound good, too. Gonna check them out. :D :D

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Mar 2nd, '11, 00:02

Ethlenn wrote:And for Oh Jiho's fans:
Oh Ji-ho, Han Chae-young cast for new MBC drama
Iris? Athena?
It's a good thing I'm not that big of a Han Chae Young fan. Otherwise I'd be a bit disappointed she'll have to work along side a mannequin. :whistling:

Issy

Post by Issy » Mar 2nd, '11, 00:18

Jav_sol wrote:
Ethlenn wrote:And for Oh Jiho's fans:
Oh Ji-ho, Han Chae-young cast for new MBC drama
Iris? Athena?
It's a good thing I'm not that big of a Han Chae Young fan. Otherwise I'd be a bit disappointed she'll have to work along side a mannequin. :whistling:
:cussing: :argue: :cussing:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 2nd, '11, 20:38

I apologise most sincerely for the following. I posted this on the Japanese Actors page but I am bursting to tell you about this actor so copy my post here. Mod. May delete if I am out of place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been hit over the head with SETO KOJI

I first saw him as Mori Ranmaru, Oda Nobunaga's companion in the taiga 'GOU'

Despite the fact that this drama is not historically correct, the casting of these two men is striking. I am sure the real Mori must have been as beautiful as the actor Koji.

Watching him in the drama was intriguing, then I watched a video made by a real fan. I almost slid off my chair under the desk. He is just too gorgeous for words. His work resume is very extensive so his talents are well known in the Japanese entertainment world.

I have never been, and never will be a fangirl....but after seeing that video I could almost become a fanboy.

Noel Coward wrote a song called 'Mad About the Boy' It fits.

You really have to see him as a samurai. I am totally smitten.
Last edited by Peggy on Mar 2nd, '11, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 2nd, '11, 20:59

Sigh...well I know Ethlenn will think I am in danger of loosing it here but really Seto Koji is fascinating.

He is like Ariel and Puck and even Cupid. He is 22 but can look like 12. He knows just what he can do and how to do it and then he still remains a mystery. Just typr in his name and then watch a few of the youtube videos.

The tie that binds me at the moment is the story of Nobunaga and his beautiful companion Mori Ranmaru. That was so much more than merely a page assistant and there must have been a real love in existence.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 3rd, '11, 09:35

I think you are close to loosing it, Peggy^^
Popularity? Since I know what it means to be forgotten, I won''t be shaken by it. KNG

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 3rd, '11, 13:34

Ahem...Peg?!? Ariel, Puck and Cupid? Wow, this boy's really gotten to you, huh?!

I agree with one thing...he looks like 12 :P But then, I've not seen him in Gou. Just in some jdrama i ended up dropping - something no danshi and tumbling - and apart from looking cutsey and being pretty artistic I didn't notice anything about him...he is part of a group of actors called D-Boys, right? I never got their purpose and always thought they're like Jonny's without the success - correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe I'll give Gou a try but I haven't heard much good about it, do you like the series apart from this kid who stole your heart?? XD

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Mar 3rd, '11, 14:34

Han Chae Young... Hmmm.. Didn't mind her in Exhibition of Fireworks, but I didn't love her either. She's a bit cold for me. Oh Ji Ho is warm and cute and adorable and I wanna hug the man! :P

And for all of us scratching our heads as to why Kim Ha Neul would accept the role in You're My Pet opposite you-know-who after the utter failure of MMM and his own fame-fest, here's our explanation:

Right here

According to her management, her hopes for this film include positioning Kim as a Hallyu star. Her action-comedy movie Level 7 Civil Servant (aka My Girlfriend Is an Agent) had some success in Japan, and she intends to increase her activities there following You’re My Pet.
Good to know she didn't get impressed by the staff, co-star or even story (to be honest, I never did like that much), but just wants to expand her influence. At least she's not doing crazy stuff to achieve it.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 3rd, '11, 15:30

Hmm, at least that's a rational explanation. So Haneul joins JGS who precedes her in Japan? Why did he leave first? Any March sales there or what?

As far as I see it, the movie will target all under 18 in Japan and maybe, just maybe, in other countries of THE WORLD. The main focus will be on male ballet dancer (assa, dancing in tights, and full make up! whoohoo) who wants to become a musical actor? Hmm... I know only one transvestite role, and it's Hedwig, played on Korean musical stages. But unfortunately both actors I saw who played the part were manly men, this is why it looked so good.

Oh can't wait... *honing her razors and concocting new poison*

Viande

Post by Viande » Mar 3rd, '11, 17:16

Ethlenn wrote: The main focus will be on male ballet dancer (assa, dancing in tights, and full make up! whoohoo)
Ethlenn, thank you for the image... >.< I still have flashbacks of "water torturing".

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 3rd, '11, 18:47

It may be that I m going into my second childhood. In any case I know that it is really my total absorption with Oda Nobunaga and Mori Ranmaru. Also my brain is addled with sorting out my taxes ready for the accountant. Anything pretty will get me.

I have d.l eight episodes of GOU. Have not watched..well maybe a few scenes here and there and have been reading all the postings from those who are watching. Also reading all the opinions and critiques. Once I got over the fact that it is not historically correct, then I was able to just enjoy the acting and the costumes and general cinematography..which is gorgeous. Nobunaga and Mori only appear in the first five or six episodes since it deals with the ambush at Honnoji. I believe that after that the rating went down. Rising again now so I guess that Gou is becoming older and so Ueno looks the part now.

If you like taigas based on historical characters then this would interest you. I really have to inch away from Ueno at the beginning. Too much acting. The men in the cast are wonderful except that the director has turned Hideyoshi into a buffoon. He was never that in real life so it mystifies me.

Ah well...this too shall pass. :scratch:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 3rd, '11, 20:26

Oh, don't remind me bout the taxes - I need to start on mine very soon, too =(
Those can cause your brain to start workin in strange ways for sure...

I think I'll wait and give Gou a try once some more eps are out. I wonder how they'll develop the story. Those scenes yanie translated from the novel sounded pretty interesting.

Btw, sent you a PM.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 3rd, '11, 20:39

arakira,

Replied your PM.

I was wondering which video of Koji you saw. I'm afraid the one I saw was very obvious and I really have not seen him in anything except as Mori Ranmaru. that was all I needed...

Oh lead me away...I need help.... :crazy:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 3rd, '11, 20:56

I don't remember what clips exactly I saw. Some J-variety long time ago when i still tried to watch those.
And some eps of Atashinji no Danshi and Tumbling - but as I said, I dropped both drama.

Well now that I know you've taken interest in him, I'll let you know if I come across him in some news/shows^^

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 3rd, '11, 21:58

arakira dear,

I have to be honest. I don't give a hoot about what he acts in, it's just the way he is as Mori in GOU. A very silent role almost. And that video just crushed me. I am so glad I am not a teen ager. the angst would slay me.
If I knew how to send it to you I would send the video I saw. 8) If I solve the puzzles with thie wretched win7 I'll tempt you.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 3rd, '11, 22:08

Maybe this will work..??

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 3rd, '11, 22:09

I think it will. Just the first video is all I saw and that was the icing on the cake.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 4th, '11, 09:29

Hmm... 4th round of tickets for Junsu's musical Tears of Heaven was sold out within a minute. And everything because of one 15-years-old girl. I hope some TV station will have the rights to broadcast at least one performance, like they did with few other musicals (Jekyll & Hyde, Mozart).

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 4th, '11, 10:18

Peg, sorry but I am 1000% immune against this boy...I just don't go for big eyes and lips ;)

But thanks to you I started working on my taxes for last year...and on Rawon&Shihu drama to relieve the stress^^

aility

Post by aility » Mar 4th, '11, 10:30

PARK SHI HOOOOOOOO ALL THE WAY!

The ARMS!

THE KILLER SMILE!

THE BROAD SHOULDERS!

THE PECKS!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I found a new man, he is getting a little more space in my Wonbin Heart :mrgreen: :wub: :wub:
Made by Orion ^^

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Mar 4th, '11, 10:48

Wow... Even Aili. We're falling one by one! Am I the only one who goes for one guy at a time then? Oh dear. XD

aility

Post by aility » Mar 4th, '11, 11:30

Orion, I have been devoted for almost 10 years, it was about time to share the love huh? :P
Made by Orion ^^

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 4th, '11, 12:10

We all are monogamists here. One guy at a time. We just define "the time" differently, keke...
Yes... more innocent souls (and hearts) to Namgil-nim, more to Shihu-nim... my evil nature finally gets its offerings...

:alcoholic:

aility

Post by aility » Mar 4th, '11, 12:36

For some weird reason, despite your brainwashing of KNG-nim, it still hasnt worked... though it was REALLY CLOSE when I watched Lover's vanished, but nope...

PSH on the other hand...

I am so into Family's honor now! :D
Made by Orion ^^

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 4th, '11, 15:07

Yes, Family's Honor, a real gem. One of few dramas I own on DVDs even, keke... Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about KNG dramas, ekhem...

So I will develop another method of brainwashing then, looks like this one is not working.

And other news (?)
Yoon Eun-hye and Park Han-byeol on "Taxi" download and what they talked about: On Taxi talk.

So Jisub movie is set to shoot: Only You movie.
And Lee Dahae stepped down from a movie Gabi, and Ju Jin Mo considers stepping down if the shooting delays further: News from Nate.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 4th, '11, 18:48

I don't know about this talk of monogamy. I have several hunks in my cupboard. Just depends which shelf they are on. Some stay in place forever of course but others move around and occasionally disappear. Kimura still has the place first in line. That is after my own true love of course. Naturally. SMAP was just in Singapore for a week doing another CM for the telephone company 'Softbank'. I think they were really stalked by the SG fans. A bit too much I think, but they never were far from guards and assistants when they had free time to shop at a mall for an hour or so.

arakira.. Well sigh.. I must be a pervert because I am so taken with that young Koji. I really do think it is only because of the tie in with Nobunaga and Mori. It is a very touching and romantic partnership and so sad thinking about how they were so deceived by the traitor Akechi. Sometimes I think I must have been there, because it all seems so real that I don't need a drama to show me anything about that action.
It is a little weird that I have been involved mentally with these two for a very long time.

I am sure I will lose the attachment for Koji but never for Nobunaga and Mori.

Kimura of course goes back well over ten years and there is no dust on his box on the shelf....

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 4th, '11, 19:44

I like my "coming back from the Otherworld" crushes (that means they passed the test), but I fear I may not find anyone new to admire. The newest one is from 2009 and it's Jihun. Damn...

Oh, well, I'm perfectly fine with what I got. That reminds me Jihun was considered as Iljimae part but lost to LJK. Ah, I would love that series so damn much even if it still remained such a mess if only, if only Jihun had this part. Ah, An Gilkang, Park Shihu and Ju Jihun... I'd die as a happy woman... :wub:

But seriously, Peggy, I'm little worried about you^^

And since I'm on Jihun period, please, anyone, if you come across his musicals (both Don Juan and the military one), do share some links, please^^
Last edited by Ethlenn on Mar 4th, '11, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 4th, '11, 19:45

Yep I also dunno about this monogamy thing. Keke I like the cupboard picture...though mine should rather be a room-sized chaebol's :mrgreen:

And I'm glad to see aily reconsidering now, too. Cause focussing on just one guy seems to be bad for mental and physical health . . . ne, Orichan?! :P

Peg, maybe your old soul feels some kind of connection, who knows?!
I never got into jidaigeki or Japanese history...though that might well change with next year's Taira no Kiyomori...

Edit I dislike iljimae with some passion but...Jihun in period clothes...jihun fightin...masked jihun...*swoon*

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 4th, '11, 19:55

I think every Korean actor should do period movie or drama or whatever. It should be compulsory.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 4th, '11, 22:09

Ethlenn I agree that Korean males should do historical stuff. Furthermore they should do it when they are young and on top of their form. not when they are getting too 'old' to sweep a gal off her feet.

Just look at the fabulous males in SKKS. Need I say more.

Park Si Hu in costume would be a sure fire hit. Jihun...just swoon.

Ethlenn.
Don't seriously worry about me. I can't get my hands on that piece of fluff so what is the danger. Well... I could throw a spell or two I suppose. Maybe I'll brush off my broomstick one of these days. I'll go your way, so if you see something strange in the sky ....wave. 8)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 4th, '11, 22:22

And we've been having clear sky over here for the last few days, so I will clearly see you :mrgreen:

Yes, there is something enchanting and alluring in Korean in period clothes. The same goes for suit. Attire like that makes man glow and project some reliability. I hope Jihun will make some period movie/drama after he gets back his freedom :wub:

The Diva excluded.

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Mar 5th, '11, 00:13

Orion1986 wrote:Good to know she didn't get impressed by the staff, co-star or even story (to be honest, I never did like that much), but just wants to expand her influence.
Yeah, that show wasn't good.
Frankly if the roles had been reversed, with a young woman being the "pet", more than one would have called out the show for degrading women. Apparently, if it's a young man and older women, it's all good. :roll

Issy

Post by Issy » Mar 5th, '11, 00:31

Ethlenn wrote:I think every Korean actor should do period movie or drama or whatever. It should be compulsory.
yep. totally agree. looking back... most of korean guys i have fallen for were from sageuk dramas starting with OJH. even with PSH who is the main topic in whatever thread that i visit here on DA :crazy: , i liked him in Ijimae but some how his modern look was a turn off for me. :mrgreen:
I can't think of any sageuk that i have watched and have not fallen in love with someone because how he looks in those old time clothing. and now i am going through the same thing with Damo. gosh, I am just so hopeless. :goggle:
Ethlenn wrote:We all are monogamists here. One guy at a time. We just define "the time" differently, keke...
:cheers: YESSSS, this is the BEST self-description i have ever read.
EXACTLY :thumright:

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 5th, '11, 01:42

Jav_sol wrote:
Orion1986 wrote:Good to know she didn't get impressed by the staff, co-star or even story (to be honest, I never did like that much), but just wants to expand her influence.
Yeah, that show wasn't good.
Frankly if the roles had been reversed, with a young woman being the "pet", more than one would have called out the show for degrading women. Apparently, if it's a young man and older women, it's all good. :roll
Well I have to say I did like the story, and I wouldn't mind a male pet - though I'd choose a cuter or at least younger one :P
Although I wouldn't mind seing it with reversed roles and a female pet, but I guess that's too much of a common occurence and wouldn't really suffice for a whole movie's story, unless it's a pinku :mrgreen:
Ahem and yes, I guess it's degrading young men and yes, I guess I should apologize to those who feel offended for my sexist, misandrist views..."sorry" :salut:

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 5th, '11, 02:17

:scratch:

arakira do you think I should even reply to Javs post??

I mean I would love to have .............Ah no I have to rehab myself.

:D :argue: listen to myself, :cussing: :whistling: 8)

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 5th, '11, 02:35

Seems to me that Hollywood already did a long movie with older man and younger girl. James Mason in 'LOLITA'

Also seems to me that he was the loser in that set up.

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Mar 5th, '11, 03:50

arakira wrote:Well I have to say I did like the story, and I wouldn't mind a male pet - though I'd choose a cuter or at least younger one :P
Don't go too young. Well if you live in New Jersey, I guess you can go that young. :D
Peggy wrote:Seems to me that Hollywood already did a long movie with older man and younger girl. James Mason in 'LOLITA'
Yeah, because of the novel the book the movie was based on, people now use lolita to refer to a sexually attractive young girl.
But that wasn't a owner-pet relationship. They were straight up lovers, weren't they?

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 5th, '11, 05:11

Well I am not sure you could call them that. He was many years older and she was supposed to be barely a teenager. Also he was besotted with her to the point where she could twist him around her finger to get anything she wanted, and make him do her bidding. She was not a nice human being really. He was pathetic. He would have been called a pedophile even tho she was not an unwilling partner. I don't remember all the film but it was not a favourite of mine. James Mason was a favourite and he played so many different types of roles.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 5th, '11, 13:14

Hello Jav's new avatar!! Not that the old one wasn't a looker...but this one is gorgeous!
Sowwie. I'm not American so I have no idea about new Jersey...but we do have pretty liberal and secluded areas here in good ol' Europe :mrgreen:

Peg, no, no need to answer to know what's on your confused mind :P Oh well...it's legal age at least . . .

I only read Lolita, which I found an interesting book but not all that great - and yep, she's in some respects like a pet, which likes to be spoilt - but not a tame one :P Her owner/lover/father figure was pathetic indeed - but what would you expect from a guy who marries a woman cause he's got the hot's for her daughter? Too bad almost everybody dies in that novel...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 5th, '11, 13:32

Lolita... hmm, there are so many critical works on this one, and even Nabokov wrote his own once (or was it a lecture only, can't remember). As Peggy said, she wasn't all that innocent.
And I think there is a confusion here. Making someone as his/her pet excludes eroticism, because you don't perceive the "pet" as human being and unless you're zoophile... ok, skip that, you see the "pet" as pet only - the one that comforts you, gives you unconditional devotion and you pay it back with care and love.
But when you subdue someone to your sexual desire, a girl or a boy alike, this is what we can call abuse or sadism (read Justine if you are all that brave, keke, I puked). This is what happened in Lolita - it was mutual abuse of power. Humbert abused his power as the "father figure", older, experienced man, and Dolores abused her power of fresh and luscious eroticism. They are both guilty. It's not like he made her to do things she didn't want to. She was fully awake of her will.

To sum up, this is why I think the situation is different. And the difference lies not in who is subdued but how. As I said, it can be boy or a girl, but not seen as sexual objects.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 5th, '11, 14:12

What's the use of a human pet if you exclude eroticism? Can humans do "unconditional devotion and you pay it back with care and love." without a sexual notion?

If Lolita had been of age, I guess it could have been called a dependent or interdependent relationship - at least in the beginning. Since she's still a kid, it's abuse...I might just be perverted, but I can imagine a pet-like dependent relationship without a sadist notion...at least physically...ahem ;) I think that's the difference between a lovable pet and a mere slave -which is also why Lolita is no way near Justine (de Sade's ill mind made me wanna puke, too).

Afterall, in the KwP story we talked about initially, they fell for eachother, too, right?

Well I guess our definition of a human pet just differs widely ;)

Edit: Peg you can win a date with your boy if you buy his group's new CD
Last edited by arakira on Mar 5th, '11, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Mar 5th, '11, 15:10

Talk of lolitas and sadism and general pervertedness... This topic just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it? :P

As for the "pet" notion, no man and woman who are strangers can live together in a "pet" relationship and have it be platonic. No way.
It simply isn't possible unless one of the members is gay or somehow mentally disabled or autistic. And still, the whole "pet" idea is sick.

You can't and shoudn't keep a person as a pet. A pet is an animal. It has basic instincts, it doesn't talk and has no human intelligence.
The closest relationship to a pet-human one with humans, is that an adult has with small children. It has very few basic similarities.
You play with kids, find them adorable, hug them and show them affection and that's about where the similarities with a pet end.

But keeping an adult person you don't know in your house and treating them like a puppy should point a clear and straight way to a psychiatrist.
It's just one of those things that are used as cute devices in manga and dramas, that would simply be too sick and twisted and wrong in real life.

Which is why I didn't like You're My Pet. Unless suffering from some total lack of common sense or having been raised by wolves or something, no person can be like Sumire and be mentally healthy.
However, you CAN have a person living with you as a roommate or a friend, but those relationships have equality in them and both parties treat each other the same way. The "pet" idea is just wrong.

As for Lolita, I find pedophiles as ill as any person with another mental illness and think they should be locked up. It's cruel, but if they can't help themselves, someone should help them and their victims.
Someone who kills people because of a mental illness isn't to blame 100% for their actions, but that doesn't mean they should be left wandering around just cause they can't help themselves. Same thing.
In Lolita, the "father" was simply wrong, anyway you slice it. It just happened that the girl was a total sl*t too. She used his sickness and played him for all he had. They're both scum, just of a different nature.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Mar 6th, '11, 02:22

:pale: arakira,

You almost scared me. I am not interested in those lads. I don't know them or their music. Never heard of them in fact.

It's the Mori boy who is tweaking my brain or whatever. Just the Mori.

I am over this....really I am. Just Mori remains.

I know my boundaries.. and my limitations...and my capabilities

I am over this...really I am....

aility

Post by aility » Mar 8th, '11, 13:40

I am so happy to hear about your Mori phase Peggy, it makes me feel less bad about myself, hahaha...

I saw him in a jdrama, but didnt notice him all that much as there were other distracting factors.

My recent PSH obsession has given me the explaination why his eyes creep me out, that man doesnt sleep more than 2-3 hours per night due to his tight schedules. And sometimes he prioritise reading fan letter instead of sleep...

People are just insane, they cannot be human. it isnt healthy!!!! :cussing:

I sincerely hope he will take a break now, get rested and come back more refreshed!
Made by Orion ^^

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 8th, '11, 18:05

Because he's an idiot.
He should care more about his health, because ruining that will ruin his acting abilities, and he progresses with acting really fast.
I do not want to see him in next 6 months. Period. :wub:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Mar 8th, '11, 21:23

Kang Ji Hwan doesn't want to lose Faith

Fight, Fight, FIGHT!!!! Don't let em win! I'll watch a sageuk for you, damn it! Do it, oppa!Don't know who's right in this, but either both parties should stop all activities or both continue.
Stopping an actor from working can mean the end of their career. The army is bad enough. Such issues should be solved without halt in activity which can mark someone for life.

Oh man, crossing all fingers, toes, arms and legs that they don't stop him from working! Said this before? Might have! I'm just so glad to hear news of him! It's been too friggin' long!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 8th, '11, 22:43

Oh good! Good!! Fight them! Bite them! We can bite too!
They should settle this as soon as possible, hampering the actor's career is basically putting a death warrant on them.

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Mar 9th, '11, 00:23

Ethlenn wrote:To sum up, this is why I think the situation is different.
I agree, in Kimi Wa Pet it wasn't all sexual nor was there an obsession.
Orion1986 wrote:As for the "pet" notion, no man and woman who are strangers can live together in a "pet" relationship and have it be platonic.
Yeah, with two healthy adults there's bound to be sexual tension.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 11th, '11, 16:32

Happy Birthday to this wonderful actor!
1979/03/11

Ara, I don't know about you, but I'm going out to celebrate. :alcoholic:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Mar 11th, '11, 16:43

Happy Birthday to Mr. Ha!

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 16th, '11, 11:25

Been off for a while, but I did celebrate the birthdays of 2 of my fav actors last week ;)

Btw, best of luck to producer/director Kim Jho Kwang-soo to get his same-sex marriage recognized. Dunno about the huge age difference, but I kinda feel coming outs of celebrities can help to promote gay rights and maybe one day, such news won't be called shocking or scandal anymore...Fighting! :cheers:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 16th, '11, 19:10

Hmm, but isn't he transgender?

But yes, I hope the society can be more open about those issues. We need another "Life is Beautiful" drama. Fighting!!

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Mar 17th, '11, 02:01

Best of luck with that. Marriage is really just a legal procedure. You are officially a couple and that helps with many things, mainly bureaucracy issues. It also provides some benefits.
So, I don't see why people of the same sex can't get married, at least legally. Aren't they entitled to the same treatment from society as any other person? I find it irrational to say no.

As for the church issue, well, if pedophile priests, the church being filthy rich, trafficking drugs, killing men in the name of God etc don't make Him mad, I doubt a gay couple will.

Best of luck to them and let's hope for a day when gay couples can marry and have kids like everyone else, all around the world. It's a tough battle, but societies are slowly "getting" it.

In other news, it seems lots of celebrities are donating money for Japan. I know these are usually marketing stunts and I can't say I know or love all these people, but it's still good.
One can't be greedy in today's world and we shouldn't demand they all do it "out of the kindness of their hearts", as long as they help. I can dig that. Since it's used for good and all.

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Mar 18th, '11, 02:09

Not that I thought she needed to lose weight, but it's good to hear Lee Si Young did it in a healthy manner. Rather than starving herself. But she did surprise me with her hobby. Not everyday you see an actress boxing. :D

aility

Post by aility » Mar 18th, '11, 23:10

Happy birthday Kim Rae Won! We miss you killer smile and look forward to have you back soon!!

Also, congrats, happy birthday to one of the best unnis ^^ : :wub: :wub: :wub:
Made by Orion ^^

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 18th, '11, 23:28

Happy Birthday to Raewon!!! :heart:

Aww... :wub:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Mar 18th, '11, 23:48

Happy Birthday to this-guy-I-don't-know, since you ladies love him to much! :cheers: Well, I'll cheer for anyone's birth as long as they make someone happy.

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » Mar 19th, '11, 00:00

Im with Orion there :D I know I have seen his name somewhere or watched him in something but HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you and your killer smile...i've read! :D

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 19th, '11, 11:49

AHH, and I missed another fav guy's B-day
Happy belated!! Can't wait to see him back from the military! :wub:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 19th, '11, 12:21

His Birthday is today, March 19. As soon as midnight was on our side of the planet, we wrote it^^

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Mar 19th, '11, 23:38

Happy Birthday to Kang Ji Hwan! Never lose "Faith", my good man! We're waiting for it! Fight them!

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 20th, '11, 08:55

Oh, Happy Birthday!!
In this situation, I can wish him strength and strong will!! Some fans around Europe await!! :cheers:

esmer86
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by esmer86 » Mar 20th, '11, 17:53

Me likey Kang Ji Hwan :wub: and better, I know of him! :D Happy Birthday!.....and I will have faith that you come out on your drama.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Mar 20th, '11, 18:26

Exactly. We must keep the faith. In more than one ways!

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Mar 21st, '11, 08:54

Wahh, March is a good month for actor it seems...All the best to Mr Kang.
Keeping my fingers crossed for "Faith", too^^

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Mar 22nd, '11, 18:15

Ha Jung Woo won an award for the Best Actor in Asia yesterday. Let's celebrate!! :alcoholic:

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Mar 23rd, '11, 14:26

I'll celebrate by eating rice-meatball soup cause I'm too sick and too tired for any other kinds of celebrations. Ahaha.
But yaaay! Well, I haven't seen the movie, but you can tell this guy's awesome. I should see more of his stuff soon.

And I just found something really disturbing and interesting in an interview with Jung Il Woo.

Here's a little cut from it:

Jeong Il-woo lost weight for an image change. His cheeks went in as he lost 5 kg. This was a way to become a 'man' from a 'boy'. This drama should show us how Jeong Il-woo has changed in the past 2 years.
"I purposefully lost a lot of weight. I wanted to lose the baby fat and look more mature. It's difficult to explain, but when the drama starts you can see what Jeong Il-woo is doing. I have to show that the past 2 years haven't been a waste of time".

See, that's the problem Koreans actors and fans have in their mindset. So, you go from "boy" to "man" by getting skinny? THAT'S your secret for manliness?!?!!
And "baby fat"? So, healthy fat and volume on a person makes them somehow defective and too young? My jaw seriously dropped to the floor when I read this.

Do all these people who lose weight to the point they look anorexic think it makes them look older or manlier? It just serves fangirls and fashion designers very well.
If fans want it and you want to please them, lose weight. If the role demands it for some reason, lose weight. But don't kid yourself losing weight makes you manlier.

Just because we can see your skeletal structure and your skin sags, doesn't suddenly make you old and sophisticated. Just creepy and unhealthy looking, in fact.
Constant weight gain and loss does make you look older cause the skin becomes to frail and saggy that your face gets ugly. Like what happened to Jang Keun Suk.
But I just find this whole trend very irresponsible to one's body and health. And actors and the industry shouldn't encourage it. Not all actors want to have to do this.

Jav_sol

Post by Jav_sol » Mar 24th, '11, 23:08

Orion1986 wrote:"I wanted to lose the baby fat and look more mature.
Baby? How old is this guy? C'mon dude, if you're over 20 there should be nothing 'baby' about your body unless you missed the puberty train. :roll

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Mar 25th, '11, 00:45

While I saw no need for Ilu (or any other already really skinny Korean star) to lose anymore weight, I do get where he's coming from. He did have some baby fat in his cheeks, making them chubby and cute. I didn't pay much attention to it while watching 49 Days, but after I compared pictures from before and now, he really does look hella different!

I didn't mind his old look at all, but from that exact interview I understood that he suffered from his former cutesy image (getting typecasted and all that), and thus I understand why he wanted to change his style. Dunno if losing weight is the way to go, but I do see the difference at least.

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Mar 25th, '11, 00:47

Well, if fangirls call older and manlier men "flower boys", what would they call a young one with some nice weight on them bones?
Seriously, that disturbed category of fans has been responsible for so much crap worldwide. And industries keep feeding them.

And of course they do. They get gooood money from them. But at least keep them controlled. And teach your celebrities to change the norm, not go with it.
Celebrities have a tremendous power to make the fashion and trends. If THEY don't try and show these numbskulls what SHOULD be admired, who will?

If all these guys who keep "losing 5 kilos for the part" suddenly all decided to look healthy and put on some weight, what do they think would happen?
Fans would b*tch and moan about how this new trend of "fat people" is annoying and soon enough, it would be the next fashionable and cool thing.

Instead of trying to compete one another on who can take away most of the fat from their bodies or have the most lumps (on the flipside), they can fix this thing.
Change the trend, for your health's sake, and then you can keep competing on "who has the most balanced" weight, instead of who's the skinniest and leanest.
Same with women and weight and also plastic surgery. But that's another dire subject and I won't go into that huge of a mess right now. Not enough energy. XD

SSpiegel, that's exactly what I mean. A man has some fat and fangirls rush to call them cute and "Awww! Those cheeeks!". They drive their actors to this crap.
They make perfectly healthy and masculine men feel like they're too cutesy, because fangirls seem to think men should look like something straight off a yaoi.

And something I just found at Hancinema. I rest my case.

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Mar 25th, '11, 02:42

Orion1986 wrote:
SSpiegel, that's exactly what I mean. A man has some fat and fangirls rush to call them cute and "Awww! Those cheeeks!".
From what I know, baby fat and chubby cheeks have always been considered as cute (probably pretty universally, too). I wouldn't pin the blame on fangirls on this one. I think it's pretty natural for people to consider all things round and soft as cute. Or maybe it's just me.

But, in general, I do agree. The public is a bit too hard on their celebrities. If someone even gets near the normal weight range, he/she gets bashed for being fat. The example you brought up was absolutely ridiculous, but unfortunately very common. They look perfectly fine, but still they are demanded to go on a serious diet. :(

Orion1986

Post by Orion1986 » Mar 25th, '11, 03:11

What I meant was that baby fat and chubby cheeks on children is one thing and fuller cheeks on a grown man is a whole other ballgame entirely.
I blame the fangirls, not for finding baby fat and chubby cheeks cute, since everyone does, but for "seeing" those traits in grown handsome men.

Meaning, just because a man has some volume on his cheeks, that doesn't make them cute in the same way that it would make a child cute.
It's the extreme fangirl tendency to find cuteness and fluffiness in all that somehow translates a healthy face to "baby face" and "he looks young".

So, anyone who doesn't have sharp features, rough edges, hair and other more macho characteristics, is suddenly seen as too cute and cuddly.
So they go skinny so that their muscles can be seen through their skin and their cheekbones look accentuated with the cheeks sunken so much.

And I get doing it for a photoshoot or a movie that requires it. But filming drama is one tough thing to do. You NEED to be at your best health for it.
All the work, the looong long hours and the last thing a man needs is to also be too skinny to cope. So they end up in hospitals and on IV therapy.
And some can't even gain the weight back. Look at Hyun Bin. The latest army pictures I saw were downright scary. Why do that to healthy men?

Just so they can sell more clothes and show "menly" men to fangirls who wouldn't know a real man if he stood before them morning, noon and night?
Isn't there some organization or something to protect the rights of these people to a healthy normal life and isn't there a union for them to help themselves?

And yes, the Park Shin Hye article is just nuts. For one thing, two pictures taken at a different place and from a different angle are BOUND to have differences, you know.
And also, WHAT? Dang... Send the girl to a training camp or something. She can barely fit in that pic with all the double chins and bellies. Ffs, people. She's just normal.