Is it Lee Jun ki or Lee Joon ki?

Discuss about your favourite Korean Actors and Actresses.
LisainCalifornia

Is it Lee Jun ki or Lee Joon ki?

Post by LisainCalifornia » Jul 28th, '06, 01:41

I have seen it printed both ways by different websites/sources--which one is correct?

Lee Jun Ki or Lee Joon Ki? And is Lee his "last" (family) name?

Thanks,
Lisa

Please Buy From Amazon By Clicking Below To Help D-Addicts Forum:
xox-Beautifully-Broken-xo

Re: Is it Lee Jun ki or Lee Joon ki?

Post by xox-Beautifully-Broken-xo » Jul 28th, '06, 01:46

LisainCalifornia wrote:I have seen it printed both ways by different websites/sources--which one is correct?

Lee Jun Ki or Lee Joon Ki? And is Lee his "last" (family) name?

Thanks,
Lisa
I believe it's "Lee Jun Ki" since the sites I go to spell it that way. The only place I know of that spells it "Lee Joon Ki" is DramaWiki. And yes, "Lee" is his last name. Hope that helps. ^^v

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Jul 28th, '06, 02:08

I believe either Jun or Joon can be used. "ㅜ" is u or oo. I think this is just like the character Yoon from MISA. One subber romanized the name Yoon and another Yun. So either is used. I wonder if some teachers say to use one or the other in Korean Language classes. Any Korean Lang. students?

shiny plastic

Post by shiny plastic » Jul 28th, '06, 03:29

I'm guessing it's the way they romanize korean characters. "Jun" and "Joon" sound very much alike. I also had this problem with song hye "kyo" and song hye "gyo". I don't think both versions are correct.

Saragorn
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Saragorn » Jul 28th, '06, 05:24

They're the exact same sound, just different romanizations. However, almost everyone uses "Jun," so that's what I go with. I also think Song Hye Gyo and Song Hye Kyo are the same person, unless the "k" is actually "ㅋ" and not "ㄱ." ("ㄱ" is romanized as either "g" or "k," but I've only seen "ㅋ" romanized as "k") Some stars seem to have one spelling and one spelling only, while others have whatever romanization you want to use.

(Disclaimer: I don't actually know Korean, I've just picked up some Hangeul... :shhh: )
Av - mitani; Banner - heechul_oppa

LisainCalifornia

Post by LisainCalifornia » Jul 28th, '06, 07:10

Thanks, guys--I will go with Jun Ki, too! It sounds cuter, too--just like him :thumright:

I have never been to Dramawiki, but I saw it printed in newspaper reports as Joon Ki, and then later saw people referring to him as Jun Ki--so I was confused.

I just posted in the My Girl thread about my love of that series. I have some other questions there, if you feel like reading and answering. No pressure, though :-)

Take care,
Lisa

sweet kiss

Post by sweet kiss » Jul 28th, '06, 07:19

in theory Joon is probably more correct since joon = 준 and jun = 전 (like jun jin) but its phonetic spelling so theres not really a rule

azn_desire

Post by azn_desire » Jul 28th, '06, 07:24

oh his official website its jun ki

zaechi

Post by zaechi » Jul 29th, '06, 05:56

oh.. whatever, however it is spelled.. i still love junki!

jae-ahn

the truth is.......

Post by jae-ahn » Jul 30th, '06, 08:18

the truth is...
the "lee jun ki" is his screen name...
so that it's short...
while thr "lee joon ki"

is his "reaL" name.....

babytarragon

Post by babytarragon » Jul 31st, '06, 01:07

from Langintro korean language site "[The standard way of writing Korean using English letters, known as Romanization, uses the letter u to stand for this oo sound, and that's what we'll use from now on.] "

so depends if you use the official romanisation or not....but according to the official romanisation 기 would be gi not ki cos syllables are supposed to start with g if the letter is used...my god korean is complicated... therefore his name should be Li Jun Gi right...lol that looks bad.... I like Lee Jun Ki best, it looks nicest ^-^

CCiL

Post by CCiL » Aug 30th, '06, 14:43

i believe its "jun Ki" .. this guy so good-looking =P

Cefuroxime

Post by Cefuroxime » Aug 31st, '06, 06:07

"u" and "oo" are pronounced the same. It's up to you which one you prefer to use. As for me, I'd go for Lee Jun Ki. Looks better.

Btw, in Korea (Japan and China) the family name comes first. And you can't just call a person's first name and don't forget honorifics. ^_^

Koreanpie

Post by Koreanpie » May 8th, '07, 13:44

in english it's spelling should be Lee Jun Ki..but the correct way of pronouncing his name in korean is i-jun gi..hehe^^(the dash is for nothing btw..haha)

Koreanpie

Post by Koreanpie » May 8th, '07, 13:52

ㄱcan be pronounced as g,k,and also ng ㅋis only pronounced as k..btw, babytaraggon,why does your avatar cartoon look so sad saying annyeong ha sa yo?..haha

xiah1fan

Post by xiah1fan » May 8th, '07, 13:59

OMMGG IS soo that tootlay Lee Jun Ki.....And by the way i hate when people say so casue When i read it i dont get Who They are Talking about!!!!

meera

Post by meera » May 9th, '07, 01:54

yeah...i noticed...they have so many ways of spelling actor's name.....
i myself is also very confused...!!!

bean

Post by bean » May 10th, '07, 16:59

Koreanpie wrote:ㄱcan be pronounced as g,k,and also ng ㅋis only pronounced as k..btw, babytaraggon,why does your avatar cartoon look so sad saying annyeong ha sa yo?..haha
Wah :blink . Are u really from malaysia?? How can u noe so much about korea pronouciation?? I from malaysia too but i cant even read a korean word, haha :lol .

I respect u ! Know so many diff language ...

cebusnacker

Post by cebusnacker » Jul 24th, '07, 20:08

yup i am pretty sure it is Lee Jun Ki but in hangeul it is Lee Joon Ki.

cinnamonRox

Post by cinnamonRox » Jul 25th, '07, 22:46

I thought it's Lee Joon ki but Lee Junki is like what fans call him?

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Jul 30th, '07, 08:16

The romanization of Korean names is tricky, as there is no universally accepted standard. Lee Joon-ki is what I would write, but that's just because I try to be consistent with myself. For all I know, the actor himself might prefer Jun-ki.

The "consistency with myself" is that I started writing Ahn Jae-wook and Choi Ji-woo, say, before knowing about LJK, who has the same character in his given name. Oh yes, so has Bae Yong-joon.

Sakari

Post by Sakari » Jul 31st, '07, 09:56

LJK's family name, Lee, is tricky, too. It is, in fact, a single vowel (as well as a single Korean character). KDrama viewers will remember the main girl from Goong S, actress Heo I-jae. That I in her given name is the same vowel. Want to be consistent? Just write LJK's name as I Joon-ki. Well, some people write Heo Yi-jae, which leads to Yi Joon-ki.

No, I don't know why a single Korean (vowel) character is romanized as Lee, that is, where the L comes from. On the other hand, it only seems to happen when what is to be romanized is this particular family name. Surely everybody writes kamsahamnIdah, not kamsahamnLEEdah, say; ajeosshI, not ajeosshLEE.